Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2012, 13:33   #6436
BHPian

I had a question about the mf cloth we all use to clean the car. After I finish cleaning the car, I use the now dirty mf cloth to clean the alloys.

Today it stuck me that cleaning the alloys with the same cloth may damage the fabric and the next time I use it on the car (after washing the cloth of course) it might not be safe on paint.

Is that understanding correct or will the mf remain non abrasive no matter what..
Old 4th November 2012, 19:14   #6437
BHPian

I did first ever car wash today of my car. Thanks to this superb cleaning guide. I decided against availing the daily service of the over eager neighbourhood car cleaner. Instead I took matters in my hand considering that my Red Polo would need some pampering to ensure the red shine lasts long. Thanks once again for this guide.
Old 4th November 2012, 22:20   #6438
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankdadevil View Post
I did first ever car wash today of my car. Thanks to this superb cleaning guide. I decided against availing the daily service of the over eager neighbourhood car cleaner. Instead I took matters in my hand considering that my Red Polo would need some pampering to ensure the red shine lasts long. Thanks once again for this guide.
Congrats. When you say " pampering " I guess you did more than just washing. BTW, every RED POLO I see on road, for some unknown reason I get the feeling that all of them have a glossy/wet look ! OK, may be I am not practical here and my views are biased

Pics please
Old 4th November 2012, 22:50   #6439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Friends please advise me on the best polish and applicator material for the Ktm Duke. The body of the bike except the frame is made of plastic. I recently used the 3m all in one shiner all over the plastic parts and the vinyl stickering. Noticed a few swirls there yesterday.

Have used 3m microfibre cloth to clean the bike and a soft cloth to apply the polish. On the rough surfaces like the mudguards and chain guards, it gave almost a showroom finish. I want to maintain the neon orange in a pristine condition.

Please advise how to go about it. I hope this isn't OT on this thread.
Lots of cloths, including soft cotton, are non-abrasive. It is the dust itself that is abrasive. That is why you should always be extremely careful with that first-stage removal of a dust layer from the car whatever fabric or duster you use to do it with.

The secret of micro-fibre is that it is able "absorb" dust, which lessens the risk to the surface you are cleaning. Google will befriend you in finding out the structure of the micro fibre. Those fibres have a kind of a sharpness. You can feel it when you rub the cloth on your skin. In time, it gets blunted, and the cloth becomes less effective at both holding dust and getting dirt out of micro grooves in the material you are cleaning.

There is a whole science of microfibre cloths!

Suggest you use a brush to get rid of mud and brake-pad deposit from your alloys, not because it would harm the mf cloth, but because it is a better tool for the job. I guess you could finish them with microfibre.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 23:50   #6440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Today it stuck me that cleaning the alloys with the same cloth may damage the fabric and the next time I use it on the car (after washing the cloth of course) it might not be safe on paint.

Is that understanding correct or will the mf remain non abrasive no matter what..
Absolutely correct. Don't use the same micro fiber(MF) for both the clear coat paint and alloys. Have separate MF for them, as alloys are more dirty & have brake dust which is abrasive.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 15:04   #6441
BHPian

I'm on the look out for Blackfire Diamond All Finish Paint Protection & Gloss Enhancing Polish. Inquired with Sanjay (bringingbest) but they have stopped stocking AFPP due to low demand and high prices. Unlikely to get new stock.

I'm not aware if this is available anywhere else. If it is could any member please point it out to me.

Also is there a suitable polish & sealant alternative to BF?
Old 6th November 2012, 00:17   #6442
BHPian

hi

what is the job the sealant? and is collinite a sealant or wax??

I have a formula one car shampoo+wax. i generally shampoo my car and then wax it with eagle one nanowax.

Also, I am not able to procure 3M products. i checked some shops in delhi and tried looking online too but to no avail. could anyone plz let me know where can i get the 3M MF cloth and other 3M products?

and for the interiors what do the experts here suggest? I was again considering 3M vinyl polish

regards
Old 6th November 2012, 07:53   #6443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18
hi

I have a formula one car shampoo+wax. i generally shampoo my car and then wax it with eagle one nanowax.

Also, I am not able to procure 3M products. i checked some shops in delhi and tried looking online too but to no avail. could anyone plz let me know where can i get the 3M MF cloth and other 3M products?

and for the interiors what do the experts here suggest? I was again considering 3M vinyl polish

regards
The Collinite which is talked about here is a sealant wax, applied at the final step of detailing a car.

You can get 3M micro-fiber cloth or any other retail 3M products at any 3M car care centre in your city.
Old 6th November 2012, 08:22   #6444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Sealant's job is to locks/protects the entire area as is; Wax protects the surface with a little lusture & doesn't allow the paint surface to get marred. The general thumb rule is to apply sealant after waxing. Collinite 845 is liquid wax, Collinite 476 is super high quality solid wax & lasts longer.

Quote:
and for the interiors...considering 3M vinyl polish
FK108AS? I'm using it on my CBR's exteriors & does splendid job until now.
Old 6th November 2012, 13:31   #6445
BHPian

So does that mean I can apply collinite 845 after the wash? Or first the wax and then collinite 845?
Old 6th November 2012, 16:05   #6446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
I'm on the look out for Blackfire Diamond All Finish Paint Protection & Gloss Enhancing Polish. Inquired with Sanjay (bringingbest) but they have stopped stocking AFPP due to low demand and high prices. Unlikely to get new stock
That's some news. BlackFire AFPP is a very good product and highly underrated. It beads water for longer and keeps the surface slick compared to carnauba based wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Also is there a suitable polish & sealant alternative to BF?
Let me see if I could find one which is available here easily.

Quote:
Sealant is synthetic chemical which is used instead of carnauba based wax.

Merits of sealant:
1. Easier to apply than carnauba based wax.
2. Beads water for longer carnauba based wax.
3. Protects surface for longer than carnuaba based wax.
4. Luster is almost 85% of carnauba based wax.
5. Leaves little to no fine dust after buffing compared to carnauba based wax.

Collinite 845 is a carnauba based wax and certainly not a sealant. I have used Collinte 915 before shifting to Blackfire Paint sealant. Still have a half tin of 915 lying redundant with me.

Quote:
for the interiors what do the experts here suggest? I was again considering 3M vinyl polish
Meguiars Natural Shine spray. Terrific product for interior plastic trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The Collinite which is talked about here is a sealant wax, applied at the final step of detailing a car.
845 is a carnauba based wax and used as a LSP(Last Step Product) after applying paint sealant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The general thumb rule is to apply sealant after waxing. Collinite 845 is liquid wax, Collinite 476 is super high quality solid wax & lasts longer.
Wrong, sealant is applied first and followed by carnauba based wax as LSP. It is not necessary to follow up wax after sealant, since new sealants are very easy in application and protect surface for longer and luster is nearly(85%) same as carnauba based wax. Sealant's are more than enough, only if you seek an extra layer, carnauba wax is LSP after sealant.

Collinte 476 will drain you hands after finishing applying & buffing it off. Its very hard wax and takes a lot of elbow grease to work.

Quote:
So does that mean I can apply collinite 845 after the wash? Or first the wax and then collinite 845?
The current step you are following with wash/shampoo and wax with Eagle One is good enough. Once you finish Eagle One you could certainly try paint sealant and you would never use carnauba based ever.
Old 6th November 2012, 16:29   #6447
BHPian

Guys any suggestions for cleaning Alloy wheels. My Alloys pick regular black spots which dont go from regular washing. I am assuming its the Road Tar. ANything which can help me clean these spots?

Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 17:27   #6448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Guys any suggestions for cleaning Alloy wheels. My Alloys pick regular black spots which dont go from regular washing. I am assuming its the Road Tar. ANything which can help me clean these spots?

Thanks
@Rachit: I would suggest, spray WD40 liberally on the alloys. If you have a tar remover (which is generally kerosene based) you could use that too.
Leave it for 5 minutes (you may use a tissue to hold the liquid in place in contact with the tar.)
Hopefully, using a toothbrush with soapy water will be enough to get rid of most of the black spots.

What ever remains, can then be clayed off.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 17:36   #6449
Senior - BHPian

I searched online, but it seems too confusing to find a product that is strictly a polish. Some of them says polish and wax, some of them polishing wax. Could anybody suggest me a name for the polish? I searched at vicky's website.
Old 6th November 2012, 18:45   #6450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
If you really want something perfect which would really eat through brake dust, tar spots, then SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect, is the choice. Costs Rs. 429 for 500 ml. This is the current product of choice for users. Albeit costly but perfect. But I didn't tell the important factor, that its PH Neutral.

You can contact Mr Madhu at 9620207465 or 080-22217879, company name is Methods Automotive. Had an interaction with him at Autocar Performance Show. He would let you know of the nearest distributor of SONAX from whom you could pick it up. BTW SONAX products are Made In Germany.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks