Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:40   #8791
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

How do we remove dried up and hard-to-remove bird droppings from external areas? Just shampoo will do?
Old 24th August 2014, 06:38   #8792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harihs_dr View Post
I am open to any suggestions.
Since you're open to suggestions...
If I were you, I would stay off from products like shampoo + wax or all in ones like compound + polish + wax + sealant kind of products (worst being shampoo + wax); reason being simple, if something is supposed to do its job, I would expect it to do that job perfect. No additional. As a shampoo, it's supposed to...
- Clean the dirt - It has to
- Wax - My question will be why?
Honestly speaking, I would go even products like 3M or Sonax car shampoo as long as this product should do 100% perfect what it should be doing. Anyway, that's my school of thought.

Coming back to Black Diamond, I understand that its Polish + sealant; which means, you really don't need to wax. Again, my school of thought always goes that, wax is better than sealant. Though I've tested with Opti seal several times, I don't find it convincing or may be I don't know the right way to test. Either case, I haven't found sealant superior to wax except that sealant is easier to apply. Since it has got sealant properties, I wouldn't doubt that it will leave a rich look after applying & frankly speaking, I would question, Do I need to apply any wax in the first place

To answer you, if your concern is, if the sealant polymer of BFWD would bond with "any" wax or only "specific" waxes...that is something, I've to check myself as I only take every "honest" review with a pinch of salt. I would take this as an opportunity to test it myself with & without wax surfaces & see how long each of them lasts. Either case, no harm applying the wax except for the bonding between sealant polymer & wax surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
How do we remove dried up and hard-to-remove bird droppings from external areas? Just shampoo will do?
Two things here, from my little experience of having super bird drop issue that is going on for last several months...

Direct paint surface or the surface that doesn't have wax...
1. Hard to remove using regular car shampoo + have to keep scrubbing & scrubbing using MF wash mitt which certainly leaves damaged paint
2. If the droppings are removed after an hour on a sunny day, little easier to remove with paint damage
3. If the droppings are removed within minutes/immediately, easy to remove + no paint damage

Waxed paint surface...
1. Just two scrub with wash mitt & the surface becomes clean with no paint damage
2. Be it one minute, one hour, one day or even one week (have checked all these), its same as #1; absolutely no damage to the paint & easy to clean also. BTW, I use Collinite 815 liquid wax; I'm not propagandizing to use it, but to state this is the wax I use to live with point #2

Last edited by aargee : 24th August 2014 at 06:39.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 08:14   #8793
Distinguished - BHPian

aargee, small correction. Black fire wet diamond all finish paint protection is not polish plus sealant. It is just a pure sealant and a strong one at that
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 09:00   #8794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
aargee, small correction. Black fire wet diamond all finish paint protection is not polish plus sealant. It is just a pure sealant and a strong one at that
Oh!! shoots really??? Then he shouldn't even be using this in the first place!! Then no need for wax also.

Last edited by aargee : 24th August 2014 at 09:02.
Old 24th August 2014, 09:41   #8795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Oh!! shoots really??? Then he shouldn't even be using this in the first place!! Then no need for wax also.
Why should he not use it?
And any wax can be used over Black Fire Wet Diamond like collinite, megs yellow wax etc. Provided you have applied 2 layers of BFWD with 12 hours between layers

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th August 2014 at 09:48. Reason: no acronyms. Thanks.
Old 24th August 2014, 11:18   #8796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harihs_dr View Post
What wax can be used with blackfire wet diamond all finish paint protection.
I have used collinite 915 over blackfire and I've noticed the following.

1. Collinite takes away majority of the slickness left behind by blackfire if applied within a day (even after the recommended 8 hour cure time of blackfire sealant).

2. Applying after 2-3 days is a better option as the sealant gets more time to cure. However, some slickness is still gone after applying collinite. Blackfire takes atleast a couple of days to fully cure. And collinite has cleaners/solvents that cleans the previous layers.

3. There's no need for any wax immediately after blackfire. While I like warmth of the shine left behind by collinite in comparison to blackfire, it's counter productive to use both together - Less is more. I use collinite as a top up wax every month or two. And full detail every six months. Because of these regular top up routines, I've been unable to verify the tell tale signs of durability - beading sheeting etc. But I have a feeling that it's reduced as well.

4. I've read that blackfire works well with its midnight sun carnauba wax. But I've not tried it as its expensive and I didn't see the investment value on a daily drive.

Hope it helps. Please note that these observations are from my personal experiences. Has anyone else witnessed the same patterns/results?
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 12:58   #8797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why should he not use it?
One main reason...SEALANT. Sealant locks the paint & protects it, which is the same work of wax. This is my understanding about a sealant.
Old 24th August 2014, 14:15   #8798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One main reason...SEALANT. Sealant locks the paint & protects it, which is the same work of wax. This is my understanding about a sealant.
Quite right. Both are used as LSP. People do a wax over sealant just for additional shine and some extra peace of mind. Otherwise sealant itself is good enough. I am going to do a Optimum car wax over Poorboy Ex-p sealant next month just to see how it fares.
Old 24th August 2014, 15:20   #8799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
People do a wax over sealant just for additional shine and some extra peace of mind
I stopped simply because I find sealant is not so effective + way too expensive while a simple, natural, cost effective carnauba wax does the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I am going to do a Optimum car wax over Poorboy Ex-p sealant next month just to see how it fares.
Ok, but, the below is one of THE BEST post, please don't ignore it
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
I have used collinite...from my personal experiences. Has anyone else witnessed the same patterns/results?
Old 24th August 2014, 15:33   #8800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stopped simply because I find sealant is not so effective + way too expensive while a simple, natural, cost effective carnauba wax does the same

Ok, but, the below is one of THE BEST post, please don't ignore it
Not true. As per my research sealants and waxes are almost at the same price band. Of course which brand matters. Most detailers recommend and use sealants cos they are more durable than waxes.

Sorry didn't get the second part. Are you saying Collinite is the best? Can't comment as I haven't used it yet. However, collinite 845 which is mostly used and appreciated by masses is more of a sealant than wax.

I have chosen Optimum car wax cos it's a spray wax so its easy to use after doing a lot of elbow grease with glazes and sealant. Plus it's got awesome reviews all over the world and lasts long.
Old 24th August 2014, 17:18   #8801
BHPian

My humble attempt at adding some bling

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-10492110_10153079697538625_8422394894298834591_n.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-10511220_10153079939873625_9066701517459872950_n.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-10577026_10153079939823625_4472935167662007942_n.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-10593049_10153079697263625_3048876961326637715_n.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-10635898_10153079697183625_6366719601858345589_n.jpg

Last edited by dionysus : 24th August 2014 at 17:19. Reason: formating
dionysus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 17:32   #8802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not entirely true. Although they are on the costlier side, good sealants are more resistant to elements than waxes. The best sealant out there,IMHO, - Ultima Paint Guard Plus- lasts for 3 months easily and costs less than a hundred bucks for a application.

Besides life, ease of application and removal is one of the plus points of good sealants.

I am in no way questioning your choice of using a wax. Just mentioned the facts .To each his own.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 24th August 2014 at 17:34.
Old 24th August 2014, 20:00   #8803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not entirely...less than a hundred bucks for a application
Been using Optimum Sealant for over 2+ years now & didn't find it anyway superior to Collinite 815 wax

Quote:
Besides life, ease of application and removal is one of the plus points of good sealants
Without a doubt
Old 25th August 2014, 11:59   #8804
BHPian

Quote:
Been using Optimum Sealant for over 2+ years now & didn't find it anyway superior to Collinite 815 wax

Without a doubt
Quote:
Since you're open to suggestions...
If I were you, I would stay off from products like shampoo + wax or all in ones like compound + polish + wax + sealant kind of products (worst being shampoo + wax); reason being simple, if something is supposed to do its job, I would expect it to do that job perfect. No additional. As a shampoo, it's supposed to...
- Clean the dirt - It has to
- Wax - My question will be why?
Honestly speaking, I would go even products like 3M or Sonax car shampoo as long as this product should do 100% perfect what it should be doing. Anyway, that's my school of thought.

Coming back to Black Diamond, I understand that its Polish + sealant; which means, you really don't need to wax. Again, my school of thought always goes that, wax is better than sealant. Though I've tested with Opti seal several times, I don't find it convincing or may be I don't know the right way to test. Either case, I haven't found sealant superior to wax except that sealant is easier to apply. Since it has got sealant properties, I wouldn't doubt that it will leave a rich look after applying & frankly speaking, I would question, Do I need to apply any wax in the first place

To answer you, if your concern is, if the sealant polymer of BFWD would bond with "any" wax or only "specific" waxes...that is something, I've to check myself as I only take every "honest" review with a pinch of salt. I would take this as an opportunity to test it myself with & without wax surfaces & see how long each of them lasts. Either case, no harm applying the wax except for the bonding between sealant polymer & wax surface.

Two things here, from my little experience of having super bird drop issue that is going on for last several months...

Direct paint surface or the surface that doesn't have wax...
1. Hard to remove using regular car shampoo + have to keep scrubbing & scrubbing using MF wash mitt which certainly leaves damaged paint
2. If the droppings are removed after an hour on a sunny day, little easier to remove with paint damage
3. If the droppings are removed within minutes/immediately, easy to remove + no paint damage

Waxed paint surface...
1. Just two scrub with wash mitt & the surface becomes clean with no paint damage
2. Be it one minute, one hour, one day or even one week (have checked all these), its same as #1; absolutely no damage to the paint & easy to clean also. BTW, I use Collinite 815 liquid wax; I'm not propagandizing to use it, but to state this is the wax I use to live with point #2
argee Sir,following your tip, I put some lukewarm water on the dropping area, left for one hour and wiped clean(without rubbing) and it has vanished without any trace or scratches. Did not use Shampoo
Thanks

Last edited by virgopal : 25th August 2014 at 12:00. Reason: corrected
Old 25th August 2014, 13:23   #8805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
I put some lukewarm water on the dropping area, left for one hour and wiped clean(without rubbing) and it has vanished without any trace or scratches
Sir, please get some rinseless wash concentrate like ONR or Ultima (prefer this) as quick detailer or anything of your choice. Keep it handy on a sprayer bottler & use it, you don't have to waster even a minute. It cleanses in less than a minute. You can also use the same QD to keep the vehicle shine like new almost everyday. Also saves plenty of time avoiding to wash & detail every weekend or two. Last but not the least, saves money.

These are mine
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1827.jpg

Last edited by aargee : 25th August 2014 at 13:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks