Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2010, 14:25   #3856
BHPian

Shamanth - First the sealant needs to be applied, buffed off & then allowed to cure on the paint for a minimum of 12 hours. Care to be taken that its not exposed to moisture or rain. the best would be to apply previous evening & leave on overnight.

You can also apply another top up layer to ensure all spots are covered.

Once the polymers cross link & bond to the paint, then you can go ahead to apply a pure wax like Collinite 845 for adding the gloss & depth to the paint !
Old 30th November 2010, 14:58   #3857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Shamanth - First the sealant needs to be applied, buffed off & then allowed to cure on the paint for a minimum of 12 hours. Care to be taken that its not exposed to moisture or rain. the best would be to apply previous evening & leave on overnight.

You can also apply another top up layer to ensure all spots are covered.

Once the polymers cross link & bond to the paint, then you can go ahead to apply a pure wax like Collinite 845 for adding the gloss & depth to the paint !
@nirmal

thanks nirmal, i will try to get NXT Tech Wax and Collinite 845, Collinite 845 i can get it from BB IMpex. Will check where i could get NXT tech wax.

Got confused as Mike Phillips of autogeek was telling this,
"whether it's a car wax or a paint sealant, you only need to use one or the other, not both. You can use both if you like, that's personal preference, but you don't have to."
Old 30th November 2010, 15:15   #3858
Senior - BHPian

Nirmal,
Just to add to what shamanth was asking, order of applying would be as follows right ?
1.Clay (If possible)
2.Tech Wax
3.Collinite

Also which shampoos does not remove the collinite layer. Can you name some which are available locally. I see most of them as Wash n Wax.
Old 30th November 2010, 16:08   #3859
VMC
BHPian

Guys need to know if this polisher is a good one.
http://amazonin.tarazz.com/Black-Dec...12068&sr=1-167
Basically my budget does not allow me to buy a 10k DA polisher.
IF this is not a good one please suggest a product that is under 5K.

Also can any one of the detailing gurus guide me to the best product/s for each of the below steps needed to bring back one's car into life.
I currently use the ones as in the brackets.

1) Washing-- Product name? (currently using a turtle wax high gloss car shampoo..not happy with this..)
2) MF cloth -- Product Name? ( I use a Norton MF cloth and a wash mitt)
3) claying- Product name? ( I do not have one)
4) Scratch remover --product name? ( KIT scratch remover)
5) Car Wax--Product name? ( I have a Formula One Polish and Dupont teflon Car wax)
6) Chrome polish --Product Name? ( Mothers choice Chrome polish)
7) Wheel Cleaner/Disc brake clearner-- Product name? ( I use a Formula One All Wheel Gold Cleaner)
8) Tyre Dresser-- Product name? ( Turtle WaX Wet n Black)

Please note this thread is very confusing to newbies like me to car detailing since it has a lot of information being passed by some very talented and knowlegeable members. Atleast for me I do not know which one to buy ,the exact procedure to follow and the best method to be used for detailing.
UC, 105, 205, NXT, Collinte, Dewalt the different MFs...very confusing
I am sorry...I am a little slow to comprehend all the info provided here.

Please can any one of you summarize the best practices that need to be followed by a newbie like me. I always keep my car clean but detailing is the next setp and I really want to try a hand in this.
Old 30th November 2010, 16:44   #3860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMC View Post
Amazon.com: Black & Decker WP010B 10" Waxer/Polisher: Automotive

Also can any one of the detailing gurus guide me to the best product/s for each of the below steps needed to bring back one's car into life.

1) Washing-- Product name? (currently using a turtle wax high gloss car shampoo..not happy with this..)
5) Car Wax--Product name? ( I have a Formula One Polish and Dupont teflon Car wax)
7) Wheel Cleaner/Disc brake clearner-- Product name? ( I use a Formula One All Wheel Gold Cleaner)

Please note this thread is very confusing to newbies like me to car detailing since it has a lot of information being passed by some very talented and knowlegeable members. Atleast for me I do not know which one to buy ,the exact procedure to follow and the best method to be used for detailing.

Please can any one of you summarize the best practices that need to be followed by a newbie like me. I always keep my car clean but detailing is the next setp and I really want to try a hand in this.
All these products below 5k will just apply wax, wont be much help removing swirls and very less powerful compared to normal DA polisher which is of 500W and this one around 60W. And smilar products are available in ebay india where you can get polisher with this B&D specification for 1.5-2k.

You will get a Good rotary polishers for around 5k, but its better to be done by professional as it might burn paints.

And its better to buy from amazonUK of shopyourword, you would not need any voltage converters for the same.

Last edited by shamanth : 30th November 2010 at 17:01.
Old 30th November 2010, 16:59   #3861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Sure, just PM me your number, lets talk and coordinate this. We will do a small area and then you can see the results to move ahead. I suppose your ANHC is the same color as mine- Hab Red?

Can I also join this exercise? I too have HR colored Civic. Did some basic stuff so far and would like to see an expert in action.
Old 30th November 2010, 17:24   #3862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
@nirmal

thanks nirmal, i will try to get NXT Tech Wax and Collinite 845, Collinite 845 i can get it from BB IMpex. Will check where i could get NXT tech wax.

Got confused as Mike Phillips of autogeek was telling this,
"whether it's a car wax or a paint sealant, you only need to use one or the other, not both. You can use both if you like, that's personal preference, but you don't have to."
Yes, Mike's right when he says its a matter of personal preference, ive found that in our harsh conditions, the more protection that one has on the surface its better ! A polymer sealant will give the basic protection & a wax on top that better effect as well as protection !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Nirmal,
Just to add to what shamanth was asking, order of applying would be as follows right ?
1.Clay (If possible)
2.Tech Wax
3.Collinite

Also which shampoos does not remove the collinite layer. Can you name some which are available locally. I see most of them as Wash n Wax.
Yes, that's right, you can use the Sonax gloss shampoo available locally, its available in the Shell outlets or the Spar stores. Its BMW approved & I use it for all my washing needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Can I also join this exercise? I too have HR colored Civic. Did some basic stuff so far and would like to see an expert in action.
Sounds like a mini detailing meet happening ! This would be nice to see
Old 30th November 2010, 18:27   #3863
BHPian

Has anyone used/reiviewed Waxoyl products ??
Check this out Opulent India - Total Car Care and safety solutions : About Us
They also deal in Madico sunfilms. They claimed to be approved by various respected automative brands.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 30th November 2010 at 18:30.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:34   #3864
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure, we will coordinate, PM me your number. No experts- just enough practice and most importantly- great enthu! Once i go expert, will charge per hour, even to teach!
Old 30th November 2010, 18:37   #3865
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMC View Post
Amazon.com: Black & Decker WP010B 10" Waxer/Polisher: Automotive

Most of the things have equal or better alternatives, based on how much you can pay. However the one that stands apart from the rest IMHO is the 3M micro. That has no equal ( even those bought abroad) and is very cost effective. Its a must. Another thing is the california duster- these 2 are MUST haves ( or Jopasu Duster)
Old 30th November 2010, 18:42   #3866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me also know, i would like to visit as a spectator to see the experts at work.
Old 30th November 2010, 20:15   #3867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Let me also know, i would like to visit as a spectator to see the experts at work.
Sure rk_sans, will inform you too ! It would be good to have more members along ! This would be unique, the first detailing meet in TBHP

VMC - If you would also like to join, we will coordinate, please PM your details, you can visit & it would be a good discussion ! Most of the products you mentioned are available from many good brands. Once you have removed the contamination, swirls & scratches, then its as simple as just maintaining the finish with a duster, some good MF's, a sealant & wax, along with a good tire shine & plastic dressing.

MKH - Lets coordinate for a B'lore detailing meet to be held soon, it would be a nice occasion for us all to share our experiences ! Over time, we could also coordinate with other knowledgeable members like Sohail/Garipagol to come out with a guide to detailing for benefit of other members,what say ?
Old 30th November 2010, 21:18   #3868
BHPian

@nirmaljusdoit: Can i join to watch the process too?
Old 1st December 2010, 16:45   #3869
BHPian

Job "Whale done!!!"

Hi All,

Its been quite sometime that i started looking for car detailing work for my ikon. It was aging by the exterior paint worn outs but the heart(engine) was still young. I possessed this machine way back in 2005 as my dream car. The skin had become too dull and swirl marks on it made me to lookout for sale. But when enquired with ***, heard the paint was in good condition and required mere car detailing work on it.

Had recently bought my second car Figo, got 3M polish as free service but wasn't quite satisfied with quality. So did not want to go for it for my 5+ yr old ikon, which had deep swirl marks on it almost everywhere.

Tried the demo at Sai colorium, quoted 2000 for it but the results were not satisfactory. Was looking for some option of car detailing, where i can learn the process by myself and get the detailing done to my satisfaction for a reasonable cost. Thanks to T-bhp, i found a car enthusiast- "mkh" who owns ANHC and results on it were awesome coz of their passion towards it. I went and saw the car in person and immediately asked him to do my car over with his products. He was doing it so patiently that I could feel that genuinity towards his work. For much lesser cost than a 3M treatment, i got a much better work done and that too from car care lovers, who have a passion for this. Now i know how to maintain the finish now, will go for another round after 6-8 months now.

I did learn the entire process of car detailing, used Megauire products. I must say "WHALE DONE"

Let the pics do the rest of the talk.

Posting few pics here of Before and After.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0098.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0101.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0099.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0100.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0104.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img00280201011111125.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img00281201011111125.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img00282201011111125.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img00283201011111126.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img00284201011111126.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img00285201011111126.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0102.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0105.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0309.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0310.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0311.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0312.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0313.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0315.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0316.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0317.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0318.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc_0319.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img00288201011111253.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img00289201011111253.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img00290201011111253.jpg  

Old 1st December 2010, 16:50   #3870
Senior - BHPian

Stunning results!

Kudos MKH, I'm mostly a silent reader of thread. I am interested in doing the same things to my car as well. But find it difficult to get hold of the Meg's products.

Aren't there any cheaper options available locally, say in Bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks