Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 16:52   #4066
BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Teambhpians this is a new machine we got. It is a backpack steam machine. Saves water, does better cleaning especially from nooks and crannies. Got it from Italy. The model is SC-05 from Imexserve.
Posting some photographs of the before work being done. I shall post photos of the after work later on.
Uses just 1-1.5 litres to clean the whole car.
How much time does it take to clean the whole car? Power bills are sure to be outrageous with this!
Old 14th January 2011, 17:51   #4067
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
How much time does it take to clean the whole car? Power bills are sure to be outrageous with this!
Smashnerd,
I do not know how much is the power cost there at your end, but it is around Rs.6-8/unit in Mumbai depending on who the service provider is (Reliance or Tata).

As regards to the costing, it is simple. The amount of power used is 2.5kw max. You are using the steam machine for about 20 minutes. So you are roughly consuming .8kw (maximum) if you do not stop using the machine for the full period. One wash with Reliance will cost Rs.6.4 and with Tata it will be Rs.4.8.

Considering the cost detailing centres charge Rs.200-300 for a steam wash this is peanuts.

Steam outweighs many other methods as it can blow out contaminants from places where you cannot get to easily.

Hope that clarifies why we bought this machine.
Old 14th January 2011, 17:55   #4068
BHPian

Quote:
Smashnerd,
I do not know how much is the power cost there at your end, but it is around Rs.6-8/unit in Mumbai depending on who the service provider is (Reliance or Tata).

As regards to the costing, it is simple. The amount of power used is 2.5kw max. You are using the steam machine for about 20 minutes. So you are roughly consuming .8kw (maximum) if you do not stop using the machine for the full period. One wash with Reliance will cost Rs.6.4 and with Tata it will be Rs.4.8.

Considering the cost detailing centres charge Rs.200-300 for a steam wash this is peanuts.

Steam outweighs many other methods as it can blow out contaminants from places where you cannot get to easily.

Hope that clarifies why we bought this machine.
Yup, thanks for clarifying my doubts. BTW, does one need special training or something to operate this or is the manual enough?

Also, where did you order it from and how deep a hole has it left in your pocket?
Old 14th January 2011, 19:20   #4069
BANNED

Quote:
Yup, thanks for clarifying my doubts. BTW, does one need special training or something to operate this or is the manual enough?

Also, where did you order it from and how deep a hole has it left in your pocket?
Smashnerd,

You can check out their video on youtube. We saw it and liked the concept.

As regards to the cost I think you will have to send them an email and take a quotation. We are planning to buy quite a lot of machines so our quote was for volume purchase.

If you are planning to purchase for your personal self it may be expensive. But if you have a lot of car lovers where you reside, like a reasonable society, it is very economical. In Mumbai where we have 20-100 cars parked in a society the water saving is more important. The quality is unparalleled so it does not take much convincing.
Old 14th January 2011, 20:05   #4070
BHPian

Quote:
If you are planning to purchase for your personal self it may be expensive. But if you have a lot of car lovers where you reside, like a reasonable society, it is very economical. In Mumbai where we have 20-100 cars parked in a society the water saving is more important. The quality is unparalleled so it does not take much convincing.
Well, the cleaning ability of the unit is quite amazing, really. But, aren't scratches caused by the repeated running of the microfiber cloth without cleaning it. Won't the dust particles get clogged up in the MF? Or does the steam clean it too on the go?
Old 14th January 2011, 20:25   #4071
BANNED

Quote:
Well, the cleaning ability of the unit is quite amazing, really. But, aren't scratches caused by the repeated running of the microfiber cloth without cleaning it. Won't the dust particles get clogged up in the MF? Or does the steam clean it too on the go?
Smashnerd,

The machine has two compartments. One is for water and the other is for eco-friendly shampoo containing a shining ingredient. Initially when you put the shampoo (heated), the lubrication is there. For one car we normally use 2 wet squeezed mf cloths (constantly changing sides). Then the final wipe is with a suede mf cloth.

When you are planning to put a sealant then we do not use the wax/shampoo. Only a plain wash. But for regular maintainability we like the concept of their SWS product.

No scratching at all. This is our observation. (Even in our Indian conditions). Our tip is to use proper mf cloths of the highest quality. The one we use is 550 gsm plush type.
Old 14th January 2011, 20:38   #4072
BHPian

Quote:
Smashnerd,

The machine has two compartments. One is for water and the other is for eco-friendly shampoo containing a shining ingredient. Initially when you put the shampoo (heated), the lubrication is there. For one car we normally use 2 wet squeezed mf cloths (constantly changing sides). Then the final wipe is with a suede mf cloth.

When you are planning to put a sealant then we do not use the wax/shampoo. Only a plain wash. But for regular maintainability we like the concept of their SWS product.

No scratching at all. This is our observation. (Even in our Indian conditions). Our tip is to use proper mf cloths of the highest quality. The one we use is 550 gsm plush type.
Nice! Thanks for the detailed observations and usage tactics. Looking forward to some extreme makeover type pictures.
Old 14th January 2011, 21:40   #4073
BANNED

Quote:
Nice! Thanks for the detailed observations and usage tactics. Looking forward to some extreme makeover type pictures.
Smashnerd,

I will try and take the photos during the weekend. To give you more insight on the mf plush cloth we use I am sending you the brochure we received from the supplier in Korea.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-plush-550.jpg  

Old 14th January 2011, 22:17   #4074
Senior - BHPian

^Damn!! Thats some super plush and really deep weave!!!

Really great for QDing and QWing!!

I use a armor all 'polishing' cloth that I got from Dubai and it has like 0.6cm long fibers on both sides and its quite great for QDing too!

I wish I could get some of Aquartz ones. They look seriously awesome!
Old 15th January 2011, 16:53   #4075
BHPian

Can i use a synthetic chamois for washing my car too? If no, what type of clothe should i use? Can i use a normal Glass Clothe( white colour with border)?
Old 15th January 2011, 19:54   #4076
Distinguished - BHPian

genuine chamois is expensive and hard to come by!
Old 16th January 2011, 21:11   #4077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Can i use a synthetic chamois for washing my car too? If no, what type of clothe should i use? Can i use a normal Glass Clothe( white colour with border)?
For washing your paint carefully, you need a good quality wash mitt.

For drying, you need a waffle weave drying towel.

Chamois can be used! but if you are using it, always blot dry!!! never drag chamois on the paint and after each blot dry, turn it around and inspect for any contaminants or dirt!
Old 17th January 2011, 07:52   #4078
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
For drying, you need a waffle weave drying towel.
We prefer using suede microfiber. The waffle weave is just alright. The suede especially in dark colors leaves no water marks, no need to use it dry. Just squeeze completely after wetting and wipe. We do not dry completely. The moisture left is so little that it evaporates while you move to the next panel. This ensures you are not marring the paint with dry cloth (no matter which you use).
Old 17th January 2011, 20:19   #4079
BHPian

@sohail99, ThinkBig : Thanks for your reply. I came across a green coloured wash mitt which seemed really soft. And it looked exactly like this: https://www.chemicalguys.com/v/vspfi...lewashmitt.jpg

I just thought I would consult with T-Bhp members before buying it and am searching for the microfiber/waffle weave. Another thing is, the place where my dad parks our Wagon-R is prone to bird droppings and Coconut tree flowers too and the car already bears a mark of the coconut flower which I am not able to remove. Is there any way to remove it. Please do note that I have not done any treatment for paint protection from the time i purchased the car. And does waxing help remove these stuff easily? Or else what should i do?
I intend to wax the car only in a few months time as my exams are fast approaching. Would that be fine? Your valuable suggestions please.
Old 17th January 2011, 20:55   #4080
BANNED

Note from Mod : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on the board, whether directly or indirectly.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2011 at 17:53.
ThinkBig is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks