Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 15:07   #6121
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

A pesky neighbourhood kid has taken a key and tried art work on my i10's rear right door. I want to get my hands around that kid's throat.
Before that, is there anything i can do to get rid of that art work? Any solution/wax/etc?
Old 17th August 2012, 15:16   #6122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
A pesky neighbourhood kid has taken a key and tried art work on my i10's rear right door. I want to get my hands around that kid's throat.
Before that, is there anything i can do to get rid of that art work? Any solution/wax/etc?
You can use a good rubbing compound if the scratches are'nt deep.Try 3m's fineeseeIT. It is the best rubbing compound that I have ever used and works like charm. Run thru your nails to check how deep the scratch is, if it isn’t that deep go ahead with fineeseeIT, else am afraid you need to get the door repainted.
Old 17th August 2012, 15:24   #6123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
You can use a good rubbing compound if the scratches are'nt deep...
Rubbing compound has abrasives in it, like liquid sandpaper? wont it take away the finish?
Old 17th August 2012, 15:29   #6124
BHPian

FineeseeIT is a mild rubbing compound. It will reduce the intensity of the scratch. Give it a shot if the scratch isnt that deep.
Old 17th August 2012, 16:12   #6125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Yesterday, I have been to eco carecare in Rajajinagar and they had sold all 32 oz ONRs. So had to take only 8 oz ONR. Now they have about 20 pcs left.
Where in rajajinagar is their office ? If you can put up the address, it'll be of great help. Looked online,but couldn't find it
Old 17th August 2012, 19:30   #6126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
I had already ordered my 32 oz bottle. It has been shipped and I would get it by next week
They had 2 bottles of 32oz. You and me bought these :-) I already received mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
As per manufacturer recommendation 1oz mixed with 2 gallons. Correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 17th August 2012 at 19:40.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 06:36   #6127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
For basic maintenance get 1) Jopasu Car Duster (search in Google), 2) Optimum No Rinse (from EcoCarCare, vicky.in) and 3)some good quality MFs (from BBImpex/Jopasu).

Wipe the dust clean everyday with Jopasu duster.
Alternate day use ONR Detailer (ONR mixed in 1:16 ratio is a spray bottle) and wipe dry with MF. This is remove bird droppings, minimal tar and road grime etc.
Wash using ONR (1 oz mixed with 1 gallon of water)

You can play around with the intervals to use these as per your convenience and the depends on the usage, amount of dust accumulated. Remember, if the car is very soiled, you have to use regular shampoo to clean. Use the 2 bucket method to wash when using a shampoo to reduce chances of swirls and let go of that car cleaner
hyper-VTEC, this is exactly what i had been looking for. Picked up the Jupasu duster and MF from nearby Reliance Autozone - the product is amazing. It should be the first thing one buys post car purchase..! I was crazy getting the car rubbed by a wet/damp cloth just to get the dust off it...

A couple of follow-on questions though:
- The ONR product - what is it exactly? Is it a wax, or a polish?
- You do not recommend waxing - does ONR take care of that need?
- So i dust out the dust with the duster, spray the ONR (1:16 dilution) for tough dirt alternate day. When you say wash using ONR (1 oz::1 gallon), what exactly do you mean? Does it mea i use that mixture to wet mop the whole car using MF alternate day?
- 2 bucket method - i'l search around to figure out what it means .. :-)

Thanks a ton for your reply.. Meanwhile, am hawking online for this ONR product.

Regards,
Irwin
Old 18th August 2012, 08:33   #6128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
- The ONR product - what is it exactly? Is it a wax, or a polish?
ONR = Optimum No Rinse
ONR is actually magic, muggles call it ONR. It is neither a polish or a wax. Its a no rinse washing solution.

Quote:
- You do not recommend waxing - does ONR take care of that need?
I didn't because you mentioned about basic maintenance.

Quote:
- So i dust out the dust with the duster, spray the ONR (1:16 dilution) for tough dirt alternate day. When you say wash using ONR (1 oz::1 gallon), what exactly do you mean? Does it mea i use that mixture to wet mop the whole car using MF alternate day?
I dust my car twice everyday and detail using ONR detailer every alternate day, but that is me. Suit yourself on the gap. ONR Detailer in spray bottle (1:16 mix) is not for tough dirt. It would remove daily dirt layer and minimal to mid level grime. If the grime and dust is more, or you are unable to dust/detail everyday, use ONR (1oz: 2 gallon water) to wash the car using a MF like you would normally wash your car using shampoo. The only difference being in case of ONR you need not rinse the car after mopping with MF. For more dirt, mud splashes and tar you have to use shampoo.

Quote:
- 2 bucket method - i'l search around to figure out what it means. :-)

Quote:
Meanwhile, am hawking online for this ONR product.
Email EcoCarCare or go to Vicky.in and search for Optimum to buy ONR online.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 12:33   #6129
BHPian

Guys,

Are there multiple types in Jopasu car dusters? I saw two with different fiber colors ar Reliance Autozone here, one was creamish color and other was grayish.

I am confused as which one to buy? Are both same with only color difference or there is something deep here also?

-Ijeet
Old 18th August 2012, 13:05   #6130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet
Guys,

Are there multiple types in Jopasu car dusters? I saw two with different fiber colors ar Reliance Autozone here, one was creamish color and other was grayish.

I am confused as which one to buy? Are both same with only color difference or there is something deep here also?

-Ijeet
Jopasu started shipping dusters with creamish fibres quite some time back. The grey ones were in circulation before that. The company claims creamish ones to be improved fibres.

I've used both and frankly didn't find much difference. Just be careful not to wash the duster (unlike the advise given on the cover), else it'll simply turn into a broom.

Last edited by bloodred : 18th August 2012 at 13:06.
Old 18th August 2012, 14:48   #6131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys,

Would a car dashboard polish like STP Sun of a Gun be useful in protecting scooter plastics from fading? I have a white scooter, and the contrast makes it look good. Would look really bad if the plastics start fading and losing their shine, as I see in most cases?

Or please suggest me whatever is best - considering the plastics on a scooter are subjected to harsh conditions (Chennai heat and dust!)
For the black platics parts of my car, I am finding ONR to be good to maintain the black color. Perhaps this may work on the black plastics on scooter and motorbikes?
Old 18th August 2012, 15:44   #6132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Just be careful not to wash the duster (unlike the advise given on the cover), else it'll simply turn into a broom.
I washed my Jopasu with cold water and liquid soap (Genteel) twice over the year and don't see much of a difference in lifting power. Maybe 10-15% less.

What method do you use to clean the duster?
Old 18th August 2012, 17:54   #6133
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I was going through this thread for some time and like all car freaks i also wanted my car to be shiny all time. Me an My friend did lot of research and sourced all the required products one by one from US and UK (Thanks to all our friends and relatives abroad). We got the products in a good deal from Amazon, CG website, Ebay, detailed image and Autozone. I have a White Fiesta and Golden silver Alto, my friend have a Black laura. My cars are comparatively new and better taken care so we decided to start with Laura with the following inventory.

1. Lake country 6" Pads ( Wool, Orange, white and Blue)
2. Meguire"s ultracut 95
3. Menzerna Powerfinish
4. Menzerna Superfinish
5. Chemical Guys M- seal
6. Chemical Guys wet mirror finish
7. CG Back to black
8.CG citrus degreaser
9. Tarex Tarminator
10.3m Masking tapes of different sizes

along with locally bought Cyclo tyre dressing foam, Sonax cockpit polish and a bottle of Colin glass cleaner. Sourced a rotary polisher locally for Rs.3700/-.

The Laura was full of swirl marks and minor scratches especially on bonnet front fenders and front doors. Step by step process follows
1. Removed all tar spots, tree saps and bird drops residue with Tarminator and Clay bar( already had) and washed with sonax car wash and CG citrus degreaser ( alloy wheels) .
2 We did some wet sanding with 3m 1500 grit on medium scratches after masking all beading and lights.
3. Removed large Swirls and sanding marks with Meguire’s ultracut 95 on Purple wool pad. by the end of this step itself we became confident on using Rotary polisher.

4. Polished the entire car with Menzerna Powerfinish on Orange pads. Man it’s a heavy task! You need to be really patient for getting use to the rotary ! but the results were soothing .

5. Polished again with Menzerna superfinish on Blue pad with out any pressure. But we were really tired for the day! But decided to finish the next step also
6. Applied a coat of CG M- seal by hand and waited for 20- to 30 mts. ( Read time for a beer!) and then rubbed it off with white microfiber cloth. Man… the its unbelievable… we have a new car in front of us!
7. Next day after one more coat of M- seal applied 2 coats of Wet mirror finish.

8. Removed all masking and cleaned all fiber beading with CG Back to black.
9. Cleaned the interior with a vacuum cleaner and 1” general purpose painting brush.
10. Dressed the dash board, door pads and other fiber parts with sonax cockpit polish

Finally a Saturday and Sunday used very productively and satisfactorily!!. Pictures says it all..
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img2012081300073.jpg

Money shot!
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00052.jpg

No swirls !
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img2012081300074.jpg
Next time step by step photos will follow.

Did not use any wax so far. Will wait for the monsoon to subside. I am not happy with the “so called” Wet mirror finish of CG. Let me see the effects of it on a white surface also for a final verdict on it.

Next weakend , its time for my Diamond white Fiesta to get a spa treatment! Man I am going to have heavy biceps !!

Chears!
toms_2191 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 18:10   #6134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I didn't because you mentioned about basic maintenance.
Once again, a perfect answer, thank you hyper-VTEC....

For completeness, can you also help me with inputs on regular maintenance ex. waxing, etc....?
Old 18th August 2012, 19:57   #6135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
ONR = Optimum No Rinse
ONR is actually magic, muggles call it ONR. It is neither a polish or a wax. Its a no rinse washing solution.
I had been to Bellary-Toranagallu-Jindal City, 350kms drive from Bangalore. The car had picked lot of dust, road grim, dead insects. Evening just dusted with Jopasu and sprayed ONR and wiped with MF cloth. Then sprayed Meguiars quick detailer. All took just 15 minutes. The result is amazing.
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks