Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 13:40   #2101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
@f1head - these 20north noobs delivered my UQDs to another customer!!

Now if they make me wait another month then I'm never ordering from them again!

seriously, their system is messed up!!
I think something went wrong with their system and they probably mixed up on orders. I got my UQD order as it was supposed to. Its probably a bigger hassle to retrieve and trace than to reorder for them.

They seem to be reordering at their own expense, that's a good thing. , did you also get the email ?

Last edited by f1head : 17th April 2010 at 13:43.
Old 17th April 2010, 13:46   #2102
BHPian

I was considering to order a DA through 20north, but after reading through some reviews, Dropped the plan. They do charge more then other sellers, Buying directly is far better option, to be honest.
Old 17th April 2010, 16:16   #2103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
I was considering to order a DA through 20north, but after reading through some reviews, Dropped the plan. They do charge more then other sellers, Buying directly is far better option, to be honest.
They are pretty expensive but are reliable for most part. This is the 1st time I am having a problem with them and here too they contacted me themselves and resolved to correct the mistake. But I guess if you can buy directly its the best option, I do not see where they paid the customs duty they have charged me.

Last edited by f1head : 17th April 2010 at 16:18.
Old 17th April 2010, 19:11   #2104
Senior - BHPian

20North goofed up in my case also - says that the applicator pads are delivered even though I did not receive them. I put a mail through to the customer care - lets see what they come up with. With 5 more items still pending, I do not see this as a good sign.
Old 17th April 2010, 19:32   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Sohail have you ever used such a system? As of now I will be using it only to buff off the wax. I will be using it flat on the surface with a very light hand. A pictoral representation is shown below.

Any tips?
Yes! I've used a rotary buffer on my mom's U-VA mainly to buff off the wax!

I was searching for foam pads too but since no one had em I had to make my own!!(mine has a 180mm disc)

occasionally I use it to remove swirls etc.

tips... I'm new to this too!
very light hand as you said, is correct!

Check these out -
- Cobweb Swirls vs Rotary Buffer Swirls - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (heads-up on rotary buffer swirls!!)

- Help: Rotary Buffer Use - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

- Rotary Buffer Demo - Autopia.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post
I think something went wrong with their system and they probably mixed up on orders. I got my UQD order as it was supposed to. Its probably a bigger hassle to retrieve and trace than to reorder for them.

They seem to be reordering at their own expense, that's a good thing. , did you also get the email ?
Yup! I got their mail!

but since I'm going outta town early next month, even if they order a replacement I cant be there to receive it!(unless they ship it via 14 day express shipping)
Old 17th April 2010, 21:39   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
I was searching for foam pads too but since no one had em I had to make my own!!(mine has a 180mm disc)

occasionally I use it to remove swirls etc.
thanks for the links there.

I will be using the woolen pad to buff off the wax that ill apply by hand. I hope this is the right one. Its extremeyl soft.

As suggested, i will use a soft hand and will first try it on my esteem (white) to see if its ok
Old 17th April 2010, 21:57   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
since I'm going outta town early next month, even if they order a replacement I cant be there to receive it!(unless they ship it via 14 day express shipping)

no problem , ship it to my address
Old 18th April 2010, 09:37   #2108
BHPian

I woke up today early morning at 615, all excited to use the new rotary buffing wheel. Got the cars (magnum and the esteem) properly washed by the gaadi dhone wala. Dried it off myself.

Since its my first time with a rotary buffer, I decided to start with the esteem. I feel its working very well and a light hand and my hands are moving in a good flow. Very satisfied with the machine and with the woolen pad.

But there is a problem: I am using waxpol carnuba wax (the one in the orange tin). The wax gets dried too quickly and with a light hand the buffing wheel is unable to remove the wax fully. I started doing with the bootlid of the esteem. After doing half of it, I was shocked to see swril marks in reflection. But on close observation, I realised that its actually the dried wax that did not get buffed off.

Even though I was doing this part by part with roughly an area of 10"x10" at a time. But, waxpol dries too quickly and within a minute its hard. The buffing wheel left no swirl marks. I did not want to press the machine hard on the paint, so I buffed off the remaining wax by hand.

After doing the bootlid and half of the bonnet, I found the finish to be good, but final finishing has to be done by hand. So I decided to stop. Now i will buy another liquid wax thats easier to apply and is good to use with a rotary buffer. This I will do on next sunday

My fellow bhpians, I need your suggestion/advice here. My paint is in good condition and i dont want to use wax with any abbrasives. Please recommend me something that you think will suit me best.

PS: Sohail pls do advice
Old 18th April 2010, 11:54   #2109
Senior - BHPian

For Liquid wax, try -

- Turtle Wax Platinum series Precision car wax

its a blended wax containing both synthetic polymers and carnuba

I also feel that its wax layer is quite durable, attracts less dust and its easier to remove!

haven't tried the other Indian variants!

(had tried TW hard shell shine liquid wax way back but its kinda counterproductive!! so wouldn't recommend it)
Old 18th April 2010, 17:10   #2110
BHPian

Quote:
For Liquid wax, try -

- Turtle Wax Platinum series Precision car wax

its a blended wax containing both synthetic polymers and carnuba

I also feel that its wax layer is quite durable, attracts less dust and its easier to remove!

haven't tried the other Indian variants!

(had tried TW hard shell shine liquid wax way back but its kinda counterproductive!! so wouldn't recommend it)

Thanks sohail. Do you have any idea of how much it costs for what volume. Would be of help if you have this info
Old 18th April 2010, 20:20   #2111
Senior - BHPian

You can also experiment with 'layering' of wax coats for a better protection and a slightly more deep finish!

(basically 2 coats are done to ensure uniform wax coat on the whole car, as one coat might not be uniform!)
(ideal wait time between 2 coats = 12hrs)
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0004.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0005.jpg  

Old 18th April 2010, 20:32   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
You can also experiment with 'layering' of wax coats for a better protection and a slightly more deep finish!

(basically 2 coats are done to ensure uniform wax coat on the whole car, as one coat might not be uniform!)
(ideal wait time between 2 coats = 12hrs)

thanks a lot sohail . Pictures always speak more than words. I will keep you updated on my buy. I think ill wax it now directly on 1stMay.

BTW: if you know, i did apply waxpol manually over the last two sundays. Burnt a lot of calories but did manage to get a good shine in the 8hrs totally spent on it. I am attaching pictures of the car i took today morning.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00959.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-got-bhp-schwarzer-hengst.jpg  

Old 18th April 2010, 20:53   #2113
BHPian

Safari Cleaning

Hi Guys,
Dont know if this has already been addressed, nonetheless, I pose my question here:

I leave in a area with lot of roosting pigeons. And the parking slot for my car is such that the top of car gets real dirty with all their droppings.

I have installed a luggage carrier on the roof of my safari. Due to this it becomes very difficult for the car wash person to clean the roof everyday and more often he leaves it as is. Over the period of time, it has got real dirty and due to serious dearth of time I have not been able to go clean it myself.

I want to know if there is any tool available/ can be made that I can provide to my car wash person. However, the only problem is that as these guys wash a bout 4-5 cars in a short time, they will be using this haphazardly and may spoil the paint. Hence the scrubbing surface should be gentle yet effective.

Any help would really be greatly appreciated.
Old 18th April 2010, 21:36   #2114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyurshah View Post
Hi Guys,
Dont know if this has already been addressed, nonetheless, I pose my question here:

I leave in a area with lot of roosting pigeons. And the parking slot for my car is such that the top of car gets real dirty with all their droppings.

I have installed a luggage carrier on the roof of my safari. Due to this it becomes very difficult for the car wash person to clean the roof everyday and more often he leaves it as is. Over the period of time, it has got real dirty and due to serious dearth of time I have not been able to go clean it myself.

I want to know if there is any tool available/ can be made that I can provide to my car wash person. However, the only problem is that as these guys wash a bout 4-5 cars in a short time, they will be using this haphazardly and may spoil the paint. Hence the scrubbing surface should be gentle yet effective.

Any help would really be greatly appreciated.

Get a car cover.

Bird droppings are acidic in nature and tend to eat their way through the clear coat to the paint. Also, one should NEVER scrub to get bird droppings off.

Refer to this tutorial on how to remove bird droppings without damaging your paint:

How to safely remove a dried bird dropping - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
Old 18th April 2010, 23:28   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
thanks a lot sohail . Pictures always speak more than words. I will keep you updated on my buy. I think ill wax it now directly on 1stMay.

BTW: if you know, i did apply waxpol manually over the last two sundays. Burnt a lot of calories but did manage to get a good shine in the 8hrs totally spent on it. I am attaching pictures of the car i took today morning.
All I could say is... Whoa!!!

that shine speaks a lot about your hardwork put in it!!
amazing work man!

I'm kinda lazy + it gets sunny here quite quickly so I haven't used a paste wax or tub as yet! lol

but seriously, amazing(head-turning) shine there!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks