Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:47   #6811
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

^ Clay should help; Try a 1:1 mix of Iso Propyl Alcohol and water, this should definitely work unless the clear coat has really hardened.
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:58   #6812
BHPian

Well it must have hardened :( .. guess 4-5 days is more than curing time i guess

BTW where can i buy Iso Propyl Alcohol??
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:26   #6813
Senior - BHPian

Its the same as the injection spirit that you get in medical shops in small plastic bottles
Old 4th January 2013, 07:14   #6814
BHPian

Go easy with the isopropyl alcohol.... it can damage/marr paint. Best test a small area.

I would say best route would be claybar. Get a good aggressive one and job done!
Old 4th January 2013, 07:44   #6815
Senior - BHPian

I did a complete car wash at a local service station and also had them pressure wash the under body. They offered to spray diesel under the car after the wash which I rejected. Is there any suspension lubrication or something on similar lines that is required after you do a under body wash?
Old 4th January 2013, 15:34   #6816
BHPian

Thanks guys; got the isopropyl alcohol.. the medical store threw a fit though i was a junkie..

anyway did not find it in liquid form; but got swabs.. like wet tissues for 2 Rupee each.. picked up the box..

Will try this and clay on the weekend and report back
Old 4th January 2013, 16:11   #6817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Thanks guys; got the isopropyl alcohol.. the medical store threw a fit though i was a junkie..

anyway did not find it in liquid form; but got swabs.. like wet tissues for 2 Rupee each.. picked up the box..

You could just use 3M's rubbing compound which is mild and should do the job. Dont think using chemicals would be a very nice idea as your paint might get damaged.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Please Type 'You' instead of 'U' and 'Your' instead of 'ur'

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2013 at 13:51. Reason: Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.
torque18 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th January 2013, 16:24   #6818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
U could just use 3M's rubbing compound which is mild and should do the job. dont think using chemicals would be a very nice idea as ur paint might get damaged.
IPA is paint and clear-coat safe. It is normally used to strip off wax layers from paint before applying a sealant. However whether it will remove oversprayed clear-coat or not that is another question.
Rubbing compound will remove it but if you are not careful you can ruin your paint. Best bet will be to take it to paint shop and ask their opinion.

Last edited by archat68 : 4th January 2013 at 16:26.
Old 4th January 2013, 16:28   #6819
BHPian

Deepak - Claying should help with overspray removal. Just remember that Meguiars clay (white one) is of medium grade and you would need to use more effort to get it off.
Have yet to hear of IPA being usefull for removing paint overspray. IPA is not harmful to paint, just dilute it before using.

If medium clay does not remove it, seek help from a professional detailer in your city !

SAndeep - Avoid spraying diesel on the underbody or even the paint, its harmfull in the long run. Check your owners manual to see any specific lubrication requirements for underbody components
Old 4th January 2013, 17:55   #6820
BHPian

IPA will soften paint temporarily. As suggested if using always use diluted and spray on a microfiber cloth and not directly on paint if possible.

I did mar my paint using IPA so now I keep away from it.
Old 5th January 2013, 19:33   #6821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post

Deepak : No idea why the medical shop you went to threw such a fit !! Im also from Mumbai and have bought it from several medical shops without any hassles. Im just assuming that the swabs will be hard to handle because of their small size.
Claying and compounding is your best bet to get the overspray off. Isopropyl alcohol will have no effect on your cars paint and thus will obviously have zero effect on the overspray ! Try WD-40 also. I hade used it to get droplets of paint off which had fallen on my car while the building was being painted.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:03   #6822
BHPian

Guys can you recommend me the better among these products:

A. Tire care:

Requirement: stock steel rims and longer lasting action.

1. Megs endurance tire spray
2. Megs all wheel cleaner as I dont have alloys
3. Megs hot shine tire foam
4. Eagle one extreme tire shine
5. Armor all 3in 1 tire foam / Armor all wheel cleaner foam

B. Trim protection:

Requirement: long lasting protection and shine

1. Megs natural shine vinyl rubber protectant spray
2. Armor all original protectant
3. any other recommendations?

Also looking for a good paint sealant that I can buy locally.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:50   #6823

[Reposting from a different (dead) thread]

Firstly, Thanks all for the contribution. Great to hear from so many enthusiasts about detailing.

When I was in USA, I used to hand wash my car, and do a full detail every 6 mo. The result was that the car looked shiny and brand new, even after years of ownership. I used Zaino products using the following guide, it served me REALLY well. For the conditions in USA, I swear by it: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145

Questions for the group:
1) Anyone in Mumbai (pref South) using Zaino products? Would love to talk offline to possibly share product(s).

2) Can you guys recommend and detailer in (south) Mumbai for Zaino or otherwise. Yes, moving back has made me lazier (also its MUCH dustier here)

M
Old 8th January 2013, 14:23   #6824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxs View Post
[Reposting from a different (dead) thread]

Firstly, Thanks all for the contribution. Great to hear from so many enthusiasts about detailing.

When I was in USA, I used to hand wash my car, and do a full detail every 6 mo. The result was that the car looked shiny and brand new, even after years of ownership. I used Zaino products using the following guide, it served me REALLY well. For the conditions in USA, I swear by it: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145

Questions for the group:
1) Anyone in Mumbai (pref South) using Zaino products? Would love to talk offline to possibly share product(s).

2) Can you guys recommend and detailer in (south) Mumbai for Zaino or otherwise. Yes, moving back has made me lazier (also its MUCH dustier here)

M
If you want to do it yourself Zaino products are available in India too. Just google.
Old 8th January 2013, 14:44   #6825

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
If you want to do it yourself Zaino products are available in India too. Just google.
archat68: Thanks for sharing. I did contact them for pricing as their office is also in Mumbai. I am really hoping to find a detailer in Mumbai who can help me with the application of Zaino (or other similar good products).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks