Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 22:20   #2356
BHPian

Did you opt for complete car detailing or Paint refinement&coating?
Divine Carzspa
Old 24th May 2010, 22:37   #2357
Senior - BHPian

Actually the wetsanding was only done on the repainted panel(right rear quarter-panel, left side rear and front doors(had some old dents etc.))

as usual, even after carefully taking care of my i20, some swirls had crept in

and the expert guy at carz spa, damn he has an obsession with attention to detail!

while paint correcting he might have looked at each panel from 50 different angles just so that he didn't leave any spot! (its a great and a rare thing)

and my i20 is 6months old now! I've retained the plastic covers as I'm the only one who travels in it and no one kinda told me to do it + I feel retaining them = less cleaning required for the seats! :P

Why I went to carz spa?

From past experience with hyundai bodyshops, I knew that their wet-sanding jobs is crappy to say the least!(they even went to the extent of saying that I should've bought a white car!(just so their job was easier!! WTH))

all the panels wet sanded by them had 'orange peel' and it looked disgusting!

thats why I started to inquire who else could do a proper wetsanding job for me! then I found divine carz spa!(thanks to tsk13 as he posted a link somewhere here)

Since they had worked on quite a few high end cars + they used megs products etc. was the main factor that led me to them!

I opted for full car detailing as they had the proper machine tools/megs pads/megs products and most of all experience + attention to detail!

in all, it cost me Rs.3,900/-(incl. all four door interior cleaning and tyre cleaning) I opted out of dashboard and tyre dressings as I had loads of them at home already!

@rajesh_carspa - actually the repainted panels were cut using that pad!

+ I had gone for a 3 layer clearcoat at bodyshop to make the paint more cut friendly!

@all - I have a pic of their rates for different services if anyone is interested!

Last edited by sohail99 : 24th May 2010 at 22:44.
Old 24th May 2010, 22:50   #2358
BHPian

Awesome sohail , Post the pic of rates of diffrent services .
Old 24th May 2010, 22:59   #2359
Senior - BHPian

Here you go!
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-rates1.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-rates2.jpg  

Old 24th May 2010, 23:21   #2360
BHPian

Thanks Sohail,

Had a doubt with regards to the section Paint refinement & coating systems

4, 6 & 7 coat ?? What does it mean exactly ? Your views please !

Btw. their rate for high end cars are a complete rip - off ! A Beemer doesn't have all that much more surface area than a ANHC !

Finally could take outdoor pics of the Beemer, these are the results with a nice wash down with Sonax shampoo & 2 coats of Nxt 2.0
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00672.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00673.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00676.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc00737.jpg  

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 24th May 2010 at 23:31.
Old 25th May 2010, 00:17   #2361
Senior - BHPian

No idea on the coatings!

I guess they apply the first layer of sealant and then keep layering it with wax or sealant(they use Megs high tech yellow wax)

btw your beemer looks awesome!!

I'm yet to see such mirror shine on the beemers here! great work man!
Old 25th May 2010, 08:51   #2362
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sohail. The use of Masking Tape is a welcome change, a mark of professional work.

Sohail, is Clay available locally? I mean don't bodyshop guys use it?

Last edited by tsk13 : 25th May 2010 at 08:53.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:07   #2363
Senior - BHPian

I was talking to them(bodyshop guys) regarding overspray removal! they said they'll use rubbing compound!!

I told them that clay is available for the same purpose but even the top guy there had no idea what I was talking about! :(
Old 25th May 2010, 14:11   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
Nice Write up !!! However I guess its not applicable for people who dont travel abroad frequently . I mean when will we get all this stuff in India. From last 6 months I am searching clay for surface preperation. I guess we do not get it in India
Not really. Look out for friends who travel. This stuff does not weigh much. You can try the Citibank facility someone has mentioned in the thread. You can get a US/UK delivery address and the Citi partner will deliver to your door. Unlike 20 North which is a crook (they hike the price and then charge high shipping) with this facility you buy online from the sites directly. Some of the UK sites offer free local shipping so you pay for the international leg only. Obviously it will be a little expensive. 1 KG is USD 24.00. You can get 2 16 oz bottles of polish / sealant which will last you for 2 years !

Zaino will ship you the Z2 and the ZFx for 25 singapore dollars. Should take care of your polishing needs for over a year.

Depends on how gung-ho you are about detailing !!!

Regards

Sid
Old 25th May 2010, 14:56   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Thanks Sohail,

Btw. their rate for high end cars are a complete rip - off ! A Beemer doesn't have all that much more surface area than a ANHC !

Finally could take outdoor pics of the Beemer, these are the results with a nice wash down with Sonax shampoo & 2 coats of Nxt 2.0
If they apply 7 layers of sealant you will have to leave the car with them for 7 days !! Since most sealants take 24 hours to cure. It must be some other ruse to lighten your pocket. The assumption is if you have a "high end car" you must be having a "deep end pocket". Try buying a bunch of flowers from the roadside vendor. The price will be double if you drive up in your beamer.

Where are you stopped - looks like the highway. You have your hazard on I see but be careful when stopping on these roads. A colleague of mine (in Chennai) stopped since his wife was feeling sick. Fortunately they both stepped out of the car - a corolla. It got collected by a truck !

Sonax has a nice clay. Check here Methods Car Parts and Car Accessories Online Shop and Distributors in Bangalore India, K&N Performance Filters, Sparco Motorsport Accessories - this is in b'lore. They are Sonax reps for India. See if they will get it for you.

Regards
Old 25th May 2010, 20:47   #2366
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Sohail,

Nirmal, The side view photos are a little misleading. The one you showed from the top view shows the dulling on the flat surfaces like bonnet, top. I don't know whether the car was dirty and it was giving the oxidative haze or just plain dirt. NXT is good for regular waxing but in our weather it does attract dust, like majority of waxes. Once you have dust then it will be a very difficult task eliminating swirls. You could hide that with the waxes, but then it will just take a few washes and they will reappear. Just my two bit of observation on your process. I have seen gleaming black mercs but when you go near, they are filled with cobwebs and swirls. Their owners like the gleam and ignore the swirls and cobwebs. I think that is our Indian moto: Chalta Hai.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:17   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh_carspa View Post
Just my two bit of observation on your process. I have seen gleaming black mercs but when you go near, they are filled with cobwebs and swirls. Their owners like the gleam and ignore the swirls and cobwebs. I think that is our Indian moto: Chalta Hai.
Yes you are absolutely correct. On my black optra, after a waxing session, it looks awesome from a little distance. Swirls are also reduced drastically, but they still exist. And they reappear after about 10-15 washes and I hate it. One remedy for this is to reduce the no of washes and its frequency and to use a duster.

You mentioned that our weather attracts dust. Whats your suggestion to this? On black color, I am using Turtle wax and havent used any polishing compount used yet. Can you throw some light on what should I do for detailing and to take regular care so that swirls do not reapeear. I am trying to find a solution to this problem since a long time. I know you ar an expert on this

Last edited by benzinblut : 25th May 2010 at 21:18.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:20   #2368
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Sohail,

Nirmal,
Liked your photos. My little comment on these is not being too critical but just some observation.

The side view photos of any car normally come out good as that is the clear coat being reflected. The top view photo is showing either the car is dirty or the oxidative haze is still there. Waxing normally with our Indian condition attract dust and that is why just after a few washes the swirls which are hidden by waxing show up again.

I have seen many BLACK Mercs gleaming with waxing, but when you go near the car the cobwebs and swirls hit you. Unfortunately we accept the gloss but don't work to having a totally swirl free finish before waxing. Our Indian mentality is normally: Chalta hai.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:29   #2369
Senior - BHPian

Actually the swirls are a result of wrong washing technique!!

always use the 2 bucket method with grit guard if possible! - How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!)
Old 25th May 2010, 22:28   #2370
BHPian

sohail do you wash your car yourself or someone does it for you? how often do you wash your car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks