Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 20:18   #8956
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
You need to get a roll of 3M Automotive Double sided tape and stick it on the badges like I've done below

Pretty sure no one will ever be able to pull the badges off if you use 3M tape. Fevi Quik is a very bad idea which will leave runs and look bad if you have a dark coloured car.
Where to get small quantities of this tape?
Old 17th November 2014, 21:46   #8957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Where to get small quantities of this tape?
Try Ebay - a roll won't break the bank and you can use it for various other odd jobs.
Old 18th November 2014, 03:01   #8958
Senior - BHPian

Any tips on how to touch up small chips on door edges, I have the original factory touch up paint.
Old 21st November 2014, 12:14   #8959

Can some of you experienced car owners or experts confirm if Paint Sealant and Underbody treatment is actually required for a brand new car? I have booked the new Swift ZXi, getting the delivery tomorrow . I have mixed opinions from people on this one.
Old 21st November 2014, 12:34   #8960

Can some of you experienced car owners / experts please confirm if a Paint Sealant and an underbody treatment is a good to do thing on a brand new car (Swift ZXi, getting the delivery tomorrow morning)? I have had mixed opinions from people on this one and now super confused . I am buying a car for the first time so relatively inexperienced around this.

Also, if it isn't an immediate requirement to get this done for a car, what is the recommended timeframe that I do this for the car? I am really keen on keeping the car super clean and shiny for as long as possible
Old 21st November 2014, 13:12   #8961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridiv View Post
Can some of you experienced car owners or experts confirm if Paint Sealant and Underbody treatment is actually required for a brand new car? I have booked the new Swift ZXi, getting the delivery tomorrow . I have mixed opinions from people on this one.
A paint sealant is good to have and even better if it is done on a brand new car. The underbody coating is not required for at least another 2 years as today cars come with a basic coating for the underbody.

Congrats on the new car and drive safe.

Feel free to call me anytime if you want to discuss how a sealant helps and the steps to maintain it as well. I am also based in Bangalore. Nine nine eight zero five one zero tripple seven.

Last edited by Scorpioman : 21st November 2014 at 13:32.
Old 21st November 2014, 16:14   #8962
BHPian

Is there any place to get cquartz treatment in Cochin? I am considering 3M paint protection for my brand new XUV, but guess Cquartz is better and long lasting than the 3M paint protection. Also are there any good detailers in Cochin apart from 3M guys to get the paint protection (not Cquartz)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinks_69 View Post
…The following steps are followed by me and might be of help :
Dusting : Regular dusting the dry car with Jopasu duster
Washing : Once a week/fortnight with Meguiars NXT with soft mitt. If car is not too dirty, I use Optimum No Rinse once in a while. For glass cleaning, Meguiars Glass Cleaner is very handy and for tyre I have used only Meg's Tyre Foam to give a clear black look.
Clay : Opti Eraser with ONR as a quick detailer
Polish : I use Meg Ultimate Polish and the results are good.
Sealant cum Wax: I have used both Ultima Paint Guard Plus and Collinite 845. Both lasts around two to three months.
I am completely new to this wash/wax/detail cycle. The following is what I am thinking about doing.
Normal dusting, whenever possible: I am getting the Jopasu combo set for this.
Waterless wash, once every one/two week: Ultima WWC, or Proklear RAW extreme.
Wash, once every one/two month: Either Meguiar NXT generation car shampoo or Sonus gloss shampoo. Or should I go for Formula 1 - Carnauba Wash & Wax Shampoo?
Instead of clay, use Ultima elastoform, once in three/six months. And Polish & Wax, once in three/six months.
Please let me know if I understood it correctly, and let me know if these are the best products available in the market.
Old 22nd November 2014, 08:00   #8963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Normal dusting, whenever possible: I am getting the Jopasu combo set for this.
Do it on a daily basis and use only the same when the car is dusty and free from moisture. Never dust on a wet/soiled surface.

Quote:
Waterless wash, once every one/two week: Ultima WWC, or Proklear RAW extreme.
On a budget? Go for Proklear, its a great VFM product. Never tried UWWC, but the reviews are very positive. Again, if the car is heavily soiled, go for a thorough two bucket method wash.

Quote:
Wash, once every one/two month: Either Meguiar NXT generation car shampoo or Sonus gloss shampoo. Or should I go for Formula 1 - Carnauba Wash & Wax Shampoo?
I've used Meg's and found the same effective, but literally drilled a hole in my pocket as the bottle gets finished quite fast. Better go for Sonus, or even Amway. About the interval of washing, make sure you wash your ride atleast twice a month.

Quote:
Instead of clay, use Ultima elastoform, once in three/six months. And Polish & Wax, once in three/six months.
Please let me know if I understood it correctly, and let me know if these are the best products available in the market.
Go for Elastrofoam with your eyes closed. Claying needed to be done only twice a year. For polish go for Collinite and Optiseal as sealant.
RiGOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 08:11   #8964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpioman View Post
A paint sealant is good to have and even better if it is done on a brand new car. The underbody coating is not required for at least another 2 years as today cars come with a basic coating for the underbody.

Congrats on the new car and drive safe.

Feel free to call me anytime if you want to discuss how a sealant helps and the steps to maintain it as well. I am also based in Bangalore. Nine nine eight zero five one zero tripple seven.

Thanks Scorpioman, appreciate the quick response, will set up some time up with 3M for the paint sealant
Old 22nd November 2014, 20:13   #8965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Scorpioman, appreciate the quick response, will set up some time up with 3M for the paint sealant
Assuming you are from Bangalore, i would not suggest 3M. The paint treatment at 3M is not long lasting. The products they use is just average and shine wont last beyond a month.

There are lot of private professional detailers in Bangalore who do a far better job than 3M at a marginal higher cost than 3M. Check out the bangalore directory.

PS: I have no affiliation with any private brands nor do i have any animosity towards 3M. Just stating the facts.
Old 22nd November 2014, 21:44   #8966

Yes you are right about 3M sagar. I've had the same experience. Rather I used Amway products with a Bosch polisher and turtle wax to top it up.
Got wonderful results
Old 23rd November 2014, 12:42   #8967

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Assuming you are from Bangalore, i would not suggest 3M. The paint treatment at 3M is not long lasting. The products they use is just average and shine wont last beyond a month.

There are lot of private professional detailers in Bangalore who do a far better job than 3M at a marginal higher cost than 3M. Check out the bangalore directory.

PS: I have no affiliation with any private brands nor do i have any animosity towards 3M. Just stating the facts.

Aww man!! Too late in reading this...just finished the work at 3M...it looks pretty good for now, only time will tell I guess.

Would you be able to share the others that you are referring to?

They did mention not to get the car washed every day but just once in a week though. I will update the details of the work done later, however they definitely did good service, they ended up cleaning an shining the car from the inside as we for the same price...which is even better I guess 😄 unless that's the usual inclusion in this, cost me around 3600 Rs and 2.5 hours of waiting time
Old 23rd November 2014, 16:09   #8968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Too late in reading this...just finished the work at 3M...it looks pretty good for now, only time will tell I guess.
I think that the 3M treatment is better than many make out. Had it on my car, and it seemed to last quite a while. I'm not sure that it is much more than a polish, but it is a good one.

Stuff like Cquartz is, I guess, in a different league.
Old 23rd November 2014, 17:43   #8969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Aww man!! Too late in reading this...just finished the work at 3M...it looks pretty good for now, only time will tell I guess.

Would you be able to share the others that you are referring to?

They did mention not to get the car washed every day but just once in a week though. I will update the details of the work done later, however they definitely did good service, they ended up cleaning an shining the car from the inside as we for the same price...which is even better I guess 😄 unless that's the usual inclusion in this, cost me around 3600 Rs and 2.5 hours of waiting time
Ultimate detailerz, quantum details, eco car care etc are famous in Bangalore. There are others also but these three are good in terms of quality. Check out the directory section.

Yes, what 3M said is correct. You should not wash more than bi weekly. Key is to use a pH neutral shampoo to preserve the top coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that the 3M treatment is better than many make out. Had it on my car, and it seemed to last quite a while. I'm not sure that it is much more than a polish, but it is a good one.

Stuff like Cquartz is, I guess, in a different league.
I am not talking about Cquartz. There are way better sealants out there which will outlast 3M by miles. Four star UPP, Blackfire wet diamond, Ultima paint guard plus etc. These are top class sealants which are long lasting too.

Also 3M just uses a cutting compound and don't follow up with finishing compound. This makes a lot of difference to the gloss. Thing is once you see the good quality treatment you will appreciate the and make out the difference from 3M.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 23rd November 2014 at 17:45.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 12:57   #8970
BHPian

Worked with Collinite 845 yesterday. Result is really worth the effort.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img2014112300662.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img2014112300670.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks