Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 20:13   #6946
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

^^ I agree. If it's safe on skin, it's safe on paint too. There are local bike washing shops which use Tide and Surf sachets to wash bikes and I have seen them use steel wool to 'remove rust'. Those are abrasive but liquid soap/shampoo should not be an issue, though washing it off will require a lot of water since they contain lathering agents.
Old 27th February 2013, 21:47   #6947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
I used Mother's Aluminium Polish to clean my Honda's exhaust and the exhaust manifold cover. Worked extremely well. The whole exhaust was almost black initially but with vigorous rubbing with an old 'banian', the original look was restored. I tried using rubbing compounds/chrome metal polish but nothing worked until I tried this.

http://www.carsingh.com/car-accessor...um-polish-5100
Did you buy from them(online)? Any reviews of them, hope they are not like vicky dot in. I need to buy Mothers metal polish.
Where else to look for Mothers product in India?
Old 1st March 2013, 12:40   #6948
BHPian

Here Are Some Latest Pictures of My Verna !! Hope You All Like It !!
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc04375.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc04376.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc04377.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc04378.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc04379.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc04380.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc04382.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc04385.jpg  

NOTORIOUS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 13:31   #6949
BHPian

Guys, need your advice. My car was parked in open and someone somewhere was whitewashing his wall. In the morning I noticed a heavy over-spray of calcimine on my car's front bumpers, hood, side mirrors, windshield and front half of roof. Luckily I woke up before the car cleaner could scratch it out. Took it to a professional car cleaner and as per him claying won't help, and they will have to use rubbing compound. I got my car rubbed and waxed at the same place last month so, he asked me to wait for a few days and then bring the car back. I am not too inclined on getting car rubbed so frequently especially because it's a dark coloured car (Bronzo Scuro).

What do the experts suggest? Is there something I can do at home or shall I take it to another competent detailer (on the other side of the city)?

Pics of the over-spray:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130301534_1.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130301535_1.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130301536_1.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130301538_1.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st March 2013 at 13:46.
Old 1st March 2013, 13:40   #6950
Senior - BHPian

Try out a small area with mild dose of turpentine or diesel.. Something slightly acidic like diluted vinegar may also help.

Last edited by poloman : 1st March 2013 at 13:44.
Old 1st March 2013, 13:55   #6951
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Took it to a professional car cleaner and as per him claying won't help, and they will have to use rubbing compound. I got my car rubbed and waxed at the same place last month so, he asked me to wait for a few days and then bring the car back. I am not too inclined on getting car rubbed so frequently especially because it's a dark coloured car (Bronzo Scuro).
Paint drops may not be that well embedded if your car still has any polish/wax coating left from your last treatment. Try removing one spot mark using your finger nail. If it comes out without much issue, you can safely go for clay treatment.
Rubbing compound nowadays comes in various strength. Light application wont do much harm. But of course, that's the last option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Try out a small area with mild dose of turpentine or diesel.. Something slightly acidic like diluted vinegar may also help.
Don't think any of these going to work. No harm trying out though.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 14:25   #6952
Team-BHP Support

If you let it sit for a long time, it will bond with the paint. Then your in trouble.

Best option would be just hop into a 3M store and request them for spraying the patch with all purpose cleaner. It will remove it easily. They may charge nominally but if you opt for a wash then they may not charge for removing the paint marks.

Don't use a rubbing compound. I had tried it once but it actually spreads the paint into the clear and leaves a mark. No rubbing stuff should be used.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 14:34   #6953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Guys, need your advice. My car was parked in open and someone somewhere was whitewashing his wall. In the morning I noticed a heavy over-spray of calcimine on my car's front bumpers, hood, side mirrors, windshield and front half of roof. Luckily I woke up before the car cleaner could scratch it out. Took it to a professional car cleaner and as per him claying won't help, and they will have to use rubbing compound. I got my car rubbed and waxed at the same place last month so, he asked me to wait for a few days and then bring the car back. I am not too inclined on getting car rubbed so frequently especially because it's a dark coloured car (Bronzo Scuro).

What do the experts suggest? Is there something I can do at home or shall I take it to another competent detailer (on the other side of the city)?
I faced the exact same situation last week and claying took care of every single spot of overspray.
After claying, you should polish (if required) and apply a fresh coat of wax / sealant.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 16:08   #6954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Read about the diluted vinegar on another forum as well. Will try it next time (god forbid).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Paint drops may not be that well embedded if your car still has any polish/wax coating left from your last treatment. Try removing one spot mark using your finger nail. If it comes out without much issue, you can safely go for clay treatment.
Thank you Mr. Sen for the guidance as well as editing the post. Luckily, I applied a thin coat of wax on Sunday. In the morning, I sprayed Meg's QD generously over the spot and then wiped with a MF cloth. Some of the spots have gone but the bigger ones are still there. Tried removing one with nail and it does get removed. So, clay treatment is in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Best option would be just hop into a 3M store and request them for spraying the patch with all purpose cleaner. It will remove it easily. They may charge nominally but if you opt for a wash then they may not charge for removing the paint marks.
How I wish there was a 3M store in NCR. There is a very reputed detailer (Authorised by Meguiar) near Gurgaon and I plan to take my car there tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I faced the exact same situation last week and claying took care of every single spot of overspray.
After claying, you should polish (if required) and apply a fresh coat of wax / sealant.
Hope claying helps in my case too. I had all the detailing stuff at home except clay bar . Have placed an order now to ensure that next time I am better prepared.

@Notorious - Thank you for the call and the offer to help with clay bar. Will definitely call you for your guidance.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 16:57   #6955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tried removing one with nail and it does get removed.
If the finger nail works, it might be the best way to do it? But I guess there are a lot of spots, and you might get very fed up.

I'm thinking razor blade, but I'm very reluctant to say it, because one would have to be sooooo careful, keeping the blade flat and just touching. Reminds me of the day that I removed a spot of hardened epoxy glue off the lens of a new pair of spectacles. Very scary, but yes, I'm wearing them now and there's no scratch. That was kill or cure, though: they would have been useless with the glue spot. They were ruined: I could not ruin them any more, but there was a chance I could fix it --- and it worked out.

OK, so yes, better not to use a blade (unless your day job is brain surgery ) so how about something that should not scratch paint. Raid your kitchen drawers for the softer plastic things that have an edge. Use lubrication: Quick detailer or even soap.

Example: I have a broken toothbrush handle that broke to a roundish, quite-sharp edge. I find gunk builds up on the chrome radiator grill. Actually, the handle broke while I was trying to brush off the gunk, I looked at the broken part, though Hmmm... and yes, it did a good job with no scratching.

Whatever you do, try on an invisible piece of paint first, like inside a door frame, to make sure it will not scratch.

These are crazy ideas. Please accept them as such and feel free to dismiss them immediately. Sometimes a little improvisation and ingenuity can save the day --- and sometimes it can ruin it completely. Take care of your paint.

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st March 2013 at 17:00.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 21:02   #6956
Senior - BHPian

Spray it with WD 40 and then lightly scrape of with your nails wrapped in a thin soft cloth. It worked for me when something similar had happened
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 21:10   #6957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis
Spray it with WD 40 and then lightly scrape of with your nails wrapped in a thin soft cloth. It worked for me when something similar had happened
What in the world is WD 40?
Old 1st March 2013, 21:15   #6958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
Old 1st March 2013, 22:52   #6959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Your life is about to change now you know! No home, let alone garage, should be without a can.

Recent WD40 successes with my car paintwork:

--- removing a lump of chewing gum, which, otherwise, was just spreading and sticking.

--- removing the sticky residue of some packing tape which came in contact with the car.

Apart from it's wonderful range of clean-up and first-aid capabilities, it is a wonderful lubricant and rust preventer. Keep it away from the brakes
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:03   #6960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom

Your life is about to change now you know! No home, let alone garage, should be without a can.

Recent WD40 successes with my car paintwork:

--- removing a lump of chewing gum, which, otherwise, was just spreading and sticking.

--- removing the sticky residue of some packing tape which came in contact with the car.

Apart from it's wonderful range of clean-up and first-aid capabilities, it is a wonderful lubricant and rust preventer. Keep it away from the brakes
Ok, let's give it a shot then. Where do you buy it, anywhere online?
It seems like the 3M adhesive remover. Does this company make anything else?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks