Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 07:44   #2446
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
ThinkBig, how did you change your handle? It was rajesh_carzspa earlier and now ThinkBig.

By the way you were working on different products, did you come to a final solution?
People out there were getting confused that I was working for a company and trying to promote its products. Hence I changed the handle. Hope this simplifies my replies and does not mislead people.

As regards to products, we are coming nearer to the solution. With monsoons just starting it will give us another phase for testing. In summers the product performed well.
Old 11th June 2010, 10:34   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
People out there were getting confused that I was working for a company and trying to promote its products. Hence I changed the handle. Hope this simplifies my replies and does not mislead people.

As regards to products, we are coming nearer to the solution. With monsoons just starting it will give us another phase for testing. In summers the product performed well.
What product? Did i miss something?

BTW: that shine on the hood of the baleno was just too good. Would be like benchmark for me. Great job
Old 11th June 2010, 12:33   #2448
BHPian

@ThinkBig , Great results , Products and step by step technique please !!!
Old 11th June 2010, 18:49   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Nice! I love product testing!!

especially Megs!
Old 11th June 2010, 20:53   #2450
BHPian

please tell me about all the products used and how to maintain this type of finish.
Old 12th June 2010, 11:38   #2451
BHPian

Ha Ha,

I really was expecting this comment its not the finish quality of my ride but bad picture quality of the mobile camera. It was just a 1.3 megapixel cam. Will click better pictures and post them here.

Vish

Quote:
Vish,

Did you do the job yourself or got it done? I think whoever did the job did a terrible job (exterior). At least that is what the photos depict. No gloss, no sheen, terrible!!!

I think if you got it done, they took you for a ride.

Black is such a beautiful color that your finish should have been glowing compared to the other cars.

Sorry, but this is my critical observation.

This is how good the finish should be with a proper product and a little skilled hands.

This is a 6 year old Baleno done only with a paint sealant and no wax.
Old 12th June 2010, 14:36   #2452
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvishwanathan View Post
Ha Ha,

I really was expecting this comment its not the finish quality of my ride but bad picture quality of the mobile camera. It was just a 1.3 megapixel cam. Will click better pictures and post them here.

Vish
Vish,
If it was the camera, then all the cars besides yours would have the same look. Anyway, if you like it then what the hell!!. Happy driving.
Old 12th June 2010, 21:09   #2453
Senior - BHPian

^Thinkbig , please do post on how to get the finish like the black balenos.. I think its really hard maintaining a black car since it shows up swirl marks so easily
Old 12th June 2010, 21:34   #2454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vish,
If it was the camera, then all the cars besides yours would have the same look. Anyway, if you like it then what the hell!!. Happy driving.
Request you to let all of your fellow TBhpians know about how to obtain such shine as on the black Baleno, whose picture you posted earlier.

And I want such shine visible through a 0.3 MP camera
Old 14th June 2010, 10:18   #2455
Senior - BHPian

I think the way to getting that shine depends -

- 80% on the quality, dedication and know-how of the prep work (claying, defect-removal(with rotary or with hand) (defects - swirls, light scratches,hologram removal), pure-polishing(Glazes)

- Rest 20% on the sealant and waxing procedure to protect the finish! a good sealant like M21 or NXT TechWax can do the job!

+ point of M21 is that it can be layered in order to make the sealant last longer! (I layer NXT tech wax too)

after the prep and sealant, a pure carnauba wax topped up on a sealant which has been cured for 24hrs after application = kinda like the above shine!

as carnauba adds the 'jetting' effect( with sealant you will get a shine but carnauba adds an element of depth to it)

Then it looks like as if the surface is immersed in water!

Again!, 80% prep work!

Waxes and sealants just protect and what you see is the panel which if properly prepped will definitely shine like hell!!

Last edited by sohail99 : 14th June 2010 at 10:28.
Old 14th June 2010, 11:20   #2456
BANNED

Fellow TBhpians,
Sorry for not replying to your requests earlier. Regarding the results obtained on the Baleno the process was with the help of a nano based product. The product is yet not available in the Indian market. It is under going extensive testing. Once the testing is over and its availability is there we will definitely inform all the TBhpian enthusiasts about the exact details.
Just not to keep the process too secretive we shall let all know the process we adopted.
1) We used a alkaline product to remove any previous wax on the car.
2) We then shampooed the car with a neutral product.
3) We used clay bar to smoothen the surface and remove any imbedded impurities.
4) We then wiped clean the car and inspected it for swirls and scratches. We found many, especially on the bonnet.
5) We used a lambs wool pad with a rotary machine and a polishing compound (also under trial given by the same supplier of the nano-based sealant). Ran the machine at 1000-1200 rpm with 2-3 passes.
6) Then used the 3M finishing pad with the same polishing compound and removed any holograms, fibre marks etc. This time we ran the machine at 1200-1500 rpm.
7) Wiped clean any residue with IPA (Isopropyl alcohol)-50/50.
8) Inspected our results with a halogen torch lamp for any flaws still remaining in the paint.
9) We applied 3 coats of the product as the product could be layered. The supplier claims it to be highly resistant to bird dropping, tree sap etc. Also resistant to swirls because of the 6H hardness of the product.

This is what we achieved.

I think by end of June we will be finishing our testing as the monsoons will be our final tests. They claim the product to be excellent for alloys and we would like to see how they stand up to our monsoons and dirty roads of Mumbai.

Let me know if any of you would like any clarifications.
Old 14th June 2010, 12:20   #2457
BHPian

So, basically, not kind of DIY - is it? Any idea how much the whole process will cost? I am expecting it would cost a bomb!
Old 14th June 2010, 13:02   #2458

ThinkBig can you refer any one in Delhi for such type of work ? i would love to get same sort of detailing on my baleno too.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:35   #2459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucksin View Post
ThinkBig can you refer any one in Delhi for such type of work ? i would love to get same sort of detailing on my baleno too.
Lucksin, I can recommend two people who can detail your ride but don't know if the process is the same as that used by ThinkBig.
  • Pandit & Co., Okhla Phase-3
  • Carzspa, Gurgaon
Old 14th June 2010, 16:05   #2460
Senior - BHPian

^Yup!!

Divine carz spa go through the same steps! but they use Megs products and nothing else!!

btw I'd definitely like to try out their nano based sealant!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks