Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2010, 22:06   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Yup!! Teflon coating is a revolutionary tech!

but here in India, all the dealers refer to washing and waxing or polishing and waxing as 'Teflon'

Its even written all over the dealership on flex boards(talk about the height of misinformation and their confidence in that wrong information)

One guy at Hyundai showroom asked me whether I'd like to get my i20 teflon coated!
to which I replied that I 'teflon coat' it every month at home myself(cuz I knew what they were referring teflon coating to) and the guy was totally satisfied!

Actual teflon coating requires a oven or slightly higher temp treatment and cannot be done at home lol!

so basically TBHP doesn't recommend 'Indian Teflon' !

@_raviShankar_ - You need divide each panel into equal parts as you feel convenient!

then pour some glaze on an applicator pad or soft MF towel and apply to one part at a time in straight lines(to and fro)
don't apply in circles(as we do with wax)

don't press too hard

> keep switching (from straight line (to and fro) to up and down )
> keep working in until the glaze dries (make sure that you are working in shade and not in direct sunlight)
> then wipe the dried glaze with a clean MF towel

like that complete the whole panel(I know it sounds hectic)
You will start to see the change immediately on the part you worked on when comparing it to the non treated part of the panel!

Last edited by sohail99 : 24th April 2010 at 22:17.
Old 24th April 2010, 22:33   #2162
BHPian

@ sohail will post some pictures soon.

BTW the instructions on the megs glaze i have specifically tells you not to let the glaze dry and to remove it when wet itself . Please check on your product for details.

Edit- I think there are a very few places that do the original TEFLON coating in india. That is what is being discussed here . I remember reading that GTO had done teflon coating for his INDIGO and had some problems with it ( fine cracks appearing ) when he parked it in the sun for an extended period. Also the reason they dont recommend it here is because it is more difficult to do touch up jobs and paint correction on a teflon coated paint surface.

As you rightly pointed out in most showrooms that offer free teflon coating when you buy a car , what is being done is just some polishing and waxing which would be done as default for all cars before delivery!

Last edited by -NUT-case : 24th April 2010 at 22:40.
Old 24th April 2010, 22:45   #2163
Senior - BHPian

I had used DuPont highlighting glaze and it needs to be removed when wet!

If it dries due to sunlight then its a pain to remove! but if it dries while working in(out of sunlight or in) then we can remove it by wetting it with a thin layer of fresh glaze!(I think )

same as for some of the stubborn waxes!
Old 24th April 2010, 23:24   #2164
BHPian

Thats the way i remove the hazed wax usually. Otherwise the workout is tougher especially when you are using waxpol carnauba wax. A very good product at a very cheap rate.
Any idea about locally available clay bars ?
Old 24th April 2010, 23:25   #2165
BHPian

Suggest me a car cover! I had a plastic cover, which flies off with wind and a source of swirl marks, then I bought a miltary cover ,its too heavy and has a plastic inner to protect from water, which in turns lead to marks!!

Any wash mitts locally available?
Old 24th April 2010, 23:41   #2166
Senior - BHPian

No idea regarding locally available clay bars! (you can try other methods mentioned in the link in one of my previous posts!)

Here in Delhi, I saw a few wash mitts at Khan Market!

for covers you should get a Tyvek car cover made by 'Polco'

check out this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/13386-dupont-tyvek-car-covers-worth.html

Last edited by sohail99 : 24th April 2010 at 23:45.
Old 25th April 2010, 14:27   #2167
BHPian

@ Sohail99 : by khan market u mean roy auto ???
Old 25th April 2010, 15:05   #2168
Senior - BHPian

You need to check out all the shops in the 'Car shop' area!

Kaysons and a shop on left side of that had a green wash mitt!
Old 27th April 2010, 15:26   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Guys any idea from where I can buy a waxing machine? Its a handheld device which you can use to wax your car.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:17   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Suggest me a car cover! I had a plastic cover, which flies off with wind and a source of swirl marks, then I bought a miltary cover ,its too heavy and has a plastic inner to protect from water, which in turns lead to marks!!

Any wash mitts locally available?
Check the 3M car cover.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:39   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys any idea from where I can buy a waxing machine? Its a handheld device which you can use to wax your car.
I just bought one from Vashi 2 weeks ago. Turbhe Market to be precise. Dont know about where you can get one in Pune, but it should be available at a market that sells tools and electrical constuction equipments. If you cant find one then let me know, we can work something out to get it from Vashi.
Old 27th April 2010, 18:55   #2172
Senior - BHPian

^^^^^^

Whats a 'waxing machine'? Are you refering to DA polishers?
Old 27th April 2010, 19:21   #2173
BHPian

Clay bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
Any idea about locally available clay bars ?
Try out Methods Automotive in B'lore. They are the dealers for Sonax products. But they do not carry the whole range. Sonax has a nice polyclay. You may also ask them if they will get it for you. Some members can pool together the MOQ I'm sure. You will find them here,

Methods Car Parts and Car Accessories Online Shop and Distributors in Bangalore India, K&N Performance Filters, Sparco Motorsport Accessories

If you use local / vague brands be careful. Here is a caveat ...

"the detail bars have controled levels of abrasiveness, from very fine suitable for polishing chrome and buffing light scratches or overspray off surface of clear coat, to medium grit which will very quickly take off clear coat if you aren’t careful. Never use clay dry and ensure surface of vehicle is clean before using. If you ever drop it on ground or otherwise let it get contaminated with dust, dirt, etc. dispose of immediately or it will do horrible things to your paint."

Let us know what you find.

Rgds
Old 27th April 2010, 21:34   #2174
Senior - BHPian

I need the DA!! I saw a few pics where a detailer guy used 3M perfect it swirl remover and a DA

results were totally shocking!! DA is indeed a worthy investment in my opinion!
20north is out!

hope someone can bring it down from US?
I'll ask Carz spa for some help regarding this!
Old 27th April 2010, 22:57   #2175
BHPian

@ Garipagol : Thanks for the information. Will go and check the place, mostly on the weekend.
Lets see what they have in stock .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks