Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anvara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi
And other members, please chip in. I have finally decided to get all work done at my place. Have got in touch with a guy who does good work. I need to get the materials and both of us will try to detail my black car.

What is Ion coating? Is it necessary? How much will this can last and how many times can this be used?

Please suggest me products which can be brought online through a reliable seller. COD facility isn't available at my place, hence the concern.

I need to do
Clay
Compound
Polish
Jewel (copied from SunnyBoi's post) What else (this too is quite a lot)

What products? Been hearing on forums that Collinite is good. I was thinking of Meguiar's black wax. Is Ion coating necessary?

Please provide with detailed answers. How is the Meguiar's quick spray wax, when to use this? Which towels, which chimos leather/cloth? I am clueless you see.

Thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd February 2015 at 13:34.
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:01   #9137
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hi Sheel,

You could check out this link. They dont have COD facility though.

http://www.detailedclean.in/glazes/p...k-hole-16oz-51

Another link that I found on ebay is here.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Poorboys-Blac...87520#payCntId.

Again, no COD but payment through Paypal is possible. Do check it out.

Clay - Another easier option would be Elastrofoam. Said to have similar effect with lesser manual work
Compund - Meguiar's Ultimate Compund is a proven material in my armory
Polish - Meguiar's Ultimate polish
Wax - Meguiar's Gold Class / Ultimate Wax or black was as you already mentioned

All this assuming you have a polisher (rotary or DA). If not, this is hard work mate.

With all this your ride should be shining already.

In case you use a DA polisher, use appropriate pads (Megs Maroon for Compounding, Yellow for polishing & black for waxing)
Use Micro fiber towels for buffing off

Enjoy detailing & drive safe!!
anvara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:53   #9138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please provide with detailed answers.
I’ll share whatever I know regarding car washing and claying. I don't have much experience in the rest of the departments so I'll leave that to the pros here.

a. Waterless wash method - This method is used when the car is very lightly soiled (mostly dust on the surface). If the car is heavily soiled (after heavy rains, off-roading etc.) this method will not be suitable as it will not lift the dirt and grime stuck to the surface.

In this method, you dust the car using a duster (Eg. Jopasu, California), get rid of the dust and then use a diluted solution of a waterless wash concentrate (Eg. Ultima Waterless Wash+, Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine), spray it on the car’s surface and wipe it off using a microfiber towel (change the sides of the folded towel as it gets soiled). You get good results, leaves the car with a shine and water consumption is the least in this case.

b. Two bucket method - This method is used when the car is moderately soiled. In this method, you do not use a duster at all. Instead, you rinse the whole car first and use 2 buckets of water - one with the washing solution/shampoo concentrate and the other with clean water. A wash mitt or wash glove is used that is dipped in the bucket containing wash solution, one surface of the car is cleaned at a time and the mitt is dipped into the other bucket to clean the dirt/grime stuck to the mitt. This way the bucket containing the concentrate is not soiled to a great extent whereas the other bucket sucks up this dirt and grime and it settles at the bottom.

This method saves a lot of water compared to the conventional method of using a water hose or a pressure washer. But takes a lot of effort since constant dunking and wiping will quickly make you tired.

c. Using a pressure washer - If you have a lot of soft water at your disposal and if your car is heavily soiled, this is the chosen method. Pressure washers usually come with a bottle (for the washing/foaming solution) and a suitable nozzles and the output stream can be adjusted depending on the requirement. The car is then foamed using the pressure washer, washed using a washing mitt and rinsed. Pressure washers however tend to be very finicky during their usage and the pumps and other internals can go bad. Have a look at the thread here (Buying & Using a Pressure Washer) before investing in one.

If there’s no pressure washer available but you have an overhead tank located a couple of floors above the ground floor, the pressure head at the tap on the ground floor is sufficient to generate a good stream (albeit nothing beats a pressure washer!). Get a good hose and a few hose clamps, tighten the hose at the tap end and use the thumb to vary the output stream. The good ol’ method works well to loosen the grime from the underbody or wheel wells. Use a wash mitt, a bucket containing the wash concentrate and wash the car.

This method uses a lot of water but efforts required are lesser compared to the other 2 methods.

Wipe down the car using a microfiber towel before the water dries and leaves spots behind. Spots are more prominent if the water is hard.

The next step is to clay the car. A clay bar is used along with a lubricant (the waterless wash solution is a good lube) to clean the surface to get rid of the contaminants which refuse to come off with just a wash (Eg. brake dust). A clay bar looks like a piece of soap and can be cut and moulded into the desired shape. But if the bar falls down during the claying process, you will have to let go off that piece and mould a new one since all the dirt and mud on the ground has stuck to it now and can no longer be used.

A newer, cheaper and better alternative is the Ultima Elastrofoam sponge. This one looks like a block of sponge but has one surface with clay and is easier to hold, grip and apply compared to a conventional clay mould. The good thing is it doesn’t matter if it falls down. It can be reused after rinsing it with water. And it is cheaper than most good clay bars. CarPro has launched a similar product - Polyshave. It’s the same sponge block but from a different manufacturer.

2 cents about MF towels - I use the Meguiar’s water magnet drying towel to wipe the car after a wash. It works well and with multiple folds, I’ve never had to wring the towel while wiping the car. There are several large microfiber towels available from Bringing Best Impex - suggest you have a look here.

I’ll leave the rest (compounding, waxing etc.) to others.

Here’re some online links from where you can source these stuff:

1. Jopasu duster - eBay

Use a coupon code to lower the price. The dealer is Jopasu’s official dealer on eBay so no worries w.r.t. shipping and packaging. They do it quite well.

2. Meguiar’s wash mitt - Bringing Best Impex

Bringing Best is a dealer that deals with mostly detailing products. Sanjay is the guy in charge. Their customer support is very prompt. The wash mitt is available with one seller on eBay but the feedback ratings are poor so skipped that. Avoid Jopasu’s wash mitt! I tried it and was heavy when it was soaked with water. Cheaper mitts also work (most 3M outlets use these) but YMMV.

3. Ultima Waterless Wash + - eBay

The dealer is Ultimate Detailerz, owned and operated by Mohsin who’s a BHPian and owns a detailing facility in Bangalore that goes by the same name. No worries w.r.t. customer support, shipping or packaging. I’ve bought some stuff before and can vouch for the shop.

4.a. Ultima Elastrofoam sponge block - eBay

4.b. CarPro Polyshave sponge block - eBay

5.a. Amway Car Wash concentrate - eBay

A no-frills wash concentrate. Foams decently and uses half a cap for a bucket-full of water and the results are good. No clue about the dealer but feedback looks decent.

5.b. Formula 1 car wash & wax concentrate - eBay

This was my first car wash concentrate and it gave good results - got rid of the dirt and grime and lent a nice glossy appearance to the car. There are a lot of fake Formula 1 products sold but this link seems to be of the original one since the dealer has mentioned it explicitly, he has a good feedback and has sold some 200+ bottles.

PS: I am not advertising any of those dealers here.
Gannu_1 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:04   #9139
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

Need your help. I managed to get hold of Meguiars scratch X2.0 from my office colleague on trial basis. Wanted to remove some visible scratch and swirl marks on my Punto's bonnet. I used a little paste on the affected area and in circular rubbing motion spread the paste with a MF towel. After 5 min or so, I rubbed the area clean with another MF towel. Couldn't see any change at all. Am I doing something wrong? Whats the correct procedure? Actually saw a couple of videos on You tube about the product usage and did exactly the same.

Kindly advise.
Old 2nd February 2015, 20:05   #9140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvara View Post
All this assuming you have a polisher (rotary or DA). If not, this is hard work mate.
Two guys and me will share all the hard work :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
a. Waterless wash method -
Water & its drainage is not an issue Gannu.

Could you please let me know a bit more about clay bar? And their availability online, especially the good stuff [Ultima Elastrofoam sponge or Polyshave] you were speaking about?

BTW, I use the Amway Car Wash and it does give satisfactory results.

Thanks to you both

Waiting for further comments on other aspects from members.
Old 2nd February 2015, 20:34   #9141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please let me know a bit more about clay bar? And their availability online, especially the good stuff [Ultima Elastrofoam sponge or Polyshave] you were speaking about?

BTW, I use the Amway Car Wash and it does give satisfactory results.

Waiting for further comments on other aspects from members.
Elastrofoam is better than Polyshave and way better than any medium clay bar.

Yea Amway car wash is good. Although i use a cap full in one bucket of water (10 lts) to get a better cleaning power. Sonax Gloss shampoo is very good to what it offers at its price point!

Wash mitt - Meguiars is the best. Dont even bother trying others since they are either too costly or sub standard. Dont touch the Jopasu wash mitt. Very poor product.

Since you are doing everything my hand, dont bother with swirl removal.Even with three guys you will not be able to get the swirls out.. Just follow these steps. With three persons you can easily finish off in a day.

Wash -> Clay ->Polish(Optional)->Glaze ->Sealant.

This will give you the best result without making you lose the sensation in your arms for a week. Here are my recommendations

Wash - Any product you have.
Clay - Elastrofoam
Clay Lube- Optimum No Rinse(Blue) or Ultima waterless wash plus concentrate. Worst case - One cap of amway shampoo in 5 ltr of water will make a good enough clay lube
Polish - Meguiars Ultimate Polish
Glaze - Poorboys black hole
Sealant- Ultima Paint Guard Plus

Fellow BHPians have already mentioned trusted sources of these products above.
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 20:51   #9142
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Sagar :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Since you are doing everything my hand, dont bother with swirl removal.Even with three guys you will not be able to get the swirls out.. Just follow these steps. With three persons you can easily finish off in a day.
Swirl marks aren't deep. I can employ machine as well if need be. Will get a new cover (or whatever is it called) for the machine.
Quote:
Clay Lube- Optimum No Rinse(Blue) or Ultima waterless wash plus concentrate. Worst case - One cap of amway shampoo in 5 ltr of water will make a good enough clay lube
Could you please elaborate more on it? I mean I can add one cap of shampoo in 5 liter water, but then how to use it? Didn't get this bit
Old 2nd February 2015, 20:58   #9143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sagar :-)

Swirl marks aren't deep. I can employ machine as well if need be. Will get a new cover (or whatever is it called) for the machine.

Could you please elaborate more on it? I mean I can add one cap of shampoo in 5 liter water, but then how to use it? Didn't get this bit
Machine at the hands of an un-trained person can wreak havoc on the paint and can also cause burn through . So , if it is first time go with hands. Take it slow. One step at a time.

The shampoo in water was an alternative to clay lube if you do not have it or do not intend to purchase it.

You spray the lubricant solution on one section of panel - say Quarter of a bonnet and glide the clay/elastrofoam over it.

If you do not have any idea about claying then please go through some Youtube videos. You will get a better picture
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 23:04   #9144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And other members, please chip in. I have finally decided to get all work done at my place. Have got in touch with a guy who does good work. I need to get the materials and both of us will try to detail my black car.
If you're serious on an awesome looking black car don't waste time and money on polishing by hand.

Get a rotary, 5 inch backing plate, LC CCS Black pad and Menzerna SF4000. Thats what I used for the below stuff. No wax/sealant/coating applied in any of these pics. Since this is a finishing polish, its almost impossible to damage paint as long as you stick to 600-800rpm.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5384.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5560.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 13:29   #9145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Get a rotary, 5 inch backing plate, LC CCS Black pad and Menzerna SF4000.
Can you please provide online links for the same? And the products used to achieve the result.

A friend from Bangalore can also ship me these if products aren't available online.

The results are
Old 4th February 2015, 01:46   #9146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
If you're serious on an awesome looking black car don't waste time and money on polishing by hand
100% agree with you, it is simply not possible to achieve the kind of result that you posted by hand no matter what best of the best product one uses!! The ones you posted are seriously mind blowing results
Old 5th February 2015, 14:52   #9147
BHPian

Polish / Glaze

Hello BHPians, I have been maintaining my 14 month old pepper grey Polo with 3M car wash every 6 weeks, waterless wash using ProKlear, Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (Sealant) and regular dusting using Jopasu duster.

The car is lightly used but light swirl marks and some fine scratches are starting to show up.

Still have a good quantity of Meguiar's UQW left and am thinking of what to do about the swirl marks. Definitely plan to upgrade to more detailing essentials like Elastrofoam etc., and also get something like Carpro Reload or UPGP once the UQW gets over.

What would be the ideal polish/glaze for my car to be used after claying ?. Am thinking of Poorboys Black Hole , Finish Kare 215. As an entrepreneur, I will have to budget and gradually upgrade. I also intend to use my hand and upgrade to a rotary or dual action much later.
Old 5th February 2015, 15:05   #9148
Senior - BHPian

I guess my query got lost in the maze of information in this thread, hence re introducing my query. Can experts comment on this please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

Need your help. I managed to get hold of Meguiars scratch X2.0 from my office colleague on trial basis. Wanted to remove some visible scratch and swirl marks on my Punto's bonnet. I used a little paste on the affected area and in circular rubbing motion spread the paste with a MF towel. After 5 min or so, I rubbed the area clean with another MF towel. Couldn't see any change at all. Am I doing something wrong? Whats the correct procedure? Actually saw a couple of videos on You tube about the product usage and did exactly the same.

Kindly advise.
Old 5th February 2015, 15:19   #9149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess my query got lost in the maze of information in this thread, hence re introducing my query. Can experts comment on this please.
Its normal when trying to correct by hand. Its really very hard to get any correction done when working by hand especially on VW/Skoda and Fiat cars which have hard paints. I'd suggest stop wasting time and money in buying products to remove swirls by hand. Its time consuming,energy draining and in the end simply not worth it.

Get hold of a professional to do correction, or if you're inclined to DIY's invest in machine polishing. Get hold of a scrap panel and hone your skills before you work on your car.

If you have to work by hand,I suggest you try getting hold of more aggressive compounds like Meguiars Ultimate Compound (UC) or even Meguiars 105. I've used UC by hand and have had some success. Friends have reported 105 to be good too. It will fill the swirls and you may be happy with the results you get,depending on which you can take a call on whether to get a pro correction done or go the DIY route.
shashank.nk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 15:38   #9150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do not use circular motion. Do them in straight lines. Circular motion doesn't remove swirls, it might as well put in more
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks