Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2013, 23:57   #7171
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I have a 4 year old Indica Vista. One of my friend recently brushed the sides of my rear bumper while parking. It has now bruises on both the sides but otherwise the bumper is fine.The color is Cavern Grey.

Can someone tell me how much it would cost me to paint the entire bumper at a FNH? I plan not to use my Insurance.
Normally within 3K if you get it done at an outside bodyshop.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2013, 23:58   #7172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Anyone on the forum has used the Meguiars G220 v2 DA polisher? Can you post some reviews on it? Have you had any problems with it over time like reduction in the cutting power, or finding spares or getting it serviced.

Also if anyone is planning to sell their Flex DA polisher kindly pm me.
I am using it from past four years and it is still going strong. now i se it to spread a coar of wax because i have a makita 9227c rotary for other services
NOTORIOUS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 00:25   #7173
BHPian

Planning to wash and wax my 4 month old Honda City. The colour i.e. Sparkling Brown Metallic, no matter how brilliant it looks IMHO, it is a pain to maintain, got the 3M paint protection done but got swirl marks pretty soon. I don't want to spend 4k again and go to 3M.
Now gurus please help me with what car wash to use and what wax to apply, to get the car back to shining(it still does, but I am not content) new. I already have a synthetic chamois and micro fibre clothes, I also have an unused can of turtle wax, but I don't mind buying a better product. Please help!

Also I would like to know about spray waxes like the tech wax from meguiars! Are they of any use to me?

Last edited by 599gto : 12th April 2013 at 00:35.
Old 12th April 2013, 00:52   #7174
BHPian

^^ try meguiars ultimate polish and top it up with tech wax or optimum car wax !

You can also try autoglym super rasin polish but its very hard to deal with autoglym india distributor.
Old 12th April 2013, 01:53   #7175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
I am using it from past four years and it is still going strong. now i se it to spread a coar of wax because i have a makita 9227c rotary for other services
So could you give a short review of G220? Is yours the v2?

Have you noticed any reduction in power of the machine over time, like compounding taking longer to provide the same results as earlier? Have you had any problems with the machine?

In case of any problems, who provides support for the machine? How easily are spare parts available?

Do you have any major complaints with the machine?

Also can you tell me if applying products by DA uses up more of the product than by hand such as in case of wax or sealant application??

Thanks.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 12th April 2013 at 01:56.
Old 12th April 2013, 02:06   #7176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
So could you give a short review of G220? Is yours the v2?

Have you noticed any reduction in power of the machine over time, like compounding taking longer to provide the same results as earlier? Have you had any problems with the machine?

No.

In case of any problems, who provides support for the machine? How easily are spare parts available?

Mine was imported from uk , till now it works fine. For servicing , its always a route of DIY

Do you have any major complaints with the machine?

NO

Also can you tell me if applying products by DA uses up more of the product than by hand such as in case of wax or sealant application??

no , it helps to spread the product better and evenly.

Thanks.

answers in bold above , hope it helps
NOTORIOUS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 02:39   #7177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post

answers in bold above , hope it helps
What all do you need to regularly service and how frequently? Also what materials do you need for carrying out servicing? Is that stuff available locally?

Now that meguiars is selling the product in India, will you rely on them for fixing your problems?

The two DAs in my consideration are flex and g220. Ive got very good reviews about the flex from Mr. Nirmal and have seen it personally. The machine felt great and the service centre in Bangalore seems very knowledgeable and can provide the rwgular service at a minimal cost.

Last but not the least, in between the G220 and the Flex DA, which one would you choose?

Thanks a lot for your replies
Old 12th April 2013, 12:25   #7178
BHPian

Hi.
While washing the vehicle yesterday, the badge broke off. So I removed it completely. Now there's a foam kind of gum residue which isn't coming off with shampoo/Meg's QD.
Any idea on how to remove it cleanly? I'll be using Meg's Ultimate Polish to remove swirls/scratches & Wax the area afterwards.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image3583249235.jpg  

Old 12th April 2013, 15:25   #7179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_gautam View Post
Hi.
While washing the vehicle yesterday, the badge broke off. So I removed it completely. Now there's a foam kind of gum residue which isn't coming off with shampoo/Meg's QD.
Any idea on how to remove it cleanly? I'll be using Meg's Ultimate Polish to remove swirls/scratches & Wax the area afterwards.
Thanks!
I am in search for the same. Cloth dipped in turpentine oil did not solve the problem.
In the past I have used nail polish remover (the one with acetone) to remove super glue residues - so that should work. I shall try that this weekend.
Old 12th April 2013, 15:45   #7180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I am in search for the same. Cloth dipped in turpentine oil did not solve the problem.
In the past I have used nail polish remover (the one with acetone) to remove super glue residues - so that should work. I shall try that this weekend.
This video was shared a few pages back or in another forum post(don't remember exactly).

Sadly no access to a heat gun or hair dryer to do this.

You can try it if you have a hair dryer with you.

Old 12th April 2013, 15:58   #7181
BHPian

Quote:
Hi.
Thanks!
Spray on zorrik ( equivalent to wd40) put a couple of tissue papers on this. Spray some more on the tissue. Wait for a couple of minutes and then rub off. Should do the trick if you do it a couple of times.

Then a polish and paint sealant will make it look like new. ( two coats of wax )
Old 12th April 2013, 16:39   #7182
BHPian

Quote:
Hi.
Thanks!
You can also use hot air (a hair dryer) to make it easy for the gum to get off.
Old 12th April 2013, 17:08   #7183
BHPian

Quote:
Hi.
While ve it cleanly? I'll be using Meg's Ultimate Polish to remove swirls/scratches & Wax the area afterwards.
Thanks!
WD40 will help in this case, just spray on and lightly rub with a microfiber cloth, also Tar X from Carpro helps to remove adhesive residue from acrylic double sided tapes such as these used to affix emblems !

Hope this helps !
Old 12th April 2013, 17:26   #7184
BHPian

I plan to do some DIY heavy polishing with rubbing compound as my black car has all those tiny scratches all over with heavy swirl marks. Now, I'm clear about the way till applying and buffing with the rubbing compound. Confusion is regarding what to do after rubbing? Shall I go ahead and wax the car with Formula 1 Carnauba wax and then apply Collinite 845 in that order or anything else needs to be done in between? Or both the Formula 1 Carnauba wax and Collinite 845 the same thing and only differ in durability? I am under the impression that Formula 1 is the wax and Collinite is the insulator covering the wax. Am I correct or I'm missing something here?
Old 12th April 2013, 17:47   #7185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Spray on zorrik ( equivalent to wd40) put a couple of tissue papers on this. Spray some more on the tissue. Wait for a couple of minutes and then rub off. Should do the trick if you do it a couple of times.

Then a polish and paint sealant will make it look like new. ( two coats of wax )
Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
You can also use hot air (a hair dryer) to make it easy for the gum to get off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
WD40 will help in this case, just spray on and lightly rub with a microfiber cloth, also Tar X from Carpro helps to remove adhesive residue from acrylic double sided tapes such as these used to affix emblems !

Hope this helps !
@torquecurve & nirmaljusdoit : Don't have WD-40, will try & source it though I don't know if I'll get it in Yelahanka. Fingers crossed!

OT : Can STP Engine Degreaser be used as an alternative to WD-40. Reason I ask is I've ordered it couple of days back & expecting it by monday. Then I can avoid buying another WD-40.

@KkVaidya : No hair dryer sir! Guess beg/borrow/steal from someone. A lesson well learnt in college.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks