Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 14:10   #5371
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Regarding the usage techniques wait for 12 Feb'12 when I will be detailing my Vento
SAS you too are based in Mumbai where? How about coming over to my place when I do the detailing. Would be nice to have bhpian sharing the same passion. Open Invitation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Based in Borivali. Let's definitely catch up. Makes sense to meet and greet.
Ah HA! The (beginnings of a) Detailing Party. All are welcome! Pity. Would love to be there but am a little too far away. Sigh!
Post the pictures and we'll join in the fun then.

Glad to hear that the Karcher is there/on its way. Waiting for the full report.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:39   #5372
Senior - BHPian

Mothers clay bar application ROUND 2

This time it was the turn of the hatch and rear bumper to shine. A quick 10 minutes job first with clay bar and then Formula 1 polish and the result is "Ohh La La".

How do I know for sure that the clay bar IS effective? Well, I first clayed RHS half part of the hatch and bumper and once done, moved my hand over the 2 halves. The un-clayed LHS half felt like I was moving my hand over a very rough surfacem, whereas the RHS half was as if I was moving hand over a brand new showroom car. Smooth as Silk! Not only the surface is un-stained, it also regains shine and even the paint starts looking like original.

Proofs:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-v1.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-v2.jpg

Quote:
Question:
Previously I once didn't mask my car because of which the paste wax has got deposited on matt black plastic parts. Can you all recommend some products which would help me in getting rid of it. It looks real bad.
Sorry for a late reply. I have always used this product on the matt balck plastic parts and it works like magic. Infact, it also gives a great shine to the tyres, but I have other tyre shine products too, so this is only for all plastic parts.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-moto.jpg

Last edited by Amartya : 26th January 2012 at 02:18. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Cheers.
Old 25th January 2012, 20:27   #5373
Senior - BHPian

Men In Black:

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
Ah HA! The (beginnings of a) Detailing Party. All are welcome! Pity. Would love to be there but am a little too far away. Sigh!
Post the pictures and we'll join in the fun then.

Glad to hear that the Karcher is there/on its way. Waiting for the full report.
Basky you have been the inspiration behind it.

When I saw your detailing of the Vento and the cleaning using Karcher I was spell bound. I knew I have to get it no matter what. Only thing which keeps me from doing proper detailing is just a DA. Few years down the line it would also be there in my detailing kit. Till then elbow grease is the way.

If you could join in the detailing party it would make wonders, the expertise I would get in detailing Vento would be priceless. But sadly I know its not possible(1500 kms). The date is almost final 12 Feb or at most 19 Feb the day I'm looking forward to. Another thing remaining is the Torin Jack stands 2 Ton, would have them soon too.

Will be posting a very detailed detailing post.
Old 30th January 2012, 01:20   #5374
BANNED

Hello BHPians,

NEED YOUR INPUT

I own a car detailing company in delhi (not mentioning the name as i don`t intend to promote it indirectly here). we only use Meguiars professional product range for every treatment. Currently its a doorstep service but I am planning to set up a quick detail center so that car lovers like you can get their cars looking like brand new always. For this I request you all to give your valuable inputs as i am in the process of making a business plan.

My questions are

PRICE
(please mention your car as well)

1) How much are you willing to spend for a quick steam wash & paint sealant (Meguiars) treatment for your car.

2) How much are you willing to spend on interior detailing with Meguiars professional products.

3) How much are you willing to spend for a complete paint correction/ protection. (compounding, polishing, sealant etc)

FREQUENCY

1) How often would you like to get a sealant top up for maximum paint protection.

2) How often would you like to get the complete interior detailed.

CHOICE

1) Would you prefer a dealership treatment v/s a specialized professional detailing center for your new/old car.

1) Which one would you prefer more - Mall parking lot or Shop in a car market.

Your comments/criticism are most welcome. If you see any flaws or have some creative ideas, please feel free to share. After all you will be the ones enjoying these special car-care services later on

Thanking you all in advance
Kind Regards
Sunny
Old 31st January 2012, 15:22   #5375
BHPian

Quote:
Men In Black:
Only thing which keeps me from doing proper detailing is just a DA. Few years down the line it would also be there in my detailing kit. Till then elbow grease is the way.
Thanks for the invite. Just back from a 5 day, eye opening Varanasi trip and got back this morning. More on that later.

For an orbital polisher, best to pool in funds and timeshare. Why wait, Get it now (well almost). The difference in time, effort & finish is just too much to ignore. Use it once and you are hooked for life.

Has the devil tempted you yet?
Old 1st February 2012, 10:59   #5376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
For an orbital polisher, best to pool in funds and timeshare. Why wait, Get it now (well almost). The difference in time, effort & finish is just too much to ignore. Use it once and you are hooked for life.

Has the devil tempted you yet?
Yeah the devil surely has tempted me but trying to resist it.
The DA surely on the radar but will be buying it few years down the line. Got some good news. Yesterday bought Karcher K2.180 from Bunnings Store.
Just wait and watch this section in 3rd wk of Feb for some superb detailing.
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:49   #5377
BHPian

Amazon.com enters India through www.junglee.com and has under the automotive section

Meguiar's Complete Car Care kit among others

I seriously love Smooth Surface Clay Kit that Meguiars
Tech Wax 2

heres the link. ( site is under beta and not all items are available for sale)
kartikk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:37   #5378
Senior - BHPian

I was never fancied with even washing a car until the super red Chevy Beat came into our family. To speak my heart out, me being a bit lazy yet with good observation, I find that a plain non-metallic color is heavy on maintenance. More than out of fascination, it now has been a necessary to keep her clean, as she attracts the slightest of dust on her and because she is happy to show off the dirt. She is 7 months old and water is no longer beading on her. I think a good wax such as the Collinite's No. 845 should do the trick. However, I need a couple of clarifications.

The Beat has got swirl marks (my eyes conveniently or otherwise skip noticing any swirls on our 6 year old Baleno, thanks to the metallic beige color she wears!) all around her, even though I was careful in not marring her paint with dry cloths while giving her a wash. She has also attracted small tar particles towards her side bottom. Also, I have noticed tiny (1-2 mm diameter) chipping of paint on her sides towards the back (nothing towards the front door) every time she comes after a wash from the service center. The adviser is so sure that the chipping has happened due to small stones being hit on the vehicle! How true is this? Why is it happening only towards the side backs? Even the body panel has got exposed in these tiny chipping. Please check the pictures below.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-misc2-109a.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-misc2-112a.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-misc2-113a.jpg

My question is how do I deal with this chipping, both on preventive and corrective accounts?

Another doubt is that whether I can skip the claying part (for removing the tiny tar spots) if I am going in for a polishing? Please suggest me a good liquid polish. I am planning to go for Collinite's No. 845 for the waxing.

One final query. Can I use both the polish and the wax on the windshield, the lamps, the chrome strips and other plastic parts (the black ones)?
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:17   #5379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Amazon.com enters India through www.junglee.com and has under the automotive section

Tech Wax 2

Yes. That is a good development. I am wondering what is the landing cost of Porter Cable 7424XP.

What happens to the guys at ShopYourWorld now?

Edit: Total cost of
Porter-Cable 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher $115

is

Shipping & Handling:$29.80
Total Before Tax:$144.79
Estimated Tax To Be Collected:$0.00
Import Fees Deposit$33.76
Total:$178.55 (Rs. 8800)

Last edited by S_U_N : 2nd February 2012 at 22:42.
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:00   #5380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk

Tech Wax 2

That amazon thing is currently beta i.e. it'll just redirect you to amazon.com(US site)

I hope amazon actually opens warehouses with actual stock of stuff here, thats only when we'll get competetive prices!
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:33   #5381
BHPian

SUN - PLease check is that PC7424XP the 240 V version for International customers ?

Also - Meguiars India have updated their site & will start selling quite a good range, which also includes the G220. I hear distribution channel is being worked out currently.

G220V2 Dual Action Polisher - Meguiars India
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 01:16   #5382
SAS
BHPian

@thoma There is nothing you can do about stone chips through polishing, etc. However ensure you wax your car regularly. That shall avoid rusting where the stone chips have occured.

Typically the stone chips end up on the front of the car i.e. the front 6 inches of the bonnet. I have never seen any chips on the rear or sides. I hope the service center isn't trying to hoodwink you for a shoddy job at their end.

To prevent stone chips, you can get clear film which is put on the first 6 inches of the bonnet. Not sure how available it is in India, but at least that's what I have seen on cars abroad.

You have to live with stonechips and prevent any rusting through waxing the paint. This is thanks to the poor road conditions in India where you have rubble all over the dirty roads :( Another thing to blame on the lame government...
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 01:32   #5383
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do NOT MARKET on this forum under any circumstances.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 13:24.
Old 3rd February 2012, 01:36   #5384
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do NOT MARKET on this forum under any circumstances.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 13:25.
twister is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:09   #5385
BANNED

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 13:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks