Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 12:04   #4006
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

@remingtonsteele,
Car looks superb. I can understand how difficult to obtain the same gloss as on dark colors compared to white.

With regards to UQD, You need not clean the whole car to remove a small portion of dirt, that's when UQD comes into help. Just spray on the dirt area and wipe it off. It's like an intermediate between your full car wash.
Detailing Guru's correct me if i am wrong.
Old 29th December 2010, 12:36   #4007
BHPian

Thanks rk_sans.
I was thinking if Black UQD containing Hydrophobic polymer will add to protection and gloss if applied over Collinite-845. (as it is post Collinite the finish is super smooth and super glossy with depth).

Here attached are some more pics clicked in my parking.

Checkout the Alloy finish.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_9273.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-2.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-3.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-4.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-5.jpg

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 29th December 2010 at 12:46.
Old 29th December 2010, 12:40   #4008
Senior - BHPian

^You are right!

UQD is aimed such that it encapsulates the the dust particles which are then lifted off the paint with a microfiber towel. (as in, it can be used if there's teeny bit of dust on the panel)

Then this again raises the doubt that how much dust is ok to use UQD directly? That again depends on the nature of the dust, for how long the dust has been there, was it the dust left behind when water(typically rain) evaporated etc.

But I'd recommend you dust the car with a duster(jopasu or similar) first and then move to UQD. Just to reduce the potential of instilling swirls.

If its the dust left behind is by evaporating rain water, then wash and then UQD.
Old 29th December 2010, 20:37   #4009
BHPian

Hi guys!
Just today in the evening, I don't know how this wacky idea hit me.

Actually, I am going to only shampoo and clean the car tomorrow, so I thought why not use the softest paint brush to apply the car shampoo.

I just want to apply the shampoo and agitate it safely without a wash mitt (although I have 4 microfiber towels) without causing swirls. Is this idea worth taking a risk?

@sohail99- As you too live in Delhi, how do you manage to keep your car clean in such untimely rains?
Old 29th December 2010, 23:09   #4010
Senior - BHPian

I use a sable hair paintbrush to agitate the soap in the door jambs and other difficult to reach areas (Ideally a boar's hair brush is to be used as its super soft yet good for removing grime)
a brush might be useful when you're trying to remove something like baked on bird poo but I wouldn't use it anywhere else on the body

But I seriously wouldnt recommend using it on the car's body where a microfiber mitt can easily and safely do the job. (If you're still curious, pick a test area and try the brush there and check for any swirls before and after the use with a strong flashlight!(make sure that the flashlight is at least 3-4 feet away from the paint at all times while inspecting!)

My car remains clean, all thanks to the 3 covers I use!

Last edited by sohail99 : 29th December 2010 at 23:16.
Old 29th December 2010, 23:24   #4011
BHPian

Can I use a microfiber towel to apply shampoo to the panels and also to agitate the solution?
Old 30th December 2010, 14:50   #4012
BHPian

@Abhi,
i use the MF for this purpose sometimes.

But I would suggest, you use a good quality washing sponge instead.

@ STEELE,

yes, the tail lamps does look very nice and shinning like new ones.

The alloys are done really great.

These pictures angle are better.

Great work. I think you can do wonders with DA !

Last edited by nandans2005 : 30th December 2010 at 14:57.
Old 30th December 2010, 15:49   #4013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
@ STEELE,

yes, the tail lamps does look very nice and shinning like new ones.
The alloys are done really great.
These pictures angle are better.
Great work. I think you can do wonders with DA !
Thank you nandans2005.
How I wish, I could afford/justify getting a DA, may be some day I will overcome that feeling.
Thats the reason I envy you Bangy Guys, you have MKH and Nirmal who are ready to share their knowhow as well as the equipment.
Old 2nd January 2011, 07:29   #4014
Distinguished - BHPian

Nirmal/mkh: When is the next session planned? I missed the last one. (unfortunately, weekends are harder for me as I can bunk office on week days but can't free myself up from family chores on weekends) But I am very keen to attend the next session. Thanks.

Btw, where to buy isopropyl alcohol and xenon/led torch in Bangalore? I underestimated the need for these and but realized these are more important then anything else :-)
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:02   #4015
BANNED

Androdev

You can buy LED/Xenon torches from National Market - 1st floor (shop adjacent to Staircases). The shop carries Britelitge (the best one), philips, and some other brands as well.
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:34   #4016
Senior - BHPian

@androdev,
IPA will be available in any of the surgical stores. Where do you leave ? Try finding any surgical stores nearby, if not there are lot near KR market area.
Old 2nd January 2011, 17:56   #4017
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks folks. Will try those places. I live near Hennur cross, I also camp near ISKCON area (in-laws) often.
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:29   #4018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Thanks folks. Will try those places. I live near Hennur cross, I also camp near ISKCON area (in-laws) often.
Ok, then there is one in malleswaram. It is on 11th cross(Old ICICI bank building) and i think the shop name is called "Vasu Scientific"(do not remember the full address).
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:56   #4019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Ok, then there is one in malleswaram. It is on 11th cross(Old ICICI bank building) and i think the shop name is called "Vasu Scientific"(do not remember the full address).
Thanks! Malleswaram would be super convenient. Searched and found "Vasa Scientific Company" No.95/1, Opp To Mallige Apartments, 11th Cross, 4th Main, Malleswaram, Bangalore - 560003 +(91)-(80)-23566386"

Will check it out by this weekend and update if I got lucky.

Btw, I see plenty of Eveready-type LED torches in regular shops, how does it compare to a xenon torch for spotting swirls?
Old 4th January 2011, 00:14   #4020
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Malleswaram would be super convenient. Searched and found "Vasa Scientific Company" No.95/1, Opp To Mallige Apartments, 11th Cross, 4th Main, Malleswaram, Bangalore - 560003 +(91)-(80)-23566386"
When you buy IPA look for the concentraion index indicated by % v/v. It can go from 60% to 90%. The price will also vary. When you use it on your car the recommended strength is 50% v/v. So if you buy 70% v/v IPA you will have to do some complex ratio adjustment with distilled water in mixing bottles to bring it down to 50%. Do not use a concentrated solution as it may not be kind to your CC. Also, an expiry date is usually mentioned on the label - primarily for medical applications, but is best to buy fresh stock.

Quote:
Btw, I see plenty of Eveready-type LED torches in regular shops, how does it compare to a xenon torch for spotting swirls?
The best light to spot swirls is direct sunlight. If you cannot see swirls in sunlight you are swirl free. You need a light source when you are working in the shade to check how well you are doing in removing them. Any bright white light will work. If you have a emergency fluroscent light at home, you can use it.

Rgds

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks