Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 18:18   #2851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_iceman11 View Post
Guys,
My OHC headlamp covers have become pale(Yellowish)...

Need some suggestions on cleaning them or can i get them polished ?!

Need places where its done in Mumbai !
Either use a headlamp restoration kit or use toothpaste!
I had seen this on TV in USA, that they used toothpaste to great effect while polishing headlamps.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:26   #2852
Senior - BHPian

Just experimented a lil' bit with a polish which is available locally!

I felt that some of the panels were not as glossy as before.(mostly the repainted ones)

So I did a small test spot in the area(rear part of left rear door)

I washed it with car wash shampoo > clayed thoroughly > 2-3 IPA wipedowns (to remove all the LSP)

Then analyzed the paint with a LED torch.(not that great for viewing defects, but if shown at an angle to the surface (45-60degree), one can view quite a few defects!

The reflections in that part were kinda dull as compared to the rear quarterpanel.

So started with Deep Crystal paint cleaner - 2 hits of 120secs work in period for each hit.(with a microfiber applicator pad, misted the pad with UQD at ~70 secs for extended workability.

after each hit > IPA wipedown

Then polished with 'Formula1 metallic car polish'(for trial purposes)
3 hits with 120secs work in period/hit. IPA wipedowns between each hit.

Results were > a definitely better finish. The super minor scratches left by the diamond cut compound were no longer there.

The LED's were being reflected accurately!

The only downside to the technique is that doing the whole car with hand is literally impossible in one go! I'm coming DA!

Here are a few pics (very minor differences are there)

Below two are pics of untreated area

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0010.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0012.jpg

Carried out all the steps but not yet sealed/waxed
Now LEDs reflect better(uniformly)
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0011.jpg

Pic of the surface metallic flakes
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0013.jpg

OMG! notice something?
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0013onoz.jpg

Other surface pics
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0014.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0017.jpg

I think if I had a DA, it would've been flawless!

Last edited by sohail99 : 12th August 2010 at 17:30.
Old 12th August 2010, 20:09   #2853
BHPian

MKH - Thats some really lovely pics ! All your elbow grease paid off well !
Btw, here is one article i found from Autogeek which gives some usefull pointers on how to capture pics of defects. You can check out the many pics of other cars uploaded to get an idea of how to postion yourself, the car, etc.

How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Am not too sure about the so called experts who will come for your session, doubt whether they would have as much vast knowledge as you do . Be prepared to see blank expressions when you ask them some technical questions !

Sohail - Agree with you on the QD, i recently found it useful when a dog peed on my bumper :( Just whipped out the bottle of UQD & wiped off with a micro. Peace of mind !

This ONR product has intrigued me. I always feel guilty about wasting precious water, will get me a bottle of this stuff ASAP.

Nice results ! What is that defect you found ? is it a stone chip ? I use a LED torch too to get hold of the defects ! I agree with you, working with a DA is so much easier. Garipagol's choice of the Flex has made me think of getting myself one too. The article below outlines how one can get professional results the first time around, im impressed !!

Proof the Average Guy can get Professional Results their first time Machine Polishing - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 12th August 2010 at 20:10.
Old 12th August 2010, 21:37   #2854

Sticky Dashboard On Tata Indigo plus other problems.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 16th August 2010 at 20:08.
rahulraa is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th August 2010, 14:39   #2855
BHPian

What are the car detailing products available in chennai, and where? Stuff that a first timer would use and not too expensive. I guess the clay, any lubricants for the clay, the wax and buffing cloth?
Old 13th August 2010, 18:01   #2856
Senior - BHPian

Just got off the phone with one of Jopasu's employees. Since I was in delhi he said that I could purchase the clay-bar off ebay but when I checked ebay the item wasn't available. I called them up again and he said that they were having issues with their ebay system and I should check for this item after around 2-3 days.
The cost he said for a clay-bar was somewhere around 1k but what really surprised me was when he mentioned that with a clay-bar I could clay the car....hold your breath......80 times!!!

Can it really be 80 times?
Old 13th August 2010, 18:41   #2857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Just got off the phone with one of Jopasu's employees. Since I was in delhi he said that I could purchase the clay-bar off ebay but when I checked ebay the item wasn't available. I called them up again and he said that they were having issues with their ebay system and I should check for this item after around 2-3 days.
The cost he said for a clay-bar was somewhere around 1k but what really surprised me was when he mentioned that with a clay-bar I could clay the car....hold your breath......80 times!!!

Can it really be 80 times?
What a 150Gm clay bar that too 80 times. Hope he didn't got confused with the use of clay as modeling clay. Can be used twice or thrice IMO though detailing experts are best to comment on this.
Old 13th August 2010, 18:53   #2858
Senior - BHPian

My latest quick detailing session results. Thanks Sohail for pointing out a good rubbing compound to ward off the hairline scratches. A few steps of paint correction followed by a coat of pure Carnauba wax on the sides and 2 on the hood and roof. Still to detail the tyres, rims and plastics though.I hope the outcome is satisfactory. What say guys.
PS: Pics courtesy phone cam.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image0421.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image0424.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image0426.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image0427.jpg  

Old 13th August 2010, 20:55   #2859
BHPian

awesome finish , great results. i too have same colour alto and will be posting results soon .
Old 14th August 2010, 11:02   #2860
BHPian

amazing results. Dark or deep ocean blue color looks beautiful when properly maintained. Good work dude samsag. What clay did you use?
Old 14th August 2010, 11:14   #2861
Senior - BHPian

I agree! great work. Hope you didn't forget to clay the windscreen and windows! (try it, its amazing)
Old 14th August 2010, 12:26   #2862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
awesome finish , great results. i too have same colour alto and will be posting results soon .
Thanks for the complement. Hoping to see yours outcome too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
amazing results. Dark or deep ocean blue color looks beautiful when properly maintained. Good work dude samsag. What clay did you use?
Yeah true. Darker shades demand a lot of care as compared to lighter shades but payback (result) is very motivational and the gloss and reflection says it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I agree! great work. Hope you didn't forget to clay the windscreen and windows! (try it, its amazing)
Thanks a lot. Now am looking out for some good windshield glass cleaner which can remove bird droppings and other foreign matter as claying is still not economical for me.

Guys can you suggest any good spray wax which can be locally available & be used in between the waxing sessions. I want to maintain the shine for atleast a month or so. Does the silicon based spray safe for this use. A good paste wax can also work for me. Do pour in your suggestions.
Old 14th August 2010, 13:45   #2863
Senior - BHPian

I think nanowax spray and formula1 spray wax are the only ones available locally!

nanowax spray is also listed on ebay - eBay India: Eagle One - NANOWAX® SPRAY (item 140429076378 end time 17-Aug-2010 16:51:21 IST)

^This spray wax contains fillers! It will temporarily hide all the minor swirls etc.

And no spray wax can last even a week(in Indian conditions). You have to constantly quickwax your paint every 4-7 days to maintain that shine!

I also tried Formula1 spray wax, but its durability is highly questionable(To be honest, I dont trust formula1 waxes, their polishes might be good though(will confirm after use with a DA))

Collinite no. 845, if you want durability!

For glass cleaner, I use Abel Auto glass cleaner and that stuff is real strong!! takes all kinds of contaminants right off the windscreen and other windows!

For bird poo removal - How to safely remove a dried bird dropping - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
Old 14th August 2010, 13:50   #2864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Got sonax car polish (325/-) and turtle wax platinum wash (350/-) yesterday from a shop near my office.
I guess now I am ready to try the wash-clay-UC/swirlx/scratchx-polish-wax regime.
Now only waiting for the monsoons to get over (btw its really HOT here in Kolkata now - could use some rain!)
The turtle wax platinum series performance car wash is great!
Just 1 cap of the concentrate produces a bucket of water with so much foam and cleaning power that one could wash 2 small cars with it! I managed to clean my i10 with half a bucket ! You guys should try this.

Didn't try anything else today as it is overcast with a slight drizzle here.
Old 14th August 2010, 14:51   #2865
Senior - BHPian

Help!!!

A street dog perched on my car's hood has created nasty scratch marks on the bonnet. Please tell me how to get rid of them. The car paint is white and the marks can be seen once you are close enough to the car.

Please HELP!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks