Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 17:33   #7156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
I am looking to buy car wash bucket filter. I am not sure if it is the correct name. Any leads where can I buy this in Bangalore.

Thanks,
Arvind
It's a grit guard. You can order from Bringing Best (www.bringingbest.com). They ship across the country.

Last edited by bloodred : 9th April 2013 at 17:35.
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 11:36   #7157
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravee_nk View Post
Sorry I posted in wrong form and I Should have come here first. I have a question. Having got paint protection film done for my Duster (rear bumper, side projections), can I do a quick detailing where the protection film is there? Meguiars product site says it is ok. Any first hand experience some one can share? Thanks n cheers
If i understand, a quick detail will mean spray+wipe using a Quick Detailer?
If yes, there are no issues doing a quick detail on the paint protection film.

On a side note: Do not polish the surface unless you know what are you applying and what it contains
Another point - to keep the surface in best shape, its good to apply a quality UV protective sealant or even wax, it does not harm.
Finally - do ensure you follow the manufacturers recommendation if anything you hear conflicts with what they say
Hope this helps!
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 11:43   #7158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
If i understand, a quick detail will mean spray+wipe using a Quick Detailer?
If yes, there are no issues doing a quick detail on the paint protection film.

On a side note: Do not polish the surface unless you know what are you applying and what it contains
Another point - to keep the surface in best shape, its good to apply a quality UV protective sealant or even wax, it does not harm.
Finally - do ensure you follow the manufacturers recommendation if anything you hear conflicts with what they say
Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot! Yes it is Meguiars spray & wipe. Yes I got the sealant work done by 3M car care, HSR Layout, awesome job!
Unfortunately Renault has not given any recommendation on exterior care :( Thanks again. Cheers
Old 10th April 2013, 14:22   #7159
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot! Yes it is Meguiars spray & wipe. Yes I got the sealant work done by 3M car care, HSR Layout, awesome job!
Unfortunately Renault has not given any recommendation on exterior care :( Thanks again. Cheers
Sorry i should have mentioned that the manufacturer of the paint protection film!
Car manufacturers do not recommend anything much on paint care :(
Old 10th April 2013, 22:13   #7160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Sorry i should have mentioned that the manufacturer of the paint protection film!
Car manufacturers do not recommend anything much on paint care :(
Sure no issue. Checked on Meguiars product help page. As long as no abrasive product is used on PPF, it is
ok it seems. They have actually cleared waxing, quick detailing etc. Shall post an update on what 3M themselves
say though Meguiars itself is a 3M company for some time now. Cheers
Old 10th April 2013, 23:02   #7161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravee_nk
Sorry I posted in wrong form and I Should have come here first. I have a question. Having got paint protection film done for my Duster (rear bumper, side projections), can I do a quick detailing where the protection film is there? Meguiars product site says it is ok. Any first hand experience some one can share? Thanks n cheers
What is a paint protection film? Did you just get the 3M sealant? If yes, you can use anything over it and be informed it does not last longer than 2 months.
Old 10th April 2013, 23:49   #7162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
What is a paint protection film? Did you just get the 3M sealant? If yes, you can use anything over it and be informed it does not last longer than 2 months.
He is talking about the transparent PPF films and not the paint sealant thingy.
Old 11th April 2013, 00:44   #7163
BHPian

Anyone on the forum has used the Meguiars G220 v2 DA polisher? Can you post some reviews on it? Have you had any problems with it over time like reduction in the cutting power, or finding spares or getting it serviced.

Also if anyone is planning to sell their Flex DA polisher kindly pm me.
Old 11th April 2013, 06:24   #7164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Hmmm sorry I should have explained. Yes I got the 3M sealant done for the entire body and the PPF only for some parts of bumpers, door frames/edges and some bulgy portion over rear wheels in my Duster.

It was largely based on my personal experience;you drive through Bangalore traffic contacts are likely to happen when the autos and 2 wheelers weave through around you Also I negotiate some tight corners in our pillar filled cellar parking

Well, PPF is expensive. For that matter even the 3M Sealant is considering it lasts only for less than a quarter unlike PPF which lasts much longer. My idea was to have Sealant and PPF done when I took delivery and then manage it with regular shampoo wash / ONR / once a month quick detailing / quarterly waxing (no outsourcing any of these). May be a couple of times visit Mr. Siddhu at 3M HSR. Does that sound an OK plan?

Cheers
Old 11th April 2013, 12:46   #7165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Looks like you have developed a good method there. Have you observed swirl after following this method?

I also use two buckets method, I use Formula 1 wax and wash product as cleaning aid and Amaroll washing mits. But I notice lots of swirls all over the body while looking from the top. Seems I need to take few lessons from you.

Where are you in Pune..?
I am at Viman Nagar (Konark Campus). I have not noticed many swirls esp because the dust does not move at all on the car. The soap actually acts as a lubricant and creates a barrier between the particle and paint allowing it to slip off when you use the sponge.

Lessons from me! -

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Wow, now that's an excellent insight. Even i was very uncomfortable with the Idea of wasting too much water with the rinsing part.
And the fact that i had to carry buckets from 3rd floor to parking was also not helping much.
Any lead as to the kind of shops that i should be going to find that high absorbency sponge which is soft enough for such application.
Also I am getting AmorAll wash and wax at hyper city (450 Rs for 423 ml). Is that a good product to begin with and right price? (Not getting sonax any where online)

Thanks in advance.

Rohit
I pick up most of my stuff from Reliance Mart/ Autozone. Or online I order from Bringing best. He is pretty good and can procure some stuff if you need as well.

The high absorbency sponge is not a requierment. A regular sponge will also do, however will take a little more work!
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2013, 14:43   #7166
Distinguished - BHPian

The film for the bumpers would be a really great idea, but, unfortunately, my front bumper got its first really visible scratch just now. Too late for film!

When I first read of the 3m film, it was in the context of whole body panels. You could cover your entire car with it. Maybe this is appropriate in other economies only.

My car, by the way, is now just over a year since purchase and 3m treatment. I do feel that the 3m paint sealant has lasted well. The car usage is light (less than 5000 this year!) but i confess that I have never waxed it, using only Quick Detailer after a wash. Yet it still has pretty good shine.

I don't mind repeating this treatment annually, and will be returning to 3m very soon.
Old 11th April 2013, 15:01   #7167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I don't mind repeating this treatment annually, and will be returning to 3m very soon.
What I've heard from Chennai guys that Privilege Moto Mall / Privilege Carz Spa do a good job for detailing and they are cheaper than 3M too. You can find their details here:

http://privilegemotomall.com/contact.php

BTW I'm not from Chennai and not associated with the company and never used their service.
Old 11th April 2013, 15:35   #7168
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. Yes, I know the place. I have bought some stuff, including my mats from them. There is another place for detailing and cleaning, Car Care, on OMR, which is very highly spoken of by its customers.

So far as basic surface treatment is concerned, I prefer to stick with the same thing, which means, at least this year, sticking with 3m.
Old 11th April 2013, 20:38   #7169
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, PPF is expensive. For that matter even the 3M Sealant is considering it lasts only for less than a quarter unlike PPF which lasts much longer. My idea was to have Sealant and PPF done when I took delivery and then manage it with regular shampoo wash / ONR / once a month quick detailing / quarterly waxing (no outsourcing any of these). May be a couple of times visit Mr. Siddhu at 3M HSR. Does that sound an OK plan?

Cheers
Any sealant or wax put on the surface has a life because of environmental factors, washing etc.
The duration of the protection depends on several factors
1. How well was the surface prepared prior to application
2. Quality of the sealant applied and layers
3. After care- how many washes, quality of shampoo etc. Many shampoos just strip off the sealant/wax while others do not( high quality ones)
If you plan to do a quick detail once a month and no daily wash, the sealant will last longer.
You can also learn some DIY techniques to prolong the protection and use high quality easy to use sealants that you can apply on own in between visits, if you want to. A visit to a professional center is helpful when you want a machine polish mainly or products that you cannot source/use on own.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by mkh : 11th April 2013 at 20:43.
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2013, 22:37   #7170
BHPian

I have a 4 year old Indica Vista. One of my friend recently brushed the sides of my rear bumper while parking. It has now bruises on both the sides but otherwise the bumper is fine.The color is Cavern Grey.

Can someone tell me how much it would cost me to paint the entire bumper at a FNH? I plan not to use my Insurance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks