Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Where did you purchase this from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Nice! Where did you buy it from?

Do they have M21 in stock?

EDIT: Added a picture on what M26 did to my R15! BTW I have paste wax.

Attachment 959557
Its available at autofresh.in
BTW that finish on R15 is great, did you use any other product/s too along with M26 ?
Old 21st July 2012, 16:22   #6002
BHPian

At last, after a 3 month wait, i got hold of the Megs ScratchX2.0 and the Klasse All-in-One and Sealant and the applicator pads from US. I had ordered them from Amazon and someone carried it for me to India.

After help from lot of bhpians and special mention to Rohaan (el lobo 6061) i have planned to detail my car in the following manner.

Day 1:
1. Wash with Amway
2. Clay using Mothers Clay Bar
REST
3. Remove Swirl Marks using Megs ScratchX2.0 by hand (don't have a DA)
4. Apply and Buff with Klasse AIO

Day 2:
1. Apply and Buff with Klasse Sealant
2. Apply and Buff with Collinite 845
3. Enjoy the looks and admire

I plan to do this on Mon/Tue. Will try to take few snaps before and after. Since i am the only person doing this DIY, it would not be too easy to take snaps, but i'll definitely try to take before and after snaps to check the effectiveness of Megs ScratchX2.0.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010313.jpg  

hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:07   #6003
BHPian

^^ That looks like a promising kit.
I would be eager to see the KLASSE AIO + KLASSE SG + Collinite845 in action in Indian conditions. I am myself panning to get KLASSE AIO + KLASSE SG but now I would wait to watch your results.

Please do post a lot of pre and post pics, eagarly looking forward to it.
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:03   #6004
BHPian

Thanks RS.

But i must apologize as i am not able to do the detailing today mainly because of a bad sore throat and a cold. I will do it Tue/Wed or Wed/Thu depending on how soon i feel better.

Believe me i am very excited and can't wait to try on these products. Thank you for the inspirations.

P.S. I will definitely take as much photos as I can.
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:07   #6005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Two questions mate - Have you used the Jopasu duster and how does it compare to the California duster since Jopasu costs 1/4th of California duster? Secondly, what's a DA?
I haven't used Jopasu before buying california duster, el_lobo_6061 used Jopasu and he is happy with it. He could give you more detail on it.

DA - Dual Action Polisher - Powered motor with polishing pad which rotates in random orbit helps in polishing, swirl removal and sealant process.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 17:13   #6006
Senior - BHPian

To all the DA owners and prospective buyers, is it worth buying DA from the US given they work at 110v and we'll need to buy a step-down transformer ?

I've no idea how much wattage would be required, would be of great help if someone could help in this and the approx prices of the same here.

A 1000 watt step down transformer+Porter cable 7424XP comes up to $167 without shipping, the same goes to $285 with shipping and customs making it more expensive than the Megs 220 available locally!

In addition to this, we have to buy Buffer pads, backing plate,polish etc. So say 20k will be the total cost if shipped from US.

I'm thinking the Megs unit available locally would be a better buy, and for only Swirl removal 3M is a cheaper option.
Old 24th July 2012, 17:34   #6007
Senior - BHPian

Getting a DA from UK will be much less of a headache as they'll run on our electrical systems out of the box!!

+ You can buy complete kits with polishes, polishing pads and a bag to carry everything in!

- Dodo Juice Buff Daddy Dual Action Polisher & FREE pads Elite Car Care

- Kestrel DAS-6 - Menzerna Polishing Kit Elite Car Care
Old 24th July 2012, 18:18   #6008
Senior - BHPian

Buying from UK looks like a better option,but i have the following queries:

1. How good are the DA's ? I've mainly read about PC,Flex since i visit autogeek a lot. No idea about Kestrel etc.

2.Do they ship to India? i couldn't see India in the list or we'll need someone to carry it
Old 24th July 2012, 18:35   #6009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I haven't used Jopasu before buying california duster, el_lobo_6061 used Jopasu and he is happy with it. He could give you more detail on it.

DA - Dual Action Polisher - Powered motor with polishing pad which rotates in random orbit helps in polishing, swirl removal and sealant process.
Just trying to get a perspective on Jopasu Vs California duster. Jopasu costs around 500 while California Duster is around 1500. I have been using Jopasu for 4 months now and although it does the job well, I can't help wonder if the California duster would be better.
If anybody has used both, please share your observation.
Old 24th July 2012, 19:46   #6010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
To all the DA owners and prospective buyers, is it worth buying DA from the US given they work at 110v and we'll need to buy a step-down transformer ?

I've no idea how much wattage would be required, would be of great help if someone could help in this and the approx prices of the same here.
1 KW Should do for this, I have one for my AV Receiver (Vishal Brand, SP Road, Blr) Rs 2,450

If you notice the full meguiars package it costs Rs 14,288 in India.

If you buy the same stuff in US $150 + $ 10 + $10 + $ 9 = $ 180 = Rs 9,900

If you add step down = Rs 12,150

Shipping within US(might be free), to India(Not sure). Looks to me buying megs from india might be an better deal.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 20:47   #6011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1 KW Should do for this, I have one for my AV Receiver (Vishal Brand, SP Road, Blr) Rs 2,450

If you notice the full meguiars package it costs Rs 14,288 in India.
I can only see the Polishing and the finishing pads on offer. Will we not need an Orange Pad for the tougher things like swirl removal,scratches etc ?

You're right about Megs being better buy from India, i was looking at Porter Cable since all detailing sites prefer it over Megs and its slightly cheaper too (10$ or so)

Quote:
Looks to me buying megs from india might be an better deal.
If its a 2-3k difference, its a better buy in India but i'm still trying to get all the math right to make a decision

EDIT: Just saw that the yellow pad can be used for Swirl/Scratch removal. You're right, its a complete kit for 14,288!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 24th July 2012 at 20:58.
Old 24th July 2012, 20:51   #6012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Getting a DA from UK will be much less of a headache as they'll run on our electrical systems out of the box!!
Why not Flex XC 3401? Thats the best. If one time investment is to go by, its the best, otherwise Megs G220V2 does a good job too. Saving money for Flex.
And apologies for not able to review the 2 blind sample of paint sealant. Rains have been too irregular with not even 4 hr of respite. This weekend for sure will give the paint sealant a try since my car is now stripped of BFWD sealant due to harsh rain. Will find a closed enclosure even if needed to for work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Just trying to get a perspective on Jopasu Vs California duster.If anybody has used both, please share your observation.
My suggestion would be to stay with Jopasu. California duster and Jopasu are both the same. Both of them are coated with paraffin wax which helps in sweeping the dust. Since California duster is imported and additional duties get levied plus dollar reaching all time high, results in such high price. Jopasu will do the job for 1/5th the cost of California duster.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2012 at 23:35. Reason: removed extra smiley
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 14:38   #6013
BHPian

I am in Day 1 of detailing my car.

I washed car using Amway Car Shampoo
Clayed it using Mothers' Clay car Kit
Used Megs ScratchX2.0 using hand with applicator pad

Few observations:
1. Clay did take out lot of grime or small black materials
2. Now this is debatable. I feel ScratchX is an excellent product, but one has to use a DA to get results. I spent 1hour 45mins in my car (Swift) with the ScratchX and after lot of elbow grease, the difference is merely 15-20% of swirl removal.

P.S. I am sorry, i tried to take lot of snaps of the scratches/swirls but they just wont come out. Read somewhere that the best option is to take the car out in the sun, which i dont want to do unnecessarily, as it would attract lot of dust.

I am now going to apply Klasse AIO and call it a day.

My arms are already aching :-(
hyper-VTEC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 20:58   #6014
BHPian

Contd. from previous post:

I completed the Klasse AIO application and buffing. The car does look clean now, although there is no additional shine to it yet. Maybe it will come through once i use the sealant and top it off with Wax.

I will consolidate and write a full post once it is completed tomorrow (hopefully). Right now i have aching wrists and biceps. As Mr. Miyagi said, Wax on Wax off, Wax on Wax off, Wax on Wax off.

One more thing, i needed to check one thing from the experts (el_lobo you there?). The applicator i used to apply Klasse AIO turned almost black. Is this normal, or did I do something wrong? Posting a snap to demonstrate what i mean. The one on the left is a new applicator, on the right is the one I used to apply AIO.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-appl.jpg  

hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 21:40   #6015
BHPian

OT, can somebody point me to a similar thread that focuses on Interior detailing? I am confused whether to invest in a vacuum cleaner and what kind. I want to know if I can wash the interiors with water and soap. stuff like that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks