Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 22:28   #2311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I think this is a reliable option -

- Globeshopper - Online Shopping in USA , Save on Shipping | Citibank India

- Borderlinx - create your own US and UK address and shop online!

Cheaper than 20north.com

only downside is, you need to have a citbank credit card!
seems like I might be getting one then!

+ side -> buy stuff from UK too!

Duties and taxes FAQ - Borderlinx - create your own US and UK address and shop online!

Sohail , thats hell of a news because i have a citibank Credit card , Please explain the process
Old 19th May 2010, 00:23   #2312
BHPian

Why do you detail?

A nice write up from www.web-cars.com

Everyone needs a goal

For the experienced car detailer, the car has to look "right". That may seem to be a vague statement, but there really is no better way to put it. It's the little things that add up. A detailing regiment that avoids scratches will prevent the surface from looking dull.

When you are finished detailing the car, take a few minutes to look at it from a variety of angles. Think it over. Then ask yourself, "Does it look 'right'?"

The Big Wrap Up

The products and techniques we've talked about are best thought of as suggestions. They are by no means the final word on the subject. It is however, what we have found works well and feel comfortable with. But we encourage you to experiment, observe the results and make your own judgments. This is what a good detailer does. In doing so, you will become a better detailer and your car will look better.

So why do we do it? It is a lot of work. Family, friends and neighbors question your sanity. No matter how good a job you do, there is room for improvement. And the harder you work, the quicker it is undone by a mud puddle or tree sap.

Some people justify it by the envious reactions of friends and strangers who wish their cars looked half as good. Others point to the resale value of a car in excellent condition and insist that they are merely protecting their investment. Individuals who use left brain reasoning will tell you that a properly detailed car lasts longer.

But those who use such reasoning are missing the point. And if you consider washing your car to be a chore, then you are, shall we say, "not with the program". The real reason can be found in the automobile experience itself. Anybody can own a car. But having respect for the machinery by keeping it new despite the ravages of time, - well, that takes someone special.

Regards
Old 19th May 2010, 01:13   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
I think this is a reliable option -

- Globeshopper - Online Shopping in USA , Save on Shipping | Citibank India

- Borderlinx - create your own US and UK address and shop online!

Cheaper than 20north.com

only downside is, you need to have a citbank credit card!
seems like I might be getting one then!

+ side -> buy stuff from UK too!

Duties and taxes FAQ - Borderlinx - create your own US and UK address and shop online!
Check out this UK site. They stock both US & UK products. The local shipping is free....

Quality detailing , valeting, car care products including Meguiars , Autoglym , Dodo Juice , Mothers , Gliptone , Wurth & S100 Car Wax, Car Polish and car / motorcycle cleaning tools - Performance Motorcare - Great Prices & FREE UK Delivery @ Perform

Rgds
Old 19th May 2010, 13:01   #2314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post

Everyone needs a goal

For the experienced car detailer, the car has to look "right". That may seem to be a vague statement, but there really is no better way to put it. It's the little things that add up. A detailing regiment that avoids scratches will prevent the surface from looking dull.

When you are finished detailing the car, take a few minutes to look at it from a variety of angles. Think it over. Then ask yourself, "Does it look 'right'?"

The Big Wrap Up

The products and techniques we've talked about are best thought of as suggestions. They are by no means the final word on the subject. It is however, what we have found works well and feel comfortable with. But we encourage you to experiment, observe the results and make your own judgments. This is what a good detailer does. In doing so, you will become a better detailer and your car will look better.

So why do we do it? It is a lot of work. Family, friends and neighbors question your sanity. No matter how good a job you do, there is room for improvement. And the harder you work, the quicker it is undone by a mud puddle or tree sap.

Some people justify it by the envious reactions of friends and strangers who wish their cars looked half as good. Others point to the resale value of a car in excellent condition and insist that they are merely protecting their investment. Individuals who use left brain reasoning will tell you that a properly detailed car lasts longer.

But those who use such reasoning are missing the point. And if you consider washing your car to be a chore, then you are, shall we say, "not with the program". The real reason can be found in the automobile experience itself. Anybody can own a car. But having respect for the machinery by keeping it new despite the ravages of time, - well, that takes someone special.

Regards
Now thats touching!!

It happens with me all the time!
whenever I'm out detaling, my neighbors think I'm crazy! even my mom does!

but after I'm done and start to gaze at it from different angles, the shine makes me feel real happy!

+ I know I'm protecting the paintwork, plastics etc. so I kinda feel confident while driving!

also ppl are constantly looking at our detailed rides at red lights(I used to find it fascinating but now it annoys me!)

never the less, Detailing = paint cleaning, surface correction, glazing(o) and protecting(+gloss and head-turning shine as bonuses! )

Last edited by sohail99 : 19th May 2010 at 13:08.
Old 19th May 2010, 13:16   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post

Everyone needs a goal

The Big Wrap Up

Regards
Well, I think thats the situation with each one of us. Is'nt it?

People fail to understand what I'm doing all Sunday. They find it funny, but I am thoroughly enjoying what I'm doing.

And it will always pay off when you compare a car of similar age to yours, you konw what your hardwork has done. It will definitely bring a smile on your face. So, keep on the good work!

My ride is my pride!

Last edited by benzinblut : 19th May 2010 at 13:18.
Old 19th May 2010, 19:19   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Had detailed my i20's engine bay this morning!

It was super dusty!(you could imagine the dust in the engine bay after nearly 3K kms!)

sorry no before pics(it was so dusty that I couldn't stop myself from cleaning it asap!)

Enjoy the after pics
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0001.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0002.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0003.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0004.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0005.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0006.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0007.jpg  

Old 19th May 2010, 20:12   #2317
BHPian

Wow Sohail!

That's some amazing work The after pics are so awesome, even cleaner than when your I20 rolled out of the showroom i guess ! Five stars to your detailing !

Please do enlighten us on the procedure & what you used, some WIP pics perhaps
Old 19th May 2010, 21:21   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Oh! I'm just an amateur!!

(before washing, just as a precautionary measure - Cover the alternator with a small plastic bag)

btw I got hold of a bottle which you might have seen with ppl who are applying sunfilms
(white bottle/jar with a spray attachment and a manual pressure pump)

Its great for this type of washing!(for isolated places) (I didn't use a hose or a continuous water source)

and I used distilled water without any form of salts(as when it dries, it doesn't leave any residue)

if hard water dries on the engine, it leaves behind calcium salts which bake over time due to engine heat and then after-wards, are a pain to remove!!

also car wash shampoo in a spray bottle and a brush to lather up and remove dust etc. in hard to reach areas!

after washing, instead of firing up the engine to dry it I wiped it down and dressed!

looked nice!
Old 19th May 2010, 21:32   #2319
Senior - BHPian

That i20 is just out of the assembly line na. Kudos to you Sohail for this amazing work of art. Keep up the good work and let us be motivated by your tiredness.
Old 19th May 2010, 21:56   #2320
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs ! Btw, what did you use for the dressing ? I used vinyl dressing once & the results were good !

How did you get the inner panels of the hood so sparkling
Old 19th May 2010, 22:04   #2321
Senior - BHPian

^ Vinyl dressings on rubber pipes and hoses which are away from the engine!

and slight Tire gel(I had Megs tire gel at hand) on hoses and pipes closer to the engine(as it can withstand slightly higher temps)

An all purpose sealant on plastics

hood was washed with car shampoo and brush used to work up lather + it can reach into those small holes etc.

then sprayed down > wiped > sealant

Thanks a lot samsag12 ! I'm really glad that you see it as a work of art!
Old 19th May 2010, 23:09   #2322
Senior - BHPian

Sohail, don't you think so much detailing to a car which is protected by 3 covers and driven less (as till date you've only covered 3k kms) will actually do more bad than good. I don't mean to offend you but I'm saying all this in the light of the better quality of paintwork our cars have. For almost 2 years with the Xing, I didn't know what detailing was and when I was introduced to this it meant Car Shampoo and Wax, nothing else on regular basis and voila, here comes the shine. Just to add, I don't use a car cover and my car is parked on busy streets exposed to all dust, pollution, water marks etc. one can think of.

I've lately started noticing old cars and on comparing it with the views I come across here, it seems we're actually more of theory guys than practical. Even a regular car wash daily along with regular waxing is enough to maintain its shine in the long run and I highly feel that the difference from using high-end products once in a bluemoon on a car which is regularly washed and waxed won't be too great.

Moreover, my uncle will be heading to SIN and I hope he should be able to adjust my cart in his heavy luggage upon arrival. Any suggestions?

By the way, I think I should meet you to get a first hand experience of DIY Pro work. Certain terms here simply refuse to get into my head.

Last edited by tsk13 : 19th May 2010 at 23:14.
Old 19th May 2010, 23:59   #2323
Senior - BHPian

I understand!

but I actually meant that I last detailed the engine bay 3k KMs ago!!
currently its at 4600km after 6 months!

actually I cant stand anything dusty(kinda cleanliness freak! )

I also noticed that the clear coat on my i20 is quite fragile!
even a lil' bit of wrong technique/ lil' dust on the towel or fall out can cause swirls really easily!

I've heard that Mercs and BMWs have clearcoats as hard as glass!!(downside to that is DIY scratch removal, upside - kinda swirl resistant(but they do form over time, thanks to defective technique)

also the 2-cover thing is quite logical! when winds build up, the 2nd cover actually prevents the buffing up of the cover which is in contact with the car's body > decreased scratches

I literally love my i20 and hence the effort!(dunno how else to show my love to the car)

I'd like to quote this agn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol

Everyone needs a goal

The Big Wrap Up

Regards

Last edited by sohail99 : 20th May 2010 at 00:07.
Old 20th May 2010, 00:25   #2324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand!

but I actually meant that I last detailed the engine bay 3k KMs ago!!
currently its at 4600km after 6 months!

actually I cant stand anything dusty(kinda cleanliness freak! )

I also noticed that the clear coat on my i20 is quite fragile!
even a lil' bit of wrong technique/ lil' dust on the towel or fall out can cause swirls really easily!

I've heard that Mercs and BMWs have clearcoats as hard as glass!!(downside to that is DIY scratch removal, upside - kinda swirl resistant(but they do form over time, thanks to defective technique)

also the 2-cover thing is quite logical! when winds build up, the 2nd cover actually prevents the buffing up of the cover which is in contact with the car's body > decreased scratches

I literally love my i20 and hence the effort!(dunno how else to show my love to the car)

I'd like to quote this agn!
Appreciate your concern and hope you took it in the right spirit.

Rather than just focussing on detailing in the quotation, every task in this world if executed with passion and dedication will surely find a mention amongst those who'll be astonished to see the work and this is where one stands out in the crowd. The Japanese concept of 'Kaizen' very well fits here as the day we think there is no scope for further improvement, the development process ceases to exist.

Well, I was awaiting recommendations from your side regarding the Detailing stuff and about the meet but seems you forgot in the light of my initial paragraph.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:57   #2325
BHPian

@sohail: Good job there! The engine bay is looking neat and tidy like the engine's never been started. Way to go boy!

I am sure that you must have taken precautionary measures. Not to discourage you, I must mention that unlike other parts of the car, the engine bay is exposed to extreme heat. Use of proper cleaning material is very important (rather, avoiding wront stuff is more important). Plus, one must avoid high pressure water cleaning here. This area is very critical and one wrong move will do more harm than good. So, to anyone who is inspired by sohail, please keep this in mind.

@tsk13: Yes, sometimes I too think, are we overcautious? But that how it has to be if you wanna maintain your shine for years. Especially for dark colors, you must maintian it from day1. But at the same time, we must make sure that the frequency of detailing, the detailing stuff and all other things are just right so that we dont cause any damage in our quest for everlasting shine.

Sohail has somehing new every week to post so it might give an impression that he is overdoing it. But I'm sure he has a big big smille while he is reading this post eagerly for comments

Last edited by benzinblut : 20th May 2010 at 09:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks