Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 18:01   #7186
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
needs to be done in between? Or both the Formula 1 Carnauba wax and Collinite 845 the same thing and only differ in durability? I am under the impression that Formula 1 is the wax and Collinite is the insulator covering the wax. Am I correct or I'm missing something here?
You can apply either one as your last step product, both are waxes designed for the last step ! A carnauba wax will have lesser durability as compared to a sealant or waxes like Collinite 845. It is also known as an insulator wax used to insulate electrical points. its one of the most durable waxes around !
Old 12th April 2013, 18:06   #7187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
You can apply either one as your last step product, both are waxes designed for the last step...
So, it means that after rubbing the car with rubbing compound, I can straightway apply any one of these. Isn't it? And if these are the final items, anything that is suggested after rubbing and before the wax?

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 12th April 2013 at 18:10.
Old 12th April 2013, 18:15   #7188
BHPian

Quote:
So, it means that after rubbing the car with rubbing compound, I can straightway apply any one of these. Isn't it? And if these are the final items, anything that is suggested after rubbing and before the wax?
Yes, you can, if you wish you can rub down the surface with isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface of all compound residue & could also use a polish to refine the finish further. Try compound first & observe the results, Please refer the flowchart below from Autogeek which shows the steps including the optional steps for detailing !
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-flowchart.jpg  

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 12th April 2013 at 18:19.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 18:54   #7189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_gautam View Post

OT : Can STP Engine Degreaser be used as an alternative to WD-40. Reason I ask is I've ordered it couple of days back & expecting it by monday. Then I can avoid buying another WD-40.
You can try it, just read the directions on the can ! Some strong degreasers if left on paint too long and if they dry can leave behind marks, so ensure that they dont stay on more than necessary
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 19:46   #7190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Please refer the flowchart below from Autogeek which shows the steps including the optional steps for detailing !
Thanks for the flowchart. But then again refer to the last point there and that precisely is my confusion. They talk of using a sealant before carnauba wax. So, what are the brand names of such sealants that are available? Earlier I thought Collinite 845 is a sealant but now from your post, it seems that its a wax only and not a sealant (albeit very durable).
Old 13th April 2013, 00:29   #7191
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the flowchart. But then again refer to the last point there and that precisely is my confusion. They talk of using a sealant before carnauba wax. So, what are the brand names of such sealants that are available? Earlier I thought Collinite 845 is a sealant but now from your post, it seems that its a wax only and not a sealant (albeit very durable).
Whats your budget for paint sealant and which car do you own ??

can suggest you accordingly !
Old 13th April 2013, 01:36   #7192
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to do some DIY heavy polishing with rubbing compound as my black car has all those tiny scratches all over with heavy swirl marks. Now, I'm clear about the way till applying and buffing with the rubbing compound. Confusion is regarding what to do after rubbing? Shall I go ahead and wax the car with Formula 1 Carnauba wax and then apply Collinite 845 in that order or anything else needs to be done in between? Or both the Formula 1 Carnauba wax and Collinite 845 the same thing and only differ in durability? I am under the impression that Formula 1 is the wax and Collinite is the insulator covering the wax. Am I correct or I'm missing something here?
If you are rubbing an polishing ( in that order) I suggest you first try it on a small panel and then move to the whole car. It is Easy to apply extra pressure and do more harm than good if you are not careful. Have had the experience with my vista and trust me it looks bad. ESP. Because your car is black.

Mind sharing what compound you using and polish as well. after polishing apply a coat of collinite then do a wax. With formula 1. Wax be careful as it also has some abrasive action and will affect the collinite coat. You could actually do a paint sealant followed by two coats of collinite and get great results. The carnauba hard wax will only add to the wet look.formula1 actually is not a long lasting wax 3 4 weeks in our weather. Collinite easily goes for 4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_gautam View Post

@torquecurve & nirmaljusdoit : Don't have WD-40, will try & source it though I don't know if I'll get it in Yelahanka. Fingers crossed!
college.
If not wd40 then zorrik88 should be available. It is a pidilite product. Try your local hardware shops.

Quote:
Collinite is as good as a sealant. The cheapest sealant you can get is the motomax paint sealant.

Last edited by torquecurve : 13th April 2013 at 01:41.
Old 13th April 2013, 09:55   #7193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
If you are rubbing an polishing ( in that order) I suggest you first try it on a small panel and then move to the whole car. ..... Because your car is black.
I know, and thats why I've never rubbed the car in all these years and have only used carnauba wax. But, now those nasty scratches that everyone on the road seems hell bent on making on a parked car, has become too much to bear. I'll start with some small portion on my RHS door and will decide further basis my workmanship.
Quote:
Mind sharing what compound you using and polish as well. ........ Collinite easily goes for 4 months.
I'll be using Motomax 2K rubbing compound, along with Formula 1 Shine it all polish. I've ordered Shine it all and Collinite online and should be receiving them today. So, instead of beaking my head too much over this issue, I think I'll do the following-

Rubbing with Motomax 2K> Polish with Shine it all > Wax with Collinite > Wax with Formula 1 Carnauba wax.

Tomorrow being Sunday, will be a good time for flexing those muscles. Just keeping my fingers crossed that courier delivers my items by today evening.

BTW, slightly OT, only applying and buffing the car by hand with one wax polish is a huge workout in itself.. god knows what will happen to me with 4 rounds of the above. Hope I'll still be in one piece to report on my detailing workmanship.
Old 13th April 2013, 11:05   #7194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit

You can apply either one as your last step product, both are waxes designed for the last step ! A carnauba wax will have lesser durability as compared to a sealant or waxes like Collinite 845. It is also known as an insulator wax used to insulate electrical points. its one of the most durable waxes around !
C845 is a sealant, a hybrid but a sealant.
Old 13th April 2013, 11:56   #7195
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I plan to do some DIY heavy polishing with rubbing compound as my black car has all those tiny scratches all over with heavy swirl marks. Now, I'm clear about the way till applying and buffing with the rubbing compound. Confusion is regarding what to do after rubbing? Shall I go ahead and wax the car with Formula 1 Carnauba wax and then apply Collinite 845 in that order or anything else needs to be done in between? Or both the Formula 1 Carnauba wax and Collinite 845 the same thing and only differ in durability? I am under the impression that Formula 1 is the wax and Collinite is the insulator covering the wax. Am I correct or I'm missing something here?
Without confusing you, let me add a few things
1. Are you going to do rubbing/polishing by hand? If so- at best what you can achieve is visually hide swirls but no paint cut to remove them completely which can only happen with a machine polish

2. LSP- Last step product. You can apply a sealant OR a carnauba wax. These are mutually exclusive in most cases, unless where people want to layer wax to get that "deep look" that a sealant does not give. A sealant is more durable, yes but the look is a gloss and sharp look finally. Carnauba waxes these days are more durable than earlier, but very few are actually having proper carnauba content. A good one can be expensive because of the high quality T1 grade carnauba( like dodo juice waxes)
Collinite 845 has wax and synthetic polymers which makes it a hybrid- best is to refer http://www.collinite.com/about-us/faqs/ where it clearly mentions this on question 2

3. To get BEST results in terms of durability, layer your sealant/wax with the SAME product as base and then later add a product on top for the look etc.
Ex If you put sealant X, layer the same one again after the time it takes to cure and then finally you can add something else like a wax for the extra look and possible protection.
Again refer the FAQ's from the manufacturer and its says Collinite can be layered over your sealant

To get accurate answers on a product, best is to go with manufacturers technical details but take the recommendations on times of usage/durability with a pinch of salt as there can be some marketing/sales flavour there!

Hope this helps and not confuses you more ( sorry if it did!)
Old 13th April 2013, 12:51   #7196
BHPian

Quote:
I know, and thats why I've never rubbed the car in all these years and have only used carnauba wax. But, now those nasty scratches that everyone on the road seems hell bent on making on a parked car, has become too much to bear. I'll start with some small portion on my RHS door and will decide further basis my workmanship.

I'll be using Motomax 2K rubbing compound, along with Formula 1 Shine it all polish. I've ordered Shine it all and Collinite online and should be receiving them today. So, instead of beaking my head too much over this issue, I think I'll do the following-

Rubbing with Motomax 2K> Polish with Shine it all > Wax with Collinite > Wax with Formula 1 Carnauba wax.

Tomorrow being Sunday, will be a good time for flexing those muscles. Just keeping my fingers crossed that courier delivers my items by today evening.

BTW, slightly OT, only applying and buffing the car by hand with one wax polish is a huge workout in itself.. god knows what will happen to me with 4 rounds of the above. Hope I'll still be in one piece to report on my detailing workmanship.
Be careful with the formula1 shine it all. Medium pressure will be required. It does have an abrasive action, high pressure and you damage the paint low pressure and you don't get great results. Concentrate more on the moving of the applicator than the pressure. Motomax2k will need low pressure but more motions.

Paint correction is going to be tiring for sure but the results are worth the effort. All the best.

P.s. start on the rear fender instead of the front door. If you do make mistakes they are not evident and the rear fender is where you would also look at the least. Front door is something which will, if you do it wrong, hurt you always!!
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 13:08   #7197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Without confusing you, let me add a few things
1. Are you going to do rubbing/polishing by hand? ..........
.........Hope this helps and not confuses you more ( sorry if it did!)
Thanks, mkh. Well, since I'll be rubbing with hand, I'm not expecting great results. But, still I want to try as I've become tired of those tiny hairline scratches on the black colour. Hope I can achieve some result.

Quote:
P.s. start on the rear fender instead of the front door. If you do make mistakes they are not evident and the rear fender is where you would also look at the least. Front door is something which will, if you do it wrong, hurt you always!!
Thats one cracking piece of advice. Thanks. I'll start at some inconspicuous area to try my hand (and with black colour you need not look around too much for those scratches, they are everywhere).
Old 13th April 2013, 19:19   #7198
BHPian

Is there any alternative to claybar? There seem to be lot of stuff stuck on the car and claybar seems expensive. I got my collinite 845 and before using that I'd like to get rid of the contaminants.

Thanks,
-Vinay.
Old 13th April 2013, 20:16   #7199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Is there any alternative to claybar? There seem to be lot of stuff stuck on the car and claybar seems expensive. I got my collinite 845 and before using that I'd like to get rid of the contaminants.

Thanks,
-Vinay.
Three alternatives i guess. The really cheap one would be Meguiars APC diluted but it wont be much effective.

The costly ones are IronX and TarX from CarPro available from greenz car care.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 20:41   #7200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post

Thanks,
-Vinay.
If it's tar use diesel or WD 40 - works well.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks