Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 09:29   #8461
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Hi fellas
I would first gladly like to tel that I acquired my complete detailing kit that includes Meguiar's Wash, ONR, Meg QD, Meg clay bar, Fourstar UP and collinite 845 with couple of applicator pads and MF clothes.
I had scheduled 10th Apr (Delhi polling day) for the sessions.
So starting early straight away casted my vote had breakfast and headed to the parking with the arsenal.
First a good wash with meg, dried the car. Then claying using MEg's and ONR lubricant dilution. Not much came onto but yes few things did.
Then applied FS-UP onto the surface and let it dry for 30 mins. In excitement I had applied thin layer as few places as opposed to what is recommended. By the time it dried I was around 4.30 and I was little tired. Mistake of over application costed in extra labor while cleaning the dried surface. BOY it just made my smile as I moved on clearing the surfaces. It was kind of having little pain in shoulder and at the same time my happiness was growing so was the smile on my face.
By the time I cleared it all It was already 5.30.
Now it's been 4 days to that session and I want to do another layer of FS-UP. SO can I still do another layer? or Shall I go for collinite 845 now?

Ideally Four star UPP must be layered to get maximum protection. Suggest you apply one more layer ASAP. Wash the car before applying a new layer.

Always apply sealants as thin as possible. Less product means easier to remove. Besides more product does not mean more protection . It just waste
Old 15th April 2014, 10:50   #8462
BHPian

Guys,

Today morning when I was looking closely at the bonnet of my XUV. I noticed a white spot, on closer look it seemed that paint from that point had got chipped. This could be some stone hit or something. To further frustate ,I saw few scratches on my bonnet. The color is opulent purple. I am just clueless what to do. Please suggest some solution and is there a way I can coat my XUV to avoid minor scratches. The vehicle is 4 months old.
Old 15th April 2014, 15:57   #8463
Team-BHP Support

A packet of milk leaked. Unfortunately the plastic bag it was in also leaked.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20140414-11.10.441.jpg

I bought this spray from Metro Cash and Carry for Rs 280.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20140414-11.12.231.jpg

Followed instructions.
The stain on the grey part is still visible. But the seat is much cleaner.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20140415-10.16.281.jpg
Old 15th April 2014, 22:41   #8464
BHPian

Hi Guys, I wanted to strip all the wax and sealant off my car to redo it with PB black hole and natty blue. I picked up IPA and mixed 1:1 and wiped down but after spraying water on it it still beads. I tried the wipe down again with 2:1 (IPA : water) and its still beading. Does that indicate that the old wax and sealant has not yet come off?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 16th April 2014, 08:15   #8465
Senior - BHPian

scorpioman, you need to use wax and grease remover/ All Purpose Cleaner.
Old 16th April 2014, 13:15   #8466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
scorpioman, you need to use wax and grease remover/ All Purpose Cleaner.
Thanks Kutlee. I have the Poorboys APC, any idea what dilution ratio would suffice to get the wax and sealant off? I heard it is a very strong APC if not diluted.
Old 16th April 2014, 13:39   #8467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpioman View Post
Hi Guys, I wanted to strip all the wax and sealant off my car to redo it with PB black hole and natty blue. I picked up IPA and mixed 1:1 and wiped down but after spraying water on it it still beads. I tried the wipe down again with 2:1 (IPA : water) and its still beading. Does that indicate that the old wax and sealant has not yet come off?

That's a strong sealant which resists the IPA. Which sealant is this?
Old 16th April 2014, 14:02   #8468
BHPian

Quote:

What you need is a clay followed by a paint cleaner ( Something like AF Rejuvenate, Sonax Paint cleaner , Klasse AIO.. etc ).

Edit:- Just noticed that you will be using PB Blackhole. That should clean/strip the underlying sealant/wax anyway.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 16th April 2014 at 14:06.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 14:56   #8469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
What you need is a clay followed by a paint cleaner ( Something like AF Rejuvenate, Sonax Paint cleaner , Klasse AIO.. etc ).

Edit:- Just noticed that you will be using PB Blackhole. That should clean/strip the underlying sealant/wax anyway.
Thanks Linuxmanju. Does claying help in stripping the wax? I had clayed the car less than a month ago and applied a sealant on it. It is not contaminated or anything just stripping it to try Blackhole. Blackhole does have a slight cleanser action but I doubt it will strip the old wax and sealant off. I will give it a shot though if you are sure it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
That's a strong sealant which resists the IPA. Which sealant is this?
Meguairs M21. Applied less than a month ago.

Last edited by Scorpioman : 16th April 2014 at 14:59.
Old 16th April 2014, 15:45   #8470
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Linuxmanju. Does claying help in stripping the wax? I had clayed the car less than a month ago and applied a sealant on it. It is not contaminated or anything just stripping it to try Blackhole. Blackhole does have a slight cleanser action but I doubt it will strip the old wax and sealant off. I will give it a shot though if you are sure it will
Scorpioman Yes claying does help in stripping the LSPs, to what extent is debatable, but any day should do a better job than an IPA. My suggestion is just clay the car follow it up with PBBH. That should take care of it.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 16:46   #8471
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are having so much trouble removing this protective coating and wax, then maybe it was doing a good job, and you shouldn't have started!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 22:40   #8472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Linuxmanju. Does claying help in stripping the wax? I had clayed the car less than a month ago and applied a sealant on it. It is not contaminated or anything just stripping it to try Blackhole. Blackhole does have a slight cleanser action but I doubt it will strip the old wax and sealant off. I will give it a shot though if you are sure it will.

Meguairs M21. Applied less than a month ago.
Claying will not entirely strip the sealant; personal experience.

Meguiars M21 is a very under rated sealant. Since you've used Meguiars compounds and polishes prior to M21, it offers excellent adhesion as well
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 14:38   #8473
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I am a long time, albeit silent, admirer of the members who contribute regularly to this excellent thread. They are doing a yeomen service by sharing their experience with the silent majority. Kudos to them all.

I have a small issue.

I have a Honda Civic, with leather seats.

I have obstinate fungus spots on the leather cover of the front door hand rest.

All home remedies have failed.

All guidance to remove these is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

P.S -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A packet of milk leaked. ...
Will this thing work on leather?

Last edited by skdking : 18th April 2014 at 14:51.
Old 19th April 2014, 12:07   #8474
Distinguished - BHPian

Experience with CarPro TRIX and Scholl concepts Neo

Applied the above two mentioned products over the last week and wanted to share the experience with fellow BHPians.

CarPro TRIX
This is basically TarX and IronX combined into a single package.This product changes color if it encounters iron or tar contaminants.Purple pink if iron is present and greenish pink if tar is present. Applied the product on the bonnet of my i20 but it not change the color. Basically meant the the heavily sealed paint had done its job of keeping the contaminants away.

Then i remembered the spare wheel. I always clean the spare wheel spic and span after every alignment balancing and rotation session. Since i had got it done last weekend i thought of experimenting the TRIX on it. Out came the heavily dirty wheel and after initial wash with Meguiars degreaser(1:10) i applied TRIX sparingly - about 6 full sprays. The color changed within a minute and the product started bleeding the iron out of the alloy. Left it for 5 mins as mentioned on the bottle and agitated with a brush . The wheel became clean . Although the tough tar marks remained . But then this is not a dedicated product for that heavy tar.So should try TarX on that.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-trix.jpg

Scholl Concepts Neo

This is a unique product from Scholl concepts Which can be applied on Paint,vinyl , glass, chrome, rubber, alloy, plastic.Its a polymer based protectant. A versatile product. The plastic trim in the lower air dam in my i20 had faded . I had tried many products till now. But none of them gave satisfactory results. Based on the recommendation of Mohsin from Ultimate Detailerz i bought this.

Applied it on the plastic using a foam applicator after cleaning the surface. Application is very easy . I put two coats for even coverage. Initially the plastic did not show much difference but the next day i was happy to see that the plastic had acquired a nice matte finish.

The best thing about this product is that very little quantity is required for application. I just used two sprays for each coat. . So a half liter bottle will come a long long way

I also applied the product on the bonnet which i had earlier decontaminated with TRIX. The surface became very slick and it acquired a hard candy gloss . Although the application on paint is not so easy. The foam applicator grabs and does not move smoothly once the product is spread. Again only two sprays for the whole bonnet!

Applied it on windshield. Here i am a bit disapplointed. Although the product beads water heavily it has hampered the wiper operation. The wiper no longer wipes all the water away and there is a thin film of water left at some parts after wiping. So i would not use it on the windshield atleast .

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-neo.jpg
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 17:04   #8475
Senior - BHPian

A few weeks back I had ordered and received 2 new polishes - Gtechniq P2 jeweling polish and Carpro Fixer.

Realized this morning that it's been long since I have done a proper polish and seal, (have been managing with waterless wash using UWW) so decided to use Fixer+LC CCS white pad on the DAS6-PRO, and seal with Meg's NXT Tech wax 2.0.

Details on Fixer can be found here - http://www.carpro-us.com/fixer-compound-polish-500ml/

As always, did a pressure rinse->2 BM wash (Eagle 1 Easi Dri + Meg's MF mitt)-> pressure rinse-> water sheeting-> wipe dry (DC blue giant MF)

Then wiped all the panels with 12% IP soln.

Put the 6" BP on the DA, and then attached the 6.5" white LC CCS, and poured 4-5 pea sized drops of Fixer (shake the bottle before use!) for an entire panel - that's just 4-5 drops for the entire hood, the entire door panels etc. Sprayed the pad with water once and got to work.

Fixer

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_151540.jpg

white CCS

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_133606.jpg

Before polishing - note the bird drop etching in the middle - this is atleast 4-5 months old.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_132759.jpg

After 1 section pass on the hood - bird drop etching - Gone!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_133938.jpg

After 2 section passes on the hood

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_134837.jpg

Fingernail scratches under the front DR side handle

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_141453.jpg

90% reduction after just 1 pass - Excuse the bad paint quality

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_141901.jpg

After the left side was done - that fly sure looks confused with it's image!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_142732.jpg

Polishing done!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_142753.jpg

Time to seal the shine!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_151617.jpg

Sealed and buffed

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_153132.jpg

Parting shot

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140419_153152.jpg

All in all, Carpro Fixer is a superb polish with which desired results can be achieved using the correct pad - just use a more aggressive pad for deeper corrections! Dusting was also minimal.
I was thinking about getting Meg's UP, but I think now there's no need for that!

Total time taken from the start of wash to end of buffing - 4.5 hours.

Comments, queries and criticisms invited.
blackasta is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks