Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 14:55   #9256
Senior - BHPian

One more query regarding Jopasu Duster.
We are aware of the Dried Mud (Not Dust) sticking on lower parts of body especially around Wheel Arches, Running Board.
Can I clean this Dried Mud with Jopasu Duster? Will this reduce the life of Duster due to cleaning of Dried Mud instead of only Dust.

EDIT: -
Is it necessary to use a wash mitt while washing the car with car shampoo or a good MF Cloth will do?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 5th May 2015 at 15:03.
Old 5th May 2015, 15:30   #9257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
One more query regarding Jopasu Duster.
We are aware of the Dried Mud (Not Dust) sticking on lower parts of body especially around Wheel Arches, Running Board.
Can I clean this Dried Mud with Jopasu Duster? Will this reduce the life of Duster due to cleaning of Dried Mud instead of only Dust.

EDIT: -
Is it necessary to use a wash mitt while washing the car with car shampoo or a good MF Cloth will do?

No, never use Jopasu or California dusters on dried mud, bird poo or any wet surface. The dusters are good to gently sweep the dry dust particles. On dried mud, bird poo...use a sprayer filled with diluted ONR or equivalent no rinse wash solution, gently wipe off with a microfiber cloth. Again, do not use the same cloth till you vigorously rinse in plain water to prevent residue mud / poo spoiling rest of the vehicle paint. It is a good idea to carry in the boot a sprayer with the diluted ONR or equivalent and a couple of old MF cloth pieces so that in particular the bird poo is attended to at the earliest; longer it stays on paint, the surface gets damaged. Hope this helps. Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 09:55   #9258
BHPian

A windshield problem - hazy after-wipe.

Guys,

I have been facing this problem since last monsoon season.

The windshield is otherwise clean in dry conditions. (almost like HD )
Even at night (dry) it's super clean - no halo, no dispersion, no problems.

However, when I switch on my wiper (with rain water OR washer spray) - the wiper leaves behind a "hazy-whitish" wipe.
It's similar to smudging-effect that you would see if someone dragged a finger over specs/goggles you wear.

The thing is, this smudge/haze/whitish wiped area - becomes normal just before the wiper comes back for another wipe cycle! :(
It becomes worse - if the wiper speed is 3/3
It is barely safe if used at wiper speed 1/3

I have changed the wiper blade in last monsoon season (Sept 2014).
That caused a very negligible difference (better wipe).

What can I do to have a clear windshield even in rainy conditions?
Idea is to have a SAFE windshield in all conditions.
Not crazy finish or aesthetics.

The Glass has only been washed (with clean & dirty cloths over the 2 years of ownership).
NO detailing of any sort has been done / NO restoration work etc.

I don't have a lot of detailing equipment.
Have just ordered MF cloths. + Proklear RAW for spray+wipe kinda washing.

Would Proklear NGS OR Aquapel or similar treatment help for the above stated problem??
Please suggest.

Troubleshooting already done:
1. It is not on the INSIDE, so it's not about A/c or heater, fogging etc.
2. I have tried cleaning the windshield with Meguiar's Glass cleaner (wipe & clean with MF cloth). Cleans the glass well, but does not address the problem being faced.
3. Have tried washing windshield with vinegar water 50:50 / colgate (toothpaste) - did improve the glass just a little.
I am not sure, If I should be doing that again - a couple of times.
4. I have asked the daily-car-washing-guy to stop washing the car. I am taking over the cleaning part with rinseless wash & quick detailing (will wash once a month, RAW wash weekly, dust with Jopasu daily).

I have also ordered Windshield Washer Concentrate (ProKlear) to be put in the washer liquid.

Thanks a lot for time!

Appreciate your inputs,

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 6th May 2015 at 10:01.
Old 6th May 2015, 10:14   #9259

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

@driverace: The haze in the windshield after wiper is due to road film . Please use a good glass polish to remove the road film. In case you are planning to buy Proklear NGS as mentioned in your post, it comes with a glass polish which you can use to polish and remove the road film and then seal the windshield with NGS. Since you are also planning to buy WWC use the diluted solution or raw diluted solution to clean the wiper blade.
The above will solve the issue.
satishkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 11:46   #9260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishkc View Post
@driverace: The haze in the windshield after wiper is due to road film . Please use a good glass polish to remove the road film. In case you are planning to buy Proklear NGS as mentioned in your post, it comes with a glass polish which you can use to polish and remove the road film and then seal the windshield with NGS. Since you are also planning to buy WWC use the diluted solution or raw diluted solution to clean the wiper blade.
The above will solve the issue.
I will definitely try the suggested options.
By road film - I assume you mean - road grime, exhaust fumes deposits, expulsions & regular dust/dirt.

I will also replace the wiper blades if required.

I got a suggestions to check tension in wiper arms too.
Any way I can do that OR that needs to be done at service station only?

Thanks, satishkc for your inputs!

Cheers,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 6th May 2015 at 11:48.
Old 6th May 2015, 13:14   #9261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace
1. It is not on the INSIDE, so it's not about A/c or heater, fogging etc.
In hot, humid weather, the condensation/fogging forms on the outside of the glass.

One small point here. It is stating the obvious, but sometimes we miss the obvious! When you clean the glass, do you clean the wiper blades as well? This is important to help avoid that haze-wipe effect.

Is the glass cleaner you bought a clear liquid or a cream? The clear liquids are fine for most-days use, but an occasional polish with a cream cleaner is necessary to get that invisible road film off.

A good additive in the screen wash is a great help too.

I hate this haze-wipe thing: it is like having a curtain drawn across one's view. I'm sadly terrible about keeping my car clean and shiny, but I demand clear, clean glass as a basic requirement of safe driving. Oddly, I found the situation worse in London than I do here! The air pollution there may be generally less, but it seems to put an oily film on the car every day.

I use AutoGlym glass polish. It is absurdly expensive (most of the cost is in the name, I think!) even in Europe, but a little goes a long way, and I am still using the stock of two or three bottles I brought back from London over five years ago.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 18:55   #9262

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
I am planning to give my Polo for a detailing session. Its six month old and has done 15k km. I searched some detailing centres in Calicut and here is the price quote that I got.

1. Pete's Smartwax - 8500/- with one year warranty and three free services within one year

2. Car wax near Eranhipalam in Sales tax office road - 5000/- with one year warranty

3. Carz spa near Vikram ground - 3750 for polymer coating with one year warranty.

4750 for Acrylic coating with one year warranty. (Mirror effect)

4. Khan's Car spa near Thondayad bypass - 4500 for 'Teflon' with one year warranty and two free services.

Since I had received varying quotes, I am a bit confused which one to go for. I hope Carz spa deal sounds good. Can you please suggest, which is the best out of the above?
Hi do stay away from "Teflon" coating guys. About Carz spa please ask them what product they'll be using for polymer coating and Acrylic coating and the various steps involved. A true car detail is a multi step process in which removal of swirl is one of the main jobs, so it is always best to ask what all steps they follow during the process. It will give you a better chance to analyze the cost vs benefit. It will also help you understand whether they are truly professionals or whether they are just trying to do a hack job and pocket some money. Pete's is a reputable name but do keep in mind they do have terms and conditions on the one year warranty.
arun_jacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 21:13   #9263
BHPian

To clean wiper blades use a little bit of rubbing alcohol. It will remove the stuck dirt and oily grime and keep the rubber edge soft like new.
For cleaning glass vinegar and water solution works like magic. You do not need to use any fancy glass cleaner.
techiecal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 23:26   #9264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To clean wiper blades use a little bit of rubbing alcohol.
Nice hint! Thank you.

Quote:
For cleaning glass vinegar and water solution works like magic.
I think my mum used to use this on the house windows when I was very small, ie 50-plus years ago. She used to use newspaper.
Old 9th May 2015, 03:14   #9265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nice hint! Thank you.

I think my mum used to use this on the house windows when I was very small, ie 50-plus years ago. She used to use newspaper.
Vinegar helps to remove water spots created by some minerals left behind after the commonly used hard water evaporates making the glass clearer but is not effective on all hard water spots. Newspaper is used because it does not leave behind lint like a piece of cloth and the ink in the paper acts as a glass polish but please do note that transfer of ink from paper to your hands will occur. Also please try to avoid vinegar coming into contact with paint of the vehicle as it will remove any wax or sealants that has been applied to it.
arun_jacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 14:10   #9266
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that micro-fibre has trounced newspaper or any other kind of cloth for this and all cleaning, house, car, everywhere!
Old 9th May 2015, 15:40   #9267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that micro-fibre has trounced newspaper or any other kind of cloth for this and all cleaning, house, car, everywhere!
Especially considering you can now get them at less than 30 rupees a piece, it's a no brainer!
Old 9th May 2015, 17:27   #9268

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Especially considering you can now get them at less than 30 rupees a piece, it's a no brainer!
Even microfibre can leave lint behind, thats why people advice to wash them before using for the first time. Can you tell me where we can get them for cheap?? I tried online but din't find any below Rs.75 per piece. Would really like to buy a dozen or two if i can find them at 30 a piece.
Old 9th May 2015, 22:29   #9269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even microfibre can leave lint behind...
Indeed, and there are special cloths for glass. Micro-fibre has its very own lint-free materials!
Old 10th May 2015, 07:49   #9270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_jacob View Post
Even microfibre can leave lint behind, thats why people advice to wash them before using for the first time. Can you tell me where we can get them for cheap?? I tried online but din't find any below Rs.75 per piece. Would really like to buy a dozen or two if i can find them at 30 a piece.
Available even @25/- on eBay but the the size is very small - only 30cm. X 30cm. I have bought some. The quality is acceptable and it can be used as a polishing cloth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks