Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 09:59   #4156
BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

@blackasta: Thanks! So can I go with Meg Tech Wax(sealent actually) instead of a Carnauba Wax? Or should i apply a coat of carnauba wax after Meg tech wax(sealent)?

@samsag12: Thanks and its been a long time!
OT - And I would like to tell you that I still have my Premier Padmini and have not sold it!

I do not think I should use a polish as both my cars are less than a year old! And how about the microfiber towels of 3M? I am asking so because it would be easier for my dad to get them all together in one go! Are they pricey and not so effective? I have sent them a mail to know the prices and stuff. Hope i get a reply soon! :-)
Cheers!
Old 16th February 2011, 10:44   #4157
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
@blackasta: Thanks! So can I go with Meg Tech Wax(sealent actually) instead of a Carnauba Wax? Or should i apply a coat of carnauba wax after Meg tech wax(sealent)?

@samsag12: Thanks and its been a long time!
OT - And I would like to tell you that I still have my Premier Padmini and have not sold it!

I do not think I should use a polish as both my cars are less than a year old! And how about the microfiber towels of 3M? I am asking so because it would be easier for my dad to get them all together in one go! Are they pricey and not so effective? I have sent them a mail to know the prices and stuff. Hope i get a reply soon! :-)
Cheers!
Tech wax is enough, carnauba is just a topping on it, adds not much value as in our conditions, it will strip off in less than a week. Which 3M micro are you referring to? The ones sold in retail are yellow, they are good only for buffing and nothing else. The blue ones are the REAL stuff, but they are not sold in retail and need to be sourced, if possible ,through contacts. Where did you email for prices?
Old 16th February 2011, 10:52   #4158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Try to do the following:

wash (maybe turtle wax platinum or better car wash)
clean (use clay - try to use the meg's/mother's. See if you can manage some jopasu clay)
paint correction - this is optional (use scrathx/swirlx/uc)
polish - use sonax - this is easily found.
seal - use tech wax nxt 2.0

All of these will take 3-4 hours and your back might ache like anything, but you would love the result!
Old 16th February 2011, 11:19   #4159
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
where can i get WD-40 in Bangalore. Any suggestions ?
Old 16th February 2011, 12:36   #4160
BHPian

NXT Tech Wax 2.0 has been very popular. But the sealant/wax to get now seems to be Megs "Ultimate Wax", a 2011 release I believe, which is now listed at Amazon.
Old 17th February 2011, 00:13   #4161
BHPian

Freakmuzik,

Just to add to what others have suggested, you can consider

- Microfiber towels - Yellow ones are for buffing only. Soft & flexible, you will not be able to clean the body & glass effectively. The blue ones from Jopasu & 3M are multipurpose, use for washing, wiping, buffing etc. 3M are exceptionally good, available only through certain channels.

- Car shampoo - Amway shampoo is also good, VFM, & soft on the hands.

- Clay - Jopasu clay is available locally, you can use it to remove bug remains & tar too. Without claying the surface to remove the bonded contaminants, even the worlds best sealant would not be able to bond & cure properly to the surface !

- Sealant - Megs NXT 2.0 is good, havent tried out the the new Ultimate wax. You can consider Collinite 845 insulator wax which is now available, which is a very durable wax.

- Car duster - Do consider a Jopasu duster, a boon in our dusty conditions. It removes dust like magic ! Regular use of it will reduce your need to keep washing the car.

Turtle wax, Formula 1, Abel, Waxpol,etc are all average products & dont produce any exceptional results.

What is the condition of the paint that you are trying to detail ? It would depend on the paint condition too. If you have lots of swirls, then you would be looking at swirl removal too.
Old 17th February 2011, 23:35   #4162
BHPian

@mkh: Thanks for your advice. I thought of getting the blue ones actually. I mailed to 3M's "contact us" option, in their Indian website. I got a reply first asking the items required. I mailed them and am waiting for a reply!

@blackasta: Thanks! My mom would be too happy after looking at your post! She has been pushing me hard to do some exercise!! Btw, is there a need to polish? My car is just a few months old and doesn't polishing reduce the paint thickness?

@nirmaljusdoit: Thanks! I thought of contacting 3M bangalore or directly through their website! Hope something works out well. Actually, my nano has a good amount of swirls! Thanks to the washing done by the service center and the 3M coating done at the T.A.S.S. My car got a 2nd coating done a few days back. So I think i will have to use the swirl remover for my nano atleast. Its just 6 months old! And my Wagon-r is just a couple of months old and luckily have not done any "supposed to be teflon" coating! lol. I will be doing all these only in May once my exams get over!!
I might as well need a swirl remover for my nano. Didnt think of it. Any suggestions?
Cheers!
Old 17th February 2011, 23:51   #4163
Senior - BHPian

10 days after using Kangaroo's long last wax, I washed my car and it is still beading as good as ever. Previously when I used Formula 1(the original), beading will not be strong after 10 days and will be absent at about 2 weeks.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:04   #4164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
- Clay - Jopasu clay is available locally, you can use it to remove bug remains & tar too. Without claying the surface to remove the bonded contaminants, even the worlds best sealant would not be able to bond & cure properly to the surface !
I've waxed my car a few times (of course with a gap of few weeks in between). I'm not too happy with the results. I realize it must be because I hadn't prepared the surface (doesn't feel smooth).

Could you please let me know where I can get Jopasu or any other good brand of clay in Bangalore? I've tried a few places including Reliance Autozone - they either don't have it or seem totally puzzled!

Last edited by CBlazer : 21st February 2011 at 16:07.
Old 21st February 2011, 17:15   #4165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I've waxed my car a few times (of course with a gap of few weeks in between). I'm not too happy with the results. I realize it must be because I hadn't prepared the surface (doesn't feel smooth).

Could you please let me know where I can get Jopasu or any other good brand of clay in Bangalore? I've tried a few places including Reliance Autozone - they either don't have it or seem totally puzzled!
Try contacting Mr. Sham from Automall(based in Bangalore)! - Products - Auto-Mall.in

Or Mr. Sanjay from BBImpex( I think they have Meguiars clay kit) - www.bringingbest.com, New Delhi, India

Or the 3M showroom there might have megs clay kit too - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...bengaluru.html

Old 21st February 2011, 18:59   #4166
Senior - BHPian

got my material: now to get started

Guys, after going through this thread I got myself this armory of material for my Silver VDI. She has one scratch on it but otherwise paint is good, No swirls. A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010389.jpg

From left to right Mother's clay (got a friend to bring from US), Vista dashboard cleaner from MK Retail, CMH Rd, Zip wax, turtle wax and tyre foam Rhyme and Rhythm, Colaba, Collinite from sanjay@bringingbest.com The Sqeegee and Scotchbrite Fibre Remover from some mall.

I had been using Formula 1 shampoo and the Formula 1 wax till now. Plan wash > clay > turtle wax > Collinite

A closer look at the Clay package and its contents
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010390.jpg
Old 21st February 2011, 19:50   #4167
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Finally my detailing kit is updated once again except the major component DA polisher. I am missing that very badly.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01951.jpg  

Old 27th February 2011, 19:14   #4168
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how to i clean foam pad ? Do we need to buy foam pad cleaner from US or any other way to clean it?
Old 27th February 2011, 20:49   #4169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Guys, how to i clean foam pad ? Do we need to buy foam pad cleaner from US or any other way to clean it?
allow it to soak in warm water preferably with detergent like surf/arial for half hour and then squeeze to remove any dirt and wash in cold water.dry it
Old 27th February 2011, 22:50   #4170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
allow it to soak in warm water preferably with detergent like surf/arial for half hour and then squeeze to remove any dirt and wash in cold water.dry it
I am having DA polisher pad, just wondering if putting in hot water make Velcro to come off from the foam pad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks