Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 18:09   #5911
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Fellow bhpians, I had last week did detailing which involved sealant & waxing on my black Vento and have written about it on my ownership thread. Car detailing like never before.

Do have a go through and let me know your thoughts.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 22:17   #5912
BHPian

great job. did u try claying the entire car? Also did u face any tough to remove spots like tar marks which stayed on after claying?
it is always a great idea to use clay bar on entire bonnet and fenders as they create the maximum visual impact. avoid lower end of doors and running boards while claying as the chances of grit entrapment on the clay bar is very high.
Old 14th June 2012, 13:51   #5913
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Professional Car Detailing - 3M Car Care (Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
Guys , I'm facing a small problem here. The water in my building is pretty Hard. "Hard-water" anybody!!??

Hence after the car is washed by the guy early in the morning, there are white hard-water stains all over the car. Now over a period of few months this has accumulated and has hence caused white patches all over especially on the roof.

This is becoming a huge huge eyesore for me and I can't bear it one bit!!!

I read on some websites that vinegar and lemon can actually break down the mineral deposits on the car left back by the hard-water.

So I tried washing the car with some vinegar and some lemon ( Now don't make a funny face, I know, just tried it here and there and it worked to an extent but I possibly cant rub the whole car with lemons )

Are there any detailing procedures or some sprays/solutions that I can use to counter this menace?

PS: I will need it in future also as the same kind of water will be used later as well.
Water left to dry, especially hard well or bore well water, will always leave stains on your car's paint. Over a period of time it will get permanent as it eats into the clear coat. Application of Vinegar and lime juice isn't very good for your paint either. They are both acidic in nature.

Therefore prevention is better than cure. The best way to avoid this is to make sure the chap who washes your car dries the car completely after every wash. Make sure he has plenty of clean and soft rags or better still some microfibre cloths to dry the car. He needs to use 2 sets - i.e. one for the bottom half at or near the level of the door jamb/running board/bumpers/wheels, and the other for the top half. That will lessen the chances of scratching the paint.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th June 2012 at 13:52.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 21:37   #5914
BHPian

Found a source for 3M Finesse IT (online)

BHP-ians please check this out:

Finesse it-Rubbing Compound

3M Finesse IT for 117/- Other 3M, WAXPOL and attractive stuff here.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 22:24   #5915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Fellow bhpians, I had last week did detailing which involved sealant & waxing on my black Vento and have written about it on my ownership thread. Car detailing like never before.

Thats really nice work there ! You have followed the correct process & explained it well in detail ! Its true that Swirl X wont work by hand, it will need a DA for sure. For a light polish its the best product to use on well maintained paint such as yours.

You can continue to apply Blackfire sealant followed by 915 once a month to keep the paint protected. Or top up with 915 only. Clay as required on need basis. You can keep one piece of clay exclusively for the lower parts of bumpers and doors as they will pick up the most tar.
Old 17th June 2012, 15:56   #5916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
great job. did u try claying the entire car? Also did u face any tough to remove spots like tar marks which stayed on after claying?
it is always a great idea to use clay bar on entire bonnet and fenders as they create the maximum visual impact. avoid lower end of doors and running boards while claying as the chances of grit entrapment on the clay bar is very high.
Well I did clay the whole car, even the bumpers front & back. I use half of the clay bar for the whole, but still there is some life left in clay bar after the whole car. To create a complete visual effect you did need to clay the whole car. And if you want superb visual effect you did need to keep the wheel wells clean & have the tyres with nice gloss on them. That's the prefect show car finish which we can achieve on our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Thats really nice work there ! You have followed the correct process & explained it well in detail ! Its true that Swirl X wont work by hand, it will need a DA for sure. For a light polish its the best product to use on well maintained paint such as yours.
Thanks, when the appreciation comes straight from UD, then I really think, I have done a good work indeed. Its been very long learning the correct procedure from scratch.

Indeed SwirlX requires a DA, to do justice to the product. Tried it by hands on an applicator pad, but the result weren't as I wanted them to be. The paint did get a slight shine but swirl removal was not that good. Looking at videos of SwirlX on Autogeek & Youtube using DA, meant one requires it, to use it completely.

The only thing remaining is a DA in my arsenal. Flex XC 3401, is the one I have my eyes on, if budget permits otherwise Megs V220 DA. Internationally Flex costs almost the same as Megs in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
You can continue to apply Blackfire sealant followed by 915 once a month to keep the paint protected. Or top up with 915 only. Clay as required on need basis. You can keep one piece of clay exclusively for the lower parts of bumpers and doors as they will pick up the most tar.
Thanks for the advice, will surely follow once a month top up with sealant BFWD followed by 915. Now, I have started to have separate clay bar for lower doors & rest of the car. Lower result in too much dirt on the clay bar.
Old 18th June 2012, 10:58   #5917
BHPian

MOTOMAX online store now active

The MOTOMAX online store seems to be active now. Good prices. e.g.2K rubbing compound less than INR45. Shampoo, 45INR and other goodies.

Exteriors Car Care Vehicle Care Motomax

There is even a light weight body filler available for DIY dents and deep scratch filling.

Thanks and good day!
lapis_lazuli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 16:41   #5918
Senior - BHPian

As important is the exterior detailing, so is the interior. I had done interior cleaning/detailing on my Vento and have written about it on my ownership thread. Link.

Old 22nd June 2012, 12:54   #5919
BHPian

Bringingbest.com has shipped their consignment of ONR and Duragloss No Rinse wash from the US. It is now sitting with Customs in Delhi and should be available to us next week. Time to start placing the orders.
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:16   #5920
Distinguished - BHPian

Do we get any adapters here to convert a drill into a polisher? I have followed this thread, but I somehow find buffing and finishing pads to be on the expensive side. Is there any cheaper alternative? Say for once in a while application of liquid wax and then buffing it off.
I am asking this because being quite thin, applying and buffing wax by hand will be a workout to me. Hence, I am thinking of converting my drill gun into something that can be used for application and removal of wax and for removing hairline scratches by using a compound.
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:08   #5921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Say for once in a while application of liquid wax and then buffing it off.
Most people do that by hand.
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:23   #5922
Senior - BHPian

^Agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Do we get any adapters here to convert a drill into a polisher? I have followed this thread, but I somehow find buffing and finishing pads to be on the expensive side. Is there any cheaper alternative? Say for once in a while application of liquid wax and then buffing it off.
I am asking this because being quite thin, applying and buffing wax by hand will be a workout to me. Hence, I am thinking of converting my drill gun into something that can be used for application and removal of wax and for removing hairline scratches by using a compound.
A drill is a bit too powerful for application of any wax!!(its basically a rotary polisher!!)
Its good for polishing headlights or alloys, but I wouldn't recommend working on the paint on body panels with it!

For wax application, you can get an orbital waxer, if you aren't looking to get expensive polishers(there's a b&d orbital waxer mentioned by a few members in the last few pages that you might be looking for)
Old 22nd June 2012, 20:04   #5923
Distinguished - BHPian

I would be investing in a DA but thats still sometime to go. Of course I am not looking forward to using the drill at max speed. A slow speed for applying wax and a tad higher for removing is what I intend to do(I can control the speed to a considerable extent). I had cone across this kind of an adapter in an online site, so was looking for such options.

@Thad sir, Having two cars to work upon is the problem. Yearly once we get them done by professionals. Once in a month, I intend to top them up with a non abrasive wax. As I have mentioned, I am not keen on doing it by hand as the energy levels go down once I start working and that also reduces the quality and interest. So please bear with such queries from my side
Old 22nd June 2012, 21:23   #5924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do we get any adapters here to convert a drill into a polisher? I have followed this thread, but I somehow find buffing and finishing pads to be on the expensive side.
You'd need to buy the same pads --- and it would be false economy to try to make a drill do the same job. One false move, or a slip of the finger on the speed trigger, and you could do some serious damage to your car.

I remember seeing my father do serious damage to a wall the first time he tried to use a sanding disk!
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:24   #5925
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats true sir. As I have said previously, tool handling is not a problem for me. Moreover, myself and family members would not mind screw ups. Have been a Diy'er from my young days and thats why I am thinking of such jugaad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks