Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 18:47   #3601
Nos007

@ahwajid : how do you plan to bring these things down ???

otherwise a great list , just add the clay kit and change the supreme shine micro fibre towel from one pack to three pack as you will require them during your detailing session.

also , i dont think that spending for glass cleaner is justified , we have better options here !!! and same stands for car wash too.try sonax gloss shampoo concentrate.

Last edited by Nos007 : 14th October 2010 at 18:49.

Old 14th October 2010, 19:18   #3602
BHPian

Thank you Nos007 for the response. I have someone who would be coming next month and would get them along.

So, glass cleaner and car wash are out and Clay Kit in. Removing swirls without a polisher is doable?
Old 14th October 2010, 21:24   #3603
BHPian

Ahwajid - I agree with what Nos007 recommended :

In addition :

- You can get the microfiber wash mitt too, washing is the main reason of putting swirls into the paint. This will help you avoid it. Take a look at the car washing videos to get an idea of how to wash your car properly !

- If you want to remove swirls then you would need Megs Ultimate Compound. Awesome stuff to remove swirls by hand. If working it in by hand you will need applicators too. But be warned, its pretty tough to remove swirls by hand !!

- Get the liquid NXT instead of the paste, it will be easier to apply a thin coat & buff it off !

- Get some applicators too, you will need them to apply the NXT sealant & other products.(microfiber/foam)

- Megs endurance tire gel is an awesome product. Do get that ! Will make your tires stand out & good durability too. Ive been testing it on Blore's lunar landscape & its performed very well !

And don't forget to post pics of before & after ! happy detailing
Old 15th October 2010, 00:46   #3604
Senior - BHPian

Meguiar's coming to India

I happened to bump into the a gentleman who works for Meguiar's on my flight to Hyderabad today, and was told by him that Meg's is planning to come into India in a big way. This is their 1st year.

He going around the country trying to setup their dealer network.

His contacts if anyone has questions:

Matt Davies mwdavies@meguiars.com

Twitter: Meguiars.Asia
YouTube: Meguiarsasia
Facebook: Meguiars.Asia

Best way to get in touch with him is via Facebook..

I was pleasantly surprised to know that 3M is the parent company of Meguiar's !!

cheers!
Srini

Last edited by smsrini : 15th October 2010 at 00:49.
Old 15th October 2010, 11:15   #3605
BANNED

TW Super Hard Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Thanks! I'm relieved that at least it isn't a bad wax.

The price difference is huge unlike you mentioned, Turtle wax Hard Shell is 235/- where as Collinite is 1200/- plus. I was looking for a wax that doesn't cost more than 300-400. As a beginner I was thinking of starting out with comparatively cheaper products and as I get the hang of detailing I'd move to professional products (hopefully by then I'd be able to get a house with my own garage too).

I was impressed with the shine and smoothness it gave to the paint surface and wouldn't mind using it a few more times before moving on to Eagle One's Nanowax (paste) and then Collinite and its likes.
Folks Super hard Shell has been selling since the time the company got formed. Now it is a 2.5 Billion dollar company. Though they periodically come out with more and more new waxes this SHS has still been there for everyone to buy. It is a quality protective wax. Not a beauty wax. Everyone talks about other waxes but the life of this wax beats all. So if one is not a fanatic for the temporary lustre and loves waxing every 15-30 days then this is the wax for him. Collinite is good but in longevity it would lose out to SHS.

Now for the application. Take the yellow round foam pad and dampen it. Take a very little of the green paste, and form a 2'X2' border with it. Like drawing a square. then in circular fashion fill the box with product. Remember the thinner the application the easier it would be to remove. Now for the removal, just take a finger test. It should be easily removable and not smear. If it smears, wait. This condition of time will depend on the atmospheric condition. Remember always do this in a shaded area. Once the finger test shows no smears start removing with a Microfibre cloth. Constantly rotating the sides so that wax residue is not put back on the surface. You will see the final results by spraying a mist of water on the waxed and buffing again with a fresh mf cloth. I have used SHS for 14 years and have had no application complaints.

Let me know if anyone still has a problem.
Old 15th October 2010, 12:33   #3606
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I happened to bump into the a gentleman who works for Meguiar's on my flight to Hyderabad today, and was told by him that Meg's is planning to come into India in a big way. This is their 1st year.

He going around the country trying to setup their dealer network.

His contacts if anyone has questions:

Matt Davies mwdavies@meguiars.com

Twitter: Meguiars.Asia
YouTube: Meguiarsasia
Facebook: Meguiars.Asia

Best way to get in touch with him is via Facebook..

I was pleasantly surprised to know that 3M is the parent company of Meguiar's !!

cheers!
Srini
3M bought meguiars about a year back( more i think). Matt is an expert,have been in touch with him for some queries. Even if megs launches, the prices are going to be more than double than that from the US, which is the case around the world even. However, for those willing to pay, can get stuff fast and locally, that is good.
Old 15th October 2010, 15:55   #3607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
You will see the final results by spraying a mist of water on the waxed and buffing again with a fresh mf cloth.
How would spraying water and again buffing immediately after buffing the wax off help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
I have used SHS for 14 years and have had no application complaints.
Since SHS is abrasive can you share your experience (frequency of application, how many coats, any other products along with this) using it on one car consistently.
Old 15th October 2010, 16:11   #3608
BHPian

Quote:
How would spraying water and again buffing immediately after buffing the wax off help?
Same question here as well.
Old 15th October 2010, 17:19   #3609
BHPian

My car just got back from service. The fenders are usually covered with some sort of well... "cover" to prevent damage, but ironically they have scratched the LHS & RHS fender. The damage to the paint is palpable as i can feel with my fingernail. Repaint seems the only option, which i hope the dealership will agree to at their cost.

My question is, the rest of my car is washed, clayed, rubbed, polished and waxed. Will i have to go through this entire elaborate process again on the repainted parts ? Or i should i let it be for a while ?

The paint shade is Black Sapphire Metallic.
Old 15th October 2010, 17:40   #3610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
Will i have to go through this entire elaborate process again on the repainted parts ? Or i should i let it be for a while ?
Why would there be a need to clay or polish a freshly painted part, you may want to just get it waxed at most but that too I think wouldn't be advisable for a freshly painted part. After about a week you can go ahead with applying wax on the fenders.
Old 15th October 2010, 20:51   #3611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would there be a need to clay or polish a freshly painted part, you may want to just get it waxed at most but that too I think wouldn't be advisable for a freshly painted part. After about a week you can go ahead with applying wax on the fenders.
A freshly painted panel MUST be polished (to get rid of that orange peel effect) and then waxed. The cleaning part can be skipped IMO.
Old 15th October 2010, 20:53   #3612
Senior - BHPian

My friend recommended this to me-

Welcome to Concepto Carz Spa........

has anyone used their services?

the other option for me is car parlour.

All the others are just too expensive for me...
Old 15th October 2010, 21:24   #3613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
A freshly painted panel MUST be polished (to get rid of that orange peel effect) and then waxed.
Can that be done just after getting a part painted? I guess we'll need to wait for a few days before doing it (I was told so when I got the ORVMs painted). Or is it not the case please clarify

Last edited by fine69 : 15th October 2010 at 21:26.
Old 15th October 2010, 21:35   #3614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can that be done just after getting a part painted? I guess we'll need to wait for a few days before doing it (I was told so when I got the ORVMs painted). Or is it not the case please clarify
Well if i am not mistaken, the paint (with clearcoat) should be given a couple of weeks to 'breathe' and settle in.
Then a treatment with a fine cutting polish should be done to even out the paint and couple of layers of wax+sealant added to lock in the gloss.
Old 15th October 2010, 21:42   #3615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Well if i am not mistaken, the paint (with clearcoat) should be given a couple of weeks to 'breathe' and settle in.
Then a treatment with a fine cutting polish should be done to even out the paint and couple of layers of wax+sealant added to lock in the gloss.
Bang on! When I got the ORVMs and door handles painted to body color (White Swift Ldi) the local paint guy told me to come after 4-5 days to get the polishing done so that the paint settles in.

He initially used some grit paper with water, then wiped it off and got on with polishing. That was when I knew zilch about car detailing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks