Team-BHP > Technical Stuff


Reply
  Search this Thread
4,881,833 views
Old 29th September 2023, 14:48   #11656
BHPian
 
AJ56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 562
Thanked: 2,170 Times
Re: Dashboard repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Thanks for the advice. Lift was unavailable hence on the seller recommendation I went with a 500ML reset bottle for the time being. He suggested CarPro Descale but I assumed it would be harsher. Haven't used it yet. Probably will use it on my Figo and order Gyeon Foam for the maintenance washes of the verna. Will order Perl and Darkside as well. For leather will Gyeon Leather Cleaner do ?
Happy to help. Descale is slightly more acidic (6) than Reset but is overall perfectly safe on coated paint. Again, not for daily or weekly use, only when you find hard water spots that need it.

You can over dilute Reset slightly to reduce its harshness until you get the other bottle. Gyeon Leather cleaner is excellent for leather surfaces.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 18:32   #11657
BHPian
 
Nonstop-driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 675
Thanked: 774 Times
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

We got our car pooja done yesterday. Panditji went full artistic and covered most of the bonnet with his paintbrush dipped in sandalwood+vermilion paste. Couldn't say much then but I cleaned the bonnet today and this small patch refused to go away. Tried with a wet cloth and buffed with a dry one but no change. Any suggestions?
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-whatsapp-image-20230929-6.29.32-pm.jpeg
Nonstop-driver is offline  
Old 2nd October 2023, 19:52   #11658
BHPian
 
blackbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mlore/Blore
Posts: 215
Thanked: 623 Times
Re: Dashboard repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Happy to help. Descale is slightly more acidic (6) than Reset but is overall perfectly safe on coated paint. Again, not for daily or weekly use, only when you find hard water spots that need it.

You can over dilute Reset slightly to reduce its harshness until you get the other bottle. Gyeon Leather cleaner is excellent for leather surfaces.
Finally washed my car today with Gyeon Foam using JPT Pro Foam Lance. Just foaming the car and washing it with pressure washer was enough to clear up all the dirt and the car is shining again. Had purchased Car Pro Boa as well for wiping. The grey and orange one. Since I dont' have a leaf blower used the towels to dry the car off. One thing I did notice is these towels leave streaks. Another thing that is bugging me now is the Car even though detailed and ceramic coated it has a slightly hazy finish at certain parts when viewed with a mobile torch. I guess watching too much of the CCAD and pan the organiser videos on YouTube has made me desire for a near perfect finish
blackbandit is offline  
Old 3rd October 2023, 00:28   #11659
BHPian
 
AJ56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 562
Thanked: 2,170 Times
Re: Dashboard repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I cleaned the bonnet today and this small patch refused to go away. Tried with a wet cloth and buffed with a dry one but no change. Any suggestions?
Never let them apply that stuff to the paint, itís very corrosive and will swell the clearcoat if left long enough, Iíve seen cars where even heavy cut compounds failed to fully remove the staining left behind by this.

In your case itís reversible most likely as itís not been long, take it to a detailer and have them machine polish the affected area, use a medium cut compound like Menzerna 2000/2400. Protect with a wax/sealant afterward (apply to entire car ideally.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Since I dont' have a leaf blower used the towels to dry the car off. One thing I did notice is these towels leave streaks. Another thing that is bugging me now is the Car even though detailed and ceramic coated it has a slightly hazy finish at certain parts when viewed with a mobile torch. I guess watching too much of the CCAD and pan the organiser videos on YouTube has made me desire for a near perfect finish
With drying towels, to avoid streaks use a second dry towel after lifting water with the first one. If you continue to wipe with the first, you will get streaking. Even safer is to just dab, leave a few seconds and lift, then follow with dry towel. Leaf blower eliminates all this as well.

Phone flashlights are very weak and donít show much, use a powerful LED light and youíll see everything, haze can mean improperly applied coating or improperly corrected paint (fine swirls/holograms.)
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 09:20   #11660
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Pune
Posts: 50
Thanked: 31 Times
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Noob questions. It is not possible to wash the car everyday. So I am looking for dry wiping options. I have started using Jopasoo duster as I do not have access to Korean dusters. Now my questions are:

1.Is wiping with a wet 3m cloth better than dusting with a duster?
2.Some black sticky dots, that look like insect excretion cannot be removed by simple dusting. Can I use a wet cloth to remove only those?
3.I am getting Meguierís dry wash and foam pads. Is dry washing once a week enough instead of wet wiping with water every 2 days? Or a combination of both are required? Car gets dusty, not dirty
4. Is it enough to run the windshield sprayer to clean the windshield or is it better to dust it with a cloth before spray cleaning?
Neomobile is offline  
Old 4th October 2023, 11:07   #11661
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Pune
Posts: 50
Thanked: 31 Times
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomobile View Post
Noob questions. It is not possible to wash the car everyday.
Sorry for quoting myself. Had to suddenly go for work related matter. I live in an apartment, cars are very tightly parked with bikes and bicycles behind. So it is not possible to use foaming shampoo or car wash, or a leaf blower. Also no power chord is available near my car park. Hence Jopasu duster, even though AJ56 clearly says it puts minor scratches.
The only thing possible is to wipe the car, that too not bucket wash. Wet wipe by dipping, like the cleaning guys do. And of course spraying and polishing with no hindrance. What is the best way to proceed here. It is a new white Venue MT. It has factory paint with no coat or PPF.

Last edited by Neomobile : 4th October 2023 at 11:08.
Neomobile is offline  
Old 4th October 2023, 23:26   #11662
BHPian
 
blackbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mlore/Blore
Posts: 215
Thanked: 623 Times
Re: Dashboard repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Never let them apply that stuff to the paint, itís very corrosive and will swell the clearcoat if left long enough, Iíve seen cars where even heavy cut compounds failed to fully remove the staining left behind by this.

In your case itís reversible most likely as itís not been long, take it to a detailer and have them machine polish the affected area, use a medium cut compound like Menzerna 2000/2400. Protect with a wax/sealant afterward (apply to entire car ideally.)



With drying towels, to avoid streaks use a second dry towel after lifting water with the first one. If you continue to wipe with the first, you will get streaking. Even safer is to just dab, leave a few seconds and lift, then follow with dry towel. Leaf blower eliminates all this as well.

Phone flashlights are very weak and donít show much, use a powerful LED light and youíll see everything, haze can mean improperly applied coating or improperly corrected paint (fine swirls/holograms.)
Any suggestions for a decent economical leaf blower ? the black and decker 3030 seems to be not available on amazon and further seems to be quite expensive. How is this one https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09F9828MD/?tag=tbhp0e-21 or the Bosch GBL 82-270
blackbandit is offline  
Old 5th October 2023, 21:33   #11663
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Pune
Posts: 50
Thanked: 31 Times
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomobile View Post
3.I am getting Meguier’s dry wash and foam pads. Is dry washing once a week enough instead of wet wiping with water every 2 days? Or a combination of both are required? Car gets dusty, not dirty
After reading I have decided not to go with a waterless wash as I have no experience and probably would scratch the car badly. I am going with a rinse less wash, Proklear.

Quote:
4. Is it enough to run the windshield sprayer to clean the windshield or is it better to dust it with a cloth before spray cleaning?
For this I have decided to mix half strength Sonax wiper fluid that is 5ml in 1 litre, spray the same from a bottle and wipe the windshield with a micro fibre cloth.

Since the car does not have any paint protection, which one would be better? Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine - Improved Formula or Meguiar's Ultimate Car Polish for Maximum Gloss & Durable Paint Protection? Amazon reviews say that the Turtle Wax product is a dust magnet.

Experienced members, please guide if I am doing it right.

Last edited by Neomobile : 5th October 2023 at 21:38.
Neomobile is offline  
Old 7th October 2023, 19:22   #11664
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 20
Thanked: 45 Times
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hi Folks,

I just got my new Virtus and went to get Wax polishing done at the neighborhood detailing spa (don't feel comfortable going for a Ceramic coat somehow). The person suggested going for a 'Teflon' coating instead as the difference is just 3k and it will give a much longer lasting protection.

'Teflon' is of course not real teflon, but one coat of macine polishing with the following compounds (paint polish followed by surface compound). He will apply the same on the glass parts also to make them water repellent (if I understood him clearly).

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-pxl_20231007_131537182.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-pxl_20231007_131502105.jpg

My question to the gurus here:

1. Is it harmful for a brand new car to undergo this process?
2. If no, is there any benefit of using these on a new vehicle? Will it protect the paint and make it easier to clean? Are there better compounds to do the same job?
3. How do I take care of the car after this? The detailer recommends coming once every two weeks for a water wash.

The issue I am trying to solve is that it is currently a dust magnet and I am avoiding using the building car cleaner as much as possible, so need something which will protect the paint and make it easy to clean / maintain.
Manudon is offline  
Old 8th October 2023, 15:29   #11665
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Pune
Posts: 50
Thanked: 31 Times
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Today I used 3M glass cleaner to clean the windshield and windows. I sprayed it directly on the windshield and wiped it off with a dry dry micro fibre cloth as advised by the 3m car care guy. I don’t know if I was doing something wrong, but it left streaks on many parts of the windshield. A small spray using Hyundai’s wiper fluid mixed in water removed the streaks.

Last edited by Neomobile : 8th October 2023 at 15:38. Reason: Small typo
Neomobile is offline  
Old 8th October 2023, 21:23   #11666
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 4,172
Thanked: 5,716 Times
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I think you used more than the required quantity of glass cleaner. That's why it left streaks. They could be removed with a damp microfiber cloth as well
sagarpadaki is offline  
Old 9th October 2023, 19:18   #11667
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: KL-01
Posts: 7,731
Thanked: 4,364 Times
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Gentlemen, as pretty much everyone knows, It's sale season.
I am considering picking up a spray wax.
Shine is not a major consideration - My indica is white, and no matter what I do, or what i use, it looks the same. I get it mostly machine washed once a month or so at our local wash place.
I am seeing different waxes at different price points - I know the higher priced ones are more durable, but will they survive a machine wash - or several over so many months?
greenhorn is offline  
Old 9th October 2023, 23:45   #11668
Senior - BHPian
 
Cresterk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,494
Thanked: 4,961 Times
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Gentlemen, as pretty much everyone knows, It's sale season.
I am considering picking up a spray wax.
Shine is not a major consideration - My indica is white, and no matter what I do, or what i use, it looks the same. I get it mostly machine washed once a month or so at our local wash place.
I am seeing different waxes at different price points - I know the higher priced ones are more durable, but will they survive a machine wash - or several over so many months?
Waxes are generally less durable than synthetic sealants. You can try something like Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine which is generally considered to last for a few months atleast while still being cheap.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Finally washed my car today with Gyeon Foam using JPT Pro Foam Lance. Just foaming the car and washing it with pressure washer was enough to clear up all the dirt and the car is shining again. Had purchased Car Pro Boa as well for wiping. The grey and orange one. Since I dont' have a leaf blower used the towels to dry the car off. One thing I did notice is these towels leave streaks. Another thing that is bugging me now is the Car even though detailed and ceramic coated it has a slightly hazy finish at certain parts when viewed with a mobile torch. I guess watching too much of the CCAD and pan the organiser videos on YouTube has made me desire for a near perfect finish
That towel leaves streaks because there is too much water on the car. Use a waffle weave microfiber towel to remove most of the water and then follow up with the fluffy car pro towel and there will be no streaks at all. Or just use a leaf blower first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manudon View Post

'Teflon' is of course not real teflon, but one coat of macine polishing with the following compounds (paint polish followed by surface compound). He will apply the same on the glass parts also to make them water repellent (if I understood him clearly).

1. Is it harmful for a brand new car to undergo this process?
2. If no, is there any benefit of using these on a new vehicle? Will it protect the paint and make it easier to clean? Are there better compounds to do the same job?
3. How do I take care of the car after this? The detailer recommends coming once every two weeks for a water wash.

The issue I am trying to solve is that it is currently a dust magnet and I am avoiding using the building car cleaner as much as possible, so need something which will protect the paint and make it easy to clean / maintain.
Teflon has been outdated for years and I'm reasonably certain this "detailer" has no clue what he is doing. Both the bottles you posted are abrasive compounds meant to correct scratches and swirls on the paint. Neither are going to leave a coating and neither will protect your paint.

Yes it is harmful for a car to undergo this process for no reason as it takes off a layer of clearcoat each time it is done. A good detailer will do his best to take off only the smallest amount possible when compounding and polishing a car and he will apply a wax, sealant or ceramic coating after it is done to protect the paint.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 15:15   #11669
BHPian
 
AJ56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 562
Thanked: 2,170 Times
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomobile View Post
Noob questions. It is not possible to wash the car everyday. So I am looking for dry wiping options. I have started using Jopasoo duster as I do not have access to Korean dusters. Now my questions are:

1.Is wiping with a wet 3m cloth better than dusting with a duster?
2.Some black sticky dots, that look like insect excretion cannot be removed by simple dusting. Can I use a wet cloth to remove only those?
3.I am getting Meguierís dry wash and foam pads. Is dry washing once a week enough instead of wet wiping with water every 2 days? Or a combination of both are required? Car gets dusty, not dirty
4. Is it enough to run the windshield sprayer to clean the windshield or is it better to dust it with a cloth before spray cleaning?
1) Both methods will scratch, lightly dusting will scratch slightly less than wet wiping with a towel, dry wiping with any pressure will scratch the most, almost like taking sandpaper to paint.

2) Most likely those are tar deposits, spray some quick detailer and wipe the area down, followed by a tar remover to break down and remove the contamination.

3) Touchless washing will be the safest, failing which spray into a towel and wipe (waterless wash), flipping to a fresh side every panel (half a panel for larger ones), you will need at least 8-10 towels to do this and you will still inflict swirls but itís still much better than the other methods mentioned above.

4) Always remove dust from glass and wiper blades before using the wash and wipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Any suggestions for a decent economical leaf blower ? the black and decker 3030 seems to be not available on amazon and further seems to be quite expensive. How is this one https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09F9828MD/?tag=tbhp0e-21 or the Bosch GBL 82-270
Avoid the Bosch as it doesnít have enough power, it will work will but take very long to dry. The other one youíve linked is a cordless blower which can be used if you donít have access to electricity, if you do have access then stick to 3000W corded machines for the best performance.
There are many 3000W blowers on Amazon that should work. Order one which can be returned and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomobile View Post
After reading I have decided not to go with a waterless wash as I have no experience and probably would scratch the car badly. I am going with a rinse less wash, Proklear.

For this I have decided to mix half strength Sonax wiper fluid that is 5ml in 1 litre, spray the same from a bottle and wipe the windshield with a micro fibre cloth.

Since the car does not have any paint protection, which one would be better? Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine - Improved Formula or Meguiar's Ultimate Car Polish for Maximum Gloss & Durable Paint Protection? Amazon reviews say that the Turtle Wax product is a dust magnet.

Experienced members, please guide if I am doing it right.
You need a pressure washer to do a rinseless wash correctly and safely, in your case given the extreme limitations, I would suggest driving to a local car wash once every few days and have them do a contactless wash with foam cannon and a pressure washer and use their compressor to dry.

Turtle seal n shine in a decent sealant that will protect the paint, wipe down with 25% IPA after washing before applying the sealant. Meguiarís ultimate polish and no protection, itís a mild abrasive meant to remove defects, ideally with a machine polisher.

Better than wiper fluid, use 25% IPA solution mixed with distilled water in a spray bottle. Donít spray directly on the windshield, use two towels, spray into the first and wipe with the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manudon View Post
Hi Folks,

'Teflon' is of course not real teflon, but one coat of macine polishing with the following compounds (paint polish followed by surface compound). He will apply the same on the glass parts also to make them water repellent (if I understood him clearly).

1. Is it harmful for a brand new car to undergo this process?
2. If no, is there any benefit of using these on a new vehicle? Will it protect the paint and make it easier to clean? Are there better compounds to do the same job?
3. How do I take care of the car after this? The detailer recommends coming once every two weeks for a water wash.
Please go to a professional who knows what heís doing, they can burn/irreversibly damage paint on a new car otherwise.

A compound is used before a polish, not after. Also, you donít need to compound a brand new car unless it has deep swirls/scratches. There are many other steps in paint prep between washing and machine polishing, like clay, tar and ferrous removal, etc. do not skip these.

1) Itís not harmful to machine polish, provided the detailer knows what heís doing and uses a gauge to assess how much paint heís removing, anything more than 1-2 microns is not needed on a new car.

Repeatedly machine polishing every few months is definitely damaging and uncalled for unless one refuses to wash the car safely, thereby re introducing swirls and scratches.

2) polishes and compounds have no ability to protect, they are abrasives designed to remove paint defects with a machine. To protect, use a good quality ceramic coating or at the very least a paint sealant. Better compounds: Menzerna 400, Menzerna 2000, 3D ACA 500, Carpro Clearcut. Note: these are heavy-medium cut compounds only used for deeper defects generally not needed on new cars (with exceptions.)

3) Contactless washing, safe contact washing with a ph neutral shampoo in a foam cannon with preferably soft water, etc.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 21:51   #11670
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Pune
Posts: 50
Thanked: 31 Times
Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
4) Always remove dust from glass and wiper blades before using the wash and wipe.
First of thanks a lot for your reply. Was hoping that someday you would reply when you get time. For the above mentioned point do I remove the dust with a dry towel or duster first before wiping? Now I have bought a hand pump sprayer, the garden variety and spray RO water on the windshield and the sunroof to get rid of the dust, then spray the wiper solution (which I will change to diluted IPA as advised). Then wipe it dry with a micro fibre towel.

Any recommendation for a good dashboard cleaner for regular cleaning that is mild and does not leave a strong smell?

You have cautioned against the rinseless wash due to lack of a pressure washer, shall I go back to the dry wash that you have mentioned (with the Meguiar’s product, that I had asked)?

I am planning to buy the black and Decker cordless leaf blower. Let me see if it cleans more or puts more dust from the surrounding pillars and walls. Mine is next to the entrance wall. ( Hopefully after cleaning the walls a few times with the blower, the car will get cleaned more than dust falling from the walls!)

And finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post

2) Most likely those are tar deposits, spray some quick detailer and wipe the area down, followed by a tar remover to break down and remove the contamination.
Being new to this I do not know what a quick detailer is. I can search on the Net but dot want to get it wrong. Can you name a few specific products. I have read that many people use a diluted Proklear for this purpose before using a tar remover. Is that okay?

Last edited by Neomobile : 12th October 2023 at 21:53.
Neomobile is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks