Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 22:25   #9106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

First of all, couldn't find a better place to post this. Dear MODS, kindly move this post if necessary.
Today, my car turned truely 15 years old. If I remember correctly, I had seen somewhere that she was born on 20th Jan 2000( we bought it on 25th March 2000 from the now closed Mithila Motors Patna).
So it was time to take my oldie for a spa.

Got it cleaned and detailed inside out. Ours being a relatively small city, this car detailing business is untapped. Recently, Speed Car Wash opened their 48th outlet here and I decided to check it out.
Since my car was clean from inside(thanks to my Vacuuming on Sunday routine) I opted for their silver package which involved
1. Car Water Wash
2. Foam Wash
3. Engine Bay steam wash
4. and the usual dashboard polish stuff.

Also asked them to buff and wax my car using my products( Meguiar's and 3M), and since they were in two minds, I just asked for their buffing machine.
They promptly obliged. This was a TBHP effect, the owner there was aware of this forum, and knew that people here are perfectionists when it comes to cars, and I was no different. He allowed a DIY for me.

To cut a long story short, it took about 4 hours(the actual wash took only half an hour) and my oldie was as if it had just rolled out of showroom. Customers present there were in awe and I was having a hard time trying to explain them that this car is still wearing its original paintjob.

I am sorry, I didn't get to click much pics, as I was busy enjoying my car. Still, something is always better than nothing.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20150120_111630.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20150120_124902.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20150120_124900.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 20th January 2015 at 22:40.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 13:44   #9107
BHPian

Which is the best sealant available to get that wet look on a white car? The Optimum Car Wax (OCW) that I applied two weeks back is doing really well. Planning to strip it off and apply multiple layers of a sealant and then top it with OCW.

Have got my eyes on Optimum Opti-Seal (OSS) and Ultima Paint Guard Plus (UPGP). So which one should I go for to get maximum wet look and durability? Any other options?
Old 23rd January 2015, 15:35   #9108
Senior - BHPian

Which is the best way to wash the Jopasu duster? It has become really dirty and lost its cleaning ability to an extent.
Old 23rd January 2015, 15:44   #9109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Which is the best way to wash the Jopasu duster? It has become really dirty and lost its cleaning ability to an extent.
The instructions on the duster says to clean it with cold water. I had tried soaking the duster for a few hours but the dust stuck simply wouldnt go completely. So these days I soak it in soap solution for about an hour and then hand scrub it, can see literally the dust/dirt being washed off. However post the washing have seen the duster becoming slowly ineffective.

There must be some other means to ensure that the dirt picking properties are retained post washing. Otherwise the duster would be ineffective in say 15-20 days time with daily usage. Maybe the experts here can comment.
Old 23rd January 2015, 17:56   #9110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Best way is to jerk all the dirt off the duster is with hand. Once used, take the duster in your left hand and with your back side of the right hand palm, hit the fibers to throw of all the dirt. "jhatakana' as what you call in hindi. You have to do this 15-20 times till the dirt stops throwing out.
I guess the fibers have some wax coating that lifts the dirt and this coating wears off slowly as you wash it. so after 10-15 washes, it is rendered useless. Mine cleans 2 cars daily and is washed once a month. But 'jhatakna' process is done daily.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 15:59   #9111
Senior - BHPian

Clear Coat on roof of Gold Shimmer Xylo gone.

The Clear Coat on the roof behind the Roof Rack of our Gold Shimmer Xylo has gone.

Is there any way to restore it? Or Repaint is the only way? If Repaint, would it be better to repaint only the required part or complete roof?

Let pics do the talking (Sorry for taking the pics from the terrace of our house)-
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20150126_154033.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20150126_154041.jpg
Old 26th January 2015, 17:32   #9112
BHPian

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-imageuploadedbyteambhp1422273555.220498.jpg

Goodies just arrived

Pinnacle Black Label Synergy wax,
Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface coating,
Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Cleansing Polish,
Detailer Pro Quick Detailer Aerosol
And few more goodies!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th January 2015 at 19:49. Reason: text formatting
Old 26th January 2015, 19:44   #9113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Today, my car turned truely 15 years old. If I remember correctly, I had seen somewhere that she was born on 20th Jan 2000( we bought it on 25th March 2000 from the now closed Mithila Motors Patna).
So it was time to take my oldie for a spa.

To cut a long story short, it took about 4 hours(the actual wash took only half an hour) and my oldie was as if it had just rolled out of showroom. Customers present there were in awe and I was having a hard time trying to explain them that this car is still wearing its original paintjob.
Wow! Your car is looking absolutely fabulous.
Yes, its hard to believe that the car(and paint) is 15 years old. It looks as good as a new one.
You have maintained it well.
blueeyed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 19:55   #9114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
Wow! Your car is looking absolutely fabulous.
Yes, its hard to believe that the car(and paint) is 15 years old. It looks as good as a new one.
You have maintained it well.
Thanks Sir. Comments like these make our efforts worth. I'm glad you liked it.

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 20:17   #9115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Thanks Sir. Comments like these make our efforts worth. I'm glad you liked it.

Regards
Oh thats ok, its the same reason me being a part of this forum made me appreciate your effort.
And please dont call me 'sir'. After all, we are a part of the same group.
Thank you.
blueeyed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 20:59   #9116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
The Clear Coat on the roof behind the Roof Rack of our Gold Shimmer Xylo has gone.
That's terrible! How old is the car? Warranty claim?

Unless the car has been cleaned with a scouring pad, this is something that just should never happen.
Old 26th January 2015, 22:34   #9117
Senior - BHPian

Clear Coat of Xylo Roof Gone and Also Confused whether to buy Pressure Washer or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
That's terrible! How old is the car? Warranty claim?
Unless the car has been cleaned with a scouring pad, this is something that just should never happen.
The car was bought on 11-11-2009 and has covered 231Kkms. So no warranty.
As far as scouring pad is concerned, how come only the part above is affected? I agree that our driver is careless about using properly clean and suitable cloths for washing cars .
What are options available for me now?

Also while going through some of the posts of this thread regarding Rinseless wash and Waterless Wash, I am confused whether I should buy (Invest in) Pressure Washer or not?
Old 27th January 2015, 16:02   #9118
Distinguished - BHPian

I was sort-of-joking about the scouring pad, except that I once knew (and drove) a car where that seemed to have been done and the metallic finish was completely ruined (hey, the car cost me nothing and was 15 years old!).

I suspect that the only real cure is a respray for the whole roof area. You'd have to decide if that was worth it.

Pressure washers... we have a whole thread. But I don't really miss mine (it died) for general bodywork: I do miss it for wheels, wheel arch, underside, etc. I also suspect that some people attack their cars with full pressure without understanding that it is likely to actually do damage.
Old 27th January 2015, 16:11   #9119
Senior - BHPian

Re: Clear Coat on roof of Gold Shimmer Xylo gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

Is there any way to restore it? Or Repaint is the only way? If Repaint, would it be better to repaint only the required part or complete roof?

Let pics do the talking (Sorry for taking the pics from the terrace of our house)-
Quite odd to see only one side having this problem. Looks like some chemical has caused this.

Re-painting the root is the best way out. How much are you willing to spend?
The other option is to buy a vinyl wrapping paper and apply it.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 19:53   #9120
Team-BHP Support

I have a black SUV and I am starting to notice swirl marks. The SUV is not even 2 months young. Sadly, at the place where I stay, even when parked in garage, the car attracts dust. It has shaded parking (It faces sun between 2 pm till sun goes down for the front or rear portion depending on which side I park, hence I rotate every few days) While washing (either myself or by the car wash guy) I use clean cloth I do not dust the car, rather wash it. I still find swirl marks

The only brands I get over here is Amway, DuPont (dunno original or fake) Wurth. Some distance away (400 kms round trip) a detailing shop has opened and they stock Meguiar products. Is it worth going there and spend some Rs. 4000/5000? How many times would I require to do this. Sadly, the words they utter is teflon.

I want paint protection now enhancement at later stage, please advise accordingly.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th January 2015 at 19:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks