Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 13:45   #6271
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

One of my friend is traveling back to India from US next month and I have a plan to get a 32oz pack of ONR and some other detailing tools through him. Now, he being a novice in auto accessories does not know which store to pick up these things from. He is suggesting me to order online and give his Chicago office address as shipping address. please suggest some good online store options for me to get things like ONR, some MF towels, megs products etc. What I have observed is that even local shipping cost works up quite a lot! (eg, autogeek 32oz ONR price is 16$ and shipping 8$). Would be obliged if some one could give suggestions for stores offering free/reduced rate local shipping.
Old 17th September 2012, 14:23   #6272
BHPian

Guys,
Anyone from kerala here . How you guys go with the detailing the car? Two weeks back I had to drive to a marriage function to kottayam and I ended up the next 2 days cleaning up the car.
Quarter of the armorall car wash is gone and finally i fed up. Muck and tar were clinching to the door sides as if they have some eternal love and no one can seperate them.
I had car trutle waxed and collinited 4 months back ( car used sparingly after that).
Can you guys suggest some methods so that these dirt dont get stick on. any polish or sealent will help ?
Old 17th September 2012, 22:27   #6273

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Shashank: What you have posted is the best deal. Its 199rs per pad it seems.
Guys, it seems a pack of 4 costs Rs 199 as given on Meguiar's India website.http://www.meguiars.co.in/product/514
Old 18th September 2012, 02:17   #6274
BHPian

hi..I am a newbie here..can the experts explain what exactly is 'çlaying' and what is the procedure to do it? Also what are its advantages?

I use car shampoo followed by wax. Isnt it the correct thing?
Old 18th September 2012, 10:33   #6275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
One of my friend is traveling back to India from US next month and I have a plan to get a 32oz pack of ONR and some other detailing tools through him. Now, he being a novice in auto accessories does not know which store to pick up these things from. He is suggesting me to order online and give his Chicago office address as shipping address. please suggest some good online store options for me to get things like ONR, some MF towels, megs products etc. What I have observed is that even local shipping cost works up quite a lot! (eg, autogeek 32oz ONR price is 16$ and shipping 8$). Would be obliged if some one could give suggestions for stores offering free/reduced rate local shipping.
Will they allow him to carry liquid of that volume? I hear US guys are pretty strict. Just curious to know.
Some liquids (those in pressurized cans) are not allowed, as I understand.
Old 18th September 2012, 10:46   #6276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If you order directly through Autogeek and use the code "AMAZON10" at checkout , you get a flat 10% off on your final bill amount. And if your bill is above 100$, autogeek ships free.

Apart from ONR, let us know what kind of products you want.And your budget. So that we can guide you with the best products that fit your budget and your requirement levels.

@S_U_N - 32 oz is 1 litre. And 1 litre bottles are no problem at all
Old 18th September 2012, 10:58   #6277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of my friend is traveling back to India from US next month and I have a plan to get a 32oz pack of ONR and some other detailing tools through him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Will they allow him to carry liquid of that volume? I hear US guys are pretty strict. Just curious to know.
AS S U N said, carrying pressurized liquids from US might be risky affair, albeit in a worse case scenario. After all, most of these will be available in India as they are imported, like Armorall.
Instead go for specific detailing tools which is a hard find here. Remember here to keep off heavy/large dimension items, since that will be inconvenient to carry as there are luggage restrictions.

Regarding shipping cost, the ideal way for you to shop would be to, find the product of your choice, copy that product URL and send it to your friend in US to buy.
The reason being, since your friend is at US, he already might be having membership/ credit ratings/schemes wherein shipping would be free after a certain amount.
Old 18th September 2012, 12:21   #6278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
hi..I am a newbie here..can the experts explain what exactly is 'çlaying' and what is the procedure to do it? Also what are its advantages?

I use car shampoo followed by wax. Isnt it the correct thing?

The car metal is coated with primer, color coat and finally a clear coat. Surface contamination gets bonded in the clear coat which is difficult to remove by merely washing. Pre-wax cleaners also may not be able to exfoliate large particles. In this case, you have two choices: use a polishing compound, which removes a lot of paint material, or use a clay bar. A clay bar isn't a polish or a compound, it is a surface preparation bar that smoothens the paint and exfoliates contaminants.

However claying should be the third step. Post your car wash with a car shampoo you should lubricate the surface to work with the clay bar. Various alternatives are available in the market, though ONR (Optimum No Rinse) or Meguiars Quick Detailer are the most common. Once lubricated simply make a patty of the clay and glide it over the car surface and you will see contaminants getting bonded on the clay surface.

Claying should be followed by waxing & sealant to complete the detailing.

There is lots of guides available on the forum and helpful steps posted by experts here. Hunt and you shall find.
Old 18th September 2012, 12:28   #6279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
No idea about such a restriction, but I guess 1 litre (32oz) in a non pressurized container should not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If you order directly through Autogeek and use the code "AMAZON10" at checkout , you get a flat 10% off on your final bill amount. And if your bill is above 100$, autogeek ships free.

Apart from ONR, let us know what kind of products you want.And your budget. So that we can guide you with the best products that fit your budget and your requirement levels.
Thanks for this info! I am planing to get 32Oz bottle of ONR, 1 pint Collinite 845, and 1 pack Meg swirlX and 1 Megs water magnet drying towel/cobra ww guzzler drying towel
Links from autogeek given below.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
http://www.amazon.com/32oz-Optimum-R...timum+no+rinse,
http://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Liqu...ef=lh_di_t_dup
http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-in...r-wax-845.html
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-swirl-remover.html
http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-waffle-weave.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
AS S U N said, carrying pressurized liquids from US might be risky affair, albeit in a worse case scenario. After all, most of these will be available in India as they are imported, like Armorall.
Instead go for specific detailing tools which is a hard find here. Remember here to keep off heavy/large dimension items, since that will be inconvenient to carry as there are luggage restrictions.

Regarding shipping cost, the ideal way for you to shop would be to, find the product of your choice, copy that product URL and send it to your friend in US to buy.
The reason being, since your friend is at US, he already might be having membership/ credit ratings/schemes wherein shipping would be free after a certain amount.
I chose these four keeping in mind these are not easy to get here and price is comparatively much cheaper in US. yes, inconvenience factor is one thing, but he has agreed to carry this much if not anything more

One more important thing which I wanted to know is whether these products are available in Mexico. My friend actually works in Mexico (Lázaro Cárdenas), he does keep traveling to his headoffice in Chicago twice or thrice a month. When he fly s to India in November last week, he would be boarding from Mexico and not USA.
Old 22nd September 2012, 16:40   #6280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Definitely. Seeing how hard it is to get good clay bars in India i would definitely suggest you go for it and post your experience here.

I have tested it and it works wonders !!!! it tested the treated panels after that "OEM CLAY" with meguiars clay and megs one was clean. here is the pic for reference !!!

Any One Wants To Try ?????
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120922-16.15.31.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2012, 16:56   #6281
Senior - BHPian

Purchased Meguiars Ultimate Compound(UC) from Sanjay last week. Quick ship. If anyone wants it, do it quick since very less stock is left of UC. They needed to look into warehouse to find one for me.

Updates :
  • Sanjay at BBImpex would soon be getting shipment for Meguiars clay bar in this months end, so if anyone wants to pre-book let him know.
  • Eco Car Care would be getting 32 oz ONR shipment soon but dates not confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Any One Wants To Try ?????
Whats the cost of it and manufacturer? Would surely like to give it a try if it works better than Meguiars and doesn't stick to surface and leave a spot on the surface. Let me know.
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:11   #6282
BHPian

^^ Thats a OEM one i got , manufacturer is not known but was told that it is the best of the lot and cost is low due to heavy bulk purchase and supply to leaders such as BMW , Jaguar , Audi , Hyundai , LR etc.

can offer you a try out of small sample on a note that you have to submit a test report of the same.

Do you agree ????

will let you know the shipping cost which will not be much as it weights around 20 grams !!!

What Say ???
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:32   #6283
BHPian

I'm planning to get a DA polisher from states so need to clarify few things...

1.Which one is better PC7424XP or Meguiar's v110v2 DA polisher?(don't worry about the voltage)

2.And can this 3" backing plate be fitted to any of above DA polisher?

3.Do we need to buy backing plate separately for this PC7424XP polisher? I have shortlisted Gray,red,gold and coarse green each and two white pads.

4.Which of these 6 pads will be good for 6month old oceanic blue Linea Emotion car with some minor scratches and few swirls?

Guys need help ASAP as the person who is going to bring it is coming next month.Anything 'exotic' I need,do let me know.

@sandsun7: I'm also searching for some stuff and I have found that autogeek and amazon are good sites though amazon is somewhat cheaper.e.g.Meguiar's DA is $136 and 159 at amazon and autogeek res'ly. Few items on amazon are shipped free under super saver shipping.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 23rd September 2012 at 10:45.
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:37   #6284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
I'm planning to get a DA polisher from states so need to clarify few things...

1.Which one is better PC7424XP or Meguiar's v110v2 DA polisher?(don't worry about the voltage)
I'd say get the Griots DA if your on a tight budget, comes with a lifetime warranty. Why not look at a Flex if budget permits and voltage isn't an issue ?

Quote:
3.Do we need to buy backing plate separately for this PC7424XP polisher? I have shortlisted Gray,red,gold and coarse green each and two white pads.
AFAIK, if you buy the Porter cable one, you'll have to buy a backing plate. Griots,Flex,Megs all come with backing plates. Only if you need a put in a smaller pad(4"), you'll need to buy a separate backing plate for it.

Quote:
4.Which of these 6 pads will be good for 6month old oceanic blue Linea Emotion car with some minor scratches and few swirls?
I'd say buy this from autogeek, they have lakecountry pads which are $60 for 6 pads i guess.
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:59   #6285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I'd say buy this from autogeek, they have lakecountry pads which are $60 for 6 pads i guess.
Oh...I forgot to post the link of these LC CCS pads. or these LC Kompressor pad are better? Price for both 6-pack is same about $49.Will buy from autogeek only.

Budget is neither tight (for Griot) or high enough for Flex DA polisher.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks