Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2014, 20:38   #8551
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvoyeur View Post
Step 3 and 4. Claying and compounding - Would it make sense to do it on a new car as well? In one of the flowcharts in this thread from autogeek, it said if the paint is in good condition you dont need to do compounding.
Compounding can be skipped since paint is new and there wont be many swirls or scratches, except one on bonnet. I would definitely recommend claying as there would be many bonded contaminants even on a brand new car.

Quote:
Would it make sense to first get it done from a pro detailer and then buy the rotary/DA polisher or should I spend time learning and buying the equipment right away.
It all depends on how much time you can devote to your hobby, in our case "Car Detailing".

If you have time and wish to learn, then there is nothing better than investing in DA or rotary. Else if you wish to go slow, skip machines and purchase products and apply by hand. At a later stage say 6-12 months purchase a rotary or DA to go full fledged.

Quote:
Step 6. Glass coating, sealant or wax - From what I understood, I would polish and then use a sealant like UPP. Where does glass coating fit in between? Again, does it make sense to get one of those products you suggested or should I wait and learn before buying those.
Glass coating are professional stuff and best left to them. For enthusiast like us wax or sealant works best. You would require training, a closed garage, perfect ambient temperature to cure,etc for glass coatings.

You can get Four Star. VFM paint sealant.

Quote:
Which of these steps, if not done perfectly, can cause irreversible damage to the paint?
Any of these step. While washing car, if you don't clean your wash mitt evertime, it would have dust particles which can cause swirls on paint surface. All steps are pretty much easy. Watch videos on YouTube by Meguiars, Autogeek, etc and you would get hang of it.

Quote:
Lastly, for fixing up the mess you suggested I use Megs UC but I would need rotary/DA to use it effectively?
For the mess you can easily work by hand to remove it. If there were such marks all over the car, then a DA or rotary would be needed. You would need to do 3 passes/application to get rid of those scratches on your cars hood.

Quote:
Would I just use UC on the affected area or the entire car (related to questions on step 3 and 4)?
Since only hood is having scratches, I would advise to use UC only on hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Pretty much shows you know your stuff and the detailing process inside out.
Same way, you know your way through some interesting DIY on your Polo.

Quote:
I wash my car once a week. If I were to switch to the ONR trick you had mentioned, perhaps I can reduce the frequency of washes to maybe once in 2 weeks?
If you dust your car with Jopasu and QD it using ONR, you can pretty much avoid car washing on weekly basis. I wash my car once in a month as car cover DuPont Tyvek, Jopasu & ONR QD help me keep it clean & shining.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 02:13   #8552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Congrats on your Cheetah Xuv!

Person who did this to your car needs to be spanked. He basically used some terrible abrasive compound to cause more scratches then doing anything worthwhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
@carvoyeur - Get rid of the bonnet ribbons asap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Bonnet ribbons are a must off immediately.
Get it removed ASAP
Guys, thanks for helping me out here. I have been reading a lot on the internet and just wanted to confirm that based on the pictures this is not a damage to the clear coat - because apparently that is ir-repairable.

I could not feel the scratches from my finger so it should ideally not be a clear coat damage?

Can't wait to get it back to how it was
Old 13th May 2014, 07:11   #8553
BANNED

Quote:

I could not feel the scratches from my finger so it should ideally not be a clear coat damage?

Can't wait to get it back to how it was
Go to the 3M or the A.S.S and see what can be done but before going there, get rid of the ribbons, they act like abrasive paper that scratch around while the car is in move which worsens the situation. New car sentiment, I agree but these ribbons are more of harm than beauty.

'IF' this damage is irreparable and nothing can be done then you'll need to get a new bonnet and paint it again.

Anurag
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 10:44   #8554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are the sad pictures of my 20 days old black XUV

Thought of starting an ownership thread but need to get through the basics first. Cant have a poor start than this when it comes to having my first car.

Will really appreciate if some one can guide me through this. Have already reached out to Moshin (UltimateDetailerz) but unfortunately I live too far away to take my car to him in person
I am sure you have 3M car care in Delhi/Gurgaon. Get the paint sealant treatment done from there. They will be able to remove those defects. After that do the maintenance yourself. Those defects are impossible to remove by hand. You need machine power. No point in buying too many stuff just to remove a scratched bonnet. Get the correction done and then buy a couple of products to maintain the finish
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 13:01   #8555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been reading a lot on the internet and just wanted to confirm that based on the pictures this is not a damage to the clear coat - because apparently that is ir-repairable.
Today's paint are two stage wherein there is a base coat of color applied and on top of it a clear coat. Basically clear coat is of transparent color which adds protection & gloss to paint surface.

On your car bonnet, clear coat due to improper abrasive has got hazed out because of which you cannot see base paint which is black color. It can be easily repaired using Ultimate Compound by DIY. Else you can go over to Mahindra workshop or 3M Car Care who would fix it up for you for a nominal charge.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 13:26   #8556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh dear lord! That's some horrible damage. I agree with sagar and recommend taking it out to a professional detailer to get it corrected. You will be able to correct 80-85% by hand,and i'm sure you don't want a brand new car with swirls on the bonnet. You will not be able to achieve 100% correction by hand even if you have the arms of a body-builder. Not to mention all that elbow grease will leave you with sore arms and shoulders.

There are a few in Delhi you can try like 3M, Sparkle detailing. (Note-I'm helping out a fellow enthusiast here,i've no other intentions or interests in any enterprise)

If you see a 'white patch/line' that means the scratch is too deep and has gone right to the panel,which means a repaint. Nothing else will help hide it. There's usually 3 layers on a panel, primer,base coat and clear coat.

Kindly go to the very first post in this thread and read through that link. It gives you detail on everything.

You don't have to worry about clear coat damage at all. This is what clear coat damage looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-random.jpg  

shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 13:46   #8557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
T
On your car bonnet, clear coat due to improper abrasive has got hazed out because of which you cannot see base paint which is black color. It can be easily repaired using Ultimate Compound by DIY. Else you can go over to Mahindra workshop or 3M Car Care who would fix it up for you for a nominal charge.
Thanks El lobo for patiently answering all my queries. I figured out what clear coat means but was not able to understand why is it slightly whitish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Oh dear lord! That's some horrible damage. I agree with sagar and recommend taking it out to a professional detailer to get it corrected.
If you see a 'white patch/line' that means the scratch is too deep and has gone right to the panel,which means a repaint.
Great. That is some relief because since El lobo also mentioned, it could be repaired.

I just need to wait till the weekend before I get this sorted (I am out of town on weekdays). Then I might be able to relax. Will keep you wonderful folks updated.

Thanks
Carvoyeur
Old 13th May 2014, 14:34   #8558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
get rid of the ribbons, they act like abrasive paper that scratch around while the car is in move which worsens the situation

More than the scratches, it can create permanent stain in the clear coat / paint (esp lighter color). I had seen one white pulse with a similar issue, nothing helped other than repainting the bonnet.
Old 13th May 2014, 17:24   #8559
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1239841

Attachment 1239842

Attachment 1239843

Thought of starting an ownership thread but need to get through the basics first. Cant have a poor start than this when it comes to having my first car.

Will really appreciate if some one can guide me through this. Have already reached out to Moshin (UltimateDetailerz) but unfortunately I live too far away to take my car to him in person
This Can Be Taken Care Of By Compounding and polishing. From Pictures it looks like sanding Marks.

Did Anyone Used Sandpaper On it ?
Old 13th May 2014, 17:46   #8560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
This Can Be Taken Care Of By Compounding and polishing. From Pictures it looks like sanding Marks.

Did Anyone Used Sandpaper On it ?
Fair assumption

Like I mentioned, a local painting and denting shop claimed to remove the swastik mark with a guaranteed no harm on the paint. However they used some really abrasive cheap quality rubbing compound which led to this.
Old 13th May 2014, 18:52   #8561
BHPian

Quote:
Fair assumption

Like I mentioned, a local painting and denting shop claimed to remove the swastik mark with a guaranteed no harm on the paint. However they used some really abrasive cheap quality rubbing compound which led to this.
Sorry about your new car. My suggestion is go to the experts like 3M and get it sorted out, rather than playing around further and aggravating the condition. Dont even go to mahindra ASC as I dont believe even they have the kind of experienced people to handle such cases and get it sorted out 100%. And once the issue is sorted out, then you can start maintaining on your own.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 09:55   #8562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When it is my turn, what I usually do is to dust the car every day morn using the Jopasu duster. It takes care of the dust but during winter mornings, I have noticed that the dust has a moist feeling (due to the condensed water) and the duster doesn’t do a good job.
Yes, the surface will be moist in the mornings. The best way is to dust the car as soon as you return from work the previous evening. I know it'll be tiring after a day's work , but its always better to dust the previous day evening so that the dust won't be exposed to the mist.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 14:21   #8563
Senior - BHPian

Another caution to those using Jopasu Duster,please don't use the duster to clean your car after your car was drenched in rains. In the rainy season atleast,go with a water wash and give the Duster and QD a break.

When you drive through rains, the dust from the road is sprayed onto your car and this tends to stick. Using a duster to clean will result in horrible swirls,easily visible on black cars.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 13:07   #8564
BHPian

Guys,

Decided to come here at 3M gurgaon - the owner Anurag recommended advanced paint sealant treatment (5990 + taxes)

Quick question - he is hard selling and asking me to get a total package (17200+taxes) or total exterior package (11200+taxes)

In total I get - advanced paint sealant, power shine, germiclean, germiclean plus, UV and 5 car washes

In exterior I get - advanced paint sealant, power shine, UV and 2 car washes

Any thoughts if I should go for it or just pay my due share for getting the sad scratches removed and just get the hell out.

Not to mention he is hard selling the 3M nomad car mats and underbody treatment as well but I have decided to take a DIY approach for it.

Carvoyeur
Old 16th May 2014, 13:20   #8565
BANNED

Quote:
Any thoughts if I should go for it or just pay my due share for getting the sad scratches removed and just get the hell out.
First of all good that you approached 3M for the scratch removal. I advise you to first get the issue of scratches solved. Then think of getting the total exterior package that they are try to sell to you.

Guys at 3M do hard sell stuff a lot, the point is to be cool and politely say a No to it, get the things you went there originally for and walk out. I don't blame guys at 3M for hard selling - after all it is their profession.

Get the car back on track and then think about the rest.

All the best buddy and do keep us posted.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks