Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 14:20   #3841
Distinguished - BHPian

@nirmal

whoa!your bimmer looks stunning !How long did it take you to detail the car including washing,claying and polishing?

And where did you buy the cobra and 3M microfibers?please gimme the link.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:54   #3842
mkh
Senior - BHPian

NOTHING beats a black car treated with expert hands! I did my friends ikon and it was eye popping- so is the Beamer, Nirmal. The pic of the bonnet is amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hello Experts,

I got my first lot on this sunday and Iam keen on testing SWIRLX on my ANHC, is UC a mandatory to start as Iam waiting for it. But can't resist myself in trying out. Any special attention one needs to take? I would be doing this by hand as I don't have a DA

Attachment 460716
What do you intend to achieve with hand and using SwirlX? I suggest not wasting time and energy unless just want to hide swirls. Take a DA - if you do not wish to buy, check with nirmal, i paid him a "usage" amount and used his DA to get my car treated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
whoa!your bimmer looks stunning !How long did it take you to detail the car including washing,claying and polishing?

The 3M are not sold in retail, yours truly got em and passed it to nirmal. They are indeed the best and most durable indeed. Nothing comes close to 3M in all purpose cleaning. Viking, Megs etc are good, but far from 3M. PM me if you need them, can pass on some spares one i have
Old 29th November 2010, 14:59   #3843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post

What do you intend to achieve with hand and using SwirlX? I suggest not wasting time and energy unless just want to hide swirls. Take a DA - if you do not wish to buy, check with nirmal, i paid him a "usage" amount and used his DA to get my car treated.

I would not recommend buying a DA unless you are really going to use it regularly and looking for a professional level finish. For a new car, hand polishing job is more than enough unless you have some serious swirls or scratches. I dont plan to buy or rent a DA at any time. I could manage to remove/hide all swirls and scratches on my car with the usual detailing cycle recommended here using hand.
Old 29th November 2010, 15:33   #3844
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I would not recommend buying a DA unless you are really going to use it regularly and looking for a professional level finish. For a new car, hand polishing job is more than enough unless you have some serious swirls or scratches. I dont plan to buy or rent a DA at any time. I could manage to remove/hide all swirls and scratches on my car with the usual detailing cycle recommended here using hand.
That is why i did not buy it yet. However my experience says- its a very useful tool indeed. I have seen huge swirls even on a new car, they need to be looked at carefully though sometimes( in fact that is the nature of swirls till they get heavy). I did over 6 hours of hand rubbing and had almost no impact hence went for a DA. Ample reading and investigating can be done on this to decide what to do. An expert saw my car with no DA applied and said- your swirls are hidden, however i could not take it when i saw it under light (especially in the night) and they used to throw up big time.
If you use a simple method,you will be amazed at how they show up, it brought all my efforts to nothing almost :(
It all depends on what level of correction one wants, i just wanted them to go away!( and mine was a 2 months old car)
Old 29th November 2010, 16:03   #3845
Senior - BHPian

^^
Thanks. Yes, I am not a perfectionist, because I know my car washer will any way create a new swirl the very next day of removing it! Unless I have full control on the cleaning of my car, it is very difficult for me to convince myself to spend that kind of time, money and effort to keep a moving, scratch prone "machine" spic and span, that too in a city like Bangalore. I already have problem with using any powered device at my parking lot since I stay in an apartment. Not able to utilize the car wash stuff that I bought online because I dont trust my apt car washers to handle them properly. The only thing I am doing so far is to dust the car using my CD, clay, polish and wax, all by hand. Very tiring for a big car like Civic with a lot of metal surface and a glossy metalic paint.

Last edited by vasoo : 29th November 2010 at 16:05.
Old 29th November 2010, 16:13   #3846
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
^^
Thanks. Yes, I am not a perfectionist, because I know my car washer will any way create a new swirl the very next day of removing it! Unless I have full control on the cleaning of my car, it is very difficult for me to convince myself to spend that kind of time, money and effort to keep a moving, scratch prone "machine" spic and span, that too in a city like Bangalore. I already have problem with using any powered device at my parking lot since I stay in an apartment. Not able to utilize the car wash stuff that I bought online because I dont trust my apt car washers to handle them properly. The only thing I am doing so far is to dust the car using my CD, clay, polish and wax, all by hand. Very tiring for a big car like Civic with a lot of metal surface and a glossy metalic paint.
You are right, but then the joy of seeing a car with great finish is enough to compensate for the effort. As for washing, why does the car need washing now? Mine does not get washed unless it rains a lot and mud splatters. If you give your guy a wash mitt and micro(3M's), what swirls can come in a month, will come maybe in 3 months. Thats my idea now, delay the swirls and once in about 8-10 months, remove em with a DA! You can avail of my services for a proper job now(since am kinda pro at it)
Old 29th November 2010, 17:45   #3847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
You are right, but then the joy of seeing a car with great finish is enough to compensate for the effort. As for washing, why does the car need washing now? Mine does not get washed unless it rains a lot and mud splatters. If you give your guy a wash mitt and micro(3M's), what swirls can come in a month, will come maybe in 3 months. Thats my idea now, delay the swirls and once in about 8-10 months, remove em with a DA! You can avail of my services for a proper job now(since am kinda pro at it)
MKH,

I would like to do this under your supervision then, let me know the best time. Iam still waiting for few more Meg products to reach me (UC and others).

Cheers
Raghu
Old 29th November 2010, 19:41   #3848
Senior - BHPian

Amazing work Nirmal Sir!

The hood is literally liquid!!

The flakes really pop!

btw Yes M105 dusts like hell!!
Instead of adding more product, I'd suggest that you just spray a lil water on the face of the pad to re engage the dried abrasives.(Since its non diminishing abrasives, they become active again when wet!)

That way you save product and the powder flying around is lesser!

I too used Wolfgang DGPS and as far as my experience goes, It went on and I was able to remove it easily after about an hour!

IMO NXT2.0 is definitely easier to remove but I didn't have any prob with DGPS either. Applying a thin layer helps a lot when removing!

------------------------------------------------------------------

btw tried CG eazy creme glaze and FK425 spray detailer/sealant on my hatch!

(No proper sealant has been applied in the pics)

I was quite surprised as I hadn't seen such reflections before(on the hatch)

(btw the hatch has been corrected and jeweled previously!)

(After the pics I applied WGDGPS but didn't take any pics after removal as it was already dark :( )
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0006.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0007.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0008.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0009.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0010.jpg  

Old 29th November 2010, 23:13   #3849
BHPian

Awesome results Sohail.

Finally I managed some time to take pics of my small collection.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-_mg_1480.jpg

-- Sets of Microfibres (8 of them).
-- Meg even coat applicator packs
-- Formula 1 Scratch Out
-- Turtle Wax Wet'n'Black Tire Shine
-- Meguiar Show Car Glaze #7
-- Meg PlastX
-- Meg Ultimate Quik Wax
-- Meg Quik Detailer
-- Meg Clay Kit
-- Meg Cleaner Wax
-- Meg NXT Tech Wax 2.0
-- Meg. Wash Mitt
-- Collinite 845
-- Meg Polymer Sealant (still to arrive).

I clayed the roof of my Swift using the clay kit, applied #7 and then sealed with NXT Tech Wax 2.0, and the results were truly amazing. But it was too dark to take the pics.
buntydey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2010, 23:37   #3850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Can one, or a few of you guys, compose a guide on detailing? Covering all the aspects like washing, polishing, blah blah. It will really benefit members since im sure the mods will make it a sticky, and then people dont have to search in this thread for basic answers.

What say guys?
I absolutely agree. I'm so confused with the amount of varied information this thread has. Yeah, I'm new to DIY kind of car detailing.

Can someone please suggest me car wax which is light on pocket, easier to apply and holds for long? and should be easily available in Pune!!
Old 30th November 2010, 00:32   #3851
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
MKH,

I would like to do this under your supervision then, let me know the best time. Iam still waiting for few more Meg products to reach me (UC and others).

Cheers
Raghu
Sure, just PM me your number, lets talk and coordinate this. We will do a small area and then you can see the results to move ahead. I suppose your ANHC is the same color as mine- Hab Red?

@Sohail- you are killing us man, i really am amazed beyond words at the mirror finish, what a smasher of a pic you have posted! Just would love to have that on my car. BTW- what all are you buying and from where all! Did you try the pinnacle wax, its superb!
Old 30th November 2010, 09:01   #3852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Is the sealant different from Wax ? I have a liquid wax so i thought that will do sealing job? Is the sealant applied after waxing ?

Collinite Insulator Wax is this the one? Its for glossy finishing after sealant is it?
A sealant would be composed of synthetic ingredients like polymers which would have a longer life & better bonding as compared to a natural ingredient based wax, with easier application. It can also be layered, which helps it to better bond with the paint & takes care of spots missed during the initial application. Thats why its named "Tech wax"

Yes, Collinite insulator wax is the one, which contains carnauba, a natural ingredient. It will give you added protection, depth & gloss, with great water beading ! You can order it locally from BB IMpex.

Apply sealant first & let it cure for minimum 12 hours, then top off with Collinite !
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Thanks Sagar ! It took me approximately 2 hours to complete only the trial portions, The 3M towels i got from MKH, they are simply amazing, i use them to dry water off the body post washing, cleaning glass, seat covers, polishing, buffing, etc. Great durability too. Cobra i got bundled along with some other products with one of my orders from Autogeek.

MKH - Thanks for the compliments man, your experience with multiple products was very useful for me, the 3M towels made my life a whole lot easier !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Amazing work Nirmal Sir!

The hood is literally liquid!!

The flakes really pop!

btw Yes M105 dusts like hell!!
Instead of adding more product, I'd suggest that you just spray a lil water on the face of the pad to re engage the dried abrasives.(Since its non diminishing abrasives, they become active again when wet!)

That way you save product and the powder flying around is lesser!

I too used Wolfgang DGPS and as far as my experience goes, It went on and I was able to remove it easily after about an hour!

IMO NXT2.0 is definitely easier to remove but I didn't have any prob with DGPS either. Applying a thin layer helps a lot when removing!

btw tried CG eazy creme glaze and FK425 spray detailer/sealant on my hatch!
Thanks Sohail ! Appreciation from a master detailer like you is an awesome compliment to achieve ! The flakes popping out in sunlight really took my breath away, the Wolfgang is surely contributing to it !

I did try the water adding previously but found the residue removal to be really tough, as the 105 was sticking to the surface. I need to experiment with lesser quantity of water i think. Will try different combination's.

When i applied the WGDGPS, the temp was 22 deg, i think it needs more time to fully dry & get off the surface, will try applying a thinner layer next time ! After curing, the surface is super slick to the touch, i am liking this product !

Amazing work on your love
The shine is like a mirror, the depth & gloss are simply mind blowing !
This is nothing less than the best of show car finish !
Old 30th November 2010, 09:43   #3853
Senior - BHPian

If M105 is sticking to the surface, try spraying some IPA directly on the residue and then remove it!

in place of water, you can use a mist of QD(QD will reduce the cut a bit, but will keep the abrasives lubricated for longer than water)

and thanks for the complements buntydev, Mkh and Nirmal sirs

and please, I ain't no master detailer lol!

ppl with flex and stuff are the masters!
Old 30th November 2010, 11:40   #3854
BHPian

@Sohail: Thats fantastic result as always
I am really confused which of the results you posted till date are better ?

Why don't you, MKH and Nirmal divide the country and get on with the Demo tours for Team-BHP members? your knowledge in this regard will ease the learning curve for us.
Old 30th November 2010, 12:36   #3855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
A sealant would be composed of synthetic ingredients like polymers which would have a longer life & better bonding as compared to a natural ingredient based wax, with easier application. It can also be layered, which helps it to better bond with the paint & takes care of spots missed during the initial application. Thats why its named "Tech wax"

Yes, Collinite insulator wax is the one, which contains carnauba, a natural ingredient. It will give you added protection, depth & gloss, with great water beading ! You can order it locally from BB IMpex.
So its either Wax(natural wax) or Sealant(synthetic wax), not one over the above right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks