Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 12:09   #11506
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Guys, need a suggestion.
This is for Silver colored Carens - about 5 months old.

Should I go in for DIY Ceramic Coating - for example this - https://superceramiccoating.com/buy-...c-coating-kit/

OR

Go in for Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating.
(Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating-16 Fl Oz https://amzn.eu/d/6FmjHWC)
(Or maybe something similar to above - Sonax etc )

Want to keep swirls marks delayed, and maintain smoothness and shine.
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 12:25   #11507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post

Please don’t use any cover, no matter how soft it will scratch and mar the paintwork, same for duster. Never touch paint without proper lubrication.

There are cordless blowers and pressure washers available for those in apartments.
Can you please share some links of cordless blowers and pressure washers? Also are you saying not to dust the car daily using jopasu etc?
Old 28th August 2022, 12:50   #11508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Guys, need a suggestion.
This is for Silver colored Carens - about 5 months old.

Should I go in for DIY Ceramic Coating - for example this - https://superceramiccoating.com/buy-...c-coating-kit/

Want to keep swirls marks delayed, and maintain smoothness and shine.
Coatings won’t help with swirls, specially spray coatings. Have a safe wash technique to prevent swirls and loss of gloss.

Going by the dozens of typos and non existent grammar on their website I’m almost certain it’s a cheap Chinese rebranded coating so would not recommend. It’s also 1/10th of what a quality liquid coating kit should cost from a good brand.

Turtle is far from the best when it comes to spray on ceramic coatings, try Gyeon Cancoat, Sonax Profiline or even Meguiar's hybrid spray coating for much better results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Can you please share some links of cordless blowers and pressure washers? Also are you saying not to dust the car daily using jopasu etc?
Yes do not dry wipe or dust the paint you will scratch it over time. Links-

https://www.industrybuying.com/press...xoCn0QQAvD_BwE

https://m.indiamart.com/proddetail/d...327114388.html

https://www.amazon.in/BLACK-DECKER-G...s%2C375&sr=8-1

Last edited by AJ56 : 28th August 2022 at 13:10.
AJ56 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 15:28   #11509
R_R
BHPian

Complete novice on car paint care, so these questions are entirely out of ignorance. I've read through several threads here and am thoroughly confused. I am not interested in doing PPF, so let's leave that aside. This is primarily about ceramic coating, waxing etc.

If I am not sure it is possible to do safe washing techniques like using sprays and air drying etc, and if ceramic coating can't prevent damage with normal washing that most people do to their cars (apartment guards/car cleaning guy), is there any point to putting ceramic coating on a new car? Is it not better to leave the original paint as it is and do some kind exterior detailing every two years or so, to keep the paint looking relatively nice? What are the pros and cons?

Also, my car dealer is offering ceramic coating and a 'nano coating'. What is a nano coating? Is it done over the ceramic coating or as an alternative? And is it any good? Looking for answers from those who know better than me.
Old 14th September 2022, 20:04   #11510
BHPian

Both the terms are used interchangeably when referring to the same type of ceramic protection, please find out what is the brand of coating being used ?

Try to find a detailer outside to get your car properly detailed and protected.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 21:54   #11511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post

If I am not sure it is possible to do safe washing techniques like using sprays and air drying etc, and if ceramic coating can't prevent damage with normal washing that most people do to their cars (apartment guards/car cleaning guy), is there any point to putting ceramic coating on a new car? Is it not better to leave the original paint as it is and do some kind exterior detailing every two years or so, to keep the paint looking relatively nice? What are the pros and cons?
Ceramic coatings are not designed to stop swirls and scratches from improper washing, not even self healing PPF can hold up to the kind of abuse the daily cleaner inflicts.

Ceramic coatings are supposed to provide long term ease of maintenance, UV and chemical protection to your clearcoat from different environmental elements like acid rain, tree sap, bird droppings, etc. they increase the paints hardness and will resist minor wash induced surface marring like very fine swirls inflicted by a microfibre.

You can protect your paint with traditional polymer based paint sealants, but you will not get the increase in hardness or aggressive water beading and self cleaning offered by a pro level coating.

Considering you’ll be reapplying a wax/sealant much more frequently, over a 2 year period the coating actually works out much cheaper assuming you get both done by a pro detailer.

A major drawback to aggressively polishing paint every 1-2 years to get out deep swirls and scratches caused by poor wash technique, is the unnecessary thinning of your factory clearcoat as a few microns are removed every time you polish paint. Prevention is always better than the cure.

Also, the very fact they tried to sell a nano coating separately from a ceramic coating should be reason enough to not get it done from them, it’s like selling water and H20 separately

Last edited by AJ56 : 14th September 2022 at 22:08.
AJ56 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 13:11   #11512
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some help from the Bangalore experts.

A friend of mine who lives in Thanisandra area (Near Manyata Tech Park) is looking to get a full detailing job done on his 5 year old Honda City.

Apart from 3M, is there any good and reasonable car spa in that area which you have used and can recommend?

He would also like to fit a touch screen player so any recommendations for that would be much appreciated - which model and where to fit. Budget is 20k for the head unit.

Many Thanks & Warm Regards,
SS
Old 17th October 2022, 15:44   #11513
BHPian

Applied the Turtle wax seal and shine followed by sonax BSD few weeks back on my car, here are the results during recent rains.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20221009_153642.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20221009_153635.jpg
Sandegov is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 13:05   #11514
BHPian

Hi All,

I used the Turtle wax headlight lens restorer kit on my Honda City and I am not sure If I messed up or got the existing defects on the headlight to pop out more.

Attached images. There seems to be some clear coat peeling away from the headlight. This has been there since I got the car but I think it has now become more prominent since I used the kit.

I plan to get some decent sandpaper (400, 600 and 2000 grit...following Chrisfix on Youtube) and make another attempt on both the lights. Would that solve this issue?

I have only seen headlights with yellowed plastic or just a general haze on them. Mine seems to have some of the clear coat peeling off at specific points (not sure if the previous owner had already tried to restore the headlight and used some cheap clear coat) and I just wanted to check opinions here before I proceed.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20221018114937.jpg  

Last edited by JithinR : 18th October 2022 at 13:06.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 19:16   #11515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Hi All,

Attached images. There seems to be some clear coat peeling away from the headlight. This has been there since I got the car but I think it has now become more prominent since I used the kit.

I just wanted to check opinions here before I proceed.
All lights are clearcoated from the factory, over time this breaks down and turns yellow, if you don’t wetsand properly you will see cloudy patches of the old clearcoat on the lens. Here’s the process I follow-

1) Wipe down each lens with some waterless wash to remove dust.
2) Clay each lens to remove bonded contaminants and mask around the edges
3) Wetsand with 600 grit sanding discs attached to a short throw orbital sander.
4) Step up to 1200 grit discs
5) Step up to 2500 grit discs
6) Heavy cut compound (Mezerna 400)
with 3" coarse foam pad on a rotary polisher.
7) Finish out with a soft cut pad and Menzerna 3500 polish.
8) 25% IPA wipe each lens to remove polishing oils
9) 2 Coats of any high quality ceramic coating (Carpro CQuartz UK 3 for eg.) applied (1.5 hrs between each coat).

If your lights are not as bad you can start with 800 grit, or in case they're worse you might need 400 grit, rule of thumb when stepping up grit numbers is to double your current number so for eg. if you're using 1500 then the next step is 3000 grit.

Here’s what it should look like after the steps above-
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-6bf7b5b10c1f492298cbd38003ef58d3.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-5b5b4011150b425fa1f4b90513632034.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-07c81c5d49e74230a5730e7e481e29dc.jpeg  

AJ56 is online now   (48) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 15:27   #11516
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20221024_144748.jpg

Guys, please guide an easy way to remove paint spots on the car. Initially, I thought these were tar spots but on close inspection, I found the whole car was covered with tiny green spots. It is painful to see the car like this and the motivation to wash the car goes away seeing these stubborn paint specs. I have used car polish, petrol, diesel and sanitizer to remove these. Out of these things only sanitizer worked which I have to use 5 to 6 times repeatedly to remove paint specs from a small panel.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20221024_144739.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20221024_144440.jpg  

vivek2652 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 16:44   #11517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All lights are clearcoated from the factory, over time this breaks down and turns yellow, if you don’t wetsand properly you will see cloudy patches of the old clearcoat on the lens. Here’s the process I follow-
Very useful information, You did not apply any kind of clear coat at all?
Old 24th October 2022, 18:16   #11518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek2652 View Post

Guys, please guide an easy way to remove paint spots on the car.

only sanitizer worked which I have to use 5 to 6 times repeatedly to remove paint specs from a small panel.
Since you’ve already tried with a polish, use a heavy cut compound like Carpro Clearcut/Menzerna 400, 3D ACA, etc. and you’ll easily remove the paint spots. You will have to follow up with a finishing polish to remove the compound haze.

Please do not use hand sanitiser as that’s over 70% IPA in concentration and will swell and damage your clearcoat (max safe concentration for car paint is 20-25%). Also don’t use any paint thinners or other strong solvents like petrol/diesel.

I might add that any local detail shop will easily take care of these for you as it’s much faster with a machine than by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Very useful information, You did not apply any kind of clear coat at all?
Thank you. No I didn’t as I don’t have a paint booth + HVLP spray gun to apply clear properly. Just reapply the coating every 8-10 months and you’ll be good.
AJ56 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 08:41   #11519
BHPian

Quote:
Since you’ve already tried with a polish, use a heavy cut compound like Carpro Clearcut/Menzerna 400, 3D ACA, etc. and you’ll easily remove the paint spots. You will have to follow up with a finishing polish to remove the compound haze.

Please do not use hand sanitiser as that’s over 70% IPA in concentration and will swell and damage your clearcoat (max safe concentration for car paint is 20-25%). Also don’t use any paint thinners or other strong solvents like petrol/diesel.

I might add that any local detail shop will easily take care of these for you as it’s much faster with a machine than by hand.

Why not claying?

I have had very good success removing tar ,paint and sap from my paintwork with some clay
Old 25th October 2022, 11:35   #11520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek2652 View Post
I have used car polish, petrol, diesel and sanitizer to remove these. Out of these things only sanitizer worked which I have to use 5 to 6 times repeatedly to remove paint specs from a small panel.
Try Vaseline next time. It works well on coal tar stains, should work for paint stains also. You will need 2 consecutive applications for stubborn ones.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 25th October 2022 at 11:37.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks