Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 14:11   #5761
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Have recently ordered Meguiars clay bar and collinite 845 from bringingbest.com , Unfortunately they don't have Blackfire wet diamond / opti seal paint sealant with them.
Can someone suggest equivalent good product or any other place where i can find these products? Thanks much.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:16   #5762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Meguiars Quick Detailer did the trick! Thanks.
It is wonderful stuff. But it doesn't remove chewing gum. WD40 did that for me.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:00   #5763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeepm777 View Post
I got a Meguiars DA Polishing machine G220 V2 from UK & decided to test it out.
Washed,Shampoo & Clayed using Meguiars.Thereafter using Meguiars Ultimate Compound buffed the whole car to get rid of the swirl marks followed by meguiars nxt generation tech wax 2 & buffed it out.
What price did you get the DA buffer? Also need to see the swirl mark pictures before this was done to see the difference.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:40   #5764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
What price did you get the DA buffer? Also need to see the swirl mark pictures before this was done to see the difference.
It costed 170 quid in UK.The cars were fairly swirl free so I couldn't really notice any correction but the sheen on the paint is awesome,can't get the same results by hand polishing plus makes the task really seem easy.
Old 4th May 2012, 20:48   #5765
BHPian

Maybe OT, but can anyone explain the correct procedure to clean the sunfilm?
Old 5th May 2012, 10:12   #5766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Meguiars Quick Detailer did the trick! Thanks.
Just fyi, a cheaper alternative is Optimum Opti Clean or even Mothers' Quick Detailer ("Showtime").
Old 8th May 2012, 13:50   #5767
BHPian

1. I came across a Gujarat-based online store where one can get products of Meguiar's, Armor All, etc. at reasonable prices. Here is the link: India. I have not purchased any items from them yet, so I cannot vouch for their services.

2. Regarding washing microfiber cloth, I have so far washed my Eurow microfiber cloths (purchased from Sanjay @ Bringing Best Impex) using Ezee, with no problems. I have not yet washed the Jopasu duster as I have read conflicting advice about how to do so.

3. In a previous post on this thread, I mentioned the wash and wax routine that was originally suggested by El Lobo 6061. I have noticed that after the last step (Collinite 845), the luster is marginally improved by using a paste wax such as Formula 1 Carnauba paste wax or Turtle Wax Hard Shell Paste Wax (which unlike other Turtle Wax products, is easily available).

However, I still do not find the luster to be as deep/wet as that claimed by the manufacturers of these products in their advertising videos. Of course, I apply these chemicals by hand, and I don't morph the photographs of my car to make it look cooler, but still I expect better outputs.

The current process used on my black Cruze is

1. Wash with Amway Car shampoo.
2. Dry with chamois and microfiber.
3. Clay with Mother's California Clay Bar system.
4. Apply Finishkare cleaner and sealant. Buff out with microfiber.
5. Apply Collinite 845 Insulator Wax (two coats, separated by a few hours). Buff out with microfiber.
6. Apply TurtleWax hard shell paste wax. Buff out with microfiber.

Q1: Does the Showtime Quick Detailer used while claying also function as a pre-wax cleaner?

Q2: Before step 5, should I use a liquid polish? If yes, which one? And if yes, should polish be applied every time the car is washed?

Q3: What can be done to improve the shine and luster of the paint, after step 5/6?

I find myself washing the car once every 3 weeks, with daily use of Jopasu Car Duster and almost daily use of Optimum Opti Clean.

4. I am looking for a good quality car cover. Polco (DuPoint) does not sell one for the Cruze, and I am looking for something which absolutely does not scratch the car paint, and is not skin fit. Any suggestions?
Old 8th May 2012, 15:00   #5768
Senior - BHPian

@darthvader: For a black car, you should be using 915 instead of 845.
FAQs » Collinite
Old 8th May 2012, 20:05   #5769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
1. I came across a Gujarat-based online store where one can get products of Meguiar's, Armor All, etc. at reasonable prices. Here is the link: India. I have not purchased any items from them yet, so I cannot vouch for their services.
Thanks for the link. After Auto-Mall website Carpolish doesn't list any products seems to have been closed, just my opinion. Only authenticity of Auto-Fresh website needs to be known to purchase few products which have very good pricing.

Quote:
Q1: Does the Showtime Quick Detailer used while claying also function as a pre-wax cleaner?
No.

Quote:
Q2: Before step 5, should I use a liquid polish? If yes, which one? And if yes, should polish be applied every time the car is washed?
Some recommend to use liquid polish after applying paste wax like Megs NXT Tech Wax Spray. But it would be too much of hard work with so many products one after another.

Quote:
Q3: What can be done to improve the shine and luster of the paint, after step 5/6?
Quick detail the car everyday or every other day with either Mothers Showtime Quick Detailer, Megs Quick Detailer or Optimum No Rinse Quick Detailer Concentrate in 1:16(ONR:Water) ratio.

Quote:
I find myself washing the car once every 3 weeks, with daily use of Jopasu Car Duster and almost daily use of Optimum Opti Clean.
Same here, clean the car with Jopasu which does a fab job and quick detail the car either everyday or every other day depending on the usage.
Old 9th May 2012, 01:46   #5770
BHPian

Spent this weekend detailing my friends new Manza and Nano. The Manza is the Tyrian Wine colour and had a couple of scratches (parked on road!). The scratches were not too deep (couldn't see the primer) but pretty visible. THere was one heck of a scratch (multiple scratches) because of someone keeping a heavy object on the boot lid and then moving it off. This was deep and I could catch with my fingernail.

The Nano (P.Orange) was pretty clean, except for a couple of stickers some moron had put on the back.

Material used - Sonax shampoo, Motomax 2K rubbing compound, Meguiars Gold Clay bar, Sonax polish liquid, Collinite845, Formula1 pastewax (old tin lying around), Zorrik88, 20 litre jar of water (purified), ABRO Masking tape, Enough MF cloths including Meguiars Premium, 2 spray bottles, lots of elbow grease!

First both the cars were washed down with the Shampoo. Used very little water as it wasnt bucket wash. The technique I used uses very little water and gives a decent wash withougt damaging the paint.

Low water use wash method
First, I dust the car thoroughly with the Jopasu duster. Wet the harder stuff (like bird dropping/ tree sap) with a concentrated solution (1:1) of water & Shampoo. Then I spray the entire car with a 1litre spray bottle which consists of 1/2 capful sonax gloss shampoo+1litre of water. Then use a thoroughly wet sponge (car sponge) to clean the car. Wipe down with a wet cloth (cotton/MF) and then dry with a chamois. This process reduces the possibility of scratches, while leaving a sparkling clean car with minimal use of water (4-5 litres).

The Detailing
The Manza, as I earlier mentioned had a couple of scratches with one major scratch.
The scratches were first rubbed with the rubbing compound (gently, of course). Almost all the scratches became invisible to the naked eye.
Then I clayed the car using the megs clay. After which the car was washed down with some water (4 mugs of it with a Wet sponge, wet cloth, chamois).
Then a layer of Sonax polish was applied. After which, a layer of Collinite sealed the deal! Needless to say the car was looking really good, the colour really deep and liquid.
The Nano was easier to work on. The sticker was soaked with Zorrik88 and a tissue was placed on it to avoid runoff. After 3-4 minutes the sticker came off nice and easy. The paint was not dulled.
Then followed the clay, polish, wax routine with it as well.
The entire process for both cars took about 5 hours, with a break thrown in. Sadly, we did not click any pictures of the before and after. I will try to click a couple of pictures when I get a chance.

The best part
Both cars are a friends, who incidentally is a lady. Just a couple of days before this, she was arguing with me how I am very emotional about my car and stuff.
She helped me with the detailing process (Nano) and after that, she said, "If anyone even touches my car now…"

Last edited by torquecurve : 9th May 2012 at 01:47.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 12:38   #5771
BHPian

Guys, I am on the verge of ordering Meguiars Ultimate Polish for usage on my white Punto from Bringingbest. Any feedback on the same? Can it be used with hand?
Old 11th May 2012, 13:08   #5772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Guys, I am on the verge of ordering Meguiars Ultimate Polish for usage on my white Punto from Bringingbest. Any feedback on the same? Can it be used with hand?
I doubt anyone would have used Megs Ultimate Polish, but try Googling for reviews on Megs website & Autogeek. Yes, it can be applied by hands. Do purchase Pinnacle Yellow Foam Applicator pads from Sanjay for applying it.

If you could get Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax, it would be better than Megs Ultimate Liquid Polish. But sourcing it is very difficult.
Old 11th May 2012, 13:28   #5773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
If you could get Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax, it would be better than Megs Ultimate Liquid Polish. But sourcing it is very difficult.
I already have Collinite 845 and Mothers' Clay Bar Kit. I just needed a good polish to complete my kit, which essentially has to be suited to hand use. I plan to do the following

1. Thorough wash using Amway car shampoo
2. Clay Bar
3. Polish with Megs Ultimate Polish
4. Collinite 845 insulator wax
Old 11th May 2012, 13:35   #5774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I already have Collinite 845 and Mothers' Clay Bar Kit. I just needed a good polish to complete my kit, which essentially has to be suited to hand use.
Well I thought you were only getting Megs Ultimate Polish. Now that you have Collinite 845, Megs Ultimate Polish would do just fine before applying 845. But I did still say Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax would be better than Megs Ultimate Liquid Polish and you can top it off with 845. But again sourcing it is very difficult.

Quote:
I plan to do the following

1. Thorough wash using Amway car shampoo
2. Clay Bar
3. Polish with Megs Ultimate Polish
4. Collinite 845 insulator wax
Absolutely correct with the products you are having. Just in case you want to remove any scratches/swrils you could do it after claying but you would need to purchase a product for the same like Megs ScratchX 2.0.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 23:05   #5775
BHPian

Any other good polish that I can buy online? Whatever is available locally is either fake or some cheap stuff. Suggestions solicited.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks