Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2012, 16:08   #6376
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
The sealant I use is not available in the open market (in India). It is a professional sealant based on inorganic siloxane.
Is it this one?

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealan.../prod_845.html
Old 10th October 2012, 16:19   #6377
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Sun, It is not in the GTechniq range of products. Their C1 is a good product, but application was very difficult in our Indian conditions. This C1.5, EXO etc are newer products which we have not tried. EXO is an aerosol product which is very difficult to get because of the restriction being a DG (dangerous goods) product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Which shampoo would you recommend me over Amway? Since my stock of Amway is nearly finished can change over to one recommended by you
Of the 3 products that you showed in the petri dish, which product brand is it which formed the hardest membrane? If you were to recommend a paint sealant which one it be?
El lobo, choose you best hair shampoo. Completely safe. Easy to test also. Oil your hair for an hour or two. Shampoo it. If you hair is soft and silky (avoid the conditioners) then that would do a good job on your car. Long time back I used to use Sunsilk, but now that I use this sealant i prefer an alkaline shampoo.

Difficult question you ask regarding paint sealants. There are many factors when choosing this. The color of your car, the hardness of the paint, the thickness of the paint, the conditions your car is parked under etc. Needless to say, how much time for after care can you spare. My personal target is 10%+ than showroom shine. Remember there are TWO different type of paint sealants. One is a functional sealant and the other is a aesthetic sealant. The functional sealant will not have the features to enhance the finish but will keep the car clean, have anti-static property but not enhance the lustre/shine. The other type is more sensitive. Have good hydrophobic quality but not necessarily have good anti-static property.

As team-bhp restricts naming products (thought of as promotion), I can help you choose but cannot recommend.

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th October 2012 at 17:45. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 10th October 2012, 17:01   #6378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As team-bhp restricts naming products (thought of as promotion), I can help you choose but cannot recommend.
Nah, you can name the product. I suggest products for car detailing to bhpians and never have Moderators have any problem to it.

Now you could recommend a car shampoo and a paint sealant without any hesitation of an infraction, or you could PM me at most.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 10:09   #6379
BHPian

Quote:
ThinkBig, you've given us a good insight to the process. And your passion shows off very clearly on your car as well. Please with us the names of sealant you use for the benefit of the whole group. Don't think any mod will have a problem with naming, after all you are only using them not selling them.

You can, if you wish, put in a standard disclaimer at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Nah, you can name the product. I suggest products for car detailing to bhpians and never have Moderators have any problem to it.

+1 to that rohaan.
Old 11th October 2012, 13:54   #6380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's the same on just about all the forums I am active on. Yes, you can name, Yes, you can recommend --- as long as you are not selling it yourself or promoting your own business!

If we could not name and recommend commercial products, how would we even discuss the cars themselves!

Disclaimer: I think disclaimers just look silly. Innocent unless proved guilty.

Real Disclaimer: I'm not a member of the Team-BHP team: this is all just my personal opinion.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th October 2012 at 13:56.
Old 11th October 2012, 20:37   #6381
Senior - BHPian

Can someone please recommend me a Dual Action orbital polisher that can be purchased in US and will work here perfectly.

Please help, it kind of urgent.
Old 11th October 2012, 20:42   #6382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Can someone please recommend me a Dual Action orbital polisher that can be purchased in US and will work here perfectly.

If I understood your question correctly - you wish to buy a DA in US , that will work in India - right?

IMO the best (pricey) option is the Flex XC 3401 - choose a kit if you like.

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-230-volt-polisher.html
Old 11th October 2012, 20:51   #6383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
If I understood your question correctly - you wish to buy a DA in US , that will work in India - right?

IMO the best (pricey) option is the Flex XC 3401 - choose a kit if you like.

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-230-volt-polisher.html
Yeah i want a 220V DA polisher, but flex is totally out of budget.
404$ is very very costly
Old 11th October 2012, 21:29   #6384
BANNED

Folks check out these 2 videos. One is showing the hydrophilicity of a functional coating and the other the antistatic property.

The sheeting effect avoids water marks.

Fine powder is sprayed on and then with a hand fan, the side coated is kept clean.

Unfortunately they say it is not for dark coloured cars or those that who are concerned with the final shine of the car.
ThinkBig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 21:50   #6385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks check out these 2 videos. One is showing the hydrophilicity of a functional coating and the other the antistatic property.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=P6_SD4ct8ME

The sheeting effect avoids water marks.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=e6Vp6...ature=Youtu.be

Fine powder is sprayed on and then with a hand fan, the side coated is kept clean.

Unfortunately they say it is not for dark coloured cars or those that who are concerned with the final shine of the car.

Nice videos.Although, it would have been better if you post the name of the products which give this effect along with the videos. It would be more helpful for the others too. No mod will ban you for revealing the name of the products. If that was the case , all of us who are active on this thread would have been banned by now. LOL!
Old 11th October 2012, 21:56   #6386
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any inputs on the Skil 9070 polisher. By the looks of it,i think its a rotary. Has Speed settings from 1-6. Has 7 inch backing plate.All available for just 5500 bucks.

Here is the link to the specifications. Will it be a good buy?

Skil 9070
Old 11th October 2012, 22:14   #6387
BHPian

Guys,

I am going to 3M tomorrow to get my car detailed. Vehicle is 18 months old pearl white Safari. Because it stands in sun all day, it seems like its loosing it sheen.

My question is, what should i ask them to do? I jjust want my car to shine like new . They must be having multiple pacakages, i don't want to spend anything extra, if problem can be sorted with foam wash.

This is my first time going to any detailing shop hence the question. Hope you guys understand what i want to ask

-Ijeet

Last edited by ijeet : 11th October 2012 at 22:16.
Old 11th October 2012, 22:47   #6388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you to buy in india only.

Cheap ones running of car sockets are available here on ebayfor as low as 1000. Bosch will cost you close to 4000/-
Old 11th October 2012, 22:53   #6389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I would suggest you to buy in india only.

Cheap ones running of car sockets are available here on ebayfor as low as 1000. Bosch will cost you close to 4000/-
If i am getting a bosch Dual action polisher for 4k then i am more than happy.

Which model is available for 4k?
Old 11th October 2012, 23:06   #6390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If i am getting a bosch Dual action polisher for 4k then i am more than happy.

Which model is available for 4k?
oops i meant Black and deckker for 3K. Hope the attached one helps

http://www.machpowertools.com/Produc...id-842965.aspx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks