Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 14:35   #6106
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed in this thread, but after removing sunfilms from my car, I am looking at removing the glue residue that is left behind. It seems to be really rigid. Any suggestions?
Here is what you can use.

I have tried and tested alcohol my self and it works the best but other things you can use are nail polish remover, wd-40 or a deodrant.

Use alcohol by putting some on a cloth and rubbing it against the glue residue, a little bit of alcohol will do the job, if you do not want to use alcohol try deodorant (directly spray and rub) or a nail-polish remover.

Last edited by Y@SH : 14th August 2012 at 14:39.
Old 14th August 2012, 15:29   #6107
Senior - BHPian

Received pricing for ONR from Eco Car Care.

1)Optimum No-Rinse 8oz- Rs 600/-
2)Optimum No-Rinse 32oz- Rs 1500/-
3)Optimum No-Rinse 128oz- Rs 3800/-

Pricing is including shipping and they would be putting it up on their eBay store from where we can purchase shortly.

Note : I'm not associated with Eco Car Care in anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Likewise - I too got a SMS from vicky.in that ONR is available. 32 oz is around 1600 rs. I get Megs final inspection at 2400 rs for 3.6L. Is ONR still VFM? how does it compare against FI?
After reading your post I went through Meguiars Final Inspection(FI) retailing at Rs. 2336 for 128 oz bottle. I would still say ONR is value for money, how?

FI is a quick detailer and you cannot dilute it to any ratio. So a 128 oz bottle remains constant.

ONR on the other hand considering a 128 oz at Rs. 3800 can be diluted to 1:16(ONR:Water) ratio for Quick Detailer(QD).

So that means 128 oz now becomes 128 X 16 = 2048 oz of QD.

So price wise Final Inspection in QD form for 2048 oz would retail at 2336 X 16 = Rs. 37376.

So ONR QD = Rs. 3800 and FI QD = Rs. 37376.

Hence proofed ONR is still VFM.
Old 14th August 2012, 15:42   #6108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
After reading your post I went through Meguiars Final Inspection(FI) retailing at Rs. 2336 for 128 oz bottle. I would still say ONR is value for money, how?

FI is a quick detailer and you cannot dilute it to any ratio. So a 128 oz bottle remains constant.

ONR on the other hand considering a 128 oz at Rs. 3800 can be diluted to 1:16(ONR:Water) ratio for Quick Detailer(QD).

So that means 128 oz now becomes 128 X 16 = 2048 oz of QD.

So price wise Final Inspection in QD form for 2048 oz would retail at 2336 X 16 = Rs. 37376.

So ONR QD = Rs. 3800 and FI QD = Rs. 37376.

Hence proofed ONR is still VFM.
FI can be diluted in the ratio 1:8. Ive talked to people from megs who have confirmed that they use this solution as QD. Not sure how it compares in real world application. Need to use it.
Old 14th August 2012, 16:19   #6109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
FI can be diluted in the ratio 1:8. Ive talked to people from megs who have confirmed that they use this solution as QD. Not sure how it compares in real world application. Need to use it.
1:8 dilution for Final Inspection?

I read on Autogeek but nowhere is says it can be diluted, like ONR. Can you provide the source for 1:8 dilution.
Old 14th August 2012, 18:09   #6110
BHPian

yes I checked with machpowertools and they confirmed its not DA polisher.Also few days ago while going through different pages of this huge thread I read someone mentioned Bosch GEX series polisher as his choice and specs of this polisher on machpowertools suggesting its a DA polisher so got carried away.

Is there any DA polisher available under 8K? BoschGPO12CE and Dewalt DW849 cost more than 10k and I don't want to spend that much for something I will need only 2-3times every year.How about Skill 9070, retails just over 5K, is it DA polisher?

Don't you think UC will be too aggressive for a car which doesn't have that many scratches?
Also I would be using wax as gloss/shine is not my no.1 priority but protection from sun dust and scratches will be.My car is always under sun for 6-7 hrs daily and then under semi covered parking for rest of the day accumulating dust.

Went through your provided links el lobo, these were quite informative.I was going to buy mother's clay had I not gone through your links.

Now can someone guide me the step wise procedure?
Old 14th August 2012, 19:38   #6111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Also few days ago while going through different pages of this huge thread I read someone mentioned Bosch GEX series polisher as his choice and specs of this polisher on machpowertools suggesting its a DA polisher so got carried away.
Always have second opinion from bhpians and you surely did be benefited.

Quote:
Is there any DA polisher available under 8K?

I don't want to spend that much for something I will need only 2-3times every year.How about Skill 9070, retails just over 5K, is it DA polisher?
A DA under 8K is not possible until you have a friend from foreign who could get you one. Meguiars DA G220V2 at Rs. 14K is the cheapest available.

Skill 9070 is not a DA, just orbital polisher.

Quote:
Don't you think UC will be too aggressive for a car which doesn't have that many scratches?
No. Would be much easier to work with than SwirlX & ScratchX. Less number of overlaps needed than the former.

Quote:
Also I would be using wax as gloss/shine is not my no.1 priority but protection from sun dust and scratches will be.My car is always under sun for 6-7 hrs daily and then under semi covered parking for rest of the day accumulating dust.

Now can someone guide me the step wise procedure?
Paint sealant would work the best for you. Blackfire combo i.e. Wet Diamond paint sealant and Gloss Enhancing polish will do the perfect job for you. They can be purchased from BBImpex.

The second link I provided you gives you the complete procedure of car detailing. Further copy paste.

Link.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 19:51   #6112
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i've updated my ownership thread with my first detailing session. Do have a look and post your thoughts!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2871743

I have a few queries too:

1.How do i maintain the finish till the next detailing session ? I have ONR with me, will be buying a quick detailer soon.

2.Is it a good idea to apply the sealant alone after every wash ?

3.How often should complete detailing be done ? Once in 3 months or when very dirty whichever is earlier, is that good enough ?

here's a teaser pic:
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0132-bhp.jpg  

Last edited by shashank.nk : 14th August 2012 at 19:59.
shashank.nk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 00:31   #6113
BHPian

Just a peice of information to bhpians who need ONR. I received email from Nitin of eco car care. As per the attached stock and price list in the email, they have 48 nos 8oz, only 2 nos 32oz, 25 nos 128oz ONRs.
If any one need them urgently, they need to transfer money to their HDFC Bank. Else wait till they sell through ebay within a week.

Mods note: I am not related to eco car care, just passing info on a product that is scarcely available in Bangalore.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 06:27   #6114
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Would a car dashboard polish like STP Sun of a Gun be useful in protecting scooter plastics from fading? I have a white scooter, and the contrast makes it look good. Would look really bad if the plastics start fading and losing their shine, as I see in most cases?

Or please suggest me whatever is best - considering the plastics on a scooter are subjected to harsh conditions (Chennai heat and dust!)
Old 15th August 2012, 09:11   #6115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

1.How do i maintain the finish till the next detailing session ? I have ONR with m ?

:
1.How do i maintain the finish till the next detailing session ? I have ONR with me, will be buying a quick detailer soon.

You can use ONR regularly, best VFM

Once a month application of sealant should be more than enough for a daily drive car

3.How often should complete detailing be done ? Once in 3 months or when very dirty whichever is earlier, is that good enough ?

Once in 3 months is good, paint cleanup with claying , light polish & sealant application.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 13:21   #6116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

You can use ONR regularly, best VFM

Once a month application of sealant should be more than enough for a daily drive car

Once in 3 months is good, paint cleanup with claying , light polish & sealant application.

Thanks nirmal! When i clayed my car, there were a few contaminants which simply refused to come off the surface. A few on the bonnet and one on the hood. The one's on the bonnet look like paint chipping, one on the hood looks more like a tar spot and is surrounded by two white spots.

Any idea how to get rid of this or did I make some mistake when claying ?
Old 16th August 2012, 17:41   #6117
BHPian

Wow... This is an amazingly extensive thread....!

However, seems like i will need to spend ages to figure out the info i need. Can someone help me with my basic query - i have a 3 month old Jetta in Delhi which i want to take care of regularly in the dirt and grime of Delhi. I can already see some light scratches - some of which might be even cuz of me using a regular duster (slightly moist) to clean the car every morning...

Can someone advise me with basic care (products, method, frequency) with products which might be easily available around in Delhi/NCR?

Apologies if i asked something which is answered somewhere else....

Thanks so much.

Regards,
Irwin
Old 17th August 2012, 14:02   #6118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
Can someone advise me with basic care (products, method, frequency) with products which might be easily available around in Delhi/NCR?
For basic maintenance get 1) Jopasu Car Duster (search in Google), 2) Optimum No Rinse (from EcoCarCare, vicky.in) and 3)some good quality MFs (from BBImpex/Jopasu).

Wipe the dust clean everyday with Jopasu duster.
Alternate day use ONR Detailer (ONR mixed in 1:16 ratio is a spray bottle) and wipe dry with MF. This is remove bird droppings, minimal tar and road grime etc.
Wash using ONR (1 oz mixed with 1 gallon of water)

You can play around with the intervals to use these as per your convenience and the depends on the usage, amount of dust accumulated. Remember, if the car is very soiled, you have to use regular shampoo to clean. Use the 2 bucket method to wash when using a shampoo to reduce chances of swirls and let go of that car cleaner

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 17th August 2012 at 14:03.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 14:49   #6119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC

For basic maintenance get 1) Jopasu Car Duster (search in Google), 2) Optimum No Rinse (from EcoCarCare, vicky.in)
Yesterday, I have been to eco carecare in Rajajinagar and they had sold all 32 oz ONRs. So had to take only 8 oz ONR. Now they have about 20 pcs left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
Wash using ONR (1 oz mixed with 1 gallon of water)
As per manufacturer recommendation 1oz mixed with 2 gallons. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 17th August 2012, 14:53   #6120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Yesterday, I have been to eco carecare in Rajajinagar and they had sold all 32 oz ONRs. So had to take only 8 oz ONR. Now they have about 20 pcs left.

As per manufacturer recommendation 1oz mixed with 2 gallons. Correct me if I am wrong.
I had already ordered my 32 oz bottle. It has been shipped and I would get it by next week
MutantX is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks