Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2012, 13:20   #6736
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Also, using shampoo as a clay lube will make the clay break down faster so you wont get as much usage out of the clay as you would with a QD or ONR
Old 23rd December 2012, 19:08   #6737
BHPian

Today is the 2nd time I have detailed the exterior of my car. Nothing too complicated, just usual cleaning and polishing. Here is the procedure.

1. Wash the car with plain water using a spray hose.
2. Rinse with Amway Car Wash mixed with water, using a micro fiber cloth, and then wash using spray hose.
3. Apply Amway Silicon Glaze auto polish, using a microfiber applicator pad.
4. Allow the polish to dry, and buff it with a micro fiber cloth.
5. Apply collinite 854 insulator wax using a microfiber applicator pad.
6. Allow the wax to dry, and buff it with a micro fiber cloth.

The last time I had done this was 6 months back. The wax is quite durable, the water beading has been apparent all this while.

I have one query here, and I hope some experts may be able to answer the same. I carry out this entire procedure in one go, and it takes around 2 hours 30 minutes. The problem is that whenever I buff the polish or wax with MF cloth, the cloth always picks up considerable dirt from the surface when it is being used in circular motion with some pressure. This is in spite of having washed the car about 30 mins or 1 hour earlier. This happens more during the 1st buffing, that of the polish, than when buffing the wax.

Getting this dirt off the MF cloth by washing it later is quite difficult. Is this normal? Or am I going wrong somewhere? Is the car wash not doing its job well?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 23rd December 2012 at 19:13.
Old 23rd December 2012, 20:30   #6738
BHPian

Try a better shampoo or just use a Jopasu after washing and drying, prior to the wax.

You old also use a pre wax cleaner or a clay bar.
Old 23rd December 2012, 23:17   #6739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post

...Wash the car with plain water using a spray hose.....wash using spray
hose. ...

The problem is that whenever I buff the polish or wax with MF cloth, the cloth always picks up considerable dirt from the surface
First, you don't need to hose down the car so many times. Water is a depleting resource. Second you are forgetting to clay the car, google is your friend, learn up on claying, the cycle is wash dry, clay, polish, wax/seal.

Good luck your going to develop strong arms
kartikk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 00:26   #6740
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is that whenever I buff the polish or wax with MF cloth, the cloth always picks up considerable dirt from the surface when it is being used in circular motion with some pressure. This is in spite of having washed the car about 30 mins or 1 hour earlier. This happens more during the 1st buffing, that of the polish, than when buffing the wax.

Getting this dirt off the MF cloth by washing it later is quite difficult. Is this normal? Or am I going wrong somewhere? Is the car wash not doing its job well?
I was using Amways Silicon glaze 4-5 years ago and while applying the polish, it always used to pick up dirt, it was acting like cleanser and also minute scratches were eliminated. It is quite normal with silicon glaze and need not worry.

If Anybody can guide me to source Amway Silicon Glaze in Bangalore will be helpful, please PM me if this is available through known Amway agent. I am missing this nice product.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 14:37   #6741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
I was using Amways Silicon glaze 4-5 years ago and while applying the polish, it always used to pick up dirt, it was acting like cleanser and also minute scratches were eliminated. It is quite normal with silicon glaze and need not worry.

If Anybody can guide me to source Amway Silicon Glaze in Bangalore will be helpful, please PM me if this is available through known Amway agent. I am missing this nice product.
I brought this product over 3 years ago when I purchased my Enfield and have used it on the bike once or twice. Never had the heart to use it on my car. Sounds like a pre-wax cleaner rather than a polish to me. I will test it on a small area of the car. Has Amway discontinued it?
Old 24th December 2012, 16:04   #6742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I brought this product over 3 years ago when I purchased my Enfield and have used it on the bike once or twice. Never had the heart to use it on my car. Sounds like a pre-wax cleaner rather than a polish to me. I will test it on a small area of the car. Has Amway discontinued it?
No, it is very much available as of now. And I am no expert, but my father has been using it on our car for several years now. Before this year, it was about the only detailing that the car would receive apart from washing. The car is over 9 years old now, and the paint is still in very good condition. So I daresay that the product is rather good.

However, I am not sure whether it is a polish or actually a pre-wax cleaner. The bottle clearly says "Auto Polish" though.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 18:19   #6743
BHPian

Ok this is the first time I've opened this thread, it's because I've gotten a new car.My old one was black and had swirl marks within a year of the car wash boy rubbing it with a rag.
So I got a silver car. How do i wash it?
From what I read online and over here just confused me further, but I will just write what I understood let me know if its correct.
  1. Wash with a mitt - microfibre or sheepwool? ( Auto fresh has some sheep wool )
  2. Can i use a micro fibre cloth like the one used to dry to wash too?
  3. Use auto shampoo meguair or some good brand.
  4. Dry using a micro fibre cloth.
  5. Wax once a month.

When am I supposed to use sealant and clay?
Where in Mumbai can I find these two items?
Do I need to use a different shampoo for the wheels?
What is a wheel sealant?
Is the jopasu good for just a dusting?
Old 24th December 2012, 20:13   #6744
BHPian

I got everything that I need for my first DIY E2E Detailing session. Things I managed to source:

1. ONR and Duragloss Rinseless Wash (Sanjay)
2. InstaFinish Clay Bar (AutoFresh)
3. Sonax Car Polish (Shell Shop)
4. DG 105 (Sanjay)

Now the whole process of Jopasu, ONR, Clay, Polish and Sealant sounds very interesting on paper but seems like a lot of work in one go. I am trying to break down the session into two parts, not sure where to create a partition.
Also, I need to watch some YouTube videos on how to Clay and How to polish LOL.
Pretty excited about the whole thing and next post will have some pictures.

It's a little dark in the parking now but I think I can get the Jopasu, ONR and Clay part done now and the rest tomorrow morning

Question that I forgot to ask earlier: After using the Car Polish, do I apply the DG105 or does the polish needs to be removed by using a QD or ONR?

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 24th December 2012 at 20:38. Reason: Added Text
Old 24th December 2012, 22:19   #6745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the whole process of Jopasu, ONR, Clay, Polish and Sealant sounds very interesting on paper but seems like a lot of work in one go. I am trying to break down the session into two parts, not sure where to create a partition.

Question that I forgot to ask earlier: After using the Car Polish, do I apply the DG105 or does the polish needs to be removed by using a QD or ONR?
I'd suggest you do the Jopasu,ONR wash plus claying in the first session, comeback later and finish the polishing and DG 105.
Once you have applied the polish, you apply your sealant over it. No need to remove the polish. Infact it needs to be there!

PS: Picked up my Karcher 3.550 from Metro today. Came up to 13k and comes with a host of accessories. Went to buy the 2.110 but the 2 lances and induction motor did the trick for me! Eager to try it out and will report on how good a job it does
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 22:56   #6746
BHPian

Quote:
Has Amway discontinued it?
No, its still available.I recently saw an ad in OLX or Quickr, some one was selling Amway Carwash and Silicon Glaze.

Quote:
However, I am not sure whether it is a polish or actually a pre-wax cleaner. The bottle clearly says "Auto Polish" though.
Just now I went to basement just to find whats written on the Can. It says Auto Polish and at back, looks like multipurpose polish (See Pic below) and this worries me now. But I think it contains wax in the paste and hence it shines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Wash with a mitt - microfibre or sheepwool?
When am I supposed to use sealant and clay?
Where in Mumbai can I find these two items?
Do I need to use a different shampoo for the wheels?
What is a wheel sealant?
Is the jopasu good for just a dusting?
You can use microfibre cloth or wash mitt to wash/shampoo the car. I prefer wash mitt. Use dried Microfibre cloth or Chamious to wipe the car.
It is good if you wait for 9months or one year to clay the car. Brand new car may not have contaminents. After washing & wiping the car, put a thin plastic cover to you hand and slightly run your hand on the paint surface. If you can feel the roughness, then its time to Clay.
Most of the productsvto be sourced from Reliance Autozone or Online like BB Impex or Autofresh.
You can use left over shampoo and brush to clean the wheels or use a Wheel Cleaner spray and brush.
I hav'nt heard of wheel sealant, is it tyre shine?
Jopasu Duster is used only to clean dust and its a must for every car owner as the car will not get swrils while dusting.

Quote:
No no, donot try to remove polish, infact it would have filled swrils and created a protective layer.
Attached Images

HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 23:27   #6747
BHPian

Managed to dust the car with Jopasu and do a quick wash with Duragloss Rinseless Wash. Then made a Clay Lube out of ONR and used the clay bar I to from Auto Fresh. Thank god I cut it into 2 pieces as after doing about half the car it slipped off and fell down. 600 bucks worth of lay one. Good news is I have the other half to use tomorrow. However, it seems to be leaving behind a residue that even ONR is unable to remove. I guess I will have better luck in daylight.
Will polish and seal tomorrow for sure, not sure if I will clay the remaining car. I guess I should have invested in a better prep / cleaning product so I could get the car ready for the sealant. Not sure the Clay is the best way to do this. Maybe an All in One cleanser like Klasse would help.

More in the morning.
Old 24th December 2012, 23:27   #6748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Just now I went to basement just to find whats written on the Can. It says Auto Polish and at back, looks like multipurpose polish (See Pic below) and this worries me now.
Sorry for back to back post, I was not able to attach this picture in my previous post. Is Amway Silicon Glaze is a multipurpose polish or for Automobile paint surface ?
Attached Images

Old 25th December 2012, 00:28   #6749
BHPian

hi..

need nelp! i noticed a pen mark on my car's dashboard today ans since the dash is cream colour so the mark is quite evident! what cud remove it? i havent tried anything yet for the fear of worsening it.

Another thing friends, is there a way to take off scratches from the alloy wheels? remember the Skoda Rapid alloys, the antares? i dont want to recount how they came into existence. its only the front alloys. and one of them has a slightly deep scratch on which 3M Finesse It compound was applied but that didnt help. the scratch could be felt by hand! hoping against all odds for a solution to this..plz help :(
Old 25th December 2012, 00:33   #6750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

PS: Picked up my Karcher 3.550 from Metro today. Came up to 13k and comes with a host of accessories. Went to buy the 2.110 but the 2 lances and induction motor did the trick for me! Eager to try it out and will report on how good a job it does
Wow, that is serious DIY stuff. Do keep us posted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks