Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:08   #8896
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
Sprayed Oblitarate Tar Remover on the tar spots and with in 1-2 minutes the hard tar spots started dissolving wiped off the surface with dry MF cloth and it leaves behind clean doors and lower body parts of my White Swift.

As mentioned by other BHPians also that it smells very bad but it does its job very well, happy with the purchase and end result.

I have never used any other Tar remover so can't compare it with any other similar product.

Need an advice from experts: Is it safe to use this product after every 3 months?
I would suggest you wash the area with soap water once you have wiped it off. This is to ensure that any residue is removed thoroughly.

Use it when you see sufficient tar build up to warrant the use of this product. It will strip off LSP so you will have to apply a sealant or a wax whenever you use this product. One more reason why you should wash the residue with soap water
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:33   #8897
BHPian

This is the result of Mag UP and Mag black wax on my 1.8 years old Figo!
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140922_092019.jpg  

StepUP! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:27   #8898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I would suggest you wash the area with soap water once you have wiped it off. This is to ensure that any residue is removed thoroughly.
As the detailing session is due for next week, I have already cleaned the doors with UWW. Do I still need to do soap water cleaning process?
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:51   #8899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
As the detailing session is due for next week, I have already cleaned the doors with UWW. Do I still need to do soap water cleaning process?
I would suggest you give a soap wash. I dont know the efficacy of the UWWP on strong tar removal solvents.Experts here can comment on it. Whole point is to ensure that the tar remover residue has been completely removed from the paint. If you have ensured that (in whichever way convenient)its sufficient .
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:43   #8900
Senior - BHPian

Guys
pls recommend a good product that I can keep handy to remove the scratch marks that come out of minor brushes with other vehicles where typically the other vehicle's paint sticks on to your vehicles ?

thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:28   #8901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
pls recommend a good product that I can keep handy to remove the scratch marks that come out of minor brushes with other vehicles where typically the other vehicle's paint sticks on to your vehicles ?

thanks
http://www.ebay.in/itm/MEGUIARS-SCRA...32cc49c&_uhb=1

Get a foam applicator and a couple of micro fibres and you should be good to go
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:56   #8902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You'll need a clay bar to remove paint transfer from other's cars.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 15:02   #8903
Senior - BHPian

Guys
also need advice on the below patch created by some tree droppings during my week long trip to Kerala. Given the Silver colour and the dust, i did not notice it till recently. Even now its visible only from an angle. What kind of DIY solution is available to remove this ? As of now I have just tried washing it off with a mild soap solution but it did not work

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img2014092200024.jpg  

Old 24th September 2014, 15:27   #8904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys
also need advice on the below patch created by some tree droppings during my week long trip to Kerala. Given the Silver colour and the dust, i did not notice it till recently. Even now its visible only from an angle. What kind of DIY solution is available to remove this ? As of now I have just tried washing it off with a mild soap solution but it did not work

Thanks again

Looks like its etched into paint. Compounding/Polishing the area might level it but that area has lost clear coat.
Old 24th September 2014, 16:19   #8905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Looks like its etched into paint. Compounding/Polishing the area might level it but that area has lost clear coat.
Yes it looks like that in the photo. In real, It is a slightly protruding layer of thick fluid that has dried up on the car paint. It looks as if some ripened fruit fell on the bonnet or dropped by a bird with good aim, the fruit broke and dropped all its contents on the car. I am just wondering if any of the products that act on tree sap/bird droppings etc can work here ?
Old 24th September 2014, 17:02   #8906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it looks like that in the photo. In real, It is a slightly protruding layer of thick fluid that has dried up on the car paint. It looks as if some ripened fruit fell on the bonnet or dropped by a bird with good aim, the fruit broke and dropped all its contents on the car. I am just wondering if any of the products that act on tree sap/bird droppings etc can work here ?
If it is protruding, spray WD40 and see if it comes off. Otherwise use clay on the surface, it should pull out the bonded stuff.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 19:45   #8907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
If it is protruding, spray WD40 and see if it comes off. Otherwise use clay on the surface, it should pull out the bonded stuff.
Does WD40 have any harmful effect on paint in case there is a spray on to the normal areas ? Also will Zorrik 88 work ? I have this handy at home
Old 24th September 2014, 21:40   #8908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does WD40 have any harmful effect on paint in case there is a spray on to the normal areas ? Also will Zorrik 88 work ? I have this handy at home
Yes zorrik also works. Try it
Old 25th September 2014, 13:20   #8909
BHPian

Owning a semi-large sedan in Dark colours & driving around in Bangalore, you just can't escape minor scrapes & scratches. It is so strange that I would have parked my car somewhere in a safe area & after few hours,somehow a scratch would show up! In my driving of 10 years in US, I never ever had a scratch of any sort on my cars. Driving around in Bangalore is insane & my Fluidic Verna has picked minor battle scars.!

Being a little too vain about having minor scratches on my car & that too on a dark colour, I wanted to see what could be done about it. More than the looks, for me, it was the metal being exposed & danger of rust. One thing was to go to the Hyundai bodyshop & get some touch-up paint applied on these minor scratches. But either I wouldn't have time to go or the bodyshop sometimes wouldn't have the colour mixed already.

I remembered that when I was in US, my local Hyundai dealer used to sell Touch-Up paint pens for Hyundai cars. I called them up & enquired them about my specific colour & they had a pen in stock. So, I got it via a friend who was coming from US.

It cost me about $9.16 & is a genuine Hyundai part. It comes with a brush (like those nail polist ones) & also has a Roller Ball applicator tip. For larger areas, you can use the brush but for fine application, you can use the pen which just glides over.

Does it blend well? Well, no. You can always see that it has been brushed over. But at least, I don't have to worry about the metal being exposed etc. Mind you, it's only for those minor scratches. I wish Hyundai sold them here.

I know many here scoff at these types of Jugaad treatments. But it has been a struggle to avoid these minor scratches the 2-wheelers impose on my cars, I had to resort to this :/
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20140903wa0000.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20140903wa0001.jpg  

Old 27th September 2014, 14:59   #8910
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used IPA wipes to clean the paint and remove oils?
e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Isopropyl-Alco.../dp/B006Q2KN7G

I know there are special products (e.g. Carpro Eraser), but they are expensive and in liquid form.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks