Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 18:47   #3721
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Hmmm... from the pics he knows what he's doing! Which is great!

but the machines he uses are standard ones! nothing extraordinary!

For compounding, he's using a rotary polisher and for applying a sealant, he using a orbital waxer! (Chk out post no. 4 here - SwirlX with orbital waxer? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online )
The best part is he has no problem in explaining every step to the customer. He used to use Farecla products before he developed his own. He sells them commercially and not to individuals. Also that orbital waxer he says is designed by him, it must have some different things from other orbital waxers. Im sure most of them are different from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Whats that "steaming" process? Seen it as a item on Car cleaning packages. But what exactly do they do? Can it be done at home?
They used some steam gun kind of thiing, and cleaned the interior with it. If you have the machine im sure you can do it at home.
Old 30th October 2010, 08:53   #3722
BHPian

Nice results Notorious !

Please do share some daytime pics & the process you followed !!
Old 30th October 2010, 14:27   #3723
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

btw did a section of my i20 today and used SwirlX with a orange pad!

I thought SwirlX wont be able to handle the swirls(more like RIDS) but after 2-3 passes It cleaned up defect free and LSP ready!!!

I've heard that ppl dont get good results with SwirlX when applying it with hand! Its a totally different story with a machine!

Sorry no pics as I was working in the evening and evaluating the surface with the swirl finder light!

)
I used SwirlX today, now i have used all possible products on the car
First pass had done UC on the bonnet , driver side doors and right side panel- did not remove all the swirls
Had done 105 on the rear panel and left doors- it cleared up almost all
UC on the roof- it did the job perfectly well
Today had to apply something to remove those which did not clear up on the first pass, areas to apply were Bonnet, Lower side of right doors, rear panel and the front of the boot
SwirlX is the easiest to use, just apply and keep the DA on it till the compound breaks up and clears up! Had to run a couple of passes over some areas, but it worked easily with no effort needed to remove the compound( unlike 205, 105 and even UC which needed rubbing off at times)
Good part- car is swirl free( almost) but now i am not sure what to use if someone asks me to recommend
However, i feel that for minor swirls,use Swirl X, a couple of passes should do, its the easiest to use amongst the lot
I found UC good enough, 205 did not clear up swirls that much for me.

Last edited by mkh : 30th October 2010 at 14:28.
Old 30th October 2010, 17:30   #3724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Whats that "steaming" process? Seen it as a item on Car cleaning packages. But what exactly do they do? Can it be done at home?
Maybe you would like to check out the following link:
Steam cleaner, steam cleaners, steam cleaning, steam vapor cleaners
Old 30th October 2010, 18:00   #3725
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread has moved on a long way since it's beginning and its title. It now represents the skills and abilities that we do have among our members
Old 30th October 2010, 22:55   #3726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
I used SwirlX today, now i have used all possible products on the car
First pass had done UC on the bonnet , driver side doors and right side panel- did not remove all the swirls
Had done 105 on the rear panel and left doors- it cleared up almost all
UC on the roof- it did the job perfectly well
Today had to apply something to remove those which did not clear up on the first pass, areas to apply were Bonnet, Lower side of right doors, rear panel and the front of the boot
SwirlX is the easiest to use, just apply and keep the DA on it till the compound breaks up and clears up! Had to run a couple of passes over some areas, but it worked easily with no effort needed to remove the compound( unlike 205, 105 and even UC which needed rubbing off at times)
Good part- car is swirl free( almost) but now i am not sure what to use if someone asks me to recommend
However, i feel that for minor swirls,use Swirl X, a couple of passes should do, its the easiest to use amongst the lot
I found UC good enough, 205 did not clear up swirls that much for me.

Exactly!!(regarding the text in bold!)

I've tried many polishes and compounds and each of them contributed to the swirl free finish! But I'm still looking for 'that perfect polish'!! Hope I find it lol!

But seriously, mkh man I really respect you and others who maintain their cars swirl free!! Kudos guys!

---

I'll be working with one-steppers next to determine whether they can be a replacement to multi-step compounding and polishing or not!

Multi step compounding and polishing takes a looottt of time to complete if done correctly and perfectly!

(Imagine using M105 on a panel(max 2-3 passes) > stripping > M205 (again 2-3 passes) > stripping > any finer polish/glaze (2-3 passes(jeweling)) > Stripping(if no glaze used!)

Now multiply that to the number of panels on the car! and you're looking at more than 36-48hrs of continuous work! i.e. a full detail might take a lot of days(considering that you work 6hrs on the car each day!))

If a one-step product can accomplish the task of removing, say... 1500 grit sanding scratches and finish absolutely swirl free and LSP ready, then it'll really encourage the detailer enthusiasts to get a swirl free finish and will save loads of time and energy!
Old 31st October 2010, 15:51   #3727
Nos007

Some answeres from notorious's side :

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Nice results Notorious !

Please do share some daytime pics & the process you followed !!

Thanx sirji , Pics comming soon. Heres the process i followed on every panel. because i can only work max 2-3 hrs per day , i do only one panel at a time and put sealent (techwax) before driving the car. as it is diwali season , the car is runnong daily and i have no other option.
  1. Clay
  2. pass(s) of megs UC
  3. pass(s) of menzerna 203s
  4. pass(s) of megs 205
  5. coat of srp
  6. then seal the finish with techwax2.0
after 24 hrs , apply another coat of techwax2.0 followed by 3m show car paste wax .

and for maintainance , i will be using eagle one nano spray wax as i have no other option.

Last edited by Nos007 : 31st October 2010 at 15:53.

Old 31st October 2010, 16:28   #3728
Senior - BHPian

I think he should've started straight away with Menzerna PO203

Since its kinda like a one step product, it should've finished swirl free and LSP ready!

and show car paste wax is again a synthetic sealant(contains polymers)
Old 31st October 2010, 17:46   #3729
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos007 View Post

Thanx sirji , Pics comming soon. Heres the process i followed on every panel. because i can only work max 2-3 hrs per day , i do only one panel at a time and put sealent (techwax) before driving the car. as it is diwali season , the car is runnong daily and i have no other option.
  1. Clay
  2. pass(s) of megs UC
  3. pass(s) of menzerna 203s
  4. pass(s) of megs 205
  5. coat of srp
  6. then seal the finish with techwax2.0
after 24 hrs , apply another coat of techwax2.0 followed by 3m show car paste wax .

and for maintainance , i will be using eagle one nano spray wax as i have no other option.
Just my 2 cents- this looks like an overkill. Not sure if UC, then 203 and then 205 is needed! UC in itself is aimed to be one step solution. Also 3M over NXT adds no value IMHO.
Old 31st October 2010, 23:36   #3730
Nos007

ok , will him to try with menzerna 203 only.

here are some pics of finished bike after a run in dust
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02408.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02409.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02411.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02412.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02414.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02415.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02416.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02418.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02420.jpg  

Old 31st October 2010, 23:39   #3731
Nos007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Just my 2 cents- this looks like an overkill. Not sure if UC, then 203 and then 205 is needed! UC in itself is aimed to be one step solution. Also 3M over NXT adds no value IMHO.
it does , the "wetness" of paint is there with 3m and not with nxt.

Old 1st November 2010, 00:30   #3732
Senior - BHPian

Paint looks nice and vibrant! Good job!

but the polish residue is there on the seat!
Do remember to remove that before it adheres/bakes on there!
(btw whats that sticker residue kinda thing near the seat-fuel tank junction?)

Also, if possible detail and dress all the black parts such as the engine block, exhaust, plastics, rims etc.

After that your bike will look great!

Last edited by sohail99 : 1st November 2010 at 00:32.
Old 1st November 2010, 06:36   #3733
Senior - BHPian

Noticed couple of new waxes in walmart. Does anyone have experience of using these?

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-30102010001.jpg

The auto glym pack costs USD 30 something

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-30102010.jpg
Old 1st November 2010, 08:19   #3734
Senior - BHPian

Check this out - Autoglym HD - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Regarding Zymol, I've only used their QD so cant comment on their cleaner waxes!

But you can buy if its cheap to try it on and see how it compares to Megs cleaner wax!
Old 1st November 2010, 08:40   #3735
Nos007

Quote:
Paint looks nice and vibrant! Good job!

but the polish residue is there on the seat!
Do remember to remove that before it adheres/bakes on there!
(btw whats that sticker residue kinda thing near the seat-fuel tank junction?)

Also, if possible detail and dress all the black parts such as the engine block, exhaust, plastics, rims etc.

After that your bike will look great!
Thanx sohail , glad you liked it !!!

its a residue of megs 205 , thinking how to remove it. any sugessions ???

it was a protector sticker , its there from last 1.5 years but someone removed it intentionally , foam is very tough to remove as its 3M. its removing on its own slowly.

black parts are dressed 2 weeks ago , a service and dust messes up all. thank god the paint is saved .

bajaj service people washed my bike inspite of telling not to wash it. thank god that i was there and saved my bike , they wass all bikes with nirma washing powder !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Noticed couple of new waxes in walmart. Does anyone have experience of using these?
you can gift me anything i will not mind (notorious)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks