Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 18:15   #8536
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I recently got my car re-painted. The bodyshop used a rubbing compound followed by Glaze. Do I need to use a Wax for protection?
On pouring water, it forms droplets on the surface.
Old 8th May 2014, 19:25   #8537
Team-BHP Support

My friend got himself a Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 to touch up some minor scratches on his XUV 5OO. He had used a microfiber cloth to rub the compound on the scratches and says the results weren't satisfactory. What went wrong here?

We've ordered a pack of Meguiar's foam applicator pads in the meantime. After applying the compound and successfully removing the scratches, what should be the next step? What other compound should we apply to restore the gloss of the paint?
Old 8th May 2014, 19:51   #8538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
My friend got himself a Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 to touch up some minor scratches on his XUV 5OO. He had used a microfiber cloth to rub the compound on the scratches and says the results weren't satisfactory. What went wrong here?
I'm not sure if the XUV has hard paints like with VW and Skoda cars, but with a mildly aggressive compound like scratch x and when working by hand, there's not a lot you can expect to correct. If working by hand, Meguiars Ultimate Compound is much better.

Quote:
We've ordered a pack of Meguiar's foam applicator pads in the meantime. After applying the compound and successfully removing the scratches, what should be the next step? What other compound should we apply to restore the gloss of the paint?
First wash the area,decontaminate if need be (removing tar spots/Iron contamination etc),clay it, apply compound to remove minor scratches (Ultimate Compound),Polish (Meguiars Ultimate Polish for eg) and later apply a wax or sealant.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 16:45   #8539
BHPian

Guys,

Really need your help . Got myself a new black XUV (my first car) 15 days back and I am struggling to keep it in showroom condition. Could someone please suggest an answer to my queries - I have already went through a lot of detailing and car washing threads and videos over the past 1 week.

1. I have a orange color big swastik mark (sindoor + ghee - just like you see on many hanuman idols) on my bonnet and my steering (horn area) which I got while getting a puja done. It seems to have really stuck there and is really hard and won't go away with water. I have not tried shampoo/soap/diesel yet. Someone suggested I use WD 40 - Is that the right way to go about it? Can I also use WD 40 on the horn area

2. Even After washing with just plain water, I keep seeing those small dust spots. What should I do about it?

3. I have planned to buy most of the regular cleaning stuff from here itself and planning to buy Collinite 845 and Duragloss 105 from US (I am visiting there for 15 days end of month). I am listing my shopping cart - please suggest if these products make sense
a) Jopasu - large combo gift pack (duster, mini duster, glove and wipe) - Rs 1196
b) SONAX - clear view concentrate (1:100) - Rs. 86
c) ArmorAll glass cleaner - Rs. 449
d) ArmorAll - Bug remover - Rs. 600 (do I need this?)
e) ArmorAll - UltraShine Wash & Wax - Rs. 500
f) SONAX - Tyre care - Rs. 399
g) Meguiar - Natural shine and rubber protectant - Rs. 539

Total of Rs. 3769/=

4. Could you please recommend any good products for cleaning interiors of XUV 500 - dashboard, carpet

5. Could you please recommend an upholstery cleaner and a seat cleaner. I wanted to get a leather cleaner but the dealer told me seats are leatherite and not leather

6. Finally, Will it make sense to have a wax and wash product (ArmorAll - Ultrashine wash & wax) considering I will use wax anyway, could there be an adverse reaction by mixing this with collinite wax?

Many thanks for your patience and replies in advance. Hoping to clear the first hurdle (starting up)

Carvoyeur
Old 10th May 2014, 09:34   #8540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
ONR and water were used in the foamer, nothing else.
It is available locally and I have included the link to optimum India store.
One of my colleague may go to Germany next week, I am thinking of getting one from there. Is it worth spending the money?

After foaming, how to clean the car? With hose wash? Won't the foam get dried fast?

Last edited by MaxTorque : 10th May 2014 at 09:36.
Old 11th May 2014, 01:25   #8541
BHPian

Update -

Impatience took over me and I tried to find some remover locally. However, one of the shops for painting and denting said he could remove it with some chemical which wont affect the paint in any way.

I later found out he used a rubbing compound to remove the swastik mark. Although the mark was off after a while, I could see marks on the body (like kerosene on water). I was not sure what it was and I asked him to tkae care of it. He put some liquid polish on it and just used cotton cloth to rub the bonnet for a while and it was ok.

Now although the bonnet looks normal, I am worried if he messed up the paint. And is there anything I should do about it ?

Also, guys please could you answer some of queries from the earlier post (quoted)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvoyeur View Post
Guys,

Really need your help . Got myself a new black XUV (my first car) 15 days back and I am struggling to keep it in showroom condition. Could someone please suggest an answer to my queries - I have already went through a lot of detailing and car washing threads and videos over the past 1 week.

1. I have a orange color big swastik mark (sindoor + ghee - just like you see on many hanuman idols) on my bonnet and my steering (horn area) which I got while getting a puja done. It seems to have really stuck there and is really hard and won't go away with water. I have not tried shampoo/soap/diesel yet. Someone suggested I use WD 40 - Is that the right way to go about it? Can I also use WD 40 on the horn area

2. Even After washing with just plain water, I keep seeing those small dust spots. What should I do about it?

3. I have planned to buy most of the regular cleaning stuff from here itself and planning to buy Collinite 845 and Duragloss 105 from US (I am visiting there for 15 days end of month). I am listing my shopping cart - please suggest if these products make sense
a) Jopasu - large combo gift pack (duster, mini duster, glove and wipe) - Rs 1196

Total of Rs. 3769/=

4. Could you please recommend any good products for cleaning interiors of XUV 500 - dashboard, carpet

5. Could you please recommend an upholstery cleaner and a seat cleaner. I wanted to get a leather cleaner but the dealer told me seats are leatherite and not leather

6. Finally, Will it make sense to have a wax and wash product (ArmorAll - Ultrashine wash & wax) considering I will use wax anyway, could there be an adverse reaction by mixing this with collinite wax?

Many thanks for your patience and replies in advance. Hoping to clear the first hurdle (starting up)

Carvoyeur
Old 11th May 2014, 18:13   #8542
Senior - BHPian

Poorboys Black Hole + FourStar UPP + Scholls W6 Crystal Wax:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6240.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6294.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6318.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6329.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6330.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6325.jpg

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 11th May 2014 at 18:15.
guyfrmblr is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 19:01   #8543
BHPian

I am in the process of getting a new ride and am seriously looking at getting a black one this time. Am very skeptical if I can devote the time needed to maintain a black vehicle but looking at your pictures, I am tempted to let go of my apprehensions and go with black.
Old 11th May 2014, 19:27   #8544
BHPian

Here are the sad pictures of my 20 days old black XUV

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-011__1399816535_42.104.27.134.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-012__1399816571_42.104.27.134.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-013__1399816596_42.104.27.134.jpg

Thought of starting an ownership thread but need to get through the basics first. Cant have a poor start than this when it comes to having my first car.

Will really appreciate if some one can guide me through this. Have already reached out to Moshin (UltimateDetailerz) but unfortunately I live too far away to take my car to him in person
carvoyeur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 23:46   #8545
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Am very skeptical if I can devote the time needed to maintain a black vehicle but looking at your pictures, I am tempted to let go of my apprehensions and go with black.
I too am in the same boat but already have a blue Swift ZDi but hardly have any time to keep the car in nick position. What I do is, visit 3M as they do the job required to keep the car look almost new. I plan 1 or 2 visits a month. So even you can buy a black car and keep visiting 3M or any such detailers to take care of the beauty.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 02:23   #8546
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your Cheetah Xuv!

Quote:
Here are the sad pictures of my 20 days old black XUV
Person who did this to your car needs to be spanked. He basically used some terrible abrasive compound to cause more scratches then doing anything worthwhile.

Recently had shared a few PM with a fellow bhpian who needed advice on maintaining his new car. Below is a copy paste of it, which should help you get started. Also get rid of that ribbon on bonnet as it would cause scratches.

Car Detailing Basic.

First & foremost avoiding swirls & scratches is nearly impossible, what we actually do is use methods to prevent it.

Even if you follow all process & best of products; swirls cannot be avoided. There will always be a single dust particle stuck in your microfiber to cause swirls.

Now coming to ways to prevent it.

Part 1:

Most important, Never wash car on daily basis. Save water!

Step 1. Use Jopasu duster to get rid of all dust particles early morning. See to that you never bring it close to any water droplets as it would cause paraffin wax to smudge.

Step 2. Use a Quick detailer for that instant shine which most aren't able to achieve after washing car daily. Get Optimum No Rinse(ONR) which basically a concentrate with multiple usage.

Use ONR in 1:25(ONR:Water) ratio in a spray bottle. Mist surface and wipe it off using a micro fiber. Never ever use any other cloth/fabric for cleaning car surface, even for alloys.

The above two step forms your basic strategy to prevent swirls, scratches, water marks on daily basis. You could do it yourself within 20 mins in early morning fresh air & its a very good workout, better than gym.

Part 2:

Tackling swirls & scratches and getting that perfect shine to make your neighbor ENVY!

Step 1: Car shampoo

Get yourself a dedicated car shampoo like Meguiars NXT Car Wash or even better Meguiars Hyper Wash, the best I came across.

Step 2: Wiping off water

Get yourself a dedicated drying towel like Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel. Expensive but that's a quality product.

People do post chamois is good value for money but you risk causing swirls. Always use a micro fiber drying towel.

Step 3: Claying

Any car just out of showroom would have bonded contaminants. Run a clay bar and you would be amazed at bonded contaminants stuck in it which aren't visible to naked eye.

Get a Meguiars clay bar and use ONR as a clay bar lubricant in 1:64(ONR:Water) ratio. See ONR is a multipurpose concentrate.

Once you do claying, you would be amazed how smooth surface becomes. You would feel like its waxed. That's how smooth metal paint becomes.

Step 4: Compounding

This step helps is getting rid of all swirls & scratches. For enthusiast like us, Meguiars Ultimate Compound works out best. You can use it on a Foam Applicator Pad to remove swirls. But by hand you wont even achieve 25% of what Ultimate Compound is capable of. You need a rotary or a Dual action(DA) polisher to do justice to any rubbing compound.

Doing by hand would result in your hand aching for few days.

Step 5: Polish

Applying polish using a Foam Applicator Pad helps in reducing swirls and to give a surface prep for either wax or sealant. Polish have fillers which help in hiding swirls.

Meguiars Polish is a good alternative.

Step 6: Glass coating, sealant or wax

This last step to get that nice reflection and make your neighbor ENVY!

The best out there is glass coating like Modesta BC-05, CQuartz, Opticoat, etc. These are all professional products and require some serious training but offer best protection.

For enthusiast like us sealant or wax works best for us. Given our environmental condition sealant is any day better. The best VFM sealant is Four Star Ultimate Paint-Protection which you can obtain from Ultimate Detailerz Bangalore. Use a foam applicator pad to apply it and buff off using a micro fiber.

Quote:
1. I have a orange color big swastik mark (sindoor + ghee - just like you see on many hanuman idols) on my bonnet
Only a rubbing compound like Meguiars Ultimate Compound(UC) can help you get rid of it. Now since surface has been scratched by using a terrible abrasive compound, use Megs UC to fix it up.

Quote:
Good product to get rid of dust settled on car. Must buy.

Quote:
Another good product. Must buy.

Quote:
Good product. Does the job. Using it for long time.

Quote:
Not recommended. A simple cleaning using a Quick Detailer would do the job.

Quote:
Armor All is an average brand. I would rather prefer Collinite 845 or a sealant like Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection.

Quote:
You can never go wrong with Sonax products.

Quote:
Another superb product. Using it and would recommend it. It would help you in getting rid of any turmeric marks due to pooja on steering wheel.

Quote:
For interiors you need Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner. Use concentrate in 1:10(APC:Water) ratio and you can clean mats, fabric, roof lining, etc. Even leather. For plastic Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant is best.

Quote:
Leather cleaner & conditioner. Using it for leatherette seats on my Vento, superb product.

Quote:
Skip Armor All as its an average brand. Get a good quality shampoo like Meguiars Hyperwash, Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash or Amway car shampoo.

Coat your car with Collinite 845 or a sealant like Four Star Ultimate Protection and just QD using ONR to get that nice shine.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Let me know if you have any further.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 06:57   #8547
Senior - BHPian

@carvoyeur - Get rid of the bonnet ribbons asap!

Those act as abrasives too!
Old 12th May 2014, 10:48   #8548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Congrats on your Cheetah Xuv!

Step 3: Claying

Step 4: Compounding

You can use it on a Foam Applicator Pad to remove swirls. But by hand you wont even achieve 25% of what Ultimate Compound is capable of. You need a rotary or a Dual action(DA) polisher to do justice to any rubbing compound.

Step 5: Polish
Applying polish using a Foam Applicator Pad helps in reducing swirls and to give a surface prep for either wax or sealant. Polish have fillers which help in hiding swirls.

Step 6: Glass coating, sealant or wax

This last step to get that nice reflection and make your neighbor ENVY!

The best out there is glass coating like Modesta BC-05, CQuartz, Opticoat, etc. These are all professional products and require some serious training but offer best protection.

Only a rubbing compound like Meguiars Ultimate Compound(UC) can help you get rid of it. Now since surface has been scratched by using a terrible abrasive compound, use Megs UC to fix it up.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Let me know if you have any further.
Thanks for such a detailed response El lobo. I wonder where I would go to if I had not joined TBHP at the right time . Have some follow up questions, pardon me if I am repeating something but I just want to be very sure:

Step 3 and 4. Claying and compounding - Would it make sense to do it on a new car as well? In one of the flowcharts in this thread from autogeek, it said if the paint is in good condition you dont need to do compounding.

Would it make sense to first get it done from a pro detailer and then buy the rotary/DA polisher or should I spend time learning and buying the equipment right away.

Step 6. Glass coating, sealant or wax - From what I understood, I would polish and then use a sealant like UPP. Where does glass coating fit in between? Again, does it make sense to get one of those products you suggested or should I wait and learn before buying those.

Which of these steps, if not done perfectly, can cause irreversible damage to the paint?

and Lastly, for fixing up the mess you suggested I use Megs UC but I would need rotary/DA to use it effectively? Would I just use UC on the affected area or the entire car (related to questions on step 3 and 4)?

Thanks
Carvoyeur
carvoyeur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 11:34   #8549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
@carvoyeur - Get rid of the bonnet ribbons asap!

Those act as abrasives too!
Bonnet ribbons are a must off immediately. These are not of high quality and if not removed would cause it to loose color when in touch with water (or rains) and the same when dried (especially under sun) would leave colour on the metal touching it below.
I have seen numerous cases by just flipping over the ribbon but most people keep it for that new car feel.
Get it removed ASAP
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 12:18   #8550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Recently had shared a few PM with a fellow bhpian who needed advice on maintaining his new car. Below is a copy paste of it, which should help you get started.
Dude, thank you so much for all the steps you’ve mentioned. Pretty much shows you know your stuff and the detailing process inside out.

Quote:
Use ONR in 1:25(ONR:Water) ratio in a spray bottle. Mist surface and wipe it off using a micro fiber. Never ever use any other cloth/fabric for cleaning car surface, even for alloys.

The above two step forms your basic strategy to prevent swirls, scratches, water marks on daily basis. You could do it yourself within 20 mins in early morning fresh air & its a very good workout, better than gym.
Very interesting. I had never thought of this one all this while. Three of us colleagues do car-pooling and we take turns twice a week. When it is my turn, what I usually do is to dust the car every day morn using the Jopasu duster. It takes care of the dust but during winter mornings, I have noticed that the dust has a moist feeling (due to the condensed water) and the duster doesn’t do a good job.

I wash my car once a week. If I were to switch to the ONR trick you had mentioned, perhaps I can reduce the frequency of washes to maybe once in 2 weeks? I use Amway’s car wash concentrate (half a capful in half a bucket of water), a no-name wash mitt purchased from eBay (replaced with a Meguiar’s MF wash mitt last week) and a Meguiar’s MF water magnet drying towel. The towel does wonders sucking the water from the surfaces like a blotting paper! Wonderful water absorbing capability compared to the regular MF towels.

Thank you for the steps you have detailed once again!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th May 2014 at 12:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks