Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2012, 12:57   #5536
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is it ok to polish the windscreen with, say a Sonax polish?
no point/use polishing a windscreen with wax or polish. all it does it attract more dust and make it worse.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 13:47   #5537
BHPian

Detailing my Alto,
It had been a long time since i gave my alto some pampering,its a 2008 may model.last if it got some detailing touch was by ultimate detailerz 2 years ago by mohsin.He did an excellent job.in these two years all i did was regular washing that is weekly once and waxing every 2 months.
since i changed my residence i didnt have covered parking and was parked always out .the result no much shine and oxidation.
And now i decided i have to do something ,so finally on sunday morning i decided i will give it a try .quickly washed it with nxt meguiars shampoo and dried it .next step i did was claying oh my god i couldnt believe how much contaminants it picked up .
by the end of this process i was already drained ,quicklyhad breakfast and within in 30 min i was back for my next step polishing .First i used sonax polish i wasnt happy with the results .
Next i decided i will try ultimate compound ,I know its not advisable but believe me i used only little on a foam applicator and did the process .
That is circular motions each time overlapping the previous one by 50%.oh this step was laborious ,The bonnet only took an hour .but the end result was amazing .Later topped it with collinite wax
I was happy that i could see my car shine come back ,minor scrathes go,swirls reduced by 50% only .Thats more than enough for me .
I even did polishing of my headlamps ,Claying of windscreen and interior cleaning .
The process good 9 hours and my hands were aching like hell .But the end result GOOD.
MY INSPIRATION ALL MEMBERS IN THIS DETAILING FORUM thanks a lot

Last pic shows dullness on the left side and shine on right its because i did the right side first for comparison

last pic means in my first post ,later my whole car and now my tools
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120314_130651-640x480.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120314_162849-640x480.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120314_162454-640x480.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120314_120745-640x480.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120314_162914-640x480.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120316_123005-640x480.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Vid6639 : 16th March 2012 at 16:09. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option if posting within 30mins.
chetan5678 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 14:07   #5538
BHPian

excellent ,now can somone point out where the guide to the interior cleaning part is ., for exterior i am going to follow mr chetan above and start bugging him in private for more details
Old 16th March 2012, 15:59   #5539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Ozone Blue. It is one of those rare colors.
Collinite 845 will work good on light colored cars whereas Collinte 915 works for dark colored cars. If possible do a double coat of 845, that would give a perfect finish.

Quote:
Ordered Megs ScratchX and Mothers Calif Clay Bar :-)
So from where did you order both of them and what was the price?

Quote:
Wife would not be happy seeing all these beauty products for her "sauten".

Even I do have quite cosmetics for my car and my parents do ask me what I do with these many and you keep ordering new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
I contacted DuPoint, and received an email from Polco, advising me to book the cover through this website

Also, curiously enough, Cruze is not listed in the C+ or D segment cars on their website. In fact, it isn't listed anywhere in their segment guide (http://www.polcoindia.com/pdf/Segment%20Guide.pdf). I suppose it would be safest (albeit more expensive) to go with a D segment cover, so it'll be larger, though the closest would probably be a Civic.
I would suggest you to contact your dealer first and ask him whether he has a Tyvek cover for Cruze and if not email/contact Polco for specific car cover for Cruze. Any other car cover wont be perfect in any way.
Each and every car has different dimensions and Civic having low slung body wont suit Cruze muscular lines.

Quote:
By the way, what are the correct procedures to wash the following:

(a) Chamois (I keep it immersed in lukewarm water for some time before putting it back in the box in a slightly moist condition; but this doesn't get rid of the stains)
I preferably don't use Chamois because of it hardening nature when deprived of water. Just clean it in soapy water and dry it and store it back in its cylindrical container.

Quote:
(b) Eurow Microfibre Towel (just used it once this morning, its not very dirty yet)
If it ain't dirty, just fold and store in a dry place. If it is dirty, wash it with liquid detergent and dry it and store in a dry place. Nothing much special care to be taken.

Quote:
While I anxiously wait for all the detailing/scratch/swirl removing products to arrive, I am keeping the car uncovered and since it is a major dust attractor, I use a wet chamois to clean the car, and then use the Eurow towel to dry wipe it soon afterwards.
I looking forward to your Cruze detailing session to see if those hard water stains be taken care with ScratchX.
Old 16th March 2012, 16:44   #5540
BHPian

What is the best way to polish the dashboard and dash trim? My all new swift's dash trim looks a bit dull and dusty. I am looking at some cleaner that can provide some strong polish and makes the dash look black! strong matt black.
Old 16th March 2012, 16:58   #5541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
What is the best way to polish the dashboard and dash trim? My all new swift's dash trim looks a bit dull and dusty. I am looking at some cleaner that can provide some strong polish and makes the dash look black! strong matt black.
If the dashboard is dusty, wipe it off with a damp Micro Fibre. To give your Swift that extra finish on the dash use Meguiars Natural Shine Spray costs Rs. 570. Thats the best I have come across. If you did go for too glossy finish, it would cause trouble during the day because of the reflection from sun rays. So try to keep it a matt finish rather glossy.

Edit:
Even chetan5678 has used it on his Alto recently in the above post, he would be able to enlighten more.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 16th March 2012 at 17:00.
Old 16th March 2012, 16:59   #5542
Senior - BHPian

^Clean up the dashboard really good! You can use any all purpose cleaner!

You can find Armor all APC locally, its good for dash/leather!
After cleaning, apply your choice of dressing(formula1 or whichever one you have) You'll notice it leaves the dashboard glossy!

Immediately after application, wait 5 minutes and buff off excess dressing with a clean mf! This should leave a near matte/semi gloss finish!
Old 16th March 2012, 17:08   #5543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
If the dashboard is dusty, wipe it off with a damp Micro Fibre. To give your Swift that extra finish on the dash use Meguiars Natural Shine Spray costs Rs. 570. Thats the best I have come across. If you did go for too glossy finish, it would cause trouble during the day because of the reflection from sun rays. So try to keep it a matt finish rather glossy.

Edit:
Even chetan5678 has used it on his Alto recently in the above post, he would be able to enlighten more.
Thanks el lobo 6061. Meguires Natural shine spray is available at 3M outlet. Let me check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
^Clean up the dashboard really good! You can use any all purpose cleaner!

You can find Armor all APC locally, its good for dash/leather!
After cleaning, apply your choice of dressing(formula1 or whichever one you have) You'll notice it leaves the dashboard glossy!

Immediately after application, wait 5 minutes and buff off excess dressing with a clean mf! This should leave a near matte/semi gloss finish!
Thanks Sohail. The problem I have with Black dash and dashkit is that, even the slightest of dust,hand print or scuff marks are visible. I am looking for some sort of a polish that makes the dash look black. Not glossy but super matt finish.

Have you guys by chance tried this product "forever black" from Bringthebest[dot]com?
Old 16th March 2012, 17:23   #5544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX

Thanks el lobo 6061. Meguires Natural shine spray is available at 3M outlet. Let me check it out.

Thanks Sohail. The problem I have with Black dash and dashkit is that, even the slightest of dust,hand print or scuff marks are visible. I am looking for some sort of a polish that makes the dash look black. Not glossy but super matt finish.

Have you guys by chance tried this product "forever black" from Bringthebest[dot]com?
Any product will work well when used on a well prepped surface!
You can use whichever dressing/protectant you want. Just make sure that the dash is thoroughly clean and prepped before that!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 17:29   #5545
Distinguished - BHPian

micro-fibre really shines at cleaning plastics, in the home and in the car. Sorry about that pun, but it is true. Reason is that the micro fibres get into the micro cavities and drag the dirt out of them, and also that they are extremely good at removing grease and oil.

Use dry or damp. For damp, read, almost dry! Really, this is how they work best. You could use a very light misting from a spray, but without a spray, this is how I "wet" a microfibre cloth for cleaning plastics:

1. run a little water to wet bottom of sink.
2. let it all run away.
3. just lay the cloth on the wet surface. If not enough, dab slightly, but remember: less is more.

There should be no actual drops of water in your cloth. Anyone who actually wets a microfibre cloth, for this kind of cleaning, is never allowing themselves to discover its true capability.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 17:29   #5546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MutanX, Forever black is to be used for faded bumpers, faded side moldings, faded mud guards, faded door handles & faded plastic part of side mirrors. It is no way meant to be used for interior trim. It will cause more trouble than any benefit.
Use Megs Natural shine spray, easy on easy off, no hassles. Use Forever black for exterior black parts only.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 21:02   #5547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Collinite 845 will work good on light colored cars whereas Collinte 915 works for dark colored cars. If possible do a double coat of 845, that would give a perfect finish.

So from where did you order both of them and what was the price?

Even I do have quite cosmetics for my car and my parents do ask me what I do with these many and you keep ordering new.
Meguairs ScratchX = USD13 Amazon
Clay Bar = 1250 ebay.in

Will do a double coat of 845. I will get biceps as well after the detailing
Old 16th March 2012, 23:08   #5548
BHPian

Guys, after a lot of struggle, I have finally managed to clean the windshield of all the dried water marks. After using Collins, Harpic, Prill liquid, diluted vinegar and what not, I successfully removed all rigid water marks with toothpaste. The procedure I followed was very similar to waxing the car. I first rubbed a thin layer and buffed off the entire toothpaste with a soft cotton cloth, which rendered the windshield crystal clear. However, donot use those gel-types. The ones that are white in colour are the best suited.
Old 16th March 2012, 23:14   #5549
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is it ok to polish the windscreen with, say a Sonax polish?
No. don't use that. It shall cause the windscreen to become oily and hazy. Instead use a dedicated glass care product. I use Turtle wax Clearvue glass polish. It is marketed by Xenos in India. If you do not get it, then use colin or it's equivalent. Sonax's polish is only for painted metal surfaces.
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 00:17   #5550
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Hi mutant,
as far as dashboard polish is concerned the best i have come across is meguiars natural shine protectant.can be applied with a sponge or applicator results are good stays close to 15 to 20 days .Intially its a bit glossy this can be reduced by buffing with a microfiber cloth .negatives are tends to attract dirt .but just wiping with microber its clean again .its worth the money .one bottle lasts long ..thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
No. don't use that. It shall cause the windscreen to become oily and hazy. Instead use a dedicated glass care product. I use Turtle wax Clearvue glass polish. It is marketed by Xenos in India. If you do not get it, then use colin or it's equivalent. Sonax's polish is only for painted metal surfaces.
Hi sas ,
You are right for me turtle wax glass polish helped me remove water marks .i bought it after xenos guys gave me a demo.very nice product

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2012 at 15:22. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
chetan5678 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks