Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 18:48   #4081
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
@sohail99, ThinkBig : Thanks for your reply. I came across a green coloured wash mitt which seemed really soft. And it looked exactly like this: https://www.chemicalguys.com/v/vspfi...lewashmitt.jpg

I just thought I would consult with T-Bhp members before buying it and am searching for the microfiber/waffle weave. Another thing is, the place where my dad parks our Wagon-R is prone to bird droppings and Coconut tree flowers too and the car already bears a mark of the coconut flower which I am not able to remove. Is there any way to remove it. Please do note that I have not done any treatment for paint protection from the time i purchased the car. And does waxing help remove these stuff easily? Or else what should i do?
I intend to wax the car only in a few months time as my exams are fast approaching. Would that be fine? Your valuable suggestions please.
That is a microfiber chenille mitt and its ok for a wash!! be sure to use the 2-bucket method!

Personally, I wouldn't park a car under a tree as the bird poo is sure to damage the clearcoat!!

Waxing is a way to protect the paint surface and it isn't, in any way, going to remove any stuff stuck to the paint.

For removing tree sap(coconut flower!?) you can try claying, paint cleaner or vinegar(diluted in a spray bottle) and in case nothing is working, then try a diesel soaked rag.
(but after using diesel on the paint, wash the area thoroughly with car wash shampoo)

If you have a rubbing compound or a polish, that will help too(as a last resort)

Wax is to be used only when you are satisfied with your paint appearance and want to seal the shine so that the shine lasts longer and so that cleaning the paint next time is easier.

Last edited by sohail99 : 18th January 2011 at 18:51.
Old 18th January 2011, 19:50   #4082
BHPian

To all the car care gurus, I park my black car in an open field in my college(from 8am-3pm) and the sun heats up the car's surface like a frying pan

I use a dashboard protectant to protect the dash from drying up and i also use Meguiars' tech wax 2.0 which has UV protectors which claim to protect the paint from sun. Sun films are installed on the windows except on the windshield. Is the wax doing a good job or should i do something more to protect my car.?
Old 19th January 2011, 00:42   #4083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
<snip>Another thing is, the place where my dad parks our Wagon-R is prone to bird droppings and Coconut tree flowers too and the car already bears a mark of the coconut flower which I am not able to remove. <snip>
Bird poo is bad news. Use a microfiber towel wetted with water or a quick detailer and gently lift up the dropping - do not wipe/scrub the poo since apparently it could be abrasive.

Check the technique here:
How to safely remove a dried bird dropping - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
Old 19th January 2011, 00:53   #4084
BHPian

^For additional interior protection you could also use a full windshield sunshield like the one here:
Amazon.com: Max-Reflector Standard Sunshade: Automotive

The pro is that you could save the interior from direct sunlight.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:21   #4085
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
To all the car care gurus, I park my black car in an open field in my college(from 8am-3pm) and the sun heats up the car's surface like a frying pan

I use a dashboard protectant to protect the dash from drying up and i also use Meguiars' tech wax 2.0 which has UV protectors which claim to protect the paint from sun. Sun films are installed on the windows except on the windshield. Is the wax doing a good job or should i do something more to protect my car.?
Thats the best you can do in the current circumstances, keep applying tech wax regularly. IF you get hold of a high quality AIO polish, use that every 2-3 months and then apply sealant/wax. You do get windscreen sun protection guards also( not sure if i am using the right term here), those protect the dashboard too from the heat
Old 19th January 2011, 14:18   #4086
BHPian

Can someone summarize the best products for each category? Cleaning/Polishing etc? going through 273 pages is a bit overwhelming.

Thanks
Old 19th January 2011, 14:24   #4087
Senior - BHPian

Should the Formula 1 scratch out be applied using a MF cloth? I gave a not so serious try a few weekends back, it did not remove any swirls. I'm sure if I can work harder I can get atleast some results, but is MF cloth right for this process?
Old 19th January 2011, 15:16   #4088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Should the Formula 1 scratch out be applied using a MF cloth? I gave a not so serious try a few weekends back, it did not remove any swirls. I'm sure if I can work harder I can get atleast some results, but is MF cloth right for this process?
Foam applicators are best for applying rubbing compounds, waxes polishes. MF cloth to be used to buff the remaining unwanted polishes of the surface post polishing.
Old 19th January 2011, 15:45   #4089
Senior - BHPian

@DieselFan:Do you mean something like this?
Old 19th January 2011, 16:58   #4090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
@DieselFan:Do you mean something like this?
yes but these are expensive. use a good quality sponge in the shape which is convinient for you to apply.
Old 19th January 2011, 21:50   #4091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
yes but these are expensive. use a good quality sponge in the shape which is convinient for you to apply.
These are expenisve since they get it from US as mentioned "We would like to inform you that all items sold on cart2india online store on ebay are sourced from USA". If these were available in India, it should not cost more than Rs 100-200.

Good thick Microfiber should also do a job. The problem is not with MF, but with Formula 1 scratch remover. I had tried this, and it don't seem to remove any scratches. QUIXX is one of the best scratch remover.
Old 20th January 2011, 02:51   #4092
BHPian

Anyone here tried Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine ? I'm very tempted to order this:
Amazon.com: Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine (ONR) 32oz: Automotive
through one of the online shopping gateways.

Please let me know (by PM would be nice too) if you have any advice to offer regarding the product and a decent online shop like 20north, iccworld etc.

I asked cart2indiaonline/ebay to list this product along with this deep pile microfiber
eBay India: MONSTER MICROFIBER EXTREME THICKNESS Microfiber Towel (item 270693915690 end time 16-Feb-2011 17:12:28 IST)

They promptly listed the above which is nice. However, while the price for the microfiber seems reasonable that for ONR seems relatively excessive (inspite of my request to recheck their quoted price, they do not seem to want to budge).

Muchos Gracias
Old 20th January 2011, 10:47   #4093
Senior - BHPian

@conoco,
Go for ONR. I have see the blore guys(ultimate detailzers) use it extensively. Best VFM product. Its like a all in one product also.
Old 20th January 2011, 22:27   #4094
Senior - BHPian

i used an orbital buffer on my brand new linea. after putting the wax i discovered that i had inscribed swirl marks all over.
i tried removing these by using a swirl remover polish and rotary buffer too with norton liquid ice polishing pad. but i am not able to remove them at all.

even the 3M guy tried on one patch but couldnt clear them off. he says they will remain and even if they are removed they will come back as the color is dark. he showed me brand new cars, also a bmw had swirl marks.

my color is tuscan wine.

also i found it difficult to handle the rotary polisher. it kind of jumps here and there. any tips on using this professionally?
Old 20th January 2011, 22:55   #4095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i used an orbital buffer on my brand new linea. after putting the wax i discovered that i had inscribed swirl marks all over.
i tried removing these by using a swirl remover polish and rotary buffer too with norton liquid ice polishing pad. but i am not able to remove them at all.

even the 3M guy tried on one patch but couldnt clear them off. he says they will remain and even if they are removed they will come back as the color is dark. he showed me brand new cars, also a bmw had swirl marks.

my color is tuscan wine.

also i found it difficult to handle the rotary polisher. it kind of jumps here and there. any tips on using this professionally?

If you are a novice using a rotary is a big NO.because it is very unforgiving.You can easily burn your car's clear coat using rotary.Use a Dual Action buffer first and AFAIK for beginners and semi professionals its more than enough.mkh and nirmal can throw more light on this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks