Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2012, 11:39   #6031
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hello Guys,
Which polish / coating would you recommend using before the rains are just about to arrive?
I think my 9 months old BNW Punto has lost its wet like shine, & i am worried a bit that the color condition may get worse after the rains.

Cheers.
Old 28th July 2012, 12:06   #6032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki

How is the megs tire foam? Does it give a glossy or Matt finish?? How long does it last?
Megs hot shine tire foam leaves a glossy black finish!
Old 28th July 2012, 12:17   #6033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How is the megs tire foam? Does it give a glossy or Matt finish?? How long does it last?
it gives a glossy finish, which i personally don't like. Too much bling. I wipe it with a moist cloth when it is almost dry to reduce the glossy'ness. It lasts 3-4 washes. I use Amway shampoo with a light brush to clean tyres. Trying to find the ultimate matt finish tyre dresser yet :-(
Old 28th July 2012, 12:34   #6034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC

it gives a glossy finish, which i personally don't like. Too much bling. I wipe it with a moist cloth when it is almost dry to reduce the glossy'ness. It lasts 3-4 washes. I use Amway shampoo with a light brush to clean tyres. Trying to find the ultimate matt finish tyre dresser yet :-(
If you want Matt finish then try cyclo tyre foam. Available at most shell pumps for 300 bucks. I currently use formula 1 black gold which also leaves a very glossy finish
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 13:23   #6035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
@ Notorious - STP is looked down upon in the US so please share if the product is good for all surfaces. It certainly looks promising. I was thinking a quick Vaccum and this foam should do it. The floor mats can be washed in conventional manner. I think Sonax has an Interior Cleaning Spray while Meguiar's has some kind of Interior Detailing Wipes.

On an unrelated note, I just paid for a Dupont Scratch Remover Stick on ebay. It is a clear coat with self tip.
I was never keen on using rubbing compound on minor scratches as they thin the clear coat and don't offer any protection to the scratch. This Dupont product on the other hand offers excellent protection to the scratch from the elements.
It won't REMOVE or COVER the scratch as such though.
Dupont-Pro-Fusion Color Car Scratch Repair Stick Touch Up Pen Any Color all | eBay

I will post a review with pictures once i get my hands on it. I have also written to com Paint to introduce the Oceanic Blue shade for Fiat.
I am hoping that quoting my post is allowed. Did anybody try the STP product? Also, are there any locally available scratch covering clear coat pens in India?
Old 28th July 2012, 18:18   #6036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I agree. I was just standing and appreciating the result. Today being Lakshmi puja lot of gentlemen in our apartment were around when i was oggling at the car. They must have thought i am nuts

I used a Point and Shoot. I will take out my DSLR tomorrow and try to take better pics. My DSLR has been gathering dust and now is a good option to take it out.

I used Klasse AIO in the alloys and only Megs Hot Tire Foam in the tyres.
I also get a lot of weird stares from neighbors whenever i'm cleaning/detailing the car. All of them find it strange that i clean for such a long time with "specialized tools"

Its something we've to get used to i guess, will be interesting to see how they'll react if they see me working with a DA.

How much of the mother's clay bar do you use per detailing session ? I've an 80gm bar, not sure how much my car will need
Old 28th July 2012, 18:43   #6037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
How much of the mother's clay bar do you use per detailing session ? I've an 80gm bar, not sure how much my car will need
This was my first "true" detailing session. Earlier i used to just wash and wax at regular intervals.

I used clay first time. I don't remember the weight, but we normally get 2 bars of Mothers with the Clay Bar system. I used half of one bar. This means you can use the bars for 4 sessions. However, i believe this would depend on the amount of residue in you car body and the size of the car.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 20:53   #6038
BHPian

Where did you buy the clay bars from? I have a 3M/Meguiar's here and I also have ONR at home. can I make a clay bar out of ONR?
Old 28th July 2012, 21:06   #6039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Where did you buy the clay bars from? I have a 3M/Meguiar's here and I also have ONR at home. can I make a clay bar out of ONR?
I bought my Mothers Clay Bar system (2 bars + Mothers Showtime Instant Detailer) from Auto-Mall. But now they are out of business.

I think you meant if you can make a Quick Detailer (QD) from ONR. You can do this by mixing 1:16 of ONR:Water. However, for use with Clay as a lubricant you can use 1:64. You can buy clay bar from BBImpex.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 28th July 2012 at 21:12.
Old 28th July 2012, 23:17   #6040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was my first "true" detailing session. Earlier i used to just wash and wax at regular intervals.

I used clay first time. I don't remember the weight, but we normally get 2 bars of Mothers with the Clay Bar system. I used half of one bar. This means you can use the bars for 4 sessions. However, i believe this would depend on the amount of residue in you car body and the size of the car.
When i detail my car in a few days from now, it'll be my first session as well. Like you, i used to wash+apply turtle wax before.

I searched the thread and it looks like half a bar should do for the entire car, my car was detailed by UD in Feb and i've been washing it ever since, not too much dust i guess.
Old 29th July 2012, 13:59   #6041
BHPian

After 11 hours of sweat and determination (spread across 4 days), i have finally completed detailing my 5.7 years Swift and the results are simply awesome. Worth every minute of the time spent.

Products Used:
Amway Car Wash
Mothers Detailing Clay + Mothers Showtime Detailing Spray
Meguiars ScratchX 2.0
Klasse All-In-One Acrylic Polish (KAIO)
Klasse Sealant Glaze (KSG)
Collinite 845 Insulator Wax (845)
Optimum No Rinse Quick Detailer (1:64) (QD)
Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Foam
Applicator Pads (Foam + MF)
3M and generic MF towels (all supplied with the Klasse kit purchased from Amazon US)

Started with washing the car with Amway Car wash and ensured that most body parts and trims are clean and oil/grit free.

Followed by claying with mothers clay using QD and there were lot of embedded particles. It is advisable to wash the car a second time if there were lot of deposits, to ensure a glass like surface. Also re-do claying in the bonnet, front bumper and front fenders if your car is older. This is because these parts are most exposed to dirt, bugs, tar etc.

Post the exhaustive washing, i wiped the car cleanand dry. At this stage i used Meguiars ScratchX2.0. It is a very good product, but you need a DA to take the best out of it. With hand application it takes 20-25% of minor scratches and swirls. I am sure it would be effective upto 70-80% if used with a DA. Experts can comment.

Next step was using the Klasse AIO. It was a simple WOWO process and the results were amazing. This removes old wax deposits, oxidation and hides minor imperfections. Although it is non-abrasive, you can see the applicator pads getting dirty, proving that AIO is doing its job. One point to note is that you can use KAIO on plastic, trims. headlights, alloys and chrome as well.

Once the car is polished, time came to use KSG. It is not important but good to apply KSG and let it sit for 1 hour before you buff off. And it is best if you give 12 hours between 2 coats so that it can cure properly. I used 2 coats of KSG and the results were awesome.

Last, i topped it off with a coat of 845. Many enthusiats say that the top layer of not required. However, there are nut-cracks who even top up sealants with Wolfgang Fuzion or Pinnacle Souveran Caranuba for that warm deep shine. Its your choice.

Attaching a few snaps and a . By mistake i had the camera in the vertical position . If you are reading in a laptop tilt it 90 degrees, if you own a PC move your head from neck towards left to view it properly .

My car is 5.7 years old and had been abused quite a lot. For the first 2+ years i had to park in the open exposed to elements and there was a phase of 3 months when i was in US and a cleaner cleaned the car once a week. I have had car cleaners, but from last 1 year i dont have any. Anyone who buys a new car and maintains the car himself with these amazing products would be able to maintain shine for the entire life of the car. I wish i knew about these products from the time i bought my car. However, even after these abuses, these have been able to restore a good shine.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010357.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010359.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010360.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010361.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010362.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010363.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010364.jpg  

hyper-VTEC is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 14:11   #6042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
After 11 hours of sweat and determination (spread across 4 days), i have finally completed detailing my 5.7 years Swift and the results are simply awesome. Worth every minute of the time spent.
Great job ! The snaps does not make justice to your efforts. IMO the earlier pics in basement you had posted was better. If you would have taken in bright sun, there will be some more reflections.
Where can we get ONR and Collinite 915 in Bangalore ?
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 14:20   #6043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Great job ! The snaps does not make justice to your efforts. IMO the earlier pics in basement you had posted was better. If you would have taken in bright sun, there will be some more reflections.
Where can we get ONR and Collinite 915 in Bangalore ?
There was little to no sun peeping out today in Bangalore. I wanted to take the snaps in full sunshine, but weather gods didn't let that happen.

Currently all stock on ONR has dried up. EcoCarCare in Bangalore would stock ONR from August onwards. BbImpex has stock on ONR, but i feel it is quite expensive. You can get 915 from BBImpex as well. However, i would suggest you use 845 or 476. Fellow member el_lobo_6061 is not too happy with 915 because of its durability, although it gives good shine. I have never used 915.
Old 31st July 2012, 19:20   #6044
BHPian

Quote:
Both the bumpers seem to be re-painted as the colour is not matching with the fender!
Old 31st July 2012, 19:48   #6045
BHPian

Folks, One noob question. How many times a clay bar can be used and how do you make out it is time for a new clay bar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks