Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 13:34   #8416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Guys,
1) Between Collinite 845 and Meguiars Nxt Gen Tech Wax 2, which one is recommended?
2) Between Meguiars and Mothers clay bar, which one is better?

One of my friends is coming from USA and planning to buy from detailing stuff from there. Present plan is Clay (either Meguiars or Mothers), Meguiars UC, Meguiars UP and Wax (either Meguiars Nxt Gen tech2 or Collinite 845). Any other suggestion for a budget of around USD 40?
Thanks in advance for you replies
845 is better as it lasts longer and brings more depth and warmth to the paint, after following the steps you mentioned. But I prefer the 915 as it gives you better results than 845, especially on dark cars. And it lasts even longer. It should be in that price range you mentioned.
Old 23rd March 2014, 14:31   #8417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
845 is better as it lasts longer and brings more depth and warmth to the paint, after following the steps you mentioned. But I prefer the 915 as it gives you better results than 845, especially on dark cars. And it lasts even longer. It should be in that price range you ,.
Thanks carrerastrax. Iam already using 845 and have a red swift. How is effort required to apply 915. Is it more thicker than 845? Also read that UC is harsh on soft paint. Any idea if paint on swift is soft?
Old 23rd March 2014, 17:36   #8418
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I'm planning to buy a budget machine polisher to apply polish and compounds so that the back breaking sessions come to an end. Do you have any suggestion?
The best VFM is a rotary DeWalt 849X. Comes for shade less than 10 grand.

Quote:
1) Between Collinite 845 and Meguiars Nxt Gen Tech Wax 2, which one is recommended?
Wax is old school. Though it gives good shine but durability ain't that good. Go with a sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond or Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection.

Quote:
2) Between Meguiars and Mothers clay bar, which one is better?
Used both. Meguiars worked better for me and I always suggest it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 18:10   #8419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Yes, I did it by hand. It took three days (one day each weekend). I'm planning to buy a budget machine polisher to apply polish and compounds so that the back breaking sessions come to an end. Do you have any suggestion?

Every time I get new valve caps, the fuel pump attendants misplace them. My regular petrol pump guy never misplaces it but if I go to other petrol bunks, they just misplace it.

Are you referring to the type which Madhu's use? I had seen them using sticker type weights during the tire change. I last two balancing were done at Advaith since I didn't have time to visit Madhus. I don't think these Hyundai guys stock the sticker type weights.
What u do is tighten the caps every time I fill air. Does not take long.

Yes I am referring to the sticker type weights used in madhus.
Old 23rd March 2014, 19:08   #8420
BHPian

Valve caps go missing after every visit to petrol pumps? Only way I found effective was to get of the car, be with the attendant filling air and then tip him at the end of it. I know it is a pain. Then it is certainly worth it. Cheers
Old 23rd March 2014, 19:20   #8421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Valve caps go missing after every visit to petrol pumps? Only way I found effective was to get of the car, be with the attendant filling air and then tip him at the end of it. I know it is a pain. Then it is certainly worth it. Cheers
Yes, getting out of car is a reasonable option to preserve the valve caps. And it is most definitely not a pain. We get out to fill petrol. Why not do the same for this?

And not all pumps fill air for free. I have seen only shell here in Bangalore. So you do give money for the air filling guy
Old 23rd March 2014, 23:57   #8422
Senior - BHPian

The effect of wax was decreasing and I needed to put on another coat. However I was too lazy and short of time. So I used Meguiar's Last Touch Quck Detail spray on the car. It really amped up the gloss and should provide some protection for a week atleast, after which I can put on another coat

Made a walkaround video, do have a look with HD:

SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 09:38   #8423
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks carrerastrax. Iam already using 845 and have a red swift. How is effort required to apply 915. Is it more thicker than 845? Also read that UC is harsh on soft paint. Any idea if paint on swift is soft?
915 is paste wax and the effort is the same as compared to NXT 2.0 and slightly more than 845. I use a slightly damp meguiars applicator pad and apply a super thin layer. When you apply thin, it comes off easy during buffing. 'Less is more' is what I've learnt from the Internet and experience as well.

You can go ahead with el lobo's suggestion of using Blackfire AFPP as well. Its definitely easier to apply than 915. Use the blackfire gloss enhancing polish prior to AFPP for a better bonding and durability of AFPP. While I use blackfire combo, 915 is my LSP. I just feel that the warmth and depth it brings out is better. Blackfire lasts long and gives very good protection, but it results in a very high level of gloss, which is not to my liking. 915 has some solvents and I wait for 2-3 days after AFPP, allowing it to cure completely. This is solely my experience. Maybe its just placebo effect and I'm not sure if I can say the difference if you show me two cars with and without 915 over AFPP :-)

I reckon you need to up your budget by 20-25 $ if you're going for Blackfire combo. All the best and do post pics after your sessions.

Last edited by carrerastrax : 24th March 2014 at 09:46.
Old 24th March 2014, 15:40   #8424

I have been following this thread for quite a while and I have a query regarding the new car I bought.
Since I took delivery in the evening, I was not able to do a really thorough run through of the exterior. Next day morning, out in the sun, I was able to make a few white (scratches?) or rather marks in some places. They do not really look like scratches, but I am not really sure what they are.
After calling the showroom I was told that they might be dried off wax and that they will easily go off once I wash the car.

Wash the car I did, but these small white lines still remain. Can someone tell me what it might possibly be and how to get rid of them?

Oh, by the way, the car is a Honda Amaze.
Old 24th March 2014, 19:10   #8425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious.mojave View Post
I have been following this thread for quite a while and I have a query regarding the new car I bought.
Since I took delivery in the evening, I was not able to do a really thorough run through of the exterior. Next day morning, out in the sun, I was able to make a few white (scratches?) or rather marks in some places. They do not really look like scratches, but I am not really sure what they are.
After calling the showroom I was told that they might be dried off wax and that they will easily go off once I wash the car.

Wash the car I did, but these small white lines still remain. Can someone tell me what it might possibly be and how to get rid of them?

Please Post Some Pictures Of The Same So we Can Better Understand The Situation !
NOTORIOUS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 20:48   #8426
Distinguished - BHPian

Read through many threads in the forum regarding detailing and polishing and waxing and what not!!!

All mentions and strongly recommends micro fibre cloth.
However, I have seen reputed car care centres using chamoise leather for wiping off the extra water droplets after the wash.

I myself use one for that matter and have found it to be very handy.

Now, since I did not find any mention of this in the forum, I am growing skeptical.
Is there any bad effects of using chamoise leather?
Old 24th March 2014, 21:06   #8427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I do use them for wiping after applying Meguiars Quick Detailer. They are absolutely non-abrasive and as gentle as microfiber on the paint though I don't use them for drying purpose. I use Meguiars or X-static water magnet towels and they outdo chamois in absorptive capacity.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 24th March 2014 at 21:09.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 22:08   #8428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
915 is paste wax and the effort is the same as compared to NXT 2.0 and slightly more than 845. I use a slightly damp meguiars applicator pad and apply a super thin layer. When you apply thin, it comes off easy during buffing. 'Less is more' is what I've learnt from the Internet and experience as well.

You can go ahead with el lobo's suggestion of using Blackfire AFPP as well. Its definitely easier to apply than 915. Use the blackfire gloss enhancing polish prior to AFPP for a better bonding and durability of AFPP. While I use blackfire combo, 915 is my LSP. I just feel that the warmth and depth it brings out is better. Blackfire lasts long and gives very good protection, but it results in a very high level of gloss, which is not to my liking. 915 has some solvents and I wait for 2-3 days after AFPP, allowing it to cure completely. This is solely my experience. Maybe its just placebo effect and I'm not sure if I can say the difference if you show me two cars with and without 915 over AFPP :-)

I reckon you need to up your budget by 20-25 $ if you're going for Blackfire combo. All the best and do post pics after your sessions.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have read a couple of reviews saying Blackfire polish is not good at medium to heavy swirls. So which compound is recommended for swirl removal if i go for Blackfire polish?
Old 28th March 2014, 21:25   #8429
BHPian

http://bringingbest.in/index.php?rou...&product_id=92

Came across this. Would like to know if it is worth it and can I go for it? I am new to detailing and this would be my first buy of detailing products if at all I go for it. I also enquired from Mr. Sanjay about the clay bars and they have Mothers 80 gm piece, which costs Rs.959/= each. I would like to know if I can get any other clay bar in Rs.500/= range. I feel, instead of investing 959/= for a clay bar, it makes sense to invest 1750/= and buy an Ultima Elastrofoam! Also, the above site explains how the Car Care Kit has to be used in 5 Steps; would like to know from the experts if I can go ahead with the same steps? Also, I remember reading about buying clay bars from Notorious; would like to get some details about it too.
Old 28th March 2014, 22:49   #8430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious.mojave View Post

Are the white lines crests or troughs? Do they peel off if you run your finger nail over them or do they catch your finger nail?
They can be anything from hack detailer induced scratches to TOGW (the other guys wax). BTW - did you fall for 'teflon coating'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Read through many threads in the forum regarding detailing and polishing and waxing and what not!!!

All mentions and strongly recommends micro fibre cloth.
However, I have seen reputed car care centres using chamoise leather for wiping off the extra water droplets after the wash.

I myself use one for that matter and have found it to be very handy.

Now, since I did not find any mention of this in the forum, I am growing skeptical.
I myself used to use a natural chamois, but switched to meg's waffle weave and then DC blue giant MF for drying.

The cons of chamois IMO are:

- costly - natural chamois costs a lot more than good quality MF
- High maintenance required - have to gently hand wash, stretch dry on a flat surface leaving some soapy water in the chamois
- gets firm over time as chamois loses it's natual oils
- difficult to get dirt out of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
http://bringingbest.in/index.php?rou...&product_id=92

Came across this. Would like to know if it is worth it and can I go for it? .
That kit is worth the money if you are game to put in some serious elbow grease this summer!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks