Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 15:41   #7081
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

ijeet is correct.

Even I bought my 845 locally & it's worth. Just washed & dried the car & applied by hand with foam applicator, which is supplied along with 845. I didn't
use any paint cleaning/wax etc. Washed with Sonax shampoo & applied 845. Hope this's correct! good results. I use my car sparingly like weekly once/twice, so another 3-4 months no worries.
ALSUDA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 00:45   #7082
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
Guys i need some help. I have leather / rexine seat covers on my car. They are starting to get dirty and are loosing their sheen.

What is the best way to clean them so that they regain their original colour.

Also, is there a place in Delhi where i can get this done?
Get some all purpose cleaner and use that, it will work. Is your seat art leather? I am assuming that is the case, a good APC like meguiars or optimum will work well. In case you wish to get it done outside, i guess there are some decent detailing centers which do a good job on the interiors, just check and see what they are using and then go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
ijeet is correct.

Even I bought my 845 locally & it's worth. Just washed & dried the car & applied by hand with foam applicator, which is supplied along with 845. I didn't
use any paint cleaning/wax etc. Washed with Sonax shampoo & applied 845. Hope this's correct! good results. I use my car sparingly like weekly once/twice, so another 3-4 months no worries.
Are you claying the car before applying? If not, a sincere suggestion will be to clay it once 4-5 months so that the bonding is better. If the surface is prepared well, it helps in bonding of the wax and hence the durability also goes up.

Last edited by mkh : 21st March 2013 at 00:52.
mkh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 11:51   #7083
BHPian

Hi mkh, forgot to mention, did claying after washing.
Then applied 845.
ALSUDA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 13:51   #7084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
BTW, can Opti-Coat be applied to painted alloy wheels of a bike? (from the durability point of view). For now Im going to apply collinite as the 3m wax doesn't last much longer than 2 to 3 weeks.
?
Yes, Opti coat can be applied to the painted alloy wheels also, even if the finish is matte, its a permanent coating hence will perform well and also wheels will be easier to clean. 845 is a good idea and will definetly perform well !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 20:31   #7085
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Also, do you think I can use the wolfgang sealant and then use collinite as the LSP? Will that produce good results?

If I cover first with sealant and then top it with collinite, will the layer last for 3 (wolfgang) + 3 (collinite) = 6 months in total or only 3 months altogether?
Just my thought on this, if it helps you:
Layering is a much debated subject. Manufacturers always recommend layering their own products due to the probable science of chemical bonding but then people experiment and put layers of different products to get interesting results. Collinite has solvents hence it is said that layering may take off the LSP below it but then manufacturers of collinite have mentioned that it does NOT( refer - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...sealant-3.html)
That said its always best to check what is the base sealant and then apply a layer above. Woflgang DG is a nano sealant and remember to wait for 24 hours ideally before layering( you must be knowing it but just reiterating)
It does add to the durability but it cannot be mathematically added to get the duration of the protection.( though we wish it would!)
You will surely get more durability but no exact number of months can be put down, its based on several factors(like usage, climate etc)
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:26   #7086
BHPian

Fixed an appointment for tomorrow (23rd March'13) with 3M Nungambakkam for my 2 weeks old i20:

1. Under Chassis Anti Corrosion Treatment (5 Years Warranted) - Rs. 3500 (Incl. Tax)
2. Paint Sealant Essential - Rs.3290 + Tax

Saw the videos of the 3M Paint Protection Film. Has anyone tried it? Thinking of having this around the door handles area.

Any fellow buddies have plans to visit 3M Nungambakkam tomorrow? Would be happy for a meet up. Since I am planning to stay there for the entire session.
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:25   #7087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Fixed an appointment for tomorrow (23rd March'13) with 3M Nungambakkam for my 2 weeks old i20:
Any fellow buddies have plans to visit 3M Nungambakkam tomorrow? Would be happy for a meet up. Since I am planning to stay there for the entire session.
I am there right now, mate. Getting the paint sealant treatment done for my 90HP.
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:34   #7088
BHPian

Hi Mkh an Nirmal,

Got a question for your guys. Is it okay to wash with ONR before applying wax? Does it interfere with the way wax bonds with surface? I have heard contradictory and confusing reports about it so curious.

-Ijeet
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:48   #7089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Got a question for your guys. Is it okay to wash with ONR before applying wax? Does it interfere with the way wax bonds with surface? I have heard contradictory and confusing reports about it so curious.
-Ijeet
As per what i can figure out by the information given by Optimum, washing with ONR should not interfere with sealant or wax bonding ! On my personal cars i use ONR daily to quick detail and also washed them but dont find any adverse affect.

Dr. Ghodoussi has been working with paints from many years and is an expert in the field, hence i assume that he would have thought of all possibilities before releasing ONR into the market !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:01   #7090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Saw the videos of the 3M Paint Protection Film. Has anyone tried it? Thinking of having this around the door handles area.
Could be an excellent idea, and I was wondering the same yesterday when I noticed how many small scratches there are near the passenger door handle. Even though my wife is not a great jewellery wearer, it seems she has done more damage to this car than the city's buses and bikes have!

I wonder if the edges of the film would remain clean?

If you guys could enquire at 3m and post answers, that would be nice.

Actually... should be there myself soon, it being one year since my then-new car had its paint treatment.
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:25   #7091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
As per what i can figure out by the information given by Optimum, washing with ONR should not interfere with sealant or wax bonding ! On my personal cars i use ONR daily to quick detail and also washed them but dont find any adverse affect.

Dr. Ghodoussi has been working with paints from many years and is an expert in the field, hence i assume that he would have thought of all possibilities before releasing ONR into the market !

Thanks Nirmal,

That brings me to another question.

I live/work in a very dusty area. Daily evening car have a layer of dust, I can't wash it daily for obious reasons so Is it safe to QD with ONR? I have a jopasu duster so can i clean with Jopasu then spray ONR QD and wipe it with MF? Will it introduce marks?

-Ijeet
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:29   #7092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Could be an excellent idea, and I was wondering the same yesterday when I noticed how many small scratches there are near the passenger door handle. Even though my wife is not a great jewellery wearer, it seems she has done more damage to this car than the city's buses and bikes have!

Actually... should be there myself soon, it being one year since my then-new car had its paint treatment.
Sure will check it out tomorrow and try to post the 'before' and 'after' pictures.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:42   #7093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Thanks Nirmal,

That brings me to another question.

-Ijeet
Yes sure you can, you can dust it off with a jopasu duster gently and then QD with ONR !

You might have to wash the bottom of the doors, bumpers etc if there is mud accumulated !

Anything touching the paint over a period of time will leave swirls , but these will be very light ones which can be removed with a light polish ! The goal is to avoid deep scratches on the paint which can come as a result of grit particles being dragged across the paint with a cloth.
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:59   #7094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

The 3M PPF works wonders. You will not even notice the edges unless you have a keen eye.
And I have seen people doing it all over the body - I mean the whole car.
Recently saw a Mercedes G-Wagen getting the Matt Finish black film all over. It is the new fad - and not a bad idea either as re-painting the whole car is a real pain. Instead you can have the same matt effect & with the option of reverting back to the original colour.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:10   #7095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
The 3M PPF works wonders. You will not even notice the edges unless you have a keen eye.
And I have seen people doing it all over the body - I mean the whole car.
Recently saw a Mercedes G-Wagen getting the Matt Finish black film all over. It is the new fad - and not a bad idea either as re-painting the whole car is a real pain. Instead you can have the same matt effect & with the option of reverting back to the original colour.
How much does it cost? I am sure must be a bomb

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks