Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2012, 02:21   #5776
BHPian

I just wanted to know a small thing. Is it better to wipe a car with a cloth or use a sponge? I heard that sponge is better as it doesnt scratch it by rubbing against the dust on the car?
Old 13th May 2012, 08:22   #5777
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
I just wanted to know a small thing. Is it better to wipe a car with a cloth or use a sponge? I heard that sponge is better as it doesnt scratch it by rubbing against the dust on the car?
Don't use a sponge, buy a good quality MicroFiber towel. Also try to avoid dry wiping a car. Only wipe with shampoo or water. For everyday dry wiping (removing thin layer of dust), buy a Jopasu car duster.
Old 13th May 2012, 15:09   #5778
BHPian

hi guys,
My i20 has a couple of deep-ish scratches on the interior (on the plastic material on the doors). Is there any way I can use something like clay to reduce them ?
Old 13th May 2012, 15:26   #5779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbyte View Post
hi guys,
My i20 has a couple of deep-ish scratches on the interior (on the plastic material on the doors). Is there any way I can use something like clay to reduce them ?
Certainly not. Claying is for removing bonded contaminants from paint surface. It wont do anything to reduce scratches even on painted surface. Even a scratch remover or rubbing compound wouldn't help either in removing/reducing scratches on the interior trim. They are mean't for external use only.

I did rather suggest you to get Meguiars Natural Shine Spray for Rs. 570 from 3M Car Care stores. Absolutely worth it product. It cleans the interior plastic surface and gives it a nice shine. It can even be used on rubber & ORVM black plastic. Give it a try.
Old 13th May 2012, 17:07   #5780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC

Don't use a sponge, buy a good quality MicroFiber towel. Also try to avoid dry wiping a car. Only wipe with shampoo or water. For everyday dry wiping (removing thin layer of dust), buy a Jopasu car duster.
Thanks for the reply. Yes i will buy that. Also can you tell me which are the best Car shampoos? And i have also heard about using MITTS for car cleaning doesnt put scratches? Are MITTS good enough?
Old 13th May 2012, 18:31   #5781
BHPian

Had been to METRO where I found this Black and Decker random orbital car polisher. It was not the cheap ones that you get on Ebay which runs on a cigarette lighter. So I decided to buy it as polishing the car by hand usually takes a lot of time. So came back home and today morning decided to test it. First I washed the car properly using my Bosch Aquatak and after that applied 1 coat of Collinite 845 and a final coat of Meguiars Tech wax 2.0. The job was so simplified that I finished applying all the layers of polish within 2 hours, which normally would take a whole morning. All the swirls are almost completely gone and the car feels like new.And the results are superb to say the least. Let the pictures do the talking.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-picture-002.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1660.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1664.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1668.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-miniimg_1662.jpg

Would definitely recommend people to buy this as it saves a lot of time and its easy to operate as well. BTW the cost of this was Rs 2699.
rohittunga is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 18:44   #5782
SAS
BHPian

@rohittunga excellent results. Nice to hear that Black & Decker are selling this here in India. It definitely has more power than those which run off the cigarette lighter. It is listed at 120W, which IMHO, should be sufficient. BTW why did you first use collinite and then the tech wax? Shouldn't it be the other way around since Collinite is generally a last stage product. Why dont you try it this way instead?
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 18:54   #5783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Shouldn't it be the other way around since Collinite is generally a last stage product. Why dont you try it this way instead?
I thing you are right. Collinite 845 is an insulator wax and probably should be applied last. May be I was too excited with the polisher that I started applying with the first wax bottle that I could lay my hands on .Anyways thanks for pointing that out.
Old 13th May 2012, 20:02   #5784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga
Had been to METRO where I found this Black and Decker random orbital car polisher. It was not the cheap ones that you get on Ebay which runs on a cigarette lighter. So I decided to buy it as polishing the car by hand usually takes a lot of time. So came back home and today morning decided to test it. First I washed the car properly using my Bosch Aquatak and after that applied 1 coat of Collinite 845 and a final coat of Meguiars Tech wax 2.0. The job was so simplified that I finished applying all the layers of polish within 2 hours, which normally would take a whole morning. All the swirls are almost completely gone and the car feels like new.And the results are superb to say the least. Let the pictures do the talking.

Would definitely recommend people to buy this as it saves a lot of time and its easy to operate as well. BTW the cost of this was Rs 2699.
Hi. Which metro did you buy it from?

Also where did you get the polishing and waxing pads?
Old 13th May 2012, 20:12   #5785
BHPian

I got it from METRO yeshwanthpur. The applicator and the buffing pad was provided in the box itself. Nothing extra needs to be bought.
Old 13th May 2012, 20:32   #5786
BHPian

Quote:
I got it from METRO yeshwanthpur. The applicator and the buffing pad was provided in the box itself. Nothing extra needs to be bought.
Thanks for sharing info, i saw this and was thinking of buying it in Metro Hyd, but wanted to check the reviews. I think i would go for it,

Do they give different pads? I didn't see them around

Last edited by raghu230506 : 13th May 2012 at 20:33.
Old 13th May 2012, 21:04   #5787
BHPian

Here are the things that were present in the box

The center one is the machine, to the left is the buffing pad and to the right is the applicator pad.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-minipicture-004.jpg

The polisher with buffing pad on.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-picture-003.jpg

The polisher with the applicator pad on.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-picture-005.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-picture-006.jpg
rohittunga is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 22:28   #5788
BHPian

Quote:

The center one is the machine, to the left is the buffing pad and to the right is the applicator pad.

The polisher with buffing pad on.

The polisher with the applicator pad on.
Anyone knows if this is available in Mumbai and at which place.
Old 13th May 2012, 23:04   #5789
Senior - BHPian

NXT tech wax is known for its swirl filling properties! I won't be surprised if swirls appear after nxt wears off!

Btw great looking paint there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686

Thanks for the reply. Yes i will buy that. Also can you tell me which are the best Car shampoos? And i have also heard about using MITTS for car cleaning doesnt put scratches? Are MITTS good enough?
Sponge means grout or sea sponge that have big holes and recesses to trap dust and encapsulated dirt while being soft and paint safe! Don't use the plain sponge! That's as bad as washing car with an applicator pad!

Lambwool and microfiber wash mitts are absolutely paint safe if used in conjunction with proper wash technique!

As for car shampoos, buy one with max cleaning power for when you have to wash stubborn dirt off! Never get those wash and wax products!(you're free to try them, but those never clean satisfactorily and the gloss and protection is minimal! You're better off with a dedicated shampoo and wax)

You'll have to scour your area for options!

And for maintenance and quick rinseless washes, get ONR(optimum no rinse) after using it, you'd never want to use the hose and shampoo wash!

Last edited by sohail99 : 13th May 2012 at 23:10.
Old 13th May 2012, 23:14   #5790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post

That's a very good detailing done on the Linea. Now you have given me great idea for my next shopping list, i.e. B&D Random Orbit Polisher and at Rs. 2.7K its worth it when Megs DA cost almost Rs. 15K.
Certainly working by hands is very tough and working with Collinite 915 that I have is even tougher. This polisher would definitely ease the work. Any idea how much those pads cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Anyone knows if this is available in Mumbai and at which place.
Let me know too, might as well purchase as working with hands has become too tough for me. I'm based at Sanpada, New Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Hi SAS,
Sorry last time I couldn't get time to do the detailing with my Karcher but I'm planning to do one after 28 May'12. Would let you know. We could certainly have a detailing party sort of. I don't know where is bhpian basky missing all the fun, you gave us the idea of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks