Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 11:34   #6871
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalaap View Post
I used ONLY one MF cloth to wipe my car clean. No water. No liquid. Just 15 minutes and she is SHINING! :-O
Please don't do this. Because MF, unlike a cotton rag, has the ability to draw dirt into itself, there is less risk of scratching --- but not no risk. Whatever cloth you use, you are rubbing dirt on your paint work: dirt means dust, dust is abrasive. Abrasive means swirls and scratches.

Concern for the environment is appreciated. Water should not be wasted. But it is water that gets dust off your car without scratching.

Yet... there seems to be a mania in this thread for waterless washing! Why? Water is your best friend!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 14:15   #6872
BHPian

I don't know why ECC is recommending ONR to be used as a Waterless car Wash. It should be used as a Rinseless Wash with a bucket full of 4 Litres of Water.

The QD strength is used to remove Bird droppings or using at as a QD after washing the car.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 15:23   #6873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I don't know why ECC is recommending ONR to be used as a Waterless car Wash. It should be used as a Rinseless Wash with a bucket full of 4 Litres of Water.

The QD strength is used to remove Bird droppings or using at as a QD after washing the car.
During my visit to Eco Car Care during Aug 2012, enquired on waterless wash. They informed that they have 2-3 vehicles equipped with steam washers. They will come to your home and clean the entire car with just 1 litre of water.

Coming to our car wash by ONR, 4 litres of water is not required. I use 4-5ml of ONR into 1litre of water spray bottle and apply panel by panel. Then wipe with wet microfibre cloth and again with dry microfibre cloth.

Please see the following link:

For QD, I mix ONR 1:16 ratio. Just spray on clean car and wipe with dry cloth.

Last edited by HighOctane : 29th January 2013 at 15:25.
Old 29th January 2013, 21:27   #6874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane

During my visit to Eco Car Care during Aug 2012, enquired on waterless wash. They informed that they have 2-3 vehicles equipped with steam washers. They will come to your home and clean the entire car with just 1 litre of water.

Coming to our car wash by ONR, 4 litres of water is not required. I use 4-5ml of ONR into 1litre of water spray bottle and apply panel by panel. Then wipe with wet microfibre cloth and again with dry microfibre cloth.

Please see the following link:

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=15cMHR0a0Ok

For QD, I mix ONR 1:16 ratio. Just spray on clean car and wipe with dry cloth.
Please read up on the two bucket method of using ONR. It wasn't designed to be I'd the way you are using it though all of us just spray and wipe sometimes when the car is not really dirty. It is a Rinseless wash, not waterless.
Old 29th January 2013, 21:47   #6875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

Exactly. It is not for removing dust
Old 30th January 2013, 12:34   #6876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Please don't do this. Because MF, unlike a cotton rag, has the ability to draw dirt into itself, there is less risk of scratching --- but not no risk. Whatever cloth you use, you are rubbing dirt on your paint work: dirt means dust, dust is abrasive. Abrasive means swirls and scratches.

Concern for the environment is appreciated. Water should not be wasted. But it is water that gets dust off your car without scratching.

Yet... there seems to be a mania in this thread for waterless washing! Why? Water is your best friend!
Oh, I have nothing against water. That wasn't even my intention. I just read on the packaging of the Jopasu Duster that it shouldn't be used wet, so I thought the applied to the MF too. Later on, I did spray plain water before wiping each surface and that was easier and it also felt cleaner. Is that okay? Also, is it okay to wash the MF cloth daily?
Old 30th January 2013, 21:16   #6877
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm... Now I'm getting myself confused!

First, I would never wipe a layer of dust with a cloth. A Jopasu will remove it gently, or, failing that, flick it away with a dry cloth. Yes, the Jopasu is made to be used dry. This is stuff you do when you are not washing your car anyway. Doesn't harm to Jopasu first though unless you are using a pressure washer, which is just going to blow everything away nicely. But if you don't have a hose or pressure washer, and you have to wash your car with buckets, then get rid of the major dust and slosh the rest away, being generous with the water, whether you're using mf cloth or not, and it might as well be mf.

Second, microfibre and water is a little more complex...

I still say, do not rub dust into a surface with any cloth.

However, if you are cleaning, say, a greasy surface (whether it is car paint or kitchen granite) there is a magic to microfibre: it works best moist, not wet. Just mist the surface, or slightly dampen the cloth --- or even use it dry. It will pull all that grease off. If used wet, like an ordinary cloth, it actually doesn't work as well. They have been sold, for house cleaning, advertised as not even needing detergent or sprays and it there is quite a lot of truth in that.

I keep a microfibre specs cloth on my desk and another for gadget wiping. There is microfibre in the kitchen, in the bathroom and for cleaning glass. I luuuurve microfibre!
Old 1st February 2013, 17:06   #6878
BHPian

I;m not sure if this has been posted or discussed earlier - but I saw this video on the TV Series 'fifth gear' in which they showed the best way to go about with detailing a car.

Can anyone in the UK confirm the prices of those cleaning thingies he uses in the video ?

Some Key points to observe:
  1. He uses pressure wash to clean the car
  2. Look at how two buckets are used - one for the soap/shampoo and the other for rinsing the mitt
  3. Never go in circles - always clean in straight lines!
  4. He discourages use of Chamois and preferes MF towels instead (droolin on the size of those towels)
  5. Pat dry instead of wipe - to dry the car
  6. Apply VERY VERY little polish not good to overdo this
  7. Waxing frequency is also 4-6 months and not weeks (perhaps it needs to be more frequent in dusty and dry conditions in which we drive our cars?)

Last edited by vsathyap : 1st February 2013 at 17:24. Reason: Embedding video link
Old 1st February 2013, 22:53   #6879
Senior - BHPian

Guys which wax tincan is better?

Turtle Wax or Formula 1?
Old 1st February 2013, 23:07   #6880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Guys which wax tincan is better?

Turtle Wax or Formula 1?
I'd suggest to dump both and get a bottle of Collinite 845 from BBImpex. It is a liquid wax and easier to apply, one of the most durable waxes (easily last up to 6 month) in the market and gives a great finish.

Else if you are doing it yourself get a bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax. It's a spray wax and extremely easy to apply and gives a great finish which last easily upto 1 month.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 18:09   #6881
BHPian

My vote goes to Optimum Car Wax, available with ECC Bangalore. Write to them and they will ship it to you in 2 days.

Great looks, good durability and easiest wax to apply. Read up on forums like autogeek or autopia and you will see how OCW has changed the way people think about car wax now.
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:32   #6882
BHPian

Yesterday when filling up Shell, visited their shack and saw some car cleaning products on sale. Sonax car shampoo was retailing at 340 Rs, for a 1000ml bottle. The sales guy suggested to get a smaller one for Rs 50, its MotoMax car shampoo. Is this good? Any thoughts.
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:17   #6883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms
Yesterday when filling up Shell, visited their shack and saw some car cleaning products on sale. Sonax car shampoo was retailing at 340 Rs, for a 1000ml bottle. The sales guy suggested to get a smaller one for Rs 50, its MotoMax car shampoo. Is this good? Any thoughts.
I would go with the Sonax shampoo compared to any other shampoo available at Shell. Not even Eagle One.
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:55   #6884
BHPian

Motomax is a waste shampoo. Tried it. Except for foaming, it doesn't do a thing. Sonax is good. Recently discovered, formula one car wash and wax. Tried it on my bike and amazing results. Am yet to try out on the car.
Old 3rd February 2013, 19:13   #6885
Senior - BHPian

Received my SKIL pressure washer yesterday from flipkart,and used it this morning to wash my car.

http://www.flipkart.com/bosch-skil-h...LDFG3APGDEZZ7G

The item is easy use and generates good (manually) variable pressure to wash cars effectively. Can also be used to clean walkways and garage floors. The included manual could have been better as it took me around 20 mins to assemble everything. The only thing required extra is a garden hose to connect the machine to the tap.
The included detergent bottle was not so effective, but I would give that one another try as I might have not used that fitment correctly.
All in all - with the time and effort saved - I guess the 5500 rupees is well spent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks