Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 12:52   #8671
Team-BHP Support

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Using a Rotary or a DA with UC would give much better results. Also UC with hand applicator requires a lot of elbow grease. If small sections then hand application will work, make sure you spray the applicator with a QD after every pass. Large panels then use the DA.
Amarendranath, do try to use full forms and not acronyms. It becomes quite difficult for new guys into detailing to follow and may scare them away.

DA = Dual Action polisher. It's a machine used for polishing.
UC = Ultimate Compound from Meguiars. This is a rubbing compound. We apply it on the DA sponge pad and use it for rubbing. It can also be applied by hand but needs a lot of effort.
QD = Quick detailer spray. This is a spray used after detailing to clean the polish area and is used generally after polishing.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 08:45   #8672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Amarendranath, do try to use full forms and not acronyms. It becomes quite difficult for new guys into detailing to follow and may scare them away.

My bad! Will type in full words so that everyone can understand. Adding one more elaboration.

LC- Lake country, a brand which manufactures polishing pads.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 10:01   #8673
BHPian

Guys,

Just to update all, I applied the product "Rain X" on my windshield and rear glass. It has a brilliant effect. Today when I was driving down to work and it was pouring heavily, I saw the effect. Water just forms small droplets and cascades down. All cars next to me were using wipers furiously for visibility and here I was using it after large intervals. Good product and fantastic results.
kARTIK IYER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 12:35   #8674
Senior - BHPian

Lots of unidentified grimes were present on the bumper due to the recent highway runs in rains. I thought the marks will go after a wash but it never went. I tried the Auto Finesse Citrus Power this morning. The end results can be seen in the pics.

The pic taken after the shampoo wash:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6718.jpg

Sprayed and allowed it to dwell for sometime. Lightly agitated with a sponge:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6747.jpg

After effects:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6751.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6752.jpg

Most of the marks have disappeared but still few really stubborn marks are present. Guess Tar X or something similar should remove them. I had applied Sonax BSD few weeks back. To check the claimed LSP safe feature, I just tested water beading after the application. The crazy water beading property of BSD was present.
guyfrmblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 16:55   #8675
Senior - BHPian

With the monsoons (finally!) entering Bengal, it sometimes drizzles, sometimes pours and is seldom dry in Kolkata.

As the rains started - The slushy road film, tire spray and rain on my windshield (which was uncoated) - made a mess of things whenever the wipers were on and started leaving visible marks which were both ugly and dangerous (reduced visibility at night).

So then I gave a long hard look to the Carpro Flyby30 kit which I had got like 6-7 months back but was yet to use, and finally decided that enough was enough - its windshield time now!

I have the advantage of working in a covered parking, so even though its drizzling outside, proceeded to prep and coat the windshield today (Saturday 21/6) itself.
  • First used UWW (Ultima Waterless Wash) and a plain microfiber to remove the dirt and grime.
    The hideous wiper streaks looked UGLY!
  • Opened up the carpro flyby30 kit to find Ceriglass polish, eraser, flyby30, couple of small suede applicator mfs, a slightly bigger suede mf, 1 rectangular ceriglass polish applicator, 1 square flyby30 applicator block.
  • Divided (logically) the windshield in 3 parts for polishing and coating.
  • Then brought out the DAS 6 pro + 5" backing plate, and put on the carpro glass rayon polishing pad on it.
  • Put 4 drops (peanut sizes) of ceriglass on that pad, 1 spray of distilled water on the pad, and another spray on the windshield. Then got going to polish glass for the first time in my life.
  • To my relief , it was not difficult at all - although I had to be conscious at all time not to apply too much pressure or to let the DA stay at one place for too long.
    Finished the first pass with speed 3, sprayed 1 more time on the windshield, and finished another pass at speed 4.
    Sprayed with lots of water, and wiped clean with MF to fine to the bird drop etchings, wiper marks et all GONE !!
  • Repeated the above twice more to cover the entire windshield and polished it clean.
  • Rinsed and wiped with a waffle weave mf.
  • Then used Eraser to finely mist the windshield and wiped with a fresh MF to remove the polishing oils.

Again let the glass dry for sometime.
  • Then wrapped the small suede applicator pad over the square applicator block, put 10-12 drops of Flyby30 on it, and got going to coat 1/3rd of the windshield in a cross hatch pattern (as suggested).
    Waited for 1-2 mins, then wiped off with the supplied suede MF cloth.
  • Repeated the same for the other 2/3rd of the windshield.
  • Then brought out my heat gun and dried the windshield for 2-3 mins at medium heat.
  • Also cleaned the wiper blades and applied Flyby30 to them.

Now the wait begins for 12 hours minimum before I can see the actual results!

Shall post the pics as soon as I capture any !

Some WIP pictures:

Look at the unsightly wiper marks!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1.jpg

After polishing was completed

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-2.jpg

Done with applying Flyby30

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-3.jpg

Tools used - Kestrel DAS 6 power+ with 5" backing plate holding a carpro glass rayon pad, B&D heat gun, and spray bottle containing plain distilled water (ignore the 11% IPA sticker).

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-4.jpg

Contents of the Flyby30 kit

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-5.jpg
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 21:38   #8676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Then brought out my heat gun and dried the windshield for 2-3 mins at medium heat.

That thing is made for stripping paint! I would not use it on any part of a car, on any setting, except, perhaps for denting/repair work.
Old 21st June 2014, 22:24   #8677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

That thing is made for stripping paint! I would not use it on any part of a car, on any setting, except, perhaps for denting/repair work.
The directions on the bottle of flyby30 states - 'heat up the glass to 80 C for 5 min using IR light or heat gun'.
It's a completely safe thing to do as I had read in numerous forum posts. No different results in my case either.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 23:16   #8678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The directions on the bottle of flyby30 states - 'heat up the glass to 80 C for 5 min using IR light or heat gun'.
Wow.

Well, OK, I stand corrected. You were following the instructions.

It would scare me, because I have burnt the surface of wood when paint-stripping with one of those things.

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st June 2014 at 23:17.
Old 22nd June 2014, 22:03   #8679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Now the wait begins for 12 hours minimum before I can see the actual results!

Shall post the pics as soon as I capture any !
Let the Flyby30 cure for 24 hrs before I started washing my car this noon, and this was after the first rinse:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140622_130548.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140622_130553.jpg

No rainfall today, so did not get a chance to see any actual 'fly by' effect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wow.

Well, OK, I stand corrected. You were following the instructions.

It would scare me, because I have burnt the surface of wood when paint-stripping with one of those things.

~
Not a problem sir, I do appreciate your concern - guess you can try some glass coating yourself - I have heard Chennai monsoons are as torrential as Bengal ones!

Also go to try the Auto Finesse Citrus Power bug n grime remover today for the first time.

Shot of the bottle as it was received:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140622_123828.jpg

Few sprays and I realized that the supplied spray head was rubbish. So switched to my robust adjustable Rs 35 'kisan agro' nozzle (and that price is for the spray head and a very good quality plastic bottle - beat that!).

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140622_124714.jpg

I sprayed merrily on the entire car which was covered with caked dust, mud and sand.

Before spraying:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140622_123912.jpg

Let it dwell for 5 minutes and then pressure rinsed - most of the dirt just washed away, and pieces of muck fell off like they were being pushed off!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140622_130516.jpg

No more pics - it's the same wash routine after that - 2BM wash with Eagle 1->pressure rinse->sheeting-> drying with DC blue giant

I think the Citrus power is a VERY good pre wash liquid, but they better improve the spray nozzle - I even wasted some of the product when it leaked!
30% of the liter bottle (maybe 25% if I had not wasted some) for a small car like i10 hurts penny pincher DIY guys like me, even when I got it after some discount.
Whether it suits pros or not - I leave it for them to comment.

Last edited by blackasta : 22nd June 2014 at 22:25.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 22:38   #8680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
guess you can try some glass coating yourself - I have heard Chennai monsoons are as torrential as Bengal ones!
I used to use one in London (RainX, maybe, not sure now) and to be honest I didn't think it made that much difference. However, that was ten years ago now, and coating technologies for both glass and paint have changed and advanced.

What worries me about these things is that they are made to be tough, and if one is not happy with them, then no amount of normal polishing will get it off again until it reaches the end of its life. It's good to read reviews: keep us informed!
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:15   #8681
BHPian

Whoa! I washed my car for the first time yesterday (six month old, don't bring out the staves and pitchforks guys, please ) as monsoon has started in Kolkata, and my red Polo wasn't looking its usual come-ride-with-me.

I used plenty of water and half a bottle of Johnson's no more tears baby shampoo (80/- a bottle, about 50/- worth used) on all parts of the car (windshield, body, bumpers, mudflaps etc) in a top-down aproach, and I was pretty satisfied with the results.

Then I came by this thread. I see plenty of specialty cleaning fluids, clay, fibre, equipment and whatsnots at work.

My question is, will baby shampoo damage the car color/plastic blackness? The water I used is pretty soft, hence that is not a concern.

Also, I have got a few unidentified blotches on the windshield which did not go away after the wash. I'll search the forums for this, but if anyone can suggest any quick fix for this it'd be great.
Old 24th June 2014, 09:30   #8682
Senior - BHPian

baby shampoo should not hurt, but being very mild, probably shall not get lift the dirt n scum from your paint.
Old 24th June 2014, 18:04   #8683
BHPian

I forgot to post this earlier, But i had recently bought a SCHOLL's product. A wax ( W6) to be precise.The surface of the car was thoroughly prepared before applying the wax. However i was not satisfied with the protection of the product( lasted only 15days) and wrote to them and upload the video. I get a response and something that can be called as the best customer service! Scholls guys were very generous and have addressed and listened to my problem. They were patient enough to listen to my process and never did they show the arrogance of being one of the top brands. As a gesture they sent me samples of two of their most expensive waxes. I may be the first person in India to try these waxes. The samples reached India within two days from Germany. Scholls is a brand that is truly concerned and cares of lot about its customers. Scholls have earned a true and a very loyal fan! The way they handled my concern was brilliant. All the detailing enthusiasts please look at Scholl's products, i assure you that you wont be disappointed.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-photo-51.jpg

Tim, representative from Scholl's Germany had to say that Using duster daily or the ONR once a week might have interfered with the protection. Also parking in the sun and under the trees might have been another reason he says. He has escalated the same to the technical team and hopefully an improved version will be out soon.
Amarendranath is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 12:07   #8684

Mod Note : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on this board.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2014 at 15:41.
satishkc is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th June 2014, 12:33   #8685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
As a gesture they sent me samples of two of their most expensive waxes.
Unbelievable! Good to know that Scholl Concepts stand by their brand. The very fact that they interacted with you speaks volumes, most companies won't even bother. Those waxes you got for free, retail over 100 pounds each. Are those panel pots? Please share detailed reviews of both the waxes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks