Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2019, 07:23   #10636
BHPian

It isn't that difficult to apply. As the others said, apply thin, wipe off fast.

You should do the swipe test to get an idea about the bonding speed of the wax in that particular environment. That way, it will be easier to apply.

Even a slight increase in wind speed will alter the bonding time.
NOS Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 07:45   #10637
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
I was hoping I can still manage with elbow grease!

I don't intend on using the DA.

My selection was based on reviews which said that it's a hard wax and the ease of application lies in between 845 and 915.

Would you suggest something else giving similar longevity and looks?
You can still manage to do it with elbow grease provided you plan your angle of attack properly. . Also, you have made a good choice, and if properly executed, you will enjoy the end result for years. (This tub will last that long).

Since I have had my own run with Collinite hard waxes (2 of them), I believe my experience can be exploited for good here.

This is what I do :

1. If I'm planning to wash & wax early in the morning, I leave the tin with closed lid in morning sun for 10-15 min. It helps the wax become little pliable. Use a wet foam (2 in x 3 in) to run on the surface of the wax in tub in circles to pick up.
2. If in the evening, then I just use the foam piece dipped in warm water to run on the surface of the wax in tub.
3. Apply in straight lines. Run it against the body panel one line at a time. Like a painter painting a wall right to left with single stroke of brush. Starting from top. Don't swirl. It packs up one on top of another in layers.
4. Allow to rest for 2-3 minutes if you are going panel by panel. Use a soft cloth to wipe & shine.

Make sure your body surface is clean. It tends to layer over even tar & bugs if not careful. I learnt this last time.
prithm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 09:11   #10638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Eventually had to resort to some wax stripper and couple of rounds of petrol and diesel wash which eventually revealed the clear coat which was under the wax layer for over a month.
Wow! It was much worse than I thought!

Quote:
Do you think 915 is a good upgrade from 845 with reasonably more effort? Considering the DA is out of question.
915 is an upgrade but your results will be determined by the techniques used whilst applying and very importantly the condition of your paint. Shashi's M800 is THE most pampered car on this forum - period. The only other car maintained with a similar insane level of detail is Sunnyboi's Mitsubishi Cedia.

915 is not a magic wax. It is used, along with other uber premium waxes like Pinnacle Souveran on uber luxury cars for a reason - those cars have paint of superb quality straight from the factory, acres of paint to show off the gloss and very importantly these cars are very well maintained and sparingly used. Yes, 915 is a showcar wax not for daily drivers. For daily drivers use 845 or the super long lasting but nightmare-in-a-tin 476s.

If you need something that gives less pain and easy to use try Meguiar's Ultimate paste (preferably) or liquid wax. Next in line is Meguiar's NXT 2.0. These are synthetic wax + sealants. You won't need WWF grade arms and a gym subscription to use them.

Want Carnauba only? Meguiars Professional 26 Hi-tech yellow wax or Gold Class Carnauba wax. These are a blend of synthetics and Carnauba with the synth stuff in higher proportion than products from Collinite. Mother's California 05550 Gold Pure Carnauba wax (NOT the cleaner wax!) is yet another option.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 10:38   #10639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
915 is an upgrade but your results will be determined by the techniques used whilst applying and very importantly the condition of your paint. Shashi's M800 is THE most pampered car on this forum - period. The only other car maintained with a similar insane level of detail is Sunnyboi's Mitsubishi Cedia.
I agree. Especially Sunnyboi's Cedia. One should look at his engine bay to know the prowess that a man can build for his car. Shashi's M800 is worthy to be donated to Maruti's hall of fame.

Quote:
915 is not a magic wax. It is used, along with other uber premium waxes like Pinnacle Souveran on uber luxury cars for a reason - those cars have paint of superb quality straight from the factory, acres of paint to show off the gloss and very importantly these cars are ....super long lasting but nightmare-in-a-tin 476s.
Infact Collinite should be the first step paint care immediately after taking delivery. Its a protection that will stay on the surface as long as the owner is willing to take good care. The paint quality does matter, but for Indian janta with Indian gaadi, we can only go so far.

Quote:
If you need something that gives less pain and easy to use try Meguiar's Ultimate paste (preferably) or liquid wax. Next in line is Meguiar's NXT 2.0. These are synthetic wax + sealants. You won't need WWF grade arms and a gym subscription to use them.

Want Carnauba only? Meguiars Professional 26 Hi-tech yellow wax or Gold Class Carnauba wax. These are a blend of synthetics and Carnauba with the synth stuff in higher proportion than products from Collinite. Mother's California 05550 Gold Pure Carnauba wax (NOT the cleaner wax!) is yet another option.
If going in direction of liquids, Meguiars & Menzerna have long list of collections. Menzerna especially has sealant + wax combo's, Cutting + Wax combos.

Sticking to hard waxes, many are neglecting our own Desi home grown Waxpol. A product that taught me the value of being humble. It was the first hard wax I used on my Bajaj Classic SL & paint hasn't faded a bit after 20 years. Multiple diesel washes, shampoos, cutting oil but it has clinged on majestically. They have a Silicone liquid wax too. A fast & easy to apply with wonderful beading quality. Nowadays finding it hard to get their products, but Amazon is listing them now.

If Collinite hard wax is baap of hard work, Waxpol is Great Grandpa.

Last edited by prithm : 24th February 2019 at 10:40.
prithm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 16:07   #10640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
You can still manage to do it with elbow grease provided you plan your angle of attack properly. . Also, you have made a good choice, and if properly executed, you will enjoy the end result for years. (This tub will last that long).

Since I have had my own run with Collinite hard waxes (2 of them), I believe my experience can be exploited for good here.

This is what I do :

1. If I'm planning to wash & wax early in the morning, I leave the tin with closed lid in morning sun for 10-15 min. It helps the wax become little pliable. Use a wet foam (2 in x 3 in) to run on the surface of the wax in tub in circles to pick up.
2. If in the evening, then I just use the foam piece dipped in warm water to run on the surface of the wax in tub.
3. Apply in straight lines. Run it against the body panel one line at a time. Like a painter painting a wall right to left with single stroke of brush. Starting from top. Don't swirl. It packs up one on top of another in layers.
4. Allow to rest for 2-3 minutes if you are going panel by panel. Use a soft cloth to wipe & shine.

Make sure your body surface is clean. It tends to layer over even tar & bugs if not careful. I learnt this last time.
That is a lot of encouragement!

Yes, I plan to strip the existing layers of wax and clay the car before applying the 915. I understand that the most relevant factor in using 915 is the time it is left on the panel to haze. If I get that right, it should be fine with relatively more effort.

How would you rate 915 against 845? Is it worth that much extra premium, being almost twice the cost of 845?

I have enjoyed using the 845 but I somehow found it to be not that long lasting even though my rides are not daily drivers. The effect would be gone in around 2 months max. This is just a single layer I am talking about.

Hence, the thought of shifting to 915 to get even more shine and longevity.

Quote:

915 is not a magic wax. It is used, along with other uber premium waxes like Pinnacle Souveran on uber luxury cars for a reason - those cars have paint of superb quality straight from the factory, acres of paint to show off the gloss and very importantly these cars are very well maintained and sparingly used. Yes, 915 is a showcar wax not for daily drivers. For daily drivers use 845 or the super long lasting but nightmare-in-a-tin 476s.

Why do you say 915 is a showcar wax and not meant for daily drivers?

The entire idea of shifting to 915 was the longevity it supposedly provides over 845 as shine/gloss has not been of that much importance to me.

Meguiars I can consider but I think I am biased towards Collinite after having used the 845 and would like to give their other product a chance to suit my specific needs.

Meguairs 26 is available at less than half of what 915 costs here in India!

How does it stack against the Collinite range in terms of longevity and shine?

Thanks!
Old 24th February 2019, 16:37   #10641
BHPian

Quote:
How would you rate 915 against 845? Is it worth that much extra premium, being almost twice the cost of 845?
915 is actually like icing on the cake to be brutally frank. It's for those who have cars that have really great thick paint & want to give that deep rich shine. 845 is utilitarian. Easy to apply, cost effective, great protection. 915 is indeed premium wax from Collinite catalogue. But don't mistake it for better protection.

Quote:
have enjoyed using the 845 but I somehow found it to be not that long lasting even though my rides are not daily drivers. The effect would be gone in around 2 months max. This is just a single layer I am talking about.
This is where 885 comes into picture if you want to stick with Collinite brand. My native in Chennai has salty ground water. Nightmare for any car enthusiast. My work location in Hyderabad is dust bowl. Again a nightmare. So I needed one product that can withstand salty water (Chennai) & multiple washes or extended no wash (Hyderabad). Thus, I got it in my kit. For that extra oomph factor, I got 476s. One coat every 3 months gives me that deep lusture. 845 & 325 alternative months.

Quote:
Hence, the thought of shifting to 915 to get even more shine and longevity.
This should not be considered for longitivity but for deep shine.

Last edited by prithm : 24th February 2019 at 16:39. Reason: Spelling
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 18:11   #10642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you say 915 is a showcar wax and not meant for daily drivers?
Quote:
The entire idea of shifting to 915 was the longevity it supposedly provides over 845 as shine/gloss has not been of that much importance to me.
@Prithm has explained it beautifully in his post. But let me add my 2 paisa to it.

Why I believe 915 is a showcar wax. Two reasons, firstly carnauba by itself is a natural product and does not lend itself to longevity. Secondly it is used on uber luxury cars with perfectly applied and maintained paint to derive the best from it. If you want longevity don't look any further than 476s which is reputedly has has more synthetic ingredients (formulations are secret) than 845 or 915. But be prepared to put in the serious extra effort required to apply it. 845 is a walk in the park in comparison.

Quote:
Meguiars I can consider but I think I am biased towards Collinite after having used the 845 and would like to give their other product a chance to suit my specific needs.
Sure, it is your choice in the end. But what you need to do is match the requirements to the product not just go in blindly for the most expensive wax in their range. This is from experience - I have purchased and/or used over a dozen waxes in my time starting with the humble Waxpol (Prithm also FYI for you dude ) to the most expensive I ever purchased i.e. C915 and Megs Ultimate. At approx. Rs 3K a tin they are not to be sneezed at from my POV. And these are not boutique waxes which go for US $100+. Not directly related I have also purchased Collinite's leather and vinyl wax #855 and metal wax #850 too. I even have the scary 476s which is still in factory condition because I don't have a DAO machine or the energy to wax my car for 3/4ths of the day. But because I am a glutton for punishment, albeit a glutton lacking energy, Collinite's Fleetwax beckons me. After all this is a wax that protects boats from sea water and even aircraft fuselage metal skin. What gets more durable than that?! But I resist.

Quote:
Meguairs 26 is available at less than half of what 915 costs here in India! How does it stack against the Collinite range in terms of longevity and shine?
M26 is very good and you won't be disappointed. But long lasting..well it and most waxes, even the best, will last you between 1.5-3 months depending on the wax, where you park the car, how it is cleaned/washed and of course the weather.

I suggest using the following in order of fitment to your longevity requirement:

a) 476s (since you are keen on Collinite and this lasts long, really long)
b) Meguiars Ultimate - ease of application and superb finish.
c) Meguairs NXT 2 - excellent price performance
d) Collinite 915 - the subject of this debate and very good in its own right
e) Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba
f) Meguiars 26 Hi Tech wax

Remember, synthetic waxes are more durable in our hot dusty tropical climate.

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th February 2019 at 18:12.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 12:36   #10643
BHPian

Dear detailing gurus, I'm looking to procure some foam pads for my DA polisher.

I guess LC, Scholl concepts, Buff and Shine are good brands to choose from. Where can I get good deals for these pads in India?

Most of the detailing product stores have listed them at very high prices.
Old 25th February 2019, 16:22   #10644
BHPian

This is a query regarding cleaning, polishing and detailing - for my motorcycle: RE Himalayan in Matte Black.

I acquired the motorcycle in November last year and haven't done any detailing work on it so far. I'm a bit worried as the tank bag has left one scratch on the tank already. What kind of wax/polish would be ideal for the tank and other panels (namely front and rear mud guards, and the side piece where Himalayan is written)?

Pointers towards specific products would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 25th February 2019 at 16:24.
Old 25th February 2019, 17:52   #10645
BHPian

Im wondering if i could substitute a waterless wash product with soapy water.

I made a soapy solution (Amway car shampoo 1ml in 1l of water) and put it in a spray bottle, sprayed liberally on a slightly dusty panel of my sea grey EcoSport and wiped it off with a moist microfiber cloth. The result was a clean and shiny panel with no visible swirl marks. (Had waxed the car earlier using waxpol)

Is this an acceptable method of waterless washing? Any suggestions?
Old 4th March 2019, 11:56   #10646
BHPian

My black Mercedes E class (2016) has a lot of swirl marks and a few scratches.
I went to the the new 3m in noida and they suggested the trizact treatment with paint sealant which would cost around 23k and only the trizact will cost around 13k. They did the trizact treatment demo on a part of my hood and the swirl marks did go along with minor scratches. The treatments seem a bit expensive, what do you think I should get done. They said the trizact treatment is basically detailing.

Also does anyone know any other place where I can take my car for detailing in Delhi ncr.
Old 4th March 2019, 12:59   #10647
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest using the following in order of fitment to your longevity requirement:

a) 476s (since you are keen on Collinite and this lasts long, really long)
b) Meguiars Ultimate - ease of application and superb finish.
c) Meguairs NXT 2 - excellent price performance
d) Collinite 915 - the subject of this debate and very good in its own right
e) Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba
f) Meguiars 26 Hi Tech wax

Remember, synthetic waxes are more durable in our hot dusty tropical climate.
How do you rate Optimum Car Wax when compared to Collinite 845 and the Meguiars? I had been using Optimum products for almost 5 years and my 2nd bottle of OCW (Optimum Car Wax) is getting empty. I am wondering if I should switch to Collinite or some other brand. I have no experience with any of the waxes you have mentioned. I do have Meguiars 105, 205 combo, Ultimate Polish, but haven't used any of their waxes.

Last edited by Holyghost : 4th March 2019 at 13:02.
Old 4th March 2019, 13:21   #10648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
How do you rate Optimum Car Wax when compared to Collinite 845 and the Meguiars? I had been using Optimum products for almost 5 years and my 2nd bottle of OCW (Optimum Car Wax) is getting empty. I am wondering if I should switch to Collinite or some other brand. I have no experience with any of the waxes you have mentioned. I do have Meguiars 105, 205 combo, Ultimate Polish, but haven't used any of their waxes.
It depends on what you're looking for. If you want carnauba wax stick to Collinite. If you want synthetic or a blended synthetic + carnauba wax (e.g. Megs Gold Class) look at Meguiars, Mothers among others. I'd recommend Megs NXT 2 or Ultimate wax for a superb shine and tenacity. Also, compounds and polishes are more abrasive. They are not a synonym for wax which has low quantity of very fine or no abrasives.

Rule of the thumb - Carnauba is a natural wax and looks good, a glow, of sorts. And synthetics last longer in our hot dusty tropical weather. Remember all this is YMMV depending on the paint condition and techniques used.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th March 2019 at 13:22.
Old 4th March 2019, 15:17   #10649
Distinguished - BHPian

I got this from Ali which is supposedly a dead on copy of the Foam Gun from Chemical guys.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...1c0a4c4dLqXThD

This allows me to use my garden hose as opposed to an expensive pressure washer set up.

This is the connector that connects the garden hose to the unit.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190304_151202.jpg

The bottom fits into the unit. And the top is supposed to be what the garden hose plugs into.

Are there connectors available that mates the garden hose to this one? My hose size differs from this, and I understand we need an absolute tight fit to ensure no pressure is lost.

Just go to any hardware store and check?
Old 4th March 2019, 15:55   #10650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mir View Post
Im wondering if i could substitute a waterless wash product with soapy water.

I made a soapy solution (Amway car shampoo 1ml in 1l of water) and put it in a spray bottle, sprayed liberally on a slightly dusty panel of my sea grey EcoSport and wiped it off with a moist microfiber cloth. The result was a clean and shiny panel with no visible swirl marks. (Had waxed the car earlier using waxpol)

Is this an acceptable method of waterless washing? Any suggestions?
I regularly use this method to clean the car. I mix the water with car shampoo and put it in a spray bottle then spray it on the entire car. I use seperate microfibres for cleaning and drying. Minimises swirls and scratches and keeps the car shining.
aparth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks