Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 15:34   #7051
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
Just got my waffle weave microfibre cloth delivered at my home.

Attachment 1062626

Attachment 1062627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That does not look like a waffle weave pattern to me. Looks like a normal micro fibre cloth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
My 2 cents:
Using a high quality microfiber is essential- because of a simple reason that it will not scratch the paint either due to cheap lining or linting issues. Microfiber factories use a hot wire system to cut their towels. IF not done properly with a high quality machine it will melt the fabric which turns into plastic.
Also ensure that you wash a new microfiber before using as any lint or chemicals that the microfiber may have come in contact gets washed away. Some of them also run color. You can use this one for wheels and door jambs maybe. Sorry for the longish post but just thought will share some important information that may help next time you decide on buying a microfiber!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
thanks brother. i have also got a jopasu mf cloth which i got free with jopasu duster but didn't get time to use it. i wanted another mf cloth to dry the car after washing so i ordered this one. next time i think i should go for meguiars.

i just washed my vento with a mf wash mitt and carnuba car shampoo and then wiped my car with this towel. it might not be a waffle weave but it surely has a high water absorbing capacity. i did not have to wipe a body panel twice for drying it. did not even had to wring the cloth more than twice to remove the water from it. i am satisfied with it.
Old 18th March 2013, 15:36   #7052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
What would be best product for Chrome parts and easily available in India ? Specially tried and tested product.
Never dull although requires a lot of effort for tough rust but does the job. I was thinking of telling about it to you on the meet day when I saw the RD.

Btw a reminder plastic chrome and metallic chrome react differently to these polishes. Nevr Dull is only metal polish.
Old 18th March 2013, 15:41   #7053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Avoid jopasu. Maybe only as interior cleaner ( plastics/seats)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Any specific reason to avoid Jopasu MF cloth? Since I am using it for a month and do not see any flaws.
I have microfibre cloths from UK varying from the original (I think) e-cloths, which were/are really expensive down to 99p-shop towels and 99p 5-pack cloths (Oh the wonders of London's 99p shops!). I use the 99p towels on both my self and the car (although I generally try to keep the actual towels separate). They are excellent. I have a Jopasu mf cloth which I use for drying the car, and, so far, it is the only thing I've used it for, so it is being used on a clean surface: it is really good, and soaks up as much water as my larger but thinner 99p towels.

My opinion: It is the daily wipe that damages the car, not the cloth. In so far as dust is lifted and trapped by microfibre, that will minimise damage, but still, every time you move dust across your paint you risk scratches.

What to do? remove dust only with the lightest of touches from a Jopasu duster or barely touching with MF cloth. If you can't train/trust your driver/cleaner to do this then better to go out in a dusty car!
Old 18th March 2013, 16:16   #7054
BHPian

Quote:
What would be best product for Chrome parts and easily available in India ? Specially tried and tested product.
I use Brite-O cream polish. It is made by Pidilite (makers of Fevicol) and available in aluminum tubes. Do not use it on Plastic chrome.
Old 18th March 2013, 16:24   #7055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have microfibre cloths from UK varying from the original (I think) e-cloths, which were/are really expensive down to 99p-shop towels and 99p 5-pack cloths (Oh the wonders of London's 99p shops!). I use the 99p towels on both my self and the car (although I generally try to keep the actual towels separate). They are excellent. I have a Jopasu mf cloth which I use for drying the car, and, so far, it is the only thing I've used it for, so it is being used on a clean surface: it is really good, and soaks up as much water as my larger but thinner 99p towels.

My opinion: It is the daily wipe that damages the car, not the cloth. In so far as dust is lifted and trapped by microfibre, that will minimise damage, but still, every time you move dust across your paint you risk scratches.

What to do? remove dust only with the lightest of touches from a Jopasu duster or barely touching with MF cloth. If you can't train/trust your driver/cleaner to do this then better to go out in a dusty car!
Thanks for the info. For the daily dusting job, I use Jopasu Duster and use the Jopasu MF cloth during the weekly shampoo wash session. Have recently got the Jopasu Cleaning kit which has a duster, mini duster, a MF Cloth and a MF Glove. Have thought of using the MF Glove for the detailing session.
Old 18th March 2013, 16:31   #7056
Distinguished - BHPian

That's how I got my Jopasu MF... as part of the pack. Actually, I'd forgotten about the glove, and never used it: might be good for interiors?

Quote:
I use Brite-O cream polish.
I use Autosol. It's been around for ages, I remember my dad using it perhaps as long ago as 1950s! It is gentle enough to apply using fingers (warning: skin differs from person to person, I can only say it doesn't do any harm to mine!) but is also effective.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th March 2013 at 16:33.
Old 18th March 2013, 17:39   #7057
BHPian

Hello Experts, My friend is planing to get a car polishing machine. He is a newbi in polishing. Is there any recomendations or things needs to be taken care in a DIY polishing. Main reason to go for a polishing machine is that his car is a white vento and it is difficult to maintin it and the number of scratches in city drive. Is it recomended to go for the machine or do it from outide?
Old 18th March 2013, 19:53   #7058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Btw a reminder plastic chrome and metallic chrome react differently to these polishes. Nevr Dull is only metal polish.
Thanks for the heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I use Brite-O cream polish. It is made by Pidilite (makers of Fevicol) and available in aluminum tubes. Do not use it on Plastic chrome.
Oh good. Any leads on where this can bought. I believe you have used it, any pictures on it.
Old 18th March 2013, 20:04   #7059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Hello Experts, My friend is planing to get a car polishing machine. He is a newbi in polishing. Is there any recomendations or things needs to be taken care in a DIY polishing. Main reason to go for a polishing machine is that his car is a white vento and it is difficult to maintin it and the number of scratches in city drive. Is it recomended to go for the machine or do it from outide?
I would recommend your friend to start off with hand polishing/waxing since using a polishing/buffing machine requires a great amount of caution as overdoing/ applying increased pressure will rip off the paint. Btw Skill buffing machine is a good one and I have been using it for almost 2 years without any issues.
Old 18th March 2013, 22:59   #7060
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Experts, My friend is planing to get a car polishing machine. He is a newbi in polishing. Is there any recomendations or things needs to be taken care in a DIY polishing.?
Since he is a beginner please ask him to stay away from rotary buffers/polishers. A DA polisher will not harm the paint and will be far easier to control. But they are costly. And it's better to get the machine from someone who can also guide you on how to work it.
Old 18th March 2013, 23:32   #7061
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As folks have rightly mentioned, DA works better for a starter and they start from 10K onwards. Some people i know have got a local DA for as little as 7K but then its not that great in terms of build quality, though works!. That said, its not a must to have a machine polish. For scratches which are minor products like Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 can work well with hand( or any good polish you can lay hands on). Hand polishing works but only if you are looking at a good result (and for most that works) and not at swirl removal etc.
For any polishing effort, first one must know what do you really want to accomplish and can polishing give that, then you have to choose the tools. If the scratches you mention cannot be removed by machine polish, then there is no use of it!
Once you have decide the method, then go for what to buy.
Another aspect will be to choose the right polish with the correct amount of aggressive cut etc along with the pad( hand or foam for the machine). There are ample videos online to show what machine polish does and how to use a DA.
Old 19th March 2013, 11:42   #7062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try Black and Decker KP1200 DA Polisher. It can be used by a Newbie DIYer.

http://www.machpowertools.com/Produc...id-842965.aspx
Old 19th March 2013, 12:23   #7063
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up

Oh good. Any leads on where this can bought. I believe you have used it, any pictures on it.
Brite-O would be available at Hardware stores. As Thad Ginathom says, Autosol is excellent but sourcing is an issue. I am still not able to buy it locally.
And I am yet to take the pictures of 'Before' & 'After'!

Last edited by KkVaidya : 19th March 2013 at 12:24.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:03   #7064
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Experts, My friend is planing to get a car polishing machine. He is a newbi in polishing. Is there any recomendations or things needs to be taken care in a DIY polishing. mended to go for the machine or do it from outide?
Yes you can get a DA and use it yourself, with a little training which you can get from watching videos on Youtube and Autogeek. Its very rare that a newbie will burn the paint or polish off too much while using a DA.

There are few good ones available like the Megs G220 for instance. Currently not sold in India but if you have some friend coming from UK or USA ( need to check if its the 220V version) they can hand carry it for you, along with few pads. Polishes are widely available here. There are a couple of other options available in India but havent tried them personally.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:04   #7065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I use Autosol. It's been around for ages, I remember my dad using it perhaps as long ago as 1950s! It is gentle enough to apply using fingers (warning: skin differs from person to person, I can only say it doesn't do any harm to mine!) but is also effective.
Missed reading your post. Thanks for the lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Brite-O would be available at Hardware stores. As Thad Ginathom says, Autosol is excellent but sourcing is an issue. I am still not able to buy it locally.
And I am yet to take the pictures of 'Before' & 'After'!
Found the distributor for it in Bangalore. INR 50 for a 75gm tube. Will pick it up today. Will post the before and after results.

Distributor details.
SHRUTHI ENTERPRISES
NO.712, 9TH CROSS
INDRA NAGAR IInd STAGE
BANGALORE-38
MOBILE: +91 9845236486

More details on Autosol in India

AUTOSOL INDIA PVT LTD
K.S. MANI
No. 16, 75th Street, R.V.Nagar
Jaffar Khan Pet
Chennai - 600 083