Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2017, 13:06   #10006
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I sufferred a "kiss" with another vehicle. There is a dent, professional treatment will be necessary, but in the meantime it is the paint from the other vehicle that makes the thing look uglier than it is.

The other vehicle was one of those mini trucks, so the paint is that yellow/green stuff.

First, I'd like "less ugly." Second, I want to know how much my own paint layer is damaged underneath, which determines how urgent (risk of rust) the repair job is. How do you guys recommend cleaning off the "foreign" paint?

Or is it just not worth bothering and I should go straight to the professionals?
Old 14th January 2017, 14:15   #10007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I sufferred a "kiss" with another vehicle. There is a dent, professional treatment will be necessary, but in the meantime it is the paint from the other vehicle that makes the thing look uglier than it is.

The other vehicle was one of those mini trucks, so the paint is that yellow/green stuff.

First, I'd like "less ugly." Second, I want to know how much my own paint layer is damaged underneath, which determines how urgent (risk of rust) the repair job is. How do you guys recommend cleaning off the "foreign" paint?

Or is it just not worth bothering and I should go straight to the professionals?
Try a rag soaked in rubbing alcohol.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 21:10   #10008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Start off with rubbing compound to get the paint off then either restore the finish now with a fine polish and wax or after you get the denting sorted
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 16:46   #10009
Senior - BHPian

Not sure what happened to all the car cleaning fellows here.

Lot of products on sale on Amazon.in today. Have a look

Some microfibers from ChemicalGuys seem to be well priced.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 21:38   #10010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Not sure what happened to all the car cleaning fellows here.

Lot of products on sale on Amazon.in today. Have a look

Some microfibers from ChemicalGuys seem to be well priced.
Thanks for the heads up.

Did you find anything worth buying. I felt there were no must buy offers, unless I have missed something.

KK
Old 28th January 2017, 19:23   #10011
BHPian

Even autofresh is running a good discount on Chemical guys (CG) stuff. If any one of you likes CG stuff then do visit them.

http://www.autofresh.in/republic-day...-care-products

I bought a set of ultra plush microfiber towels which shows a discount of 45%

Disclaimer: I do not have any commercial interest in either sharing autofresh link or promoting CG products.
Old 29th January 2017, 12:32   #10012
BHPian

Folks, a few micro scratches on the black trim and body of my car. While I can use a polish for the regular paint, what should I do regarding the trim- which is either plastic or some sort of a vinyl wrap? I doubt I can use polish for that. Should I simply apply a little bit of tire polish to make the black trim appear darker and see if that makes the micro scratches less visible?
Old 1st February 2017, 13:43   #10013
BHPian

Guys,

My supply of Ultima waterless wash is running out and i was planning to try out ProKlear RAW Xtreme CX

Can somebody tell me if Proklear is up to the mark and how it compares to Ultima

Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 15:12   #10014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Guys,

My supply of Ultima waterless wash is running out and i was planning to try out ProKlear RAW Xtreme CX

Can somebody tell me if Proklear is up to the mark and how it compares to Ultima

Thanks
Stick with Ultima. It's way better!
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 15:21   #10015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Stick with Ultima. It's way better!
Interesting! I have never used Ultima, so can't compare. But I have been using Proklear since about 2 years now, and I am very happy. Now that you say Ultima is way better, I would like to give it a shot...

However, can you please elaborate in what sense is Ultima better than ProKlear?
Old 1st February 2017, 15:39   #10016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Interesting! I have never used Ultima, so can't compare. But I have been using Proklear since about 2 years now, and I am very happy. Now that you say Ultima is way better, I would like to give it a shot...

However, can you please elaborate in what sense is Ultima better than ProKlear?
I've been through 3 bottles of PK before switching to UWW. It's the resulting shine and slickness of UWW that I've become a fan of. Using a Jopasu duster for 3-4 days post UWW is as effortless as it can get.

PK has a tendency to leave spots (in my experience) if left sprayed-on longer, no such issues with UWW.

Another thing I like about UWW is that buffing with a second microfibre is not really needed as the minor residual wipe marks dry really fast and again don't leave any lines or spots.

Works very well as a QD too.
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 16:38   #10017
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks
I've been using ONR and then switched to Pro-klear to test it out. Proklear always need a second time buffing to clear the water marks. With ONR or Ultima you can skip that if you are in a hurry.
Another thing I noticed is the dilution ratio of PK is very critical. If you add a little too much PK, it leaves a hell lot of streaks and will be a pain to clean it off. I switched back to ONR after 4-5 washes with PK.
Holyghost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 22:08   #10018
BHPian

I'm almost out of ONR - my last stash was from Sanjay at BBImpex. But looks like its out of stock there as well. Checked Amazon but its not delivering to Mumbai/ Thane.

Where do I get it from?
Old 4th February 2017, 23:10   #10019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
I'm almost out of ONR - my last stash was from Sanjay at BBImpex. But looks like its out of stock there as well. Checked Amazon but its not delivering to Mumbai/ Thane.

Where do I get it from?
I bought the last bottle Sanjay had of ultima 4 days ago, and at a price thats cheaper than what its at now at amazon.com

Greenz car car still has stock of ONR

https://www.greenzcarcare.com/produc...ant=3797036485

Last edited by nova9 : 4th February 2017 at 23:12.
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 23:29   #10020
BHPian

Quote:
I bought the last bottle Sanjay had of ultima 4 days ago, and at a price thats cheaper than what its at now at amazon.com

Greenz car car still has stock of ONR

https://www.greenzcarcare.com/produc...ant=3797036485
Yes saw that thanks. Only issue is I'll have to settle for a small bottle - I was looking to buy an entire can!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks